GETTING POINTS

Karima

Asalmualikum,

In various readings about Islam, I have come across getting 'points' for this and that. I realize that when I help someone, or give to charity, this is for points. I personally do not do this for any points, but from my heart to help others.

There are rewards in Paradise for things that we do on earth...I can understand this.

I am having a question of 'intention' for anyone getting me to revert. If this is done for points, don't you think this would hurt my feelings more than anything? It would.

No one gets a 'sinner' to become a christian to score for points, anywhere!

Forgive me for being in error if I am wrong.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2: First time i heard about points.. :) I am not sure what you mean sister. Is it that doing actions for reward from god feels selfish? I looked on some Islamic sites and didnt find anything about this, so i will do my best to help........

We will do things out of love of God and the Prophet :saw:. .and also to help fellow people which is intertwined with our own personal feelings for humanity and our ISlamic beliefs.. Like, we are given examples of the Prophet's kindness to people, and there are hadith of being kind to animals. We do this and we feel good.

Personally when i give charity, it is because i want to genuinely help a needy person. This is what Islam teaches us. And charity is compulsory for all Muslims who can afford to give it.

We also get a reward from Allah (swt) for the good deeds we do, whether we are aware what we did was good or not, which will help us on the day of judgement.. this is from the mercy of God.. on our way to paradise.

Course, many times we do good deeds such as smile and meet a Muslim, we get rewarded by God, but are unaware that what we did was a good deed. So, therefore this means we dont always have it in our mind. :)

Our love that Allah has given us , makes us want to do those good deeds. The plus side is, that Allah rewards us.

72. "But if you turn away [from accepting my doctrine of Islâmic Monotheism, i.e. to worship none but Allâh], then no reward have I asked of you, my reward is only from Allâh, and I have been commanded to be one of the Muslims (those who submit to Allâh's Will)." [Yunus 10:72].

29. "And O my people! I ask of you no wealth for it, my reward is from none but Allâh. I am not going to drive away those who have believed. Surely, they are going to meet their Lord, but I see that you are a people that are ignorant. [Hud 11:29].

47. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Whatever wage I might have asked of you is yours. My wage is from Allâh only. and He is Witness over all things." [Saba 34:47]

One must realise that to have someone become a Muslim, is a matter of heaven and hell for the other person. So, its a gift that the other person is helping give to the other. I dont think a person is selfish in wanting to do good actions just to put themselves in heaven. There is strong desire to help others..We are commanded to show kindness to all, including animals...

And all guidance is from Allah

Wasalam.

Surah Al Insan 76:
8. And they give food, inspite of their love for it (or for the love of Him), to Miskin[] (poor), the orphan, and the captive,

9. (Saying): "We feed you seeking Allâh's Countenance only. We wish for no reward, nor thanks from you.

10. "Verily, We fear from our Lord a Day, hard and distressful, that will make the faces look horrible (from extreme dislikeness to it)."

11. So Allâh saved them from the evil of that Day, and gave them Nadratan (a light of beauty) and joy.

12. And their recompense shall be Paradise, and silken garments, because they were patient.

13. Reclining therein on raised thrones, they will see there neither the excessive heat of the sun, nor the excessive bitter cold, (as in Paradise there is no sun and no moon).

14. And the shade thereof is close upon them, and the bunches of fruit thereof will hang low within their reach.

15. And amongst them will be passed round vessels of silver and cups of crystal,

16. Crystal-clear, made of silver. They will determine the measure thereof according to their wishes.

17. And they will be given to drink there a cup (of wine) mixed with Zanjabîl (ginger, etc.),

18. A spring there, called Salsabîl.

19. And round about them will (serve) boys of everlasting youth. If you see them, you would think them scattered pearls.

20. And when you look there (in Paradise), you will see a delight (that cannot be imagined), and a great dominion.

21. Their garments will be of fine green silk, and gold embroidery. They will be adorned with bracelets of silver, and their Lord will give them a pure drink.
22. (And it will be said to them): "Verily, this is a reward for you, and your endeavour has been accepted."

aurelia

Hi Kristina,

I find this an interesting topic. May I share my personal opinion on this?

Undoubtedly, there are points for every good deed which is done sincerely, without any hidden agenda. Meaning to say, when your right hand does a charity, it should not be known by the left hand. Here's an example - You see a large company donating XX amount to so-and-so, and you see them holding a big replica check with big smiles, published on newspapers. While I won't speculate what their true intention is (by publishing their good deed), I would say that this type of self-promoting should not be done because it will lead to haughtiness and hence, depletes or worse, eliminates any sense of sincerity that is supposed to be the basic of the deed being done, in the first place.

I guess sincerity is when something is done without us expecting anything in return. That goes the same for doing deeds because we expect to be put into Paradise when we pass away. One should do good deeds because of God, not because we want any rewards for it. Else, we will look like a 4 year old who behaves because our parents promised us a lollipop if we start being kind to everyone.

Not an encouraging thought, don't you think so? ;)

Karima

Well, my point in the beginning was the 'motive' for getting someone to revert. Is it for their own reward from Allah that they do this? I have heard in some muslim circles discussion about this....and more points for getting someone to revert.

This is why I brought it up in the forum....

aurelia

Kristina, it doesn't matter where or what you read, a Muslim should not do any good deeds because one expects to get a reward, or because one has a different intention than he claims to have. If we do A, because we expect to get B, then the sincerity isn't there anymore. As a Muslim, when the judgement day has come, we will be resurrected with the last intention we had, when we died. I remember, there is a verse from the Koran that tells us of an interview, that God has with a man who dies in a war.

The man asks God, why is he being sent to hell, when in fact he has died while fighting for his country. God says, 'True, you died in the war. But you didn't join the war because you really wanted to protect your country, you joined the war so that if you die a syaheed, people will praise you as someone brave. You are a hypocrite.'

One needs to be very careful with one's intention, even if what one seeks to do, is a good deed. In her poetry to God, Rabiatul Adawiyah (a sufist) once wrote: 'Dear God, if I were to do a good deed because of paradise, then give the paradise to my enemies. And if I do a good deed because I am afraid of going to hell, then put me in hell. But if I do a good deed, because of YOU, and only YOU, then I ask nothing, except your blessings.'

In Ihya' Ulumiddin, a book written by Imam Ghazali, there is a Hadeeth Qudsi, whereby God stated - 'If I never created Heaven or Hell, would you not love me?'

Simply put, if we spread Islam and we want people to convert to Islam, then we should do it because of love, because we want other people to be safe in the hereafter, as we will be (Insya Allah). I'm not saying doing it to collect points is wrong, but honestly, if we preach about Islam and we want people to convert, because we're trying to collect points, would that sound sincere to you?

Islam is only one, but towards the end of the world, it will be divided into 73 groups, and only 1 group wil reach Jannah (Paradise) - Ahlul Sunnah wa al Jamaah
. This is by no means a dictation to you in anyway, I'm merely sharing with you what little knowledge I have. As a sister in Islam, I wish you all the best, and may God bless you always, through your journey in life.

'Dear Lord, show me the path, guide me in YOUR truth...' - Kahlil Gibran

;)

Karima

All of the posts have been very enlightening. Thank Allah for your words of truth in this matter.