HADITH EXPLANATIONS FROM CLASSICAL TEXTS

Mujaddid Ibn Abdullah

First hadith explanation is taken from Fathul bari by Ibn Hajar and rest of the hadith explanations from Jami’ al Ulum wal Hikam by Ibn Rajab.

Hadith 1 :

Abdullah bin Al zubair Al humaidi narrated to us , he said Sufyan (bin ’Uyainah) narrated to us, he said Yahya bin Sa’eed Al ansaari said Muhammad bin Ibraahim Al taimi informed me that he heard ‘Alqamah bin Waqqas Allaithi say that I heard ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab radhiallahuanhu on the pulpit (minbar), he said :

“ I heard Allah's Prophet (Sallallahu a’laihi wa sallam) saying, ‘The deeds are only upon the intentions and every person has only what he has intended for. So whoever’s emigration was to get the world (i.e. worldly benefits) or for a woman to marry her, then his emigration will be for what he emigrated for.’ "

(Bukhari & Muslim)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 2 :

‘Umar bin Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

One day we were sitting in the company of Allah’s Massenger (peace be upon him), when there appeared before us a man dressed in extremely white clothing; his hair was extraordinarily black. There were no signs of travel on him and none of us knew him. He (proceeded until) he sat before the Massenger (peace be upon him), his knees supported against the Prophet’s, his palms placed on his thighs, and said, “O Muhammad, tell me about Islam.” The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, “Islam is to testily that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah; and that you establish prayer, pay zakah (obligatory charity), observe the fast of Ramadan, and perform pilgrimage to (Allah’s) House if you have the means to do so.” (The inquirer) said, “You have told the truth.” ‘Umar bin AI-Khattb commented, “It astonished us that he would ask and then verify the truth.” (The inquirer) said, “Inform me about iman (faith).” Allah’s Messenger replied, “It is that you believe in Allah, His angels, His Books, His Massengers, the Day of Judgment, and that you believe in Divine Preordination, whether good or bad.” (The inquirer) responded, “You have told the truth.” He then said, “Inform me about ihsan (beneficence).” Allah’s Messenger said, “(It is) that you worship Allah as if you see Him, for though you don't see Him, (you know) He sees you.” The inquirer said, “Inform me about the hour (of the Day of Judgment).” The Messenger of Allah remarked, “The one being asked knows no more than the questioner.” The inquirer said, “Tell me some of its signs.” He (the Holy Prophet) said, “(They are) that the slave-girl will give birth to her mistress (or master), and that you will find barefooted, destitute goat-herders vying with one another in the construction of magnificent buildings.” The narrator, (‘Umar bin Al-Khattab] said, “Then he [the inquirer] went on his way but I stayed with him [Allah’s Messenger] for a long while.” He then said to me, “’Umar, do you know who this inquirer was?’ I replied, ‘Allah and His Messenger know best.’ He remarked, ‘It was (the angel) Gabriel. He came to you [people] in order to teach you your religion.’”

(Recorded by Muslim in Kitab Al- Iman (Book on Faith), no. 1/8.)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 3 :

Sufyan bin 'Abdullah Ath-Thaqafy reported that he said,

“I said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, tell me about Islam a thing which might dispense with the necessity of my asking anybody after you.’ Prophet (Sallallahu A’laihi wa sallam) remarked, ‘Say I affirm my faith in Allah and then remain steadfast to it.’ ”

(Recorded by Imam Muslim in Kitab Al-lman (Book on Faith), no. 62/38; also recorded by Imam Ahmad in Al-Musnad, no. 2/413.)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 4 :

It is reported that ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said,

“I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) as saying, '(The religion of) Islam is based on five (pillars): to testify that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His Servant and Messenger; to establish the prescribed prayers; to pay the obligatory Zakah; to make Hajj (pilgrimage); and to observe Fasting throughout the month of Ramadan.’ "

(Recorded by Al-Bukhary in Kitab Al-lman (Book on Faith); hadith no. 8; and also recorded by Imam Muslim in Kitab Al-lman (Book on Faith); hadith no. 16/21.)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 5 :

Abu Najih Al-‘Irbad bin Sariyah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported,

“The Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) delivered an eloquent sermon, which greatly moved us and sent a wave of fear into our hearts and our eyes shed tears. We said to him, ‘This sermon seems like the last advice; then tell us something more as advice.’ He said, ‘I advise you to fear Allah (because of your obligations to Allah) and to hear and obey even a slave who may be put in authority over you. Those of you who survive me will notice many differences. It will be incumbent upon you to follow my Sunnah (tradition) and the practices of my rightly guided successors (Caliphs) and hold fast with these precepts and traditions and beware of innovations and inventions in religion, because every innovation leads to the wrong path.’ ”

(Recorded by Abu Dawud in his As-Sunan, no., 4607; by At-Tirmidhy in Kitab Al- 'Ilm (Book on Knowledge), no., 2676; by Ibn Majah in his Al-Muqaddimah, no., 42; and by Imam Ahmad, no., 4/126,127.)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 6 :

Abu Sa‘id Al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) said,

“ I heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) saying, ‘Whosoever of you sees an evil action, he must change it with his hand. If he is not able to do so, then he must change it] with his tongue. If he is not able to do so then [he must change it] with his heart and this is the weakest (manifestation) of faith.’ ”

(Recorded by Muslim in Kitab Al-Iman (Book on Faith), no, 49/78.)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 7 :

It was narrated on the authority of the Mother of the Believers, Umm ‘Abdullah, A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her), who said,

“The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, ‘Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours that is not from it shall have it rejected.’ ”

(Recorded by Al-Bukhary in Kilab As-Sulh (Book on Peacemaking) no. 2697; also recorded by Muslim in Kitab Al-Aqdiyah (Book on Judicial Matters) 1718/18.)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 8 :

It was narrated on the authority of Abu ‘Abdullah An-Nu‘uman bin Bashir (may Allah be pleased with them) who said, “I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) saying,

“That which is lawful is clear, and that which is unlawful is clear and between the two of them are doubtful [or ambiguous] matters about which not many people are knowledgeable. Thus, he who avoids these doubtful matters certainly clears himself in regard to his religion and his honor. But he who falls into the doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Verily, every king has a sanctuary, and Allah's sanctuary is His prohibitions. In the body there is a piece of flesh which, if it is sound, all of the body is sound, and which, if it is diseased, all of the body is diseased. This part of the body is the heart.’ ”

(Recorded by Al-Bukhary in Kitab Al-lman (Book on Faith) no. 52; also recorded by Muslim in Kitab Al-Musaqah (Book on Share Cropping) 1599/107)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 9 :

It was narrated on the authority of Abu Hurayrah ‘Abdur-Rahman bin Sakhr (may Allah be pleased with him) who said, “I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) saying,

“What I have forbidden you, stay away from. What I have ordered you [to do], do as much of it as you can. Verily, the people before you were destroyed only because of their excessive questioning and their disagreeing with their Prophets. ”

(Recorded by Al-Bukhary in Kitab Al-I'tisaam (Book on Holding Fast to the Qur'an and Sunnah) no. 7288; also recorded by Muslim in Kitab Al-FadiVil (Book on Fada'il) 1337/120)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 10 :

Abu Muhammad ‘Abdullah bin ‘Amr bin Al-‘As reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

“None of you will believe until your capricious whimsical inclinations are subservient to what I have come with.”

(Recorded by Ibn Abi 'Asim in As-Sunnah, no. 15; by Abu Al-Qasim Al-Asbahany in Kitab Al-Hujjah, no. 103; by Al-Baghawy in Sharh As- Sunnah, no. 104 and by Al-Khatib in Tarikh Baghdad (History of Baghdad) no. 4/469.)

Read it’s explanation

Hadith 11 :

Abu Tha’labah Al-Khushany (Jurthum bin Nashir) (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said,

“Allah, the Exalted, has laid down certain duties which you should not transgress. He has also made certain things illegal which you should not commit, and has kept silent about other things out of mercy for you but not from forgetfulness. So do not hold discussion about them.”

(Recorded by Ad-Daraqutny in his Sunan, no., 4/183, 184; also recorded by and At-Tabarany in Al-Kabir, no., 22/589.)

Read it’s explanation