Glimpses from the life of Shaykh Muqbil

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
His Lineage:
He was ash-Shaykh, al-‘Allaamah, al-Muhaddith / Muqbil bin Haadee bin Qaayidah al-Hamdaanee al-Waadi’ee al-Khulaanee from the tribe of Aali Raashid.

The Beginning of His Seeking Knowledge: The Shaykh (may Allah Most High have mercy upon him) began to seek knowledge in al-Maktab (a school located in Sa’dah, Yemen) and studied for some time when his connection to seeking knowledge was cut short and this was only because he could not find anyone specific to keep him connected to seeking knowledge.

He (may Allah Most High have mercy upon him) said, “I studied in al-Maktab but then after that I wasted some portion of my life, as Allah had decreed, in other worldly things than seeking knowledge because there was no one there to encourage me or assist me in seeking knowledge."

His Journey to the Land of the Two Sanctuaries and Najd: Then the Shaykh traveled to the land of the two sanctuaries (Makkah & Madeenah) and to Najd. He stayed in Najd for a month and a half but the climate changed and it affected him there in ar-Riyaadh so he decided to travel to Makkah. He sought the advice of some of the preachers about which beneficial books to purchase in which they told him to get Saheeh-ul-Bukhaaree, Buloogh-ul-Maraam, Riyaadh-us-Saaliheen, and Fath-ul-Majeed. At that time he used to work as a guard over a building atop al-Hajoon which is a mountain in the highest part of Makkah. He occupied himself in reading these books when it struck him that, that which was practiced in his country (Yemen) opposed what was within these books especially (what he read in) Fath-ul-Majeed.

His Return to His Country: Then the Shaykh returned to his country and began to forbid the evil that he found amongst his people such as slaughtering to other than Allah, building domes over the graves, and calling upon the dead while seeking their assistance. Word of this reached the Shee’ah there and when their numbers began to dwindle one of them said, “Whoever changes his religion then kill him!” Another one sent a message to his relatives saying, “If you do not stop him (from preaching) we will throw him in prison”. So after the harassment, intimidation, and vicious threats that the Shee’ah had put him through they felt that Aboo ‘Abdir-Rahmaan had changed his religion and that if he did not recant from the creed of Tawheed (Islamic monotheism) then he was to be killed. To the Shee’ah and those like them, whoever called to Tawheed was one who had changed his religion and must repent; if he did not repent then he was to be killed. Thus after all of this they agreed upon a resolution that Aboo ‘Abdir-Rahmaan could not get away from. They decided to place him in the curriculum of Jaami’ –ul-Haadee to study there until they could remove the doubts that had clung to his mind, in their estimation, and this was a trial for Aboo ‘Abdir-Rahmaan, may Allah have mercy upon him, after having learned the correct creed and authentic methodology. He was thrown into the lion’s den of Shi’aism yet Aboo ‘Abdir-Rahmaan by the grace of Allah the Mighty and Majestic, then on account of his sound understanding of the Islamic creed, came to see that the books that they studied were books based upon the way of the Shee’ah and the Mu’tazilah. He turned instead towards learning the science of an-Nahw despite the fact that the People of Innovations and those like them were introducing a corrupt version of the Islamic creed into the Arabic language. However Allah the Glorified and Most High protected Aboo ‘Abdir-Rahmaan from their evil plot so he studied the text Qatr-un-Nadaa by Ibn Hishaam continuously until he fully understood it and grasped its contents due to his studies and revision of the text.

Next: The Shaykh returns to the land of the two sanctuaries (Makkah & Madeenah)

Source: Nubdhah Yaseerah min Hayaati Ahad A’alaam-il-Jazeerah
Translated by: Aboo ‘Imraan al-Mekseekee – may Allah guide him

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
His return to the land of the two sanctuaries (Makkah & Madeenah) Then Aboo ‘Abdir-Rahmaan, may Allah have mercy upon him, returned to the land of the two sanctuaries but before that he stayed in Najraan and resided there for two years studying under Majd-ud-Deen al-Muayyid then he left to Makkah where he worked in the day and studied at night.

His admission into the Institute of the Haram: Then the Institute of the Haram opened up and the Shakyh, may Allah have mercy upon him went there with a group of the students of knowledge to take the entrance exams in which he passed, by the grace of Allah Most High.

His transfer to the City of the Prophet (peace & blessings be upon him): When the Shaykh, may Allah have mercy upon him, completed his middle and secondary studies he moved to the City of the Prophet (peace & blessings be upon him) and enrolled into the Islamic University and chose the college of ad-Da’wah wa Usool-ud-Deen (Invitation to Islaam and the Fundamentals of the Religion). When summer vacation came he feared wasting time so he enrolled into the college of ash-Shari’ah (Islamic law) and completed both studies and earned two degrees. He did not consider the obtaining of degrees to be a means of gaining knowledge as he used to repeat (throughout his life) many times within his daily lessons.

His achievement in obtaining a Masters: Then at that time the Islamic University had opened up their Masters program so he went to the interview to test for it and he passed, by the grace of Allah. The study that had been prepared for him to obtain his Masters was the verification of the book al-Ilzamaatu wa-Tatabba’u by al-Imaam ad-Daaraqutnee, may Allah have mercy upon him. And this discussion was recorded on several tapes then transcribed and printed within his book launched against the ignorant and philosophers.

Next: The Shaykh is imprisoned.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
His Imprisonment:

Aboo ‘Abdir-Rahmaan was imprisoned twice, the first time was for a month and a half and then the second was for three months in which he was deported shortly after that. He, may Allah have mercy upon him, said in his biography, “Some of the brothers who were new to seeking knowledge fell into some errors since most of the time the beginner has an added amount of zeal (when seeking knowledge).

At the time I was preparing the treatise for my Masters when one night I was arrested. They arrested close to one hundred and fifty people and whoever fled, fled and the day was locked down for every act of evil and assistance. We remained in prison close to a month or a month and a half and after that with the praise of Allah we were let out and cleared from any wrongdoing.

Then after this some treatises of Juhaymaan came out and a group of us were arrested. At the interrogation they said to me, “You were the one who wrote (these treatises), Juhaymaan cannot write (like this).” But I denied this and Allah knows that I did not write them nor did I participate in that. And after being imprisoned for three months I was ordered to be deported.”

Next: The Shaykh returns to Yemen.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
His Arrival in Yemen:

Whenever this noble scholar and noble Mujaahid arrived in his land he began to teach the Noble Quraan to the children from his village. The world fell upon him as if he went out to destroy the country and why not when the Shee’ah were all around him from every side holding that he had changed his religion and that if he didn’t recant from his beliefs that he was to be killed! And at that time he was the only one, alone with no one that he knew not a tribal leader of his tribe or anyone of authority. The only words he would repeat were, “Hasbiyya Allahu wa Ni’mal-Wakeel (Allah is sufficient for me and the best one to entrust)”.

And after some time some of the people of good sent his library from Madeenah to him but it was not turned over to him until a fine was paid and after extreme difficulty. So when the books arrived the Shee’ah went to those in authority and said, “They are books of the Wahhaabiyyah” until news reached the president and he turned the matter over to a person in charge who then gave the books to the Shaykh.

And the Ikhwaan-ul-Muslimeen at that time had offered him a position to teach in the University of Sanaa’ but he refused because he knew that they would waste his time just as they had wasted many of the graduates of the University. He, may Allah have mercy upon him, used to say in some of his lessons, “The first time I arrived in Yemen they met me and asked, ‘Do you want to do Islamic research or teach in the university?” But I told them no and I went to my tribe and my village and invited the people as best as I could.

Next: The Light of Hope.

Source --> http://thestraightforwardword.blogspot.com/