Golden words of advice for Ramadaan

Shishani

Staff member
GOLDEN WORDS OF ADVICE FOR RAMADAAN

Shaykh 'Abdul-'Azeez ibn Baaz(may Allaah have mercy on him),
former mufti of Saudi Arabia, head of the Committee of senior scholars
& the Permanent Committee for islamic research and fatwa's

Question: What words of guidance do you have for the Muslim ummah, on the occasion of the month of Ramadhaan?

Response: In the name of Allaah, all praise is to Allaah alone, and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and his family and his companions and whoever is guided [aright] by his guidance. To proceed:

Certainly, concerning the approach of the blessed month of Ramadhaan, I advise my Muslim brethren everywhere to have taqwa of Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic; to strive to do good deeds; to give sincere advice and be patient with the advice; to assist one another in good deeds and piety; to be cautious of all the sins Allaah has forbidden, wherever one may be, especially during this noble month – for indeed it is a great (precious) month, within which the reward for good actions is multiplied.

Mistakes (sins) are forgiven during this month, for those who fast and perform voluntary prayers, with sincere faith and hoping to attain Allaah’s rewards.

The Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: «Whoever fasts during the month of Ramadhaan, out of sincere faith and hoping to attain Allaah’s rewards, then all his previous sins will be forgiven».

The Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) also said: «When the month of Ramadhaan starts, the gates of the Heaven are opened and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained».

The Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) also said: «Fasting is a shield or protection from the fire and from committing sins. If one of you is fasting, he should avoid sexual relation with his wife and quarreling, and if somebody should fight or quarrel with him, he should say, “I am fasting”».

The Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) also said (on the authority of Allaah): «All the deeds of the son of Aadam are for for himself; a good deed is equal to ten times it’s equivalent except fasting, for certainly it is for Me, and I will give the reward for it. He left his desires, his food, his drink for My sake. There are two pleasures for the fasting person, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time when he will meet his Lord. The unpleasant smell coming from the mouth of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allaah than the smell of musk».

The Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to announce the good news of the arrival of the month of Ramadhaan to his companions, and would say to them: «The month of Ramadhaan has come to you. It is the month of blessings. During this month, Allaah sends down mercy, ones mistakes are forgiven, supplications are answered and Allaah praises you in the presence of His angels, so show Allaah your virtues. For certainly the unfortunate individual is he who is prohibited from the mercy of Allaah».

The Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: «One who does not abandon evil talk and actions, then Allaah is not in need of him abandoning his food and drink (i.e. his fasting)».

And [such] narrations regarding the superiority of Ramadhaan and striving to increase good deeds in it, are many.

Therefore, I advise my Muslim brethren to be sincere and upright during the days and the nights, and to compete in doing all good deeds. And from amongst these ([good deeds] are: To increase in reading the Noble Qur.aan, with understanding and contemplation. And to increase in glorifying Allaah [subhaan-Allaah] (at-Tasbeeh), prasing Allaah [al-Hamdu-Lillaah] (at-Tahmeed), declaring none truly worthy of worship except Allaah [Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah] (at-Tahleel), declaring the greatness of Allaah [Allaahu Akbar] (at-Takbeer), and seeking forgiveness from Allaah [Astaghfi-rullaah] (al-Istighfaar), and to ask Allaah for Paradise, seeking His protection from the Hell fire and all (other) good supplications.

I also advise my Muslim brethren to increase in giving charity during this month; to comfort the poor and destitute; to make [every] effort to deduct the Zakaah [from one’s wealth] and distribute it amongst the deserving; to make [every] effort in inviting to [the path of] Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta’aala) and teaching those unacquainted [with Islaam]; to command the good and forbid the evil with gentleness, wisdom and the best of manners; to warn against all evil and adhere to seeking sincere repentance, according to Allaah’s saying: {…and all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful}, [Soorah an-Noor, Aayah 31].

And the saying of Allaah: {Verily those who say: ‘Our Lord is [only] Allaah,’ and thereafter Istaqaamu (i.e. stood firm and straight on the Islaamic Faith of Monotheism by abstaining from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which Allaah has forbidden and by performing all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained), – On them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. Such shall be the dwellers of Paradise, abiding therein [forever], – a reward for what they used to do}, [Soorah al-Ahqaaf, Aayah’s 13-14].

May Allaah grant everyone success in that which pleases Him and protect everyone from the temptations which misguide and all satanic enticement. For certainly Allaah is generous and kind.

Reference: Fataawa Ramadhaan – Volume 1, Page 32, Fatwa No.7. Majmoo’ Fataawa Samaahatu as-Shaykh ‘Abdul-‘Azeez Ibn Baaz – Volume 3, Pages 147-148

http://www.fatwa-online.com/words-of-advice-for-ramadhaan/