Geeky Muslim?!

azmathmoosa

Assalamu Alaikum,

In my days of ignorance, I used to be a geek, drooling at Intel and every other chip maker out there and their products (It was materialism at extreme levels!). A year ago, Alhamdulillah, I changed and now there is no place for any of that in my life. I've also lost all motivation to be the engineer I had always wanted to become which is where my problem starts. From one extreme end, I just jumped to the other extreme. Does anyone know of any sahabi or some salaf or someone who i can take up as role model to motivate myself? So that I know that when i'm trying to get an LED to glow in my circuit, i'm not wasting my time but doing some form of ibadah which will have some benefit in the akhira?

strive-may-i

Walaikum Salaam,

Today's engineers produce a hand device, that not only produces and transmits sound waves, but in addition shows a map, the route to your destination too, and it can do much more. If you turn the pages of history, at one stage, the best engineers were map makers. If you then again turn back pages of history there were no formal engineers. Mankind had not explored the entire planet, out of reasoning and from whats known, the best minds drew the world as they knew it or imagined it.

Before proceeding further. Stop and read the above back and forth...

The accumulated knowledge is the difference between then and now. The duniya matters. If you can grasp the accumulated knowledge, with your talent, hardwork and focus on benefiting others with this knowledge, it gets you rewards. Here in this phase I/we get the only opportunity to maximize rewards and seal the fate of hereafter, the destination. You maximize your rewards by maximizing the benefit from you (to others and to yourself in turn). And benefits is MAXED at your full potential and complete focus. So yes, it makes sense to not waste that circuit.

Now think, where do you want to be (both in Here and Hereafter)?

Your Circuit needs a Life Emancipating Decision {LED } - 'Balance the deen and the duniya.'

Assalamu Alaikum,

In my days of ignorance, I used to be a geek, drooling at Intel and every other chip maker out there and their products (It was materialism at extreme levels!). A year ago, Alhamdulillah, I changed and now there is no place for any of that in my life. I've also lost all motivation to be the engineer I had always wanted to become which is where my problem starts. From one extreme end, I just jumped to the other extreme. Does anyone know of any sahabi or some salaf or someone who i can take up as role model to motivate myself? So that I know that when i'm trying to get an LED to glow in my circuit, i'm not wasting my time but doing some form of ibadah which will have some benefit in the akhira?

tic_tac_toe

Assalamu Alaikum,

:salam2:

1400 years of Islamic history is filled with Muslims who excelled in sciences and technology. I have a meeting to run to but I will quote you some examples from the lives of companions of Prophet Muhammad :saw: from the top of my head because I have to run of to a meeting:

Firstly the war tactic of Salman Farsi (RA) of digging a trench was an improvement because the Arabs weren't used to it.

Secondly, Zayd Ibn Thabit (RA) was commanded by Prophet Muhammad :saw: to learn Hebrew so that was an advancement in linguistics.

Thirdly, some companions of Prophet Muhammad :saw: were sent to learn the art of Sword making at Damascus which was the center of Steel making and metallurgy.

Fourthly, some companions of Prophet Muhammad :saw: learned knowledge of medicine from certain Jews.

The scientific innovations of later generations of Muslims is in the thousands so which branch of Engineering are you interested in?

:wasalam:

azmathmoosa

JazakAllah. You are right about gaining knowledge to benefit others but these days its all about making money. I've finished my graduate degree in Electronics and Comm. Engg. and my dad wants me to finish my masters as well. But i've developed a perspective wherein I see all forms of college education not as a means to gain knowledge but as a means to get some title and improve salary prospects. Which I think comes under the category of 'running after the dunya'. Let me explain my current life situation.

I'm in India. I've finished B.E.. I have to do M.E. But if I want to get into a good college, I need to top a national level test (A Hundred thousand people take it every year, the country is populated and the youth see this as the only way out to get a stable career) which is quite hard and requires a lot of effort and dedication. I don't have a problem but if you start working too hard, you loose connection with your social life. Toppers of that test usually stay away from civilization for atleast a year. My problem is that I think to dedicate yourself too much for something of that sort is like 'running after the dunya'. I don't know I'm probably wrong.

The truth is I'm lazy. And when I try to study, I tell myself that there is no point. Not that Islam wants me to be a loser in my career, but that Islam doesn't want me to be a winner either.(I'm not complaining but thats the truth right?). In my days of ignorance, I didn't know anything about decree and would constantly strive to get good grades in school out of fear (of becoming a loser in life). But now, the knowledge that everything is already decreed + life is just a test + the things of the dunya are nothing but enjoyment of deception + my inclination towards laziness have all got me into this.

I don't allow laziness to override my prayer because I know there will be eternal consequences, but to not top that test is not going to affect me eternally, so I excuse myself. I know i have it all wrong. So thats why I need your help. If you could point to some sahabis who used their intelligence to do something technical and that counted as an ibadah, then that would be of great help.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
JazakAllah. You are right about gaining knowledge to benefit others but these days its all about making money. I've finished my graduate degree in Electronics and Comm. Engg. and my dad wants me to finish my masters as well. But i've developed a perspective wherein I see all forms of college education not as a means to gain knowledge but as a means to get some title and improve salary prospects. Which I think comes under the category of 'running after the dunya'. Let me explain my current life situation.

I'm in India. I've finished B.E.. I have to do M.E. But if I want to get into a good college, I need to top a national level test (A Hundred thousand people take it every year, the country is populated and the youth see this as the only way out to get a stable career) which is quite hard and requires a lot of effort and dedication. I don't have a problem but if you start working too hard, you loose connection with your social life. Toppers of that test usually stay away from civilization for atleast a year. My problem is that I think to dedicate yourself too much for something of that sort is like 'running after the dunya'. I don't know I'm probably wrong.

The truth is I'm lazy. And when I try to study, I tell myself that there is no point. Not that Islam wants me to be a loser in my career, but that Islam doesn't want me to be a winner either.(I'm not complaining but thats the truth right?). In my days of ignorance, I didn't know anything about decree and would constantly strive to get good grades in school out of fear (of becoming a loser in life). But now, the knowledge that everything is already decreed + life is just a test + the things of the dunya are nothing but enjoyment of deception + my inclination towards laziness have all got me into this.

I don't allow laziness to override my prayer because I know there will be eternal consequences, but to not top that test is not going to affect me eternally, so I excuse myself. I know i have it all wrong. So thats why I need your help. If you could point to some sahabis who used their intelligence to do something technical and that counted as an ibadah, then that would be of great help.

"Islam doesn't want you to be a winner either"?! That's not true at all brother. Islam, in fact, does want you to be a winner in every aspect of life. This is the unique thing about our religion. The Prophet peace be upon him taught people to be independent so they don't depend on no one else. He taught people to work hard and worship even harder. This is what Islam is all about. To give it your hundred percent effort, but at the end, if and only if, things somehow don't go how you wanted/expected them to go, to NOT be disappointed and give up on life and become miserable. This is the unique thing about the Muslims. We work hard but we know at the end of the day, nothing is in our control. So we easily accept calamaties that happen without becoming too depressed or angry or doing crazy things such as suicide and all that. Believing in Qadar doesn't mean you have to sit at home and become lazy. You don't know what Allah has decreed for you, for that reason you need to give it your best effort. If things work out, alhamdulilah and if things don't, still alhamdulilah, because you know it is part of Allah's decree for you.

I really hope you know what I'm trying to say. Maybe this hadith will sum up what I'm trying to tell you:

On the authority of Abu Yahya Suhaib bin Sinan (May Allah be pleased with him) it is related that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said,

“How amazing is the affair of the believer. There is good for him in everything and that is for no one but the believer. If good times come his way, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him, and if hardship comes his way, he endures it patiently and that is better for him.”

[Muslim]

And another thing, we need Muslims in different fields of studies. Everything depends on your intention brother. Study what you love and then find out how that will be of help to Muslims (I'm sure there is at least several different ways you can be of help to the Muslims around the world). And also, there is nothing wrong if you live well in this world. The main thing is to not think only of this world. You should also work as hard or even harder to get the best in akhira as in this dunya. Don't let shaytan get to your head. Do your best in your studies, make your parents happy and proud all the while you're being the best Muslim you can be. Study Islam also. Worship Allah by praying, giving charity, helping out the needy and fasting. All of this will give you a balanced life that is fullfilling and meaningful not only to you but to your family and those around you.

May Allah help you to overcome whatever difficulties and problems you're having. We really do need more smart and intelligent Muslims who not only know matters of the deen but also matters of academics.

MuslimShadow

Walaikum assalam.

Brother,You can be a winner.Think of it this way.

Work hard + get a job + earn money.Now think.What can you do with the money.

Money itself is not bad.Give charity.Get immense reward.It wipes out our sins.

azmathmoosa

One of the reasons why i have developed this perspective is my exposure to the philosophy of tablighi jamaat. They never go around preaching people to be lazy - they don't do that. But indirectly they do tell you that working hard for the dunya isn't a smart thing to do in life. As I said, my primary problem is being lazy. Is it a sin to be lazy? Maybe I can start with that...?

[I used to be an atheist (though born as a muslim... ). Around a year ago, I got all depressed for nothing. I realized that it was because of my lack of purpose in life. I thought about it all... you know ... why we live , whats the point of everything etc... and Allah by His Mercy, showed me the way. I was so depressed back then and I probably thought too much i guess that i instantly got sick and tired of everything in life - everything was a deception. World is so boring. all those movies and music that i was addicted to, those video games... I threw them all out. they were just means by which people can spend time. and to this day i can't force myself to watch/listen to/play one coz i know its foolish. a stupid cube pops in space and suddenly machines come out of it to take over the world... how on earth can u delude yourself to watch that nonsense... its the same thing again and again, save the world or get that girl you love etc. etc. Although its a great perspective to shun of all evil out of my life, i also have lost all reasons to be happy. I look at sports and when my country wins and my little brother comes running happily, i tell myself "what's the reason to be happy, none of those players know you ... besides india is just a piece of land surrounded by imaginary boundaries that practically only do the job of segregating administration... nationalism and patriotism is falsehood and deceiving yourself to be happy over falsehood is utterly irrational" after which i get depressed again. i am always depressed and sad or mocking those who are happy (for being deluded). Its not healthy at all. and unsurprisingly, it has affected my career sharply. help me... i'm going crazy.... I doze off often and have become lazy]

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
One of the reasons why i have developed this perspective is my exposure to the philosophy of tablighi jamaat. They never go around preaching people to be lazy - they don't do that. But indirectly they do tell you that working hard for the dunya isn't a smart thing to do in life. As I said, my primary problem is being lazy. Is it a sin to be lazy? Maybe I can start with that...?

When you say lazy, what exactly do you mean? Like not doing things that are waiting for you to do, wasting your time on other things, or just sleeping and eating and doing nothing else?

Islam encourages everything that is good and laziness is definitely not good so I think you have your answer right there.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Wa`alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullaah,

I am sorry to hear that. I have been there, I have felt lost, lazy, feeling-less and empty myself. The best advice I can give is for you to strengthen your faith and seek help from Allaah constantly. Make dua` to Him at your time of need AND ease. So that inshaa Allaah He will make ways for you to become strong and motivated in life again, inshaa Allaah.

You are still not too late to make your choice. If you feel that after 4 yrs of studying engineering for your bachelor and you feel that there isn't much passion left for Masters, then I suggest you not to pursue it. Unless if you feel you can do it even without your heart in those engineering subjects anymore, then please do so.

If you're not going to pursue in your studies, then search for what your heart needs. Are you ready to study and dedicate yourself fully to study the deen? Or do you wish to work first? I do agree that people nowadays compete to get the title to be the best and making the dunya as their main destination. Yes it is frustrating but if we feel we don't want to follow the perception that people have, then do what you feel would be best for your dunya and akheerah. One doesn't necessarily need a list of proper education to excel in life. Even a technician who never went to college can succeed with hard work.

You are lost and feel empty because you are not having the enough aims in life. People get bore when there is not enough motivation or something that can drive them to push themselves to the best for them to achieve something they want very much.

Seek for yours. What exactly do you want to achieve in the end? [Don't need to answer to anyone but to your own self].

Hope it has been of some help, bi itnillaah.

Wa`alaykummussalaam.

khanivore

Sorry for being blunt brother, but looks like Shaitaan has you like a football at his feet, kicking you around where he pleases.

Consider the following ahadith: "The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allaah than the weak believer, while there is good in both."
What do you think strength means? Is it only big biceps and forearms, or something more? Alhamdulillah I have both a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Engineering and have realized how much easier it is for me, by the Fadl of Allah subhaanahu wa ta'aala, to help myself and others. I can register for an Arabic course that costs $1000 without batting an eyelid Alhamdulillah, I can sponsor students doing their hifz in madarassas etc., all through the bounty of Allah which he has facilitated through the education and degrees that He enabled me to complete. I distinctly recall a piece of advice given to us students way back when we were doing our Bachelor's - a well wisher and Muslim philanthropist told us that you will be able to help others only if you have something in your pocket to give. If your own stomach is empty, do you think you will be able to worry about other's stomachs? A person leading a parasitic existence off of his parents might not realize it, but once he has to deal with expenses of his own, a nagging wife who has financial needs of her own, children who need to be fed, school fees to be paid, toys to be bought etc., will quickly forget his idealistic dreams and bite his hands in regret.

Has not the Prophet (saws) said: "Allah has decreed/commanded excellence in everything". Where is your motivation to excel when you study? A person is known by his defining traits - what is your USP? What is the field that you will make a mark in? I have had the honor of meeting senior executives in Silicon Valley who are also huffaz, giving Friday khutbahs and other lectures teaching Muslims their Deen. They are able to portray a beautiful, positive impression of Islam at their workplace through their hard work, skill and manners, without compromising their religious obligations.

As for the concern that you will be cut off from civilization to excel in competitive examinations, let me tell you that it should be the least of your concerns at this stage in your life - when you are laying the foundation for your future. A butterfly has to do it's time in a cocoon before it can appear fully formed and beautify the world - stop kidding yourself that you can skip the most essential formative stage and magically become useful to yourself, your family or to society.

Apologies if this comes across as a little harsh, but i'm tired of seeing Muslims who have been blessed with a family that cares about education, being provided with all the means and encouragement to succeed, but they simply throw it all away due to their ignorance and faulty understanding of Islam and what is expects of its adherents. Islams wants us to be winners, not whiners. First put yourself in a position where you are qualified and in a strong position academically, career-wise and financially; and then see how many avenues open up for you to serve Islam.

Be a man, stop wasting your life and start excelling!

azmathmoosa

Sorry for being blunt brother, but looks like Shaitaan has you like a football at his feet, kicking you around where he pleases.

Apologies if this comes across as a little harsh, but i'm tired of seeing Muslims who have been blessed with a family that cares about education, being provided with all the means and encouragement to succeed, but they simply throw it all away due to their ignorance and faulty understanding of Islam and what is expects of its adherents. Islams wants us to be winners, not whiners. First put yourself in a position where you are qualified and in a strong position academically, career-wise and financially; and then see how many avenues open up for you to serve Islam.

Be a man, stop wasting your life and start excelling!

JazakAllah brother, no need for apologies, you are 100% right. I just realized that I've been blessed with so much... how stupid could I be... you are right. Make Dua for me.

I do love computers and technology, but somehow I just mixed it up with materialism and dunya. I have to admit, that I, a lot of others like me, think that the only education worthy of carrying out is that of Arabic, Tafseer, Fiqh etc. etc.. Its just that I don't see any role models... a pious techie.

InshAllah I will try to change my attitude.

Ummah123

There are many ways you can contribute to Islam/muslims as an engineer. Just like in my days of ignorance, i was obsessed with drawing buildings/architecture, now it's the same rather i could do it to design Masjids.

SonOfAdam

Staff member
Selam Aleykum Brother. I too am a computer Hobbyist and still drool over hardware from Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, etc. I love building computers and learning about new technology. Of course the Deen is far more important, but that doesn't mean I gave up on this hobby of mine. I am an engineer now elhamdulillah and engineering school was the hardest thing I ever did (partly because I worked so hard at it to finish high in my class). Stick at it because this is a great career path and will pay much better than most jobs. With this money you can help the ummah more (i.e. give more charity, build mosques, etc.) and also most importantly support a family (have a wife and many kids insallah). If you go to work every day with this intention (you should make the intention every day) that you are working to support your Muslim family (i.e. to raise kids up right with proper Islamic education, buy things for your wife to make her happy and support them in general), this in itself is a great ibadaa and you will get ajr for it. So the same thing can be done now, work hard in engineering school or job in the hope of one day being able to support to build a Muslim Family for the Sake of Allah... instant ajr in all your homework, projects, diploma insallah. Also, make this intention often and every day if you can remember. You just can't say it once and it counts for all future work.

Work hard and the best you can in everything you try then put your trust in Allah. This is what Allah and the Prophet SAW has taught us.

All great scholars are scholars of the Deen (obviously) and also had other professions jobs on the side. As an engineer, I find that many times when I talk with people about Islam they respect me more as they know my career requires strict discipline and a lot of brain power. This is especially true when I talk to non-religious Muslims... they call me dumb or brainwashed or something, so then I use math and simple logic to prove my points to show them no I am not dumb.

My ultimate goal in life though is to become more scholarly in Islam and study the Din full time. But that will not pay my bills or support my family... not everyone is cut up to be a scholar, the ummah needs engineers, doctors, mechanics, teachers, etc. It is every Muslims duty to know the basics and practice Islam, most people CANNOT be a scholar, even if they tried. I think you should focus on your education and career and at the same time increase your knowledge of the deen.