History of Islam in Pittsburgh

Mohammed

An Oral History of Islam in Pittsburgh.

[vg]-7363431744141688988[/vg]​

“An Oral History of Islam in Pittsburgh” is an examination of Islam’s evolution in the city of Pittsburgh, beginning with migrant ex-slaves in the post Civil War era, to the twentieth century, when indigenous Muslims began collecting pieces of Islam to form their own communities. The film looks at pseudo-Islamic movements such as the Moorish Science Temple and the Nation of Islam, in addition to off-shoots of traditional Islam such as the Ahmadiyah movement, which were all part of Islam's evolution in the city's indigenous Muslim population.

Time is spent to examine the contributions of Dr. Yousef Khan, a man largely responsible for migrating members of Pittsburgh's Moorish Science Temple to a more traditional Islam. Additionally, the film looks at the Nation of Islam's relationship in Pittsburgh, including frequent visits by Malcolm X, and the nation's evolution toward a more traditional Islam.

Finally, the film moves to the 70s and early 80s, when immigrant Muslims began to intermingle with indigenous Muslims and form their own communities. Also, time is spent to look at Muslims' current situation in Pittsburgh and search for solutions to improve the Muslim community.

JIRMA

this gave me a good insight and made me reflect the possible processe of spritual growth of the early muslims as the religion was growing and relinquishing of the mental attitude and culture to true islam. This means we should not condem our brothers/sisters who have little ismalic knowledge in their journey towrds true islam. To the scholars, what was the organizational startegy the prophet(SAW) used as the muslim grew in number with new challenges?

Logic dictates, effecient units make a WHOLE. How about create a muslim cell in each neighbourhood that prays together, solves its problems and exploits its strength with other cells borrowing or replicating the success with a coordinating comittee. This would mean honest cell/neighbourhood leadership that respects the other neighbourhood and its members. As much as we blame the Ummah, i think the leadership needs to agree that they are not expert in all aspects and islam is not only about teaching the tafsir or the seras of the prophet but having meetings at the mosques to discuss issues that address the day to day problems and the sheikhs/imams should take back seat(wilst guiding within farme work of islam) but allow the many muslim professionals or otherwise who have organizationals skills to drive the plans.

Look at most(not all) Muslim NGOs(imams/sheikhs, arent doing well while the academies are doing better where families get involved!

what do you think brothers/sisters and forgive me incase i offended anyone