Grammatical Terms - what do they mean?

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
Salams

Incase you have not learned a language before, maybe you never had any need to understand exactly what is a verb, noun, adjective etc. If that is the case, I hope this thread will be a useful reference for you insha allah.

The parts of speech

Noun - a noun is a thing. It may be referred to as a "naming word" such as "table" "floor" "banana" "Mohammed" etc

Pronoun - a pronoun is a word that is used in place of a noun. In English they are words such as "he" "she" "we" "it"

Adjective - a "describing word" such as "green" "nice" "old" "interesting"

Verb - a verb is a "doing word" such as "run" "eat" "look" "write". It must be changed slightly depending who is doing the action, like in english we say "I write" but "he writes"

Adverb - a word describing how a word is done, such as "quickly" "efficiently"

Preposition - a word which shows where something is, eg "in" "under"

Equational sentence - a sentence following the pattern of "something is something" [made up of a subject and a predicate: ]

The subject here is basically what the sentence is about. We could say it is the topic of the sentence. When we say "The house is big.", the sentence is telling us something about the house, so the house is known as the subject.

The predicate is simply a word which tells us something about the subject. "Big" in the above sentence is the predicate because it is telling us about the house.

Verbal sentence - a sentence with a verb (doing word) in it. It always has a subject, and usually has an object

Subject - the subject of the verbal sentence is always a noun.The subject is the person or thing that is doing the action eg in the sentence "I saw Sajid", I am the subject.

Object - The object has an action done to it, in the above sentence, Sajid is the object.

Other words derived from verbs

Active Participle - The person who does the action of that verb. If the verb was "write" then the activer participle is "writer"

Passive participle - The thing that has had the action done to it. If the verb was "choose" then the passive participle is "chosen"

Verbal noun - this is a naming word that had its origin in a verb. Often it names a concept rather than a specific thing. An example of this is the word "smoking" in the sentence "Smoking is bad for you."

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalam..

ergh..yuck, reminds me exactly why i gave up english, but its good to be reminded i suppose :redface:

jzk

hambaAllah

:bismillah:
:salam2:

isra
Assalam..

ergh..yuck, reminds me exactly why i gave up english, but its good to be reminded i suppose

jzk

Guess its the same for me now with arabic,, but still trying hard to understand it .....although i have same problem with english too.. no problem speaking it but pls dont asked me about its grammar.. i'll be all muddlehead for sure :confused::(

:wasalam::hijabi:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Salam

I'm 180 degrees opposite of you :) Grammar was one of my most favorite subjects in school together with math.

maths was fine...:) in fact i do wish i carried it on, so that makes it approx 90 degrees instead yes?

lol

wasalam

dianne

I'm 180 degrees opposite of you :) Grammar was one of my most favorite subjects in school together with math.

Salam,

brother ayman-is my english good so far? lol.please judge me.i dont use english for my major language.its only sometimes when talk to my friends.

wassalam

dianne

Wa `Alayki Assalaam, sister.

Your English is fine, masha-Allah. :)

Salam brother ayman,

lol thanks for ur comment,english is 2nd language in my country,but most of ppl in here use malay to communicate,english use by corporates community in here,most of them use english mix with malay language called manglish. lol

i dont get used to speak manglish,sound funny to me! my accents more to american,When i was in san diego,they said that im philipines,lol coz of my looks,some of them said im chinese,lol,actually im malay from malaysia.ha ha

wassalam

Ayed

Barak Allahu feeka ya akh Muhammaed..
Allow me to translate these terms for you:
The parts of speech

Noun(اسم : Ism) - a noun is a thing. It may be referred to as a "naming word" such as "table" "floor" "banana" "Mohammed" etc

Pronoun(Dhameer : ضمير) - a pronoun is a word that is used in place of a noun. In English they are words such as "he" "she" "we" "it"

Adjective(Sifah: صفة) - a "describing word" such as "green" "nice" "old" "interesting"

Verb (Fi3il : فعل )- a verb is a "doing word" such as "run" "eat" "look" "write". It must be changed slightly depending who is doing the action, like in english we say "I write" but "he writes"

Adverb (Hal : حال )- a word describing how a word is done, such as "quickly" "efficiently"

Preposition (Harf Jarr : حرف جر )- a word which shows where something is, eg "in" "under"

Equational sentence(Jumlatun Ismiyyah : جملة إسمية) - a sentence following the pattern of "something is something" [made up of a subject and a predicate: ]

The subject here is basically what the sentence is about. We could say it is the topic of the sentence. When we say "The house is big.", the sentence is telling us something about the house, so the house is known as the subject.

The predicate is simply a word which tells us something about the subject. "Big" in the above sentence is the predicate because it is telling us about the house.

Verbal sentence(Jumlatun Fi3liyyah:جملة فعلية)- a sentence with a verb (doing word) in it. It always has a subject, and usually has an object

Subject(fa3il :فاعل) - the subject of the verbal sentence is always a noun.The subject is the person or thing that is doing the action eg in the sentence "I saw Sajid", I am the subject.

Object (al-maf3ool bihi : المفعول به)- The object has an action done to it, in the above sentence, Sajid is the object.

Other words derived from verbs

Active Participle (mabni Lil-ma3loom: مبني للمعلوم)- The person who does the action of that verb. If the verb was "write" then the activer participle is "writer"

Passive participle (mabni Lil-majhool: مبني للمجهول )- The thing that has had the action done to it. If the verb was "choose" then the passive participle is "chosen"

Verbal noun(ism al-fi3il: اسم الفعل) - this is a naming word that had its origin in a verb. Often it names a concept rather than a specific thing. An example of this is the word "smoking" in the sentence "Smoking is bad for you."

-------
I hope this could help you out .