How does sustenance come from Allaah when we're able to increase our own sustenance?

sclavus

Question:

Some people say, "How can all of the sustenance come from Allaah whereas I am able to increase my (level of) work in a day in order to get more sustenance. So how can sustenance be decreed for me, and written for me without me having any role in increasing it or decreasing it", and are there any books that research into these matters that you can direct us to?

Answer:

Sustenance is from Allaah in terms of bringing it into existence, determining its amount and giving of it. And earning it and adopting the ways and means by which it is acquired is for the servant. The servant (of Allaah) adopts the means, whether it is difficult, easy, plentiful or negligible, and Allaah is the one who decrees the means, and brings it into existence, as a bounty and mercy from Himself. So the sustenance is attributed to Allaah in its determination and granting, and to the servant in terms earning it and adopting the ways and means by which it is acquired.

Permanent Committee for Research and Verdicts
Shaykh `Abdullah bin Ghudayaan
Shaykh `Abdur-Razzaaq al-`Afeefee
Shaykh `Abdullaah bin Munee`
Fataawaa al-Lajnah ad-Daa'imah, Vol 1 page 30, Fatwa No. 8772, compiled by Shaykh Ahmad ad-Duwaish.
Translated by Abu `Iyaad Amjad Rafiq.

http://www.fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=59