Geez, Jeez, Gee, Gosh, Golly

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I would like to share this to my brothers and sisters as this might be helpful Insha Allaah. Some of you might already be aware of this Alhamdulillaah.

I always use the expressions Gee, Geez, Jeez and other alterations of the same meaning until one day my friend heard me using these interjections. Alhamdulillaah she told me right away that these are alterations of the name Jesus :astag:

geez
Alternative spellings
jeez

[edit] Etymology
A corruption of the word Jesus.

[edit] Interjection
geez!

(euphemism) An exclamation denoting surprise or frustration.
Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/geez"

There are other idle expressions that we might use unconciously and we should get rid of those and replace it with remembrance of Allaah.

He (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:

((Let not your tongue cease from the remembrance of Allaah)), [at-Tirmidhee 5/458 and Ibn Maajah 2/1246, see: Saheeh at-Tirmidhee 3/139 and Saheeh Ibn Maajah 2/317]

Allaah says,“And the men and women who remember Allaah much (with their hearts and tongues), Allaah has prepared for them forgiveness and a great reward (i.e. Paradise).” (Al-Ahzaab: 35).

We can replace those idle expressions with
Subhaan Allaah (Glory be to Allaah), Alhamdu Lillah (Praise be to Allaah), Laa Ilaaha Illa Allaah (there is no deity worthy of worship except Allaah), Allahu Akbar (Allaah is the Greatest), Laa Hawla wa laa Quwwata Illaa Billahil Aliyyil Adheem (there is no power and no strength except with Allaah, the Most High, the Most Great), and the like.

The Messenger of Allaah said, “The most beloved words to Allaah are four: ‘Subhaan Allaah, Al-Hamdu Lillah, Laa Illaaha Illa Allaah and Allahu Akbar.’ It does not matter with which one you start, nor in what order you say them.” (Muslim). He also said, “They (those four statements) are the best word after the Qur’an and they are from the Qur’an.” (Ahmad).

Aboo Moosa Al-Ash’aree narrated that the Messenger of Allaah said, “Say Laa Hawla Wa Laa Quwwata illa Billaah, for it is one of the treasures of Paradise.” (Bukhaarie & Muslim).

May Allaah swt make us steadfast to our deen ameen.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Jazaakillaahu khayran sister.

Other statements such as "for goodness sake" which we use in the same sense, also have bad meanings. I'll leave you to think about this one and see why lol.

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
"Dude"! we say that a lot, look it up and "bastard", we dont say that fearing its a swear word but actually its the reality of most kids at the moment.

warda A

Sister
Jazaakillaahu khayran sister.

Other statements such as "for goodness sake" which we use in the same sense, also have bad meanings. I'll leave you to think about this one and see why lol.

:salam2:

that would mean for Gods sake

i usually say something like; my goodness, i think it is wrong, same as gosh,or my gosh,
is just saying the word goodness also wrong?
:wasalam:

Faiza619

Strangers on earth

I also used to say those words
Thanks for the post
it was very beneficial

Jazaak Allahu Kheiran

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:ma:! I hear this a lot, very beneficial and a must know for everyone inshallah. Jazakallahu Khairan!:hearts:

Sakeena

SubhanAllah... I ues to say "Geez" lol hehehe....I should have known this would eventually pop up! So... I'm not the only one who use to say it? lol :SMILY231:

I get soo annoyed when my mom says, "Jesus Crist!" or "Thank you, Jesus!"

SUBHANALLAH WA TA'ALLAAAAAHHH!!! There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of ALLAH (SWT) ALONE!

wasalam,

Sakeena :hearts:

SweetAmirah

Being a christian before Islam, I kind of had that Idea, and I had noticed me using it a lot, I am trying not to!!!

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

that would mean for Gods sake

i usually say something like; my goodness, i think it is wrong, same as gosh,or my gosh,
is just saying the word goodness also wrong?
:wasalam:

For God's sake is seperate and independant. I was talking to an English teacher about this, it means 'for the sake of good...' There were other similar common phrases but they haven't come to mind yet.

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
hello

HELLO!
Who knows what the literal meaning of hello is? I was taught that the original word of hello ws hell-on-you!

I opened with hello, I'll close with salam alaikum.
Who knows what the literal meaning of salam alaikum is?