How to do Intention For Fasting. Uttering it Out Aloud is Bidah

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

Like every action of worship we do in Islam, there must be necessary Dalil (evidence). For example, we have evidence from Hadith that the Prophet :)saw:) used to do wudhu before his prayers, we have evidence of how he did the ablution and so on.

If some action does not have sound, authentic evidence, then we leave it. Islam is therefore very simple and easy. Especially with regards to how we worship Allah.

For Fasting, the person simply must have the intention to fast. Its not necessary to actually SAY out aloud that you are going to do fast the following day. Rather, it is something that is in our hearts. We know, have a feeling inside of us that tomorrow we will wake up and do fast for Ramadan. This is same for the prayers we do. There are no specific dua to utter out before we pray as there is no evidence for it. When we stand to pray, we know what we are going to do... and Allah knows what is in our hearts.

However, this is seperate to the issue of saying a prayer after breaking the fast. For there is evidence from the Hadith for that.

Uttering the intention to fast out loud is an innovation (bid’ah)

Question:

In India we make the niyah of Saum as "ALLAH HUMMA ASOOMO JADAN LAKA FAGFIRLEE MA KADDAMTU WA MA AKHARTU", I am not sure of the meaning, but is it the right niyah?if yes please explain the meaning or please give me the right niyah proved by Qu`ran and Hadith.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The Ramadaan fast and other acts of worship are not valid unless accompanied by the proper intention, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Actions are but by intentions, and everyone shall have but that which he intended…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1; Muslim, 1907)

The intention is subject to the condition that it be made at night, before the dawn comes, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Whoever does not intend to fast before dawn, there is no fast for him.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 730. According to a version narrated by al-Nasaa’i (2334): “Whoever does not intend to fast from the night before, there is no fast for him.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 573.

What is meant is that whoever does not intend to fast and resolve to do so from the night before, his fast is not valid.

The intention (niyyah) is an action of the heart. The Muslim should resolve in his heart that he is going to fast tomorrow. It is not prescribed for him to utter it out loud and say, “I intend to fast” or “I will fast tomorrow” or other phrases that have been innovated by some people. The correct intention is when a person resolves in his heart that he is going to fast tomorrow.

Hence Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (p. 191):

If it crosses a person’s mind that he is going to fast tomorrow, then he has made the intention.

The Standing Committee was asked:
How should a person intend to fast Ramadaan?
They replied:
The intention is done by resolving to fast. It is essential that the intention to fast Ramadaan be made every night.
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 10/246
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

AishaR

Asalam

Thanx for sharing that brother. I didnt know that.

May you be guided on the correct path

Salam

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam

It is correct Allah sees our intention and whats in our hearts..
:jazaak: bro for sharing that..

:salam2: