Photo Gift of Grandparents

A.Abubaker

a photo essay by Steve McCurry

This reminded me of my own Grandfather who passed away when I was quite little.

http://stevemccurry.wordpress.com/2013/03/

afghn-13678nf.jpg

srilanka-100871.jpg

afghn-10268.jpg

lebanon-10026.jpg

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
The talent who brought us the Afghan Girl - Sharbat Gula - an image that is even seen by rural Australian children, which is surprising to see, alongside their ignorance of, not only where the picture is from, and that would make sense, but Afghanistan as a whole, being a nation, an existent place, with a history, with a people, with ways.

I am a witness of this very gift everyday, when my nieces and nephews are brought to be in the company of my parents. I always tell my parents, had my grandparents been around to see me, and I to see them, it truly would have been a most valued relationship, one I long for despite being foreign to those feelings.

Ah, and I do love photo essays. I plan on embarking on one myself, but then I feel there is a limit to photography when one doesn't travel. At least to its depth, and variety.

A.Abubaker

The photographer is truly a master of light, nuff said.

Photography is only limited by the very subject one wishes to portray. I don't think you need to travel thousands of miles just to find an engaging story, the depth of your photography will be determined by the story and subject matter being portrayed and not the the location the story is being conveyed from. That being said, I do agree that travel can add variety to ones photography.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
My comment was in my context, which is many things besides location. But well and truly said on your part.

So he probably works on more than one essay at a time?

A.Abubaker

my reply wasn't necessarily directed at you:). I was just speaking in general.

Well, From what i can tell, most of the photos in some of his recent essays are quite old, probably from when he was working with NatGeo as a staff photographer. Not sure though.

But as a freelance photographer i am not sure if he would have the time to cover more than one story simultaneously, but then again for someone of his experience it could be possible.