Haraam promotions

Ferrari1981

Salaam

Basically this applies to everything in life.

Now most of you will probably say don't eat at McDonalds or boycott certain companies because of a political issues, others will say it’s only food or a gift.

Many of us will get offers, promotions, haraam gifts (sweets etc) for the sake of cheap goods!

If you got anything that remotely sounds promotional or offers like for example with some sweets we cannot eat or a money saving book for McDonald’s food, what would you do:

- Give it to a non-believer?
- Throw it in the trash can?
- Recycle it?
- Take it anyway!?
- Don’t know!

Some of you may say give it to a non-believer (we tend to do this alot anyway), but isn't our job to convince our non-believing humans to see our way of life, correct them to the right path?

So giving away unwanted gifts, promotional offers and haraam sweets to non-believers because we ourselves cannot take is right or wrong?

What would you do with your haraam gifts (goods, food, drinks)?

Also we have people who make money (profit) for the sake of survival of so fair enough you buy cheap and sell for profit that’s fine... but what if what you’re buying is stolen? Would you knowingly buy stolen items for profit yourself?

Finance is a long issue so I will not go into it, but haraam promotions is something important to look into it and its very much common sense!

Anyway you take care; I hope to hear from you soon, Inshallah.

Ma'asalaama

falasteenrose

My tuppence worth!

:salam2:
I personally would not give to unbelievers.. as what is haraam for us is haraam for them too... so i would feel uncomfortable doing this on that principle.. if it was vouchers or something that could be recycled then maybe thats a better idea rather than throwing it in the bin... whereas food items i personally would throw them in the bin and Allah knows best..
we are all judged by our intention and my intention would not be to waste these food or drink items.
Allahu Allam
Allah protect us and keep us all on the straight path
Ameen
Your sister in islam
Falasteenrose

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
I have many times in the past given a non-believer my Haraam things. My mother sometimes makes me a bologna sandwich, so I give it to one of my friends (most of them are non-believers with one being Muslim).

e.muhsin

assalammualaikum,
jazakollohu for the sharing. Usually I used to give the things to my non-believers friends since I thought it would be mubadzir if I just throwed away into bin. But, after reading this post, I agree with you that it's better not to promote the haram foods to non-believers.
How come we still expect them to become muslim if we still give them Haraam products?
wassalam

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
I have to bring this up again coz the question I have is still not answered...
Accepting promotional gifts from stores is haraam??! :O e.g. here we get milk with a mug attached to the bottle so if you buy the milk you get the mug for free. it is haraam to accept the mug???
I recently went shopping and the promotion (which I didnt know about) was spend 200 and get a 100 gift voucher for the same store. that means getting 100 worth of free goods. its this haraam? (anyway, i gave my voucher away).

Note: this is not like gambling, this is just going about your usual business and happening upon the promotion...

Second: AIR MILES! im a frequesnt traveller and have frequent flyer miles with three air lines... Is it haraam for me to accumulate miles and use it to buy a free ticket?
Same pricipal but with my local service provider, according to the amount you spend on your monthly bill, you get points... once you have accumulated points, you can chose a gift from a catalogue.

If this is all haraam, I need to know WHY!

Sorry i tried Islam QA but ddnt get a clear answer...

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

Dear sister, this is what i read regarding this subject.
It is clear answer alhamdullilah.

My opinion concerning this issue is to differentiate between two kinds of prizes: simple gifts as it is a customary practice of traders to give to the customers who buy a great amount of goods some gifts such as children toys or an extra piece of the commodity they have bought as a sign of thankfulness and encouragement. The second type of gifts is to give expensive prizes such as a car, refrigerator, etc. which is won by only one of the coupon holders among the customers after a selection done in a random drawing as in the case of lottery.

As for the first kind, simple gifts which traders are used to give to those who make big shopping and buy several products are Halal for this is a token of showing gratitude to the customer. As for the second type, which undergoes a selection in a random drawing it is no more than commercial lottery which is seen by the Muslim scholars as a kind of gambling and hence it is Haram and causes both the trader and customer to incur sin. The prize accrued during the above method is not Halal.

In addition, this method exposes minor traders to great loss, for it will keep customers away from dealing with them because they do not have such attractive methods of gambling.

Dealing with the issue of sale prizes in much more detail, the late Sheikh Mustafa Ahmad Az-Zarqa, professor of Jurisprudence at the Syrian Universities.

for more information http://www.islamawareness.net/Gambling/gambling_fatwa005.html

:salam2:

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Sister Hajjer, JazakAllah Khair. That answers the question of gifts. So the voucher was halaal for me?! anyway, it is with someone who appreciated it a lot :)
What about the air miles issue? Would it be considered the same as a "gift" from the company?