How Hollywood villifies Arabs

Asha88

Ghurabaa
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-223210418534585840#

Assalam alaikom wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakatuh,

I found an extremely good video made by an American Professor about how Hollywood villifies Arabs & Islam and thought I'd share with everyone. He dissects each movie that potrays Arabs in a negative light and questions why the need to include Arabs in those movies. It's almost an hour long but I promise you that it's a good one inshaAllah. I hope that more people are aware of this racist propaganda behind these movies because most of the time, people tend to associate Arabs with Muslims and these atrocities will immediately points towards Islam.

In my opinion, I think it is important that our Muslim youths (especially the younger ones) are aware of this. What I find most disturbing is that these racist elements are quite subtle and with constant bombardment of such images on media, we become more accepting towards it unknowingly. I mean I am sure most of us are old enough to differentiate between right and wrong but how about our younger siblings/ brothers and sisters who grow up watching Hollywood movies? From my own personal experience, I remember watching movies that depict Muslims as being terrorists and since I was young and lack knowledge, at one point I even questioned if Islam allows killing people unjustly. Or that Muslim women are oppressed. Media has indeed infiltrated into our lives and without us realising, it even influences our perceptions. It is up to us to spread awareness to everyone.

There is another lecture by Dr.Sheehan on youtube on this topic as well. I leave all of you with a quote from his lecture: We first kill people with our minds before we kill them with our weapons.

Wa alaikom salam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamua'laykum wa rahmatullah,

Yes, indeed you are right that the media has "brainwashed" many of us but inshaAllaah those who are wise and sincere enough to look and research about the truth rather than accepting everything from the media wholeheartedly will eventually see the "light".

Jazakillahu khayr for the video. Will look up on it when Im able to InshaAllaah.

BTW, I like your avatar :)

Wassalamua'laykum.