gulab jamun

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Ooops. I have pag of gulab jamun mix at home but haven´t try it yet. From Bangladesh.

Maybe I need to try soon.

:)

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Ooops. I have pag of gulab jamun mix at home but haven´t try it yet. From Bangladesh.

Maybe I need to try soon.

:)

Don't use that stuff, it's only disappointing.

The simplest, and most successful, recipe you will find, hopefully, as follows:

What you need:

1 egg
1 teaspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon margarine (not butter)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Milk powder - no specific quantity as such, enough to form a consistency that you can roll into balls, not too sticky, and not too dense, so it breaks apart.

Method:

Combine all your ingredients, leaving the milk powder to the end so as to get the texture right. Roll into small balls. To prepare your sugar syrup, which should not be thick in consistency, add 2 cups sugar to every 1 cup water. Add cardamom pods for flavour and fragrance. Heat some unflavoured oil, on low to medium heat. Add the gulaab jaamun, turning them quickly and evenly, to get a dark brown colour. As they cook, remove onto a plate, lined with absorbent tissue paper, and add them, as a whole, not individually, to the sugar syrup. They should stay in there for a maximum of five minutes, no more, no less. Add some rose water to the syrup. This step comes in now because if you add it earlier, it evaporates. And, you're done.

And a just-in-caser, I have not made them on my own before (as in, these desserts are done collectively). But this is the family recipe and can confidently say, it works. As I hope it does for anyone who tries it.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

I have never heard of egg added to gulab jamun.

Um.. I don't know how to make it, but my mother has made it with lots of carnation milk previously, and also aunt jamima pancake mix.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
I know the feeling of being overwhelmed by a long recipe, with a long list of instructions, so here are some further suggestions:

- When cooked, and ready to serve, drizzle with some syrup and top with flaked almonds.
- If you feel the colour is not even on all of them, or across the same ball, do not worry, as the magic happens in the syrup and they all look the same.
- Your syrup does not need to be thick so you're okay to stir it.

If I remember anything else, I'll be sure to add, and if I do make them, I will post step-by-step photos. I've shared this photo before, but for the sake of this recipe, for Tabassum, who is confuzzled about the addition of the egg, this photo is a product of this recipe.

IMAG0919.jpg