Fast

Living Soul

:salam2:

If a person fasts on Friday. Is it necessary for him to fast on saturday as well?
I have heard that there is a hadeeth of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) telling to fast on mondays and Thursdays. But what if a person did not fast on Thursday but on Friday. So my friend says that it is encumbent for you to fast on saturday as well. I need confirmation.

:wasalam:

iloveislam78

SALAM BRO /SIS

yes it is not allowed to fast either Friday or Saturday on their own, so if your going to fast on the friday you must make niyaat also to fast on the Saturday and if your going to fast on the Saturday again niyaat must be made to fast on the sunday.

your sis in islam :muslim_child:

iloveislam78

sorry

sorry yup Monday and Thursdays are good days to fast because the prophet saw used to advise ppl to fast on these days......

doesnt mean you cant fast on other day, but those would be the better of days.

sorry i didnt answer you in one post i aint half a bat at times lol.

Maha*

yes it is not allowed to fast either Friday or Saturday on their own, so if your going to fast on the friday you must make niyaat also to fast on the Saturday and if your going to fast on the Saturday again niyaat must be made to fast on the sunday.

your sis in islam :muslim_child:

Could you provide reference for that please?

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salamu 'Alaikum sisters!!

Yes, you actually have to fast on sat as well, if yu fasted on Fri as sis 'ilove islam' said.

I read something on a book that was like this once,
"The prophet (salAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) prohibited fasting the day of Friday on its own. One of his wives entered upon him or it was him who entered upon her and he found her fasting [on a Friday] so he asked her:

"did you fast yesterday?"

... and she replied:

"no"

...he asked her:

"are you going to fast tomorrow?"

... she replied:

"no"

...so he said:

"break your fast"."

Because if yu Fast Fri alone, that's disliked but not in the absoloute sense.IF yu fasted the day before or the day after it, then i don't think there any objection in that. So fasting on a Friday is disliked for the one who intended to fast it and singled it out for fasting [only] due to the saying of the prophet (salAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam):

“Do not single out the Friday for fasting nor its night for standing [in prayer – i.e. Thursday night]"

Allah knows best!

abu'muhammad

If a person fasts on Friday. Is it necessary for him to fast on saturday as well?
I have heard that there is a hadeeth of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) telling to fast on mondays and Thursdays. But what if a person did not fast on Thursday but on Friday. So my friend says that it is encumbent for you to fast on saturday as well. I need confirmation.

:wasalam:

What I think is, your friend said you to fast any three days of month that is encouraged through sunnah besides fasting on Monday and Friday. So when you leave fast on Thursday and make it on friday, the sunnah of fasting on Monday-Thursday is not made.-And Allaah knows the best

Hence you could follow the sunnah of fasting three days in a month, of what the most preferable from hadith is on 13th,14th and 15th of the lunar month (ayyaam al-beed),

Have a look at following hadeeth in regard to both sunnahs of fasting in a month, and the fatwa from shaykh uthaymeen in regard

Fasting on Monday and Thursday is through sunnah The ahadith as under

It was narrated from Abu Qataadah al-Ansaari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays. He said: “On that day I was born, and on it the Revelation came to me.” Narrated by Muslim, 1162.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) said: “Deeds are shown (to Allaah) on Mondays and Thursdays, and I like my deeds to be shown when I am fasting.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 747; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1041

It is also encouraged through sunnah to fast three days of month, consecutively or separately

narrated Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “My close friend [the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) advised me to do three things which I will not give up until I die: fasting three days of each month, praying Duha, and sleeping after Witr. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1124; Muslim, 721.

narrated from Mu’aadhah al-‘Adawiyyah that she asked ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam), “Did the Messenger of Allaah (salAllahu alayhi wa sallam) fast three days of every month?” She said, “Yes.” She said to her: “Which days of the month did he fast?” She said, “He did not mind which days of the month he would fast.” Narrated by Muslim, 1160

narrated that Abu Dharr (may Allah be pleased with him ) said: The Messenger of Allaah (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) said to me: “If you fast any part of the month, then fast the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 761; al-Nasaa’i, 2424; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1038.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: When fasting three days of every month, is it essential that it be only on the ayyaam al-beed? Or is it permissible to fast any three days of the month?

He replied:
It is permissible to fast at the beginning of the month, in the middle or at the end, on consecutive days or separately. But it is better if it is done on the three ayyaam al-beed, which are the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth. ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Prophet (salAllaahu alayhi wasallam) used to fast on three days of every month, and he did not mind whether he fasted at the beginning or at the end of the month.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 20/question no. 376