Help with my new name..

shous

:bismillah:
I want to change my name to a more "Islamic" name.
I guess it is a way to show my faith. Please tell me if spelling is wrong and such.
I want a name that reflects my birth name; which means: pure, virginal

Here is what I came up with so far...
(please tell me what you think or if you have another to add)

Safa' - Pure
Tahirah, Taahira - Pure, chaste
Zakiyah - Pure
Adara - Virgin
'Afaf - Chaste, virtuous, decent, pure
'Afifah - Chaste, modest
Aludra - Virgin
Asilah - Noble origin, pure
'Atikah, Atika - Virgin, pure, clear
Khalisah - Sincere, pure
Kulus - Clearness, purity
Safa' - Pure
Safaa - Clarity, purity, serenity; name of a hill in Makkah

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam

Sister that is good u want to change your name to islamic one. Alhamdulillah all the above names are nice. I personally like safaa/safa, it is the name of a hill in makkah.It has a nice meaning, but it is up2 you, depends what you like...:biggrin:

'The well of zamzam exploded under the infant Ismael's feet who was crying while his mother Hajar was searching for water and walking after a mirage between two hills called Al Safa wa Al Marwa. Meaning: The Pure & The Quench, thinking it is an oasis of water because of the mirage effect, Muslims perform the safa and marwa tawaf in memoration of hajar.'

W/salaam

shous said:
:bismillah:
I want to change my name to a more "Islamic" name.
I guess it is a way to show my faith. Please tell me if spelling is wrong and such.
I want a name that reflects my birth name; which means: pure, virginal

Here is what I came up with so far...
(please tell me what you think or if you have another to add)

Safa' - Pure
Zakiyah - Pure
Adara - Virgin
'Afifah - Chaste, modest
Aludra - Virgin
Khalisah - Sincere, pure
Safa' - Pure

:salam2: sister
this is an artcile wrote by a revert, you will find his point of view about the fact of changing names after embracing Islam.
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732

So for me i can help you by giving you how we write the names, that you wrote, in Arabic :)

Safa' - Pure صفاء
Tahirah, Taahira - Pure, chaste طاهرة
Zakiyah - Pure زكية
Adara - Virgin عدارة
'Afaf - Chaste, virtuous, decent, pure عفاف
'Afifah - Chaste, modest عفيفة
Aludra - Virgin العدراء
Asilah - Noble origin, pure أصيلة
'Atikah, Atika - Virgin, pure, clear عاتقة
Khalisah - Sincere, pure خالصة
KHULUS Kulus - Clearness, purity خلوص
Safa' - Pure صفاء

Safaa - Clarity, purity, serenity; name of a hill in Makkah الصفى or صفى

May Allah help you to make a good choice. Ameen
Salam

umarjaspal

dear sister,

Assalam o alaikum!

if you are a revert from christianity, i would suggest "MARIAM" this is from mary, the mother of jesus. the reason being that in Quran Allah subhanahu wa tala says that neither of jesus or moses were christians or jews, but they were true muslims who followed the path of Allah. however, it were there followeres who named them jews or christians..........so the idea is that this is a very islamic name as well as thought provoking for christians.......

please note that i am just suggesting....and Allah knows best.

brother in islam

umar

umarjaspal

name

:salam2:

i have noticed that our beloved prophet Muhammad peace be upon him did not change names of some people when they reverted......for instance the name Umar was not changed when Umar Khattab embraced islam.

but if you like to change name as i understand that your changing name would also be like promoting islam and i pray that Allah subhanahu wa tala grants you from the best of his treasures for doing so.

change of name can help in many ways....starting from making your faith stronger and stronger...to promoting islam, dawah, and putting more meaning and conviction in your name.

so if there are so many benefits attached, then this is a step worth taking........

here are a few suggestings.

MARYIAM the mother of jesus
KHADIJA the first woman to follow the prophet peace be upon him
Ayesha the mother of muslims and the woman who would be the leader of all women in jannah.

so there are quite a few choices,.....inshallah you choose whatever you think is good for you..

regards,

brother in islam

umar

Hajar

Staff member
Assalamu alaykum sis,

MashaAllah u already have a nice list of names.. hehe i like Safa too :)

Check out this linky.. here u can find loads of islamic feminine names.

http://www.sudairy.com/arabic/fem.html#D

InshaAllah im sure u will choose the best name for you.. and dont forget to tell us which name its gonna be!! ;)

Wasalam,

Hajar

cadette

Names

Assalaam mualaykum sister

The thing to remember is that the name chosen somehow reflects in the personality and character of the person.

My second daughter's name is Zakiyah and she is very pleasant and even tempered.

My nephew is named Hamza after the Prophet Muhammed (S.W.A)'s uncle and he has alot of the characteristics related in the stories about Hamza (RA).

So choose the name after contemplating the character of the persons who had that name.

All the best

Was salaam

Hafsa

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum all the names that you listed are Arabic names, not ISlamicnames. These are Arabic thats all.

Safa' - Pure
Zakiyah - Pure
Adara - Virgin
'Afifah - Chaste, modest
Aludra - Virgin
Khalisah - Sincere, pure
Safa' - Pure

Islamic are those that are used by the Prophets and their wives and the companions of the Prophets. They are names that are mentioned in the Quran and the Hadith.

For example, Sara, Hajar were wives of the Prophet Ibrahim, all 3 of these names are good.... likewise names such as Muhammad, Musa, Khadija, Safiyyah are all Islamic names.

I recommend you read up on biographies of the wonderful women in Islamic history and choose a name based on that. InshaAllah.

samiha

---------
Staff member
I think having a good name with good meaning gives society the first impression of what kind of person you would like to be known as. However a name is nothing by itself, the person bearing it has to work to achieve it's meaning. So choose based on what characteristics u like.

Wassalam