feet towards Qibla

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:brothers and sisters
i got one simple question hope you answer inshallah
my question is that often ppl are told not to sleep or lie down with their feet towards qibla.is it something of value in islam,a cultural bidah or self imposed rule-like so many others
jazakallah kahira in advance....
wa alaikom asalam

believers_path

im not sure of it but i think its self imposed rule again m not sure even i have to knw this lets see what our brothers n sisters have to say on this
jazakallah
assalam.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
jazakallahkhaira sister and brother........i want to know because it's been a big problem for me here.......it feels lame but i don't have any authentic basis to argue it on.....

anyone else heard of it:)

may ALLAH have mercy on you all>ameen

arzafar

Is it allowed to sleep with legs directing towards Qibla.

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “There is no sin on a person if he sleep with his feet towards the Ka’bah, rather the fuqaha’ (may Allaah have mercy on them) said: if a sick person cannot stand or sit, he should pray lying on his side with his face towards the qiblah, and if he cannot then he should pray on his back with his feet towards the qiblah.”

Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/976

And Allaah knows best.

Some people say that you are not allowed to point your feet at the qibla while sitting down in the mosque and that it is bad adaab. Does this have any basis or is it a cultural thing or is an addition?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Humayd (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about pointing one’s feet in the direction of the qiblah. He replied:

There is nothing to say that this is not allowed, but some of the scholars regarded it as makrooh (disliked) to stretch the feet out towards the Ka’bah if one is close to it; they regarded this as makrooh but not emphatically so. But if there is a mosque somewhere else and there is a Muslim there who points his feet towards the qiblah, there is no harm in that and he is not doing anything forbidden in sha Allaah, as the scholars stated. And Allaah knows best.

See Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Humayd, p. 144

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about pointing the feet towards the qiblah whilst sleeping. He said:

There is no blame on a person if he sleeps and his feet are pointing towards the qiblah.

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/976.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu Alaykum,

As a child my mother normally arranged the beds so the head was facing North and the feet South. I asked my dad once why she did that and he said, "because they bury people East and West (I don't know if that is true.) One of the first cultural lessons we were taught in Vietnam was to be aware that in Vietnamese Culture it is an insult to allow the bottom of your feet to point at a person. (And, it was a common Ancient Hebrew Custom of Warriors to place their foot on the head of a fallen enemy as a sign of victory. Consequently, that makes very logical sense not to lie down with the feet toward Al Quiba.

I used my computer to determine the direction of Al Quiba. I went out side before dawn and noticed that almost exactly the direction that I face during Salah (or it is called Salat?) one can see the planet Venus also called the morning star. (I think.) Would that mean that I am facing in the correct direction.? I think I am a few degrees off the direction of the prayer room (I haven't yet learn it Arabic name.) at the Islamic Center.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Brother Azarfar,

I apologize, I did not see your answer before posting mine. Your's give authority as mine was just based on hearsay. Consequently, your's is the correct answer and I once more was wrong. Alhamdulillah! Subhana Allah!
Allah is so kind in the way he humbles my haughty heart. Thanks for the correct information.

Ikramuddin

Fear Only ALLAH
Qibla ----> Direction

People give importance to things that is not so important .As Qibla is a direction which helps to unit people to perform there Salaah and more over Companion of Prophet Bilal(may Allah be please with him) stood over the Kaba and gave Adaan.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

i think its all about loving and respecting Allah and His symbols.

eg. not keeping Quran on the floor, avoiding the shoes being kept upside-down ,etc.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Is it allowed to sleep with legs directing towards Qibla.

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “There is no sin on a person if he sleep with his feet towards the Ka’bah, rather the fuqaha’ (may Allaah have mercy on them) said: if a sick person cannot stand or sit, he should pray lying on his side with his face towards the qiblah, and if he cannot then he should pray on his back with his feet towards the qiblah.”

Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/976

And Allaah knows best.

Some people say that you are not allowed to point your feet at the qibla while sitting down in the mosque and that it is bad adaab. Does this have any basis or is it a cultural thing or is an addition?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Humayd (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about pointing one’s feet in the direction of the qiblah. He replied:

There is nothing to say that this is not allowed, but some of the scholars regarded it as makrooh (disliked) to stretch the feet out towards the Ka’bah if one is close to it; they regarded this as makrooh but not emphatically so. But if there is a mosque somewhere else and there is a Muslim there who points his feet towards the qiblah, there is no harm in that and he is not doing anything forbidden in sha Allaah, as the scholars stated. And Allaah knows best.

See Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Humayd, p. 144

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about pointing the feet towards the qiblah whilst sleeping. He said:

There is no blame on a person if he sleeps and his feet are pointing towards the qiblah.

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/976.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

jazakallah kahria for posting the fatwa brother........may ALLAH give you and us all more knowkedge.ameen.:tti_sister:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
As Salamu Alaykum,

As a child my mother normally arranged the beds so the head was facing North and the feet South. I asked my dad once why she did that and he said, "because they bury people East and West (I don't know if that is true.) One of the first cultural lessons we were taught in Vietnam was to be aware that in Vietnamese Culture it is an insult to allow the bottom of your feet to point at a person. (And, it was a common Ancient Hebrew Custom of Warriors to place their foot on the head of a fallen enemy as a sign of victory. Consequently, that makes very logical sense not to lie down with the feet toward Al Quiba.

I used my computer to determine the direction of Al Quiba. I went out side before dawn and noticed that almost exactly the direction that I face during Salah (or it is called Salat?) one can see the planet Venus also called the morning star. (I think.) Would that mean that I am facing in the correct direction.? I think I am a few degrees off the direction of the prayer room (I haven't yet learn it Arabic name.) at the Islamic Center.

brother frank you tried-to the best of your knowledge and understanding-jazakallah kahria for your effort:).........

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
People give importance to things that is not so important .As Qibla is a direction which helps to unit people to perform there Salaah and more over Companion of Prophet Bilal(may Allah be please with him) stood over the Kaba and gave Adaan.

exactly that is why i asked......i found out that covering one's head at the sound of adhaan and while reciting had no islamic value so a lot of things feel like they are made up:).....that's why i thought i'd ask.

jazakallah khaira for your reply.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
jazakallah kharia everyine who joined in may ALLAH have mercy in all of us.

barakallah fik ukhti. I was just wondering if i had to go through the trouble of changing the direction of my bed..........good thing i don't.

daywalker

:salam2:
Here is a detail answer why some scholars take this act as makrooh:

Feet towards qibla

Anyway make sure to sleep by following the sunnah which is sleeping while facing qibla, Baraa bin Aazib radiyallahu anhu reports that when Rasul alaihis salaam used to go to his bed he used to sleep on his right side and read... (Riyaadus Saaliheen pg. 356, Chapter no. 123 regarding the etiquette of sleeping and lying down). Refer to Tafseer Qurtubi under verse 29 in Surah Al-Mutaffifeen and also in Nasai, Kitaabut Tahaarah, Chapter on when a man touches his wife without passion.

When Nabi alaihis salaam used to perform salat at home, due to the smallness of his room, he used to touch the foot of Aisha radiyallu anha to signal her to lift her feet so he would be able to make sajdah.

From the second hadith we come to know that Nabi used to sleep parallel to the wall facing qiblah because when he used to go in sajdah he had to signal Aisha radiyallahu anha to lift her feet because she was sleeping along the wall facing qiblah.

From the first hadith we learn that Nabi alaihis salaam used to sleep on his right hand side.

After putting both ahadith together we realize that Nabi(sw) used to sleep on his right side facing the qiblah. And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
jazakallah khiara for your answer brother and for providing details of how to sleep(directions i mean).........

when i posted this thread i did it coz some elders here straight away say:
"it's gunnah,a sin".....i wanted to make that clear.

other then that i respect the views of my elders believing it a sign of love and respect not to place your feet in the direction of qibla:)

i got my head towards qibla....that's how my bed is direced now!!!

daywalker

when i posted this thread i did it coz some elders here straight away say:
"it's gunnah,a sin".....i wanted to make that clear.
other then that i respect the views of my elders believing it a sign of love and respect not to place your feet in the direction of qibla:)
:salam2:
I know akhi, am familiar with that attitude. being careful about manner or etiquettes is good, just know that at which level it is.
i got my head towards qibla....that's how my bed is direced now!!!
mashaAllah, may Allah give us also tawfiq.