How to grow a proper beard?

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
:salam2: brother,
ok I have decided to grow a beard im going to follow the sugguestion of Dr Zakir naik start small then inshallah grow to the size of the fist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYe-CXxgTRk

I had a couple of questions?
is it ok to trim it using electric razors/machines?
Some people shave the neck ? is that not allowed or are we suppose to do?

Please some brothers give me some detail specification how to do it how to start?

I have a goatee now so i need to trim it to make it equal hair if i cant use a electric trimmer how should i do it?
thank you

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

My advice akhi, just leave/pardon it and let it grow. That way you won't have a doubt that you're doing anything wrong. And akhi, trimming/clipping is the same as shaving, you're mutilating the beard. Of course, the exception being to that which is permissible, such as what exceeds a fist full. Yet there is differing on the issue since trimming below a fist full is an action of a companion.

But just to be safe, leave it inshaa' Allaah, and read that book that daywalker attached if you haven't already... Inshaa' Allaah, it will suffice for the issue. If I remember correctly, when I decided to excuse my beard, I also had some kind of goattee or other! By leaving it your other facial hair will quickly catch up inshaa' Allaah, so it won't look odd at all if you're concerned about that.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
As-salaamu `alaykum.

My advice akhi, just leave/pardon it and let it grow. That way you won't have a doubt that you're doing anything wrong. And akhi, trimming/clipping is the same as shaving, you're mutilating the beard. Of course, the exception being to that which is permissible, such as what exceeds a fist full. Yet there is differing on the issue since trimming below a fist full is an action of a companion.

But just to be safe, leave it inshaa' Allaah, and read that book that daywalker attached if you haven't already... Inshaa' Allaah, it will suffice for the issue. If I remember correctly, when I decided to excuse my beard, I also had some kind of goattee or other! By leaving it your other facial hair will quickly catch up inshaa' Allaah, so it won't look odd at all if you're concerned about that.

:salam2:
Kashmiri bhai thank you for ur response

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
:salam2: brothers
JazakAllah khair thank you so much for all the help

Well i trimmed off my mustache :) i have mashallah a really really really small beard growing :p its in the process

Lets see how it goes, i think im going to start with school till my Taqwa grows and inshallah everything will be good
thank you brothers plz keep me in ur dua :)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum wa'Rahmatullaah,

Masha'Allaah, brother Kashmiri has given good advice.

I remember I had some confusion in this but Insha'Allaah I have taken this from another post which cleared everything up for me.

Before you read it, don't worry about how your beard looks as your intention is to please Allaah and obey the Messenger :saw:.

I remember an older brother told me when my beard wasn't that big, he said, 'Don't shave it off or anything because if you do, the areas from where you shaved will go black.' :)

And some people pressure brothers to shave it and then let it grow back 'properly'. I shunned their advice and I'm glad I did.

Question

I request your Eminence to make clear the ruling on shaving the beard, or removing anything from it, and what is the legislated area of the beard?

Answer

Shaving the beard is forbidden, because it is disobedience to the Messenger of Allah :saw:, for the Prophet :saw: said:

"Grow your beards and shorten your moustaches."

[Ahmad 2/52]

And because it is a departure from the guidance of the Messengers to the guidance of the Zoroastrians and the polythiests. The legislated area of the beard is as defined by the scholars of the language, which is that it is the facial hair, the jaws and the cheeks, that is, the hair on the cheeks, jaws and chin - all of that is the beard. And removing anything from it is an act of disobedience and also, because the Messenger :saw: said:

"Grow your beards."

[Ahmad 2/52]

and:

"Leave your beards."

[Muslim no.260]

and:

"Let your beards..."

[Al-Bukhari no2 5892]

and

"Expand your beards..."

[Muslim no.259]

- and this proves that it is not permitted to remove anything from it; however, acts of disobedience differ, so shaving is worse than removing part of it, because it is a greater sin and clearer violation than removing a part of it.

Ibn Uthaimin (May Allah have mercy on him)

Source - Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 8, Rulings Regarding the Beard, pg. 233

Walaykum Salaam wa'Rahmatullaah.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
thank you brother Ditta for that beautiful reply JazakAllah khair

Just a question, So based on this satement below

And because it is a departure from the guidance of the Messengers to the guidance of the Zoroastrians and the polythiests. The legislated area of the beard is as defined by the scholars of the language, which is that it is the facial hair, the jaws and the cheeks, that is, the hair on the cheeks, jaws and chin - all of that is the beard. And removing anything from it is an act of disobedience and also, because the Messenger said:

Does that mean i can shave my hair on the neck ?? i just want to confirm

Ibn_hassan

Servant of Allah
Assalaamu'Alaykum wa'Rahmatullaah,

Masha'Allaah, brother Kashmiri has given good advice.

I remember I had some confusion in this but Insha'Allaah I have taken this from another post which cleared everything up for me.

Before you read it, don't worry about how your beard looks as your intention is to please Allaah and obey the Messenger :saw:.

I remember an older brother told me when my beard wasn't that big, he said, 'Don't shave it off or anything because if you do, the areas from where you shaved will go black.' :)

And some people pressure brothers to shave it and then let it grow back 'properly'. I shunned their advice and I'm glad I did.

Question

I request your Eminence to make clear the ruling on shaving the beard, or removing anything from it, and what is the legislated area of the beard?

Answer

Shaving the beard is forbidden, because it is disobedience to the Messenger of Allah :saw:, for the Prophet :saw: said:

"Grow your beards and shorten your moustaches."

[Ahmad 2/52]

And because it is a departure from the guidance of the Messengers to the guidance of the Zoroastrians and the polythiests. The legislated area of the beard is as defined by the scholars of the language, which is that it is the facial hair, the jaws and the cheeks, that is, the hair on the cheeks, jaws and chin - all of that is the beard. And removing anything from it is an act of disobedience and also, because the Messenger :saw: said:

"Grow your beards."

[Ahmad 2/52]

and:

"Leave your beards."

[Muslim no.260]

and:

"Let your beards..."

[Al-Bukhari no2 5892]

and

"Expand your beards..."

[Muslim no.259]

- and this proves that it is not permitted to remove anything from it; however, acts of disobedience differ, so shaving is worse than removing part of it, because it is a greater sin and clearer violation than removing a part of it.

Ibn Uthaimin (May Allah have mercy on him)

Source - Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 8, Rulings Regarding the Beard, pg. 233

Walaykum Salaam wa'Rahmatullaah.

Jazakallah khayr brother I agree The best thing is to leave it and let it grow from the first time you see the facial hear on you (from an early age). Is it not good to level it wont work.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
thank you brother Ditta for that beautiful reply JazakAllah khair

Just a question, So based on this satement below

Does that mean i can shave my hair on the neck ?? i just want to confirm

Assalaamu'Alaykum,

Insha'Allaah, refer below which makes it clear,

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/69749

EDIT - The document that brother daywalker attached in the other thread (I should have looked there first) answers everything, Alhamdu'lillaah.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5745&d=1240160159

Walaykum Salaam.

malam

I would like to add that along with growing a beard, make sure that you keep it tidy. That is not to say that you need to be trimming it regularly, but u should comb it, take care of it just like hair on your scalp, and occasionally apply oils/conditioners to it.

I have seen many people growin beards but not following the rest of the sunnahs regarding it, and they end up looking like untidy cave men.

do remember that cleanliness is a part of religion.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

Insha'Allaah, refer below which makes it clear,

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/69749

EDIT - The document that brother daywalker attached in the other thread (I should have looked there first) answers everything, Alhamdu'lillaah.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5745&d=1240160159

Walaykum Salaam.

thank you brother again,
Yes i know i downloaded the document brother posted have had the time to read it yet i will Inshallah read it :) thank you thou

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
:salam2: Shaheer Bhai. Mashallah, your post makes me smile to hear about how keen you are to keep aq beard, Alhamdulillah; that's what a Muslim needs to do, try his best to become better in his deen, and that's what you intend to do Bhai. :)

As regards to keeping a god beard Bhai, TRUST ME, just leave it. You won't have to worry about anything because if you never shaved before, then your beard hair becomes more thicker and darker as it grows longer, and it's neccesarry to NEVER trim the bottom of the beard (it's better if you don't do it on the sides of the beard), because it starts to lose it's naturalness.

Alhamdulillah that I've been honored by Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla to be around great brothers who try following the Sunnahs of Rasulallah (SAW). A brother who wears a Qamees, a Kufi (atleast a Kufi), and keeps a long beard (like upto his chest atleast) looks beautiful, because it reminds me of the way that the great Mumins from as Salaf as Salih and their Followers.

And remember what Tariq Bhai has said, that all in all, your not keeping a beard because you want to look pretty, :) but just to Please Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla. Actually, keeping a beard helps increase modesty too, because if you have a long beard, other females and gay guys consider you to look ugly.

And so if you keep a good beard, then females who want to flirt with guys won't do that stuff to you, Inshallah, and especially if you wear a Kufi.

But if it's like a gotee or a "trim" cut around the jaws, then you are still prone to having females and gay guys flirting and talking to you.

And if you DO keep a good beard and wear a Kufi, then other females will (Inshallah!) understand that your too religious to talk, laugh, or have them flirt with you.

And Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla knows best.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Mashallah hasib bhai ur post truly made me smile JazakAllah khair, thank you for the great sugguestion and compliments.
Unfortunely -- i have shaven my beard many times, ive been shaving for like 5-7 years cant remember exactly so i have lost the naturalness of the hair :( wish i didn't but what done its done .

thank you for reminding me again LOL how the girls will think im ugly lol i know brother what you meant JazakAllah , i know thats a good thing. Although, i dont think the beard makes me look ugly or something :) i think it puts really nice modesty look and makes you feel really good :) i feel like i can call myself a muslim now.

Thank YOu :) for ur really nice reply
May Allah (swt) bless you with mercy and love - ameen
:wasalam:

:salam2: Shaheer Bhai. Mashallah, your post makes me smile to hear about how keen you are to keep aq beard, Alhamdulillah; that's what a Muslim needs to do, try his best to become better in his deen, and that's what you intend to do Bhai. :)

As regards to keeping a god beard Bhai, TRUST ME, just leave it. You won't have to worry about anything because if you never shaved before, then your beard hair becomes more thicker and darker as it grows longer, and it's neccesarry to NEVER trim the bottom of the beard (it's better if you don't do it on the sides of the beard), because it starts to lose it's naturalness.

Alhamdulillah that I've been honored by Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla to be around great brothers who try following the Sunnahs of Rasulallah (SAW). A brother who wears a Qamees, a Kufi (atleast a Kufi), and keeps a long beard (like upto his chest atleast) looks beautiful, because it reminds me of the way that the great Mumins from as Salaf as Salih and their Followers.

And remember what Tariq Bhai has said, that all in all, your not keeping a beard because you want to look pretty, :) but just to Please Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla. Actually, keeping a beard helps increase modesty too, because if you have a long beard, other females and gay guys consider you to look ugly.

And so if you keep a good beard, then females who want to flirt with guys won't do that stuff to you, Inshallah, and especially if you wear a Kufi.

But if it's like a gotee or a "trim" cut around the jaws, then you are still prone to having females and gay guys flirting and talking to you.

And if you DO keep a good beard and wear a Kufi, then other females will (Inshallah!) understand that your too religious to talk, laugh, or have them flirt with you.

And Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla knows best.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
salam brother hasib.
oh well, what is sister prosperous doing in a "BEARD" post. lol
well, I just got keen to read it since there are two threads started by brother shaheer regarding this matter and it took my attention to KNOW how much brother shaheer is into this.hehe
anyways brother hasib, you are telling tha females think bearded man are UGLY, well that is not the case always. Atleast not my case.
I do not like and they look so "gay" when men shave thier beared like "tiles".
i find men with beard mor Handsome(asthagfirullah, no any intention or temptaions, but just they look more MALE).....and also wemen who search for men with good in them will be more ATTRACTED to males with beard.
so you telling females think bearded men are UGLY is SO NOT TRUE. infact men looks like a MEN when they HAVE A BEARD.
brother shaheer please do not be sad about thinking, FAITHFULL wemen WILL ever think BEARDED men are UGLY.
wassalam

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
JazakALlah khair sister lol :) this post made me smile too.
And you are right a pious women will probably seem a person with a beard cuz it shows that he is a muslim and proud of it :)
I think brother Hasib was somewhat joking :) i really dont think beard makes a person ugly its different but :p im not sure if im heading the ugly direction lol.

JazakAllah khair for both of ur answer brother haseeb and sister properous

and yea sister i had to make 2 post cuz i had alot of questions about it and was not sure but alhumdulilah i think Allah (swt) is more important than anything else.
:wasalam:

salam brother hasib.
oh well, what is sister prosperous doing in a "BEARD" post. lol
well, I just got keen to read it since there are two threads started by brother shaheer regarding this matter and it took my attention to KNOW how much brother shaheer is into this.hehe
anyways brother hasib, you are telling tha females think bearded man are UGLY, well that is not the case always. Atleast not my case.
i find men with beard mor Handsome(asthagfirullah, no any intention or temptaions, but just they look more MALE).....and also wemen who search for men with good in them will be more ATTRACTED to males with beard.
so you telling females think bearded men are UGLY is SO NOT TRUE. infact men looks like a MEN when they HAVE A BEARD.
brother shaheer please do not be sad about thinking, FAITHFULL wemen WILL ever think BEARDED men are UGLY.
wassalam

daywalker

Shaving to increase beard?

This is a myth. Medical experts confirm that shaving hair does NOT make it grow thicker.

http://intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35323/534333.html?d=dmtHMSContent

scroll bit down:

http://www.beards.org/beardfaq.php

more:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-removal/AN00638

http://www.zapahair.com/pages/article_02.html

IbnAhmad

:salam2: brother,
ok I have decided to grow a beard im going to follow the sugguestion of Dr Zakir naik start small then inshallah grow to the size of the fist

salaam

mashaAllah this is such great news :) :)

mubarak!!! :biggrin::biggrin: may allah grant you jannahtul firdows...amiin

wassalam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member

Shaving to increase beard?

This is a myth. Medical experts confirm that shaving hair does NOT make it grow thicker.

http://intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35323/534333.html?d=dmtHMSContent

scroll bit down:

http://www.beards.org/beardfaq.php

more:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-removal/AN00638

http://www.zapahair.com/pages/article_02.html

Assalaamu'Alaykum,

Well that's interesting to hear, but it was better for me anyway that I didn't take their advice about shaving because that would be a sin in of itself.

Jazaaka'Allaahu Khayr.

Walaykum Salaam.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Alykum Warahmatullahe Wabarakaathuh sister Prosperous, how's things been Baji? :) Inshallah, this will make you feel better in your Eman and mood, Inshallah.

wassalam

No no no sister, you misunderstood what I said about "females thinking that bearded men look ugly." When I said this, I was reffering to modern day females, the ones that dress exposing their body, and flirting with males. And when I said that, I meant to Shaheer Bhai that since that's the case, then he won't have to worry about young females with Zeenah (tight revealing clothing) coming up to him to "laugh, talk, and flirt" with him, since having a beard by the Sunnah of Rasulallah (SAW) would make her see him as being ugly.

Ya Baji, I KNOW that Pious and Practicing Muslim Sisters don't consider the beard to be ugly, rather, they find their husbands (who practice Islam and have beards by the Sunnah) as looking lovely and beautiful, because it's a way of the Salaf as Salih and Rasulallah (SAW), and their ways are beautiful to the Mumin who submits fully in Islam with sincerity.

But the reason why I didn't say this to Shaheer Bhai was because I was afraid about what would happen when he starts growing a beard. Because Shaheer Bhai's intention is to do it to be a good Muslim, and follow Rasulallah (SAW). But after some time when he keeps a good beard for some time, he'll feel that it's beautiful, and then THAT is when Iblis comes into play. Iblis will try to convince him to leave his beard and to let it grow, but not to Please Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla; he will convince him to leave his beard to grow, because "it's beautiful, and attracts a *Eye Catching Pious* Sister," and so his intention would change, whether he knows it or not (because many times that happens, when someone does some good deed, and they didn't even realize that their intention wasn't for Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla, which would make the intention wrong).

And the reason why I said about the "ugly" part; it's because that when young females have a crush or are in love with a boy/male, he usually has a fresh shaven face, a fresh-but around the jaws, or has some beard bristles around his face. BUT.....

If Shaheer Bhai keeps a GOOD beard by the Sunnah of Rasulallah (SAW) which is from the collar bones to the heart organ (depending upon how long the brother kept the beard, but the collar bones should be the shortest, because it's more closer to the Sunnah than the beard being to the Atom's Apple), then there's a higher chance that he doesn't have to worry about young Haram females coming to him to "chat," "talk," "or flirt," and he won't have to worry about some gay guys having a crush on him or staring at his face, because the beard that is kept upon the Sunnah of Rasulallah (SAW) UGLIFIES the brother in front the Kuffar and those weak in Eman, and only those who submit in Islam compleletly and sincerely see the beauty of the beard, and likewise, with even the Hijab that our Blessed Sisters wear.

So Inshallah this has cleared your misunderstanding Baji. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla purify us (who submit to him fully and sincerely) from our sins, purify our intentions, and have us be upon the Rightoues Followers of Rasulallah (SAW) and as Salaf as Salih, Ameen Ya Zaal Jalaale Wal Ekraam!