• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

Al-bint

Smile! It's Sunnah!
:salam2:

Hope everyone is in the state of best health and a strong Imaan!

Wanted to ask everyone over here, do you do rafadeyn while praying? Is praying without rafadeyn wrong? In Sunan abudawud, I found hadith for both. So can it be said that both ways are correct?

jazakallah khairan!

Idris16

When pronouncing Takbeer al-Ihraam (the first Takbeer), when bowing in Rukoo’, when rising from Rukoo’ and when standing up after the first Tashahhud.

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) started his prayer, he would say “Allaahu akbar” and raise his hands, when he bowed in rukoo’ he would raise his hands, when he said “Sami’a Allaahu liman hamidah [Allaah hears those who praise Him]” he would raise his hands, and when he stood up after two Rak’ahs he would raise his hands. (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2/222; Abu Dawood, 1/197).

The extreme Muqallid Hanafis only do Takbeerat al-Ihraam. May Allaah help them to follow the Sunnah.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
By the way let's not make this thread a Hanafi bashing thread- just saying before it becomes one. Yes, they may have understood the evidences on this issue wrongly- but let us give them the benefit of the doubt. Do remember, they have their evidences that they think is strong.

When pronouncing Takbeer al-Ihraam (the first Takbeer), when bowing in Rukoo’, when rising from Rukoo’ and when standing up after the first Tashahhud.

Majority of the scholars who opine for raf` al-Yadayn don't all agree on the bolded part. Many scholars are of the view that the sunnah is to raise hands before going into rukoo` and after coming back from rukoo` and not when standing up after the first tashahhud. Like even the hanaabilah- Ibn Qudaamah does not even mention the raising of hands after first tashahhud in any of his fiqh books. Anyone who wants to read about it can refer to Ibn Rajab's fath al-Baari, he has some nice stuff on this issue. The evidence on this does seem to be very convincing though- wAllaahu a`lam.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Imaam al-Nawawi said that this is the known opinion of the shaafi`ees

Al-bint

Smile! It's Sunnah!
so, my question still remains unanswered. are both right?

Abu dawud:

Book 3, Number 0725:
Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr: I purposely looked at the prayer of
the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him), how he offered it.
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) stood up, faced the
direction of the qiblah and uttered the takbir (Allah is most
great) and then raised his hands in front of his ears, then
placed his right hand on his left (catching each other). When
he was about to bow, he raised them in the same manner. He
then placed his hands on his knees. When he raised his head
after bowing, he raised them in the like manner. When he
prostrated himself he placed his forehead between his hands.
He then sat down and spread his left foot and placed his left
hand on his left thigh, and kept his right elbow aloof from
his right thigh. He closed his two fingers and made a circle
(with the fingers). I (Asim ibn Kulayb) saw him (Bishr ibn
al−Mufaddal) say in this manner. Bishr made the circle with
the thumb and the middle finger and pointed with the
forefinger.

and again

Abudawud:

Book 3, Number 0751:
Narrated Al−Bara' ibn Azib: I saw that the Apostle of Allah
(peace_be_upon_him) raised his hands when he began prayer, but
he did not raise them until he finished (prayer).

May Allah make the right evident to all the people around the world!

muslimah2012

Assalamu alaikum sister
there is evidence for raising the hands in salah
even while sitting before standing for the 3rd rakah
in these issues you need to speak to a sheikh or someone of knowledge
allthough you probably follow a madhab so you may only take that opinion as right..
best is to try and impliment all of the sunnan in the salah and that may be raising the hands in a certain time and not at other times
but its clear the prophet of Allah as the majority of the scholars agree raised his hands after the first takbir ...how many times and when is according to opinion
and i do it ..
Allahu alem

Idris16

These ahaadeeth include the following:

The hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood (749) from al-Baraa’ ibn ‘Aazib, which says that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to raise his hands almost to his ears when he started to pray, then he did not repeat (this action).

The hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood (748) from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “Shall I not lead you in prayer as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did?” Then he prayed and he only raised his hands once.

See Nasb al-Raayah by al-Zayla’i, 1/393-407.

But these ahaadeeth were classed as da’eef (weak) by the imams of hadeeth.

The hadeeth of al-Baraa’ was classed as da’eef by Sufyaan ibn ‘Uyaynah, al-Shaafa’i, al-Humaydi the shaykh of al-Bukhaari, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Yahya ibn Ma’een, al-Daarimi, al-Bukhaari, and others.

The hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood was classed as da’eef by ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Mubaarak, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, al-Bukhaari, al-Bayhaqi, al-Daaraqutni and others. Similarly, the reports which were narrated from some of the Sahaabah about not raising the hands are all da’eef. We have quoted above the words of al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him): “…it was not proven that any one among the Sahaabah did not raise his hands.”

See Talkhees al-Habeer by al-Haafiz ibn Hajar, 1/221-223.
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/21439/yadayn weak

By the way let's not make this thread a Hanafi bashing thread- just saying before it becomes one. Yes, they may have understood the evidences on this issue wrongly- but let us give them the benefit of the doubt. Do remember, they have their evidences that they think is strong.
I am speaking about todays Muqallid Hanafis, and not those at the time of Abu Haneefah rahimahullah and other early Hanafi Scholars. Todays Hanafis, they have the Saheeh hadiths and it's in front of them, and they choose to deliberately ignore these strong hadeeths.

amer05

Since I learned Salat I never did and I thought it was optional. Sorry for my ignorance. I would like to clarify with imam here.
Thx for info.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/21439/yadayn weak

I am speaking about todays Muqallid Hanafis, and not those at the time of Abu Haneefah rahimahullah and other early Hanafi Scholars. Todays Hanafis, they have the Saheeh hadiths and it's in front of them, and they choose to deliberately ignore these strong hadeeths.

There is nothing wrong being a Muqallid. All of us here do taqleed ourselves. Who determines the hadeeth is saheeh or not? It would be a strong accusation to say that they 'ignore' it.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Since I learned Salat I never did and I thought it was optional. Sorry for my ignorance. I would like to clarify with imam here.
Thx for info.

It is an established sunnah which the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: practised and so did the Sahaabah. If you leave it, there is no sin upon you. But, if you perform it then you will be rewarded. So, the ruling concerning it is that it is recommended.

P.S We don't have any Imam on this forum, from what I know

Al-bint

Smile! It's Sunnah!
It is an established sunnah which the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: practised and so did the Sahaabah. If you leave it, there is no sin upon you. But, if you perform it then you will be rewarded. So, the ruling concerning it is that it is recommended.

P.S We don't have any Imam on this forum, from what I know

are you sure ?

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Salaam all,

Last night someone told me (I have not yet looked it up but I know ya'll know more than me!) that the Prophet SAW used to do rafadeyn before because people used to carry idols in their hands while performing salah so he (SAW) did it to free the hands hence dropping the idols if any one was carry....
Is this true?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Salaam all,

Last night someone told me (I have not yet looked it up but I know ya'll know more than me!) that the Prophet SAW used to do rafadeyn before because people used to carry idols in their hands while performing salah so he (SAW) did it to free the hands hence dropping the idols if any one was carry....
Is this true?

Wa alaykum salam, No and there is no evidence for this. - I heard something similar which was that the Mushrikeen carried the idols under their armpits. - Its all nonsense.

Islam is based upon clear evidences from the Quran and Sunnah.

Wasalam

muslimshabs

Salaam all,

Is this true?

walaikum salaam...

No it is not true...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSHw_hnN7so[/ame]

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Salaam brother,
But I only understand English :s if you could translate this for me that would be great coz the person who told me this respects Zakir Naik a lot - actually, they speak Urdu so I will refer this video directly... But still if you could translate I would be grateful.
Allah bless you
JazakAllah khair

muslimshabs

Salaam brother,
But I only understand English :s if you could translate this for me that would be great coz the person who told me this respects Zakir Naik a lot - actually, they speak Urdu so I will refer this video directly... But still if you could translate I would be grateful.
Allah bless you
JazakAllah khair

Zakir naik is saying the same what Brother Mabsoot has said in the above post. you also watch it full , Dr Zakir naik is himself translating it also...

wasalaam...