How to weep for fear of Allaah

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
bismallah.gif

How to weep for fear of Allaah

Undoubtedly your feelings of regret for missing out on this blessing is a very good sign. You should note that the Muslim can accustom himself to weep for fear of Allaah, by doing the following:

1 – Making yourself feel fear of Allaah.

This weeping is the fruit of beneficial knowledge, as al-Qurtubi says in his commentary on the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“And they fall down on their faces weeping”

[al-Isra’ 17:109]

This is an eloquent description of them and praise for them. It is the duty of everyone who acquires knowledge to reach this level, so that when he hears the Qur’aan he is filled with fear and humility.

In Musnad al-Daarimi it is narrated from Abu Muhammad that al-Taymi said: Whoever is given knowledge and does not weep, he deserves not to have any knowledge, because Allaah has described those who have knowledge; then he recited this verse.

Al-Jaami’ li Ahkaam il-Qur’aan, 10/341-342.

2 – Reading the Qur’aan and pondering its meanings

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad to them): Believe in it (the Qur’aan) or do not believe (in it). Verily, those who were given knowledge before it, when it is recited to them, fall down on their faces in humble prostration.

108. And they say: Glory be to our Lord! Truly, the Promise of our Lord must be fulfilled.

109. And they fall down on their faces weeping and it increases their humility”

[al-Isra’ 17:107-109]

“Those were they unto whom Allaah bestowed His Grace from among the Prophets, of the offspring of Adam, and of those whom We carried (in the ship) with Nooh (Noah), and of the offspring of Ibraaheem (Abraham) and Israel, and from among those whom We guided and chose. When the Verses of the Most Gracious (Allaah) were recited unto them, they fell down prostrate and weeping”

[Maryam 19:58]

It was narrated that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:
The Prophet :)saw:)(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me: “Recite the Qur’aan to me.” I said: “O Messenger of Allaah :)saw:), shall I recite it to you when it was revealed to you?” He :)saw:) said: “I like to hear it from someone else.” So I recited Soorat al-Nisa’ to him, and when I reached this verse – “How (will it be) then, when We bring from each nation a witness and We bring you (O Muhammad) as a witness against these people?” [al-Nisa’ 4:41] – he :)saw:)said: “That is enough for now.” I turned to him and saw his eyes were streaming with tears.
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5050; Muslim, 800.

3 – Knowing the greatness of the reward for weeping, especially when one is alone.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah :)saw:) said: “A man who weeps for fear of Allaah will not enter Hell until the milk goes back into the udder, and dust produced (when fighting) for the sake of Allaah and the smoke of Hell will never coexist.”
Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1633; al-Nasaa’i, 3108; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.

“until the milk goes back into the udder” is a metaphor for it being impossible, as in the verse where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): and they will not enter Paradise until the camel goes through the eye of the needle”
[al-A’raaf 7:40].
Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi.

And it was narrated that he said: The Messenger of Allaah :)saw:)(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are seven whom Allaah will shade with His shade on the day when there will be no shade but His: a just ruler; a young man who grows up worshipping Allaah; a man whose heart is attached to the mosque; two men who love one another for the sake of Allaah, meeting and parting on that basis; a man who is called (to commit sin) by a woman of high status and great beauty and he says, ‘I fear Allaah’; a man who gives in charity so secretly that his left hand does not know what his right hand is doing; and a man who remembers Allaah when he is alone and his eyes flow with tears.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 660; Muslim, 1031.

Weeping when alone is singled out because being alone is a time when the heart tends to become harder and there is a stronger motive to commit sin, and it is farthest removed from the possibility of showing off. So if a person strives to do this, and makes himself feel the greatness and might of Allaah, and his eyes flow with tears, then he deserves to be beneath the shade of the Throne of the Most Merciful on the Day when there will be no shade but His shade.

4 – Thinking about your situation and your boldness in committing sin, and fearing to meet Allaah in such a state.

One of the righteous people used to weep night and day, and something was said to him about that. He said: “I am afraid that Allaah will see me committing sin and will say: ‘Go away from Me for I am angry with you.’” Hence Sufyaan used to weep and say: “I am afraid that my faith will be taken away at the moment of death.”

Ismaa’eel ibn Zakariya described Habeeb ibn Muhammad, who was a neighbour of his. He said: “Every evening I heard him weeping and every morning I heard him weeping, so I went to his wife and said: ‘What is the matter with him? He weeps in the evening and he weeps in the morning!’ She said to me: ‘By Allaah, when evening comes he fears that he will not live till morning and when morning comes he fears that he will not live till evening.’”

The salaf used to weep and grieve a great deal.

When Yazeed al-Raqaashi was criticized for weeping a great deal and it was said to him, “If the Fire had been created exclusively for you, you would not weep more than this,” he said: “Has the Fire been created for anyone other than me and my companions and brothers among the jinn and mankind?”

When ‘Ata’ al-Sulaymi was asked: “What is this grief?” he said: “Woe to you! Death is close at hand, the grave is my house, on the Day of Resurrection I will stand and my path is over a bridge across Hell, and I do not know what will become of me.”

Faddalah ibn Sayfi used to weep a great deal. A man entered upon him when he was weeping and said to his wife: “What is the matter with him?” She said: “He says that he wants to undertake a long journey and he does not have proper provision for it.”

One night al-Hasan woke up weeping, and he disturbed the other people in the house with his weeping. They asked him what was the matter and he said: “I remembered a sin that I committed and I wept.”

It was narrated that Tameem al-Daari (may Allaah be pleased with him) recited this verse (interpretation of the meaning): Or do those who earn evil deeds think that We shall hold them equal with those who believe (in the Oneness of Allaah Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds” [al-Jaathiyah 45:21] and he started repeating it and weeping until morning came.

Hudhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to weep intensely, and it was said to him: “Why are you weeping?” He said: “I do not know what is ahead of me – Divine pleasure or divine wrath.”

Sa’d ibn al-Akhram said: I was walking with Ibn Mas’ood and he passed by the blacksmiths, who had brought a piece of iron out of the fire. He stood and looked at the molten iron and wept.

5 – Making yourself feel regret and feeling that you have fallen short in your duties towards Allaah.

The tears of the repentant at night quenches thirst and cure sickness, as the Shaykh of the Mufassireen, Abu Ja’far al-Tabari, said in his commentary on the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do you then wonder at this recitation (the Qur’aan)?

60. And you laugh at it and weep not”

[al-Najm 53:59-60]

Do not weep at the warnings contained therein to those who disobey Allaah, when you are people who commit sin, “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)” [al-Najm 53:61] – you are heedless of the lessons and reminders contained therein, turning away from its verses.

Jaami’ al-Bayaan ‘an Ta’weel Aayi al-Qur’aan, 27/82.

6 – Weeping out of fear of a bad end.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: When the Messenger of Allaah :)saw:)(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) passed by al-Hijr (the land of the people of Thamood) he said: “Do not enter the dwellings of those who wronged themselves, lest what befell them befall you, unless you are weeping.” Then the Messenger of Allaah :)saw:)(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) covered his head and walked quickly until he had left the valley.
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3380; Muslim, 2980.

Al-Nawawi included this hadeeth in a chapter entitled “Weeping and feeling fear when passing by the graves of the wrongdoers and the places where they were killed, and expressing one's need of Allaah, and being careful not to be negligent in that.”
Riyaadh al-Saaliheen, p. 373.

7 – Listening to moving speeches and lectures that will soften the heart.

It was narrated that al-‘Irbaad ibn Saariyah (may Allaah be pleased with him), who was one of those who used to weep, said: “The Messenger of Allaah :)saw:) delivered a deeply moving speech at which our eyes began to overflow and our hearts melted.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2676; Abu Dawood, 4607; Ibn Maajah, 42; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.

May Allaah help us and you to do that which our Lord loves and is pleased with him

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

How dearly I needed to read these words. Let us always remember our duty is to Allah subhana talla and only to Him.
I feel as if I were given a spoon full of honey because of this post.
Jazak Allahu Kharin

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salam Brothers/Sisters,

Jazak Allah khair bro of such an informative thread may Allah (SWT) have murcy and forgive ur sins ameen.

Jazak Allah

OsMaN_93

Here to help
well i weep when i need something,especially on test occasions :p
:astag:
jazak Allah khairan for sharing
:salam2:

halah

:salam2::ma:

JazakaAllah khair for sharing,we do in need for such strong and deep posts.

Steve940

Jazakallah khair brother islamicfajr. Reading your posts such as this one was one of the things that attracted me to sticking here at TTI. You have made so many wonderful posts here at TTI that are of true value and benefit and I hope you continue to do so in the future. May Allah bless you and forgive you and admit you into jennah and protect you from the hellfire

Zainudin Jaffar

Strive to be Mukmin
Weeping in fear of Allah

This is a great post!

But I have a few questions to ask if you don't mind answering, please.

What if you can't weep (cry)? Are there any hadiths and stories regarding this?

And what can I do to achieve this weeping in earnest?

I am quite envious for those people who can weep just mentioning Hell or death when I watched some of the videos at youtube ( a few lectures by Yusuf Estes and others or some of the reverts! ).

Well I do cry when I lost someone close, its my mum actually. Allah knows how much I miss her.

Is this a different kind of weeping than those mentioned above? or is it similar when you are in great pain or joy for instance?

And lastly but not least do I get virtues or sin for this? i.e virtues for weeping or sin for not weeping?

I wish Allah can guide me on this matters and grant me weeping in fear of Him. Ameen.

wassalam

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Wa Alaykum Assalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

Dear All..bark Allaah feekum..
..May Allaah Reward All us paradise n All us meet there..

What if you can't weep (cry)? Are there any hadiths and stories regarding this?

And what can I do to achieve this weeping in earnest?

I am quite envious for those people who can weep just mentioning Hell or death when I watched some of the videos at youtube ( a few lectures by Yusuf Estes and others or some of the reverts! ).

Well I do cry when I lost someone close, its my mum actually. Allah knows how much I miss her.

Is this a different kind of weeping than those mentioned above? or is it similar when you are in great pain or joy for instance?

And lastly but not least do I get virtues or sin for this? i.e virtues for weeping or sin for not weeping?

On the authority of Anas, radhiyallahu anhu, who related that he heard Rasulullah :)saw:), sall’allahu alaihi wasallam say, “O people weep, for if you cannot weep then make yourself weep. Indeed the inhabitants of the Hellfire will weep until their tears pour down their cheeks, as if they were streams until the tears are used up and (then) blood will pour down, and the eyes will be covered with ulcers.”
(Al albaani decalred it hasan in saheeh at targheeb wat tarheeb.)

So reflect over the way of Rasulullah :)saw:), sall’allahu alaihi wasallam ordered us to weep or to make ourselves weep. He :)saw:) , sall’allahu alaihi wasallam (also) explained the weeping of the inhabitants of the Hellfire i.e., the tears will pour down their cheeks and faces as if streams until the tears are used up, after which blood will pour forth and cause the eyes to be wounded with ulcers.

What else can you want after this, O slave of Allaah, in order for you to weep! For I swear by Allaah that it is a deep and serious admonition, this admonition is enough to cause you to make Tawbah (repent to Allaah), return to Allaah and weep.

For are you really safe from the scene (described above)?!

Are you guaranteed salvation and Paradise? So weep and shed tears now for which you will be rewarded in your (life of the) world, before you weep blood, for which you will not be rewarded in the Hereafter.

If you do not weep or even try to weep, then know that your eemaan (faith) is weak and the world has overtaken you, and you are in great danger. So flee to Allaah, grab hold of life before death and rush to sincere repentance, true inaabah (returning to Allaah) and righteous actions.

On the authority of Ibn Abee Mulaykah, who said: “We were sitting with ‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Amr, radhiyallahu anhu, on a rock. He said, “Weep and if you cannot weep, then make yourself weep. If only you knew, you would pray until your back broke and weep until you lost your voice.”

Excerpt from, al bukaa’u min khashyatillaah (Weeping from the Fear of Allaah) by Husayn al 'awaayishah

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

al-Imaam Maalik (may Allaah have Mercy on him) said:

"I have seen Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir - and he was the leader of the Reciters of the Qur'aan - that he would never be asked about a hadeeth except that he would weep, until we had calmed him down.

And I have seen Ja'far ibn Muhammad who used to smile alot, yet whenever the Prophet :)saw:) sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam was mentioned to him, he would turn pale. I have never seen him narrating the hadeeth of Allaah's Messenger :)saw:) sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam except in a state of purification. And when times deteriorated, I never saw him except in one of three conditions: either praying, observing silence, or reciting the Qur'aan. He never uttered a word having no significance, and he was one of the scholars and worshippers who had great fear of Allaah.

Whenever 'Abdur-Rahmaan ibn al-Qaasim mentioned the Prophet :)saw:) sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, he turned pale as if the blood had been drained from his face, and his tongue dried-up due to reverence for Allaah's Messenger :)saw:) sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam.

I went to 'Aamir ibn 'Abdullaah ibn az-Zubayr, and whenever the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam was mentioned to him, he would weep so much, until he was unable to weep any longer.

I saw az-Zuhree - and he was from the kindest of people, and closest to them - that when the Prophet :)saw:) sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam was mentioned to him, he would not be able to recognise you, nor would you be able to recognise him (from his intense weeping).

I came to Safwaan ibn Sulaym - and he was one of the mujtahid scholars and worshippers - that whenever he mentioned the Prophet :)saw:) sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam he would weep, and he would not stop weeping, to the extent that the people would have to get up and leave him."

[narrated by Ibn Taymiyyah in 'Kitaab al-Waseelah' , pg. 92]
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The Weeping of the Messenger of Allaah :)saw:)

Ibn al Qayyim said in Zaad al Ma'aad: "As for the weeping of the Prophet :)saw:) it was in the same degree as his laughter. He wouldn't sob loudly and raise his voice, just like his laughter wasn't loud. However his eyes would fill up with tears, until they flowed out, and you would hear the sound like that of a whistling kettle coming from his chest. He would weep out of mercy for the dead, out of fear and compassion for his ummah, out of deep fear of Allah, upon listening to the Qur'an. And it was a weeping of longing, love and exaltation, accompanied by fear and khashyah".

On the authority of 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (ra) who said: "The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) told me: "Recite to me!" So I recited Surah an-Nisa' until I reached:

"How will it be then, when We bring from each nation a witness, and bring you (O Prophet Muhammad) as a witness against these people?" (4:41)

Then I looked towards him and behold! I saw that his eyes were overflowing with tears"

(al Bukhari, Muslim and others)

On the authority of 'Ali (ra) who said, "We did not have a horseman with us on the day of Badr except al-Miqdad. Everyone amongst us was sleeping except for the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) who was under a tree, praying and weeping until the morning." (Ibn Khuzayman in his Saheeh.)

On the authority of 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr (ra) who said: "One day during the lifetime of the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) the sun eclipsed, so he stood and prayed, until it seemed as though he wouldn't go into rukoo, then he went into rukoo (for such a long time) that it seemed as if he wouldnt raise his head, then he raised his head. He remained (in that position) and it seemed as if he wouldn't go into sujood, then he made sajdah, and (he remained in that position) until it seemed as if he wouldn't raise his head, then he raised his head and it seemed as if he wouldn't go into sujood again, then he made sajdah, until it seemed as if he wouldn't raise his head again. Then he began to breathe heavily and weep, saying, "Lord, didn't You promise me that You wouldn't punish them while I am amongst them? Lord didnt You promise me that You wouldn't punish them whilst they seek forgiveness from you, and we seek forgiveness from you?". When he had finished praying two rak'ah, the sun eclipse had cleared and he :)saw:) got up and praised and glorified ALlah and then he said: "The sun and the moon are two signs from among the signs of Allah, they do not eclipse because of the death or life of anyone. So if you see them eclipse, then hasten to the remembrance of Allah"
(an-Nasa'i, Abu Dawud)

On the authority of al-Baraa ibn 'Aazib (ra) who said "While we were with the Messenger of Allah (saw) he suddenly looked towards a group (of people) and said: "For what reason have they gathered here?" It was said, "In order to dig a grave". So the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) became alarmed and startled and he quickly went ahead of the Companions until he reached the grave, then he knelt upon it and I turned my face towards him :)saw:) in order to see what he was doing. He :)saw:) cried until the earth became wet with his tears, then he turned to us and said, "O my brothers! Prepare for a day like this""
(al Bukhari in at-Tarikh, Ibn Majah, Ahmad and others, hasan)

On the authority of 'Abdullah ibn ash-Shikh-kheer (ra) who said: "I saw the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) praying with us, and I heard the sound of his weeping coming out of his chest, which was like the sound of a boiling pot". (Abu Dawud, an Nasa'i, at-Tirmidhi in ash-Shamaa'il, Ibn Hajar in al-Fath, strong chain of narration, declared authentic by Ibn Khuzaymah, Ibn Hibbah and al-Hakim).

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
WEEPING FROM FEAR OF ALLAAH
Based on the book
al-Bukaa'u min Khashyatillaah by Shaykh Husayn al-'Awaayishah

(1) An explanation of this noble verse has been mentioned in a hadith related by Abu Sa'eed (ra) who said that the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said: "A prophet will come and with him will be two men, and (another) prophet will come and with him will be three men, and more and less than that. It will be said to him: "Did you convey (the message) to your nation?" he will reply: "Yes" then his nation will be called, and it will be said to them: "Was the message conveyed to you?" and they will reply: "No". So it will be said (to that prophet) "Who will testify for you?" He will reply, "Muhammad :)saw:) and his nation". So the nation of Muhammad :)saw:) will be called and it wil be said to them: "Were you informed of this?" and they will reply: "Yes". So it will be asked: "How did you come to know about that?" and they will reply: "Our Prophet :)saw:) informed us that the messengers (before him) had conveyed the message, and we believe him". He (Abu Sa'eed) said: "So that is what Allah (the Most High) means when He says in the Qur'an:

"..and thus We have made you (Muslims, real believers) a just nation that you be witnesses over mankind, and the Messenger (Prophet Muhammad) be a witness over you..." (2:143)

(Ibn Majah, Ahmad, and al Bukhari)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ayat That Made The Prophet Cry

*notes from the lecture of Sh. Tariq Abdurahman Al-hawaas*

The Prophet :)saw:) (peace be on him) is reported to have said: "Surely the Quran has been sent down with sorrow. So when you read it, make yourself sorrowful"…and He :)saw:) said: "Read the Quran and weep. If you do not weep spontaneously make yourself weep"

Dear brothers and sisters, tears will not take long to run down our cheeks once we reflect and think about what Allah (azza wa jal) is saying. Know may Allah forgive you, that only with an inattentive heart, or a dead heart, will the eyes remain dry.

Allah (swt) says in surat Al-Israa
“They fall down upon their faces, weeping.” (17:109)

Why? because of joy on finding the truth, on realizing His infinite mercy and in surat Al-Maidah He (swt) says"You see their eyes overflow with tears because of what they have recognized of the truth." (5:83)

That was the relationship of our beloved Prophet :)saw:) and His companions with the words of Allah. Hudhayfah said: “ I prayed with the Messenger of Allaah peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) one night… he was reciting at length. If he recited an aayah that mentioned tasbeeh, he would say Subhaan Allaah; if it mentioned a question, he would ask a question; if it mentioned seeking refuge with Allaah, he would seek refuge with Allaah.” When His blessed Companions (May Allah be pleased with them all) heard Allah (swt) call … “Oh you who believe..” they didn’t not think that Allah was addressing some distant Muslims somewhere…they paid attention and responded “we hear and we obey”…

Dear brothers and sisters let us look at some of the ayat which made Him (saws) cry…

1. "Those who remember Allah (always, and in prayers) standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and think deeply about the creation of the heavens and the earth, (saying): "Our Lord! You have not created (all) this without purpose, glory to You! (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners). Give us salvation from the torment of the Fire." [Al-Imran 2:191]

‘Ataa’ said: “ ‘Ubayd ibn ‘Umayr and I entered upon ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) and Ibn ‘Umayr said to her, ‘Tell us of the most amazing thing you saw on the part of the Messenger of Allaah :)saw:) . She wept and said, ‘He got up one night and said, “O ‘Aa’ishah, leave me to worship my Lord.” I said, “By Allaah, I love to be close to you, and I love what makes you happy.” So he got up and purified himself, then he stood and prayed. He kept weeping until his lap got wet, then he wept and kept weeping until the floor got wet. Bilaal came to tell him that it was time to pray, and when he saw him weeping, he said, “O Messenger of Allaah :)saw:), you are weeping when Allaah has forgiven you all your past and future sins?” He said, “Should I not be a grateful slave? Tonight some aayaat have been revealed to me; woe to the one who recites them and does not think about what is in them (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth…”

May Allah have mercy upon you, Know that reflecting is a command of Allah, and is a great Ibaadah, that will inshAllah increase the taqwaa of Allah in our hearts…Allah(swt) says in surat Al-ghashiya verse 17-20 Do they not look at the camels, how they are created? And at the heaven, how it is raised? And at the mountains, how they are rooted and fixed firm? And at the earth, how it is spread out?”

2. “But how ( will it be with them ) when we bring of every people a witness , and We bring thee ( O Muhammad ) a witness against these?”[Al-Nisaa 4:41]

Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet :)saw:) said to me, "Recite the Qur'an to me.'' I said: "O Messenger of Allah :)saw:)! Shall I recite it to you when it was revealed to you?'' He :)saw:) said, "I like to hear it from others.'' Then I began to recite Surat An-Nisa'. When I reached the Ayah: `How will it be when We shall bring a witness from every people and bring you as a witness against them?' (Having heard it) he said, "Enough! Enough!'' When I looked at him, I found his eyes were overflowing with tears. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

3.“You punish them, they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them, verily You, only You are the Almighty, If the All Wise.”
[Al-Maidah 5:118]

`Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`as (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Prophet :)saw:) recited the Words of Allah, the Exalted, and the Glorious, about Ibrahim (PBUH) who said: "O my Rubb! They have led astray many among mankind. But whosoever follows me, he verily, is of me". (14:36) and those of `Isa (Jesus) (PBUH) who said: "If You punish them, they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them, verily, You, only You, are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise". (5:118). Then he :)saw:) raised up his hands and said, "O Allah! My Ummah, my Ummah,'' and wept; Allah, the Exalted, said: "O Jibril (Gabriel)! Go to Muhammad :)saw:) and ask him:`What makes you weep?" So Jibril came to him and asked him (the reason of his weeping) and the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) informed him what he had said (though Allah knew it well). Upon this Allah said: "Jibril, go to Muhammad :)saw:) and say: `Verily, We will please you with regard to your Ummah and will never displease you".
[Muslim].

SubhanAllah… He :)saw:) spent every moment worried bout this ummah… It is in the Sunan of Al-Nasai, that He :)saw:) spent an entire night reciting this ayah and weeping, out of fear for this ummah… subhanAllah… and Today stray from his sunnah, we are ashamed to follow his commands :)saw:)… SubhanAllah on his death bed He :)saw:) kept asking Aisha “did the people pray?” … why? Because salah is the first act we will be asked about …. May Allah’s peace and Blessings be upon yu oh best of creation !

What shall we say to him :)saw:) when we meet him? ….The prophet :)saw:) says: "I will be there at the Basin before you. And men known to me shall come forth, to whom I shall be denied access. I call out to them, "My Companions!" They will answer, `Little do you know what they have concocted after you!' I reply, "Away with all those who changed after me!"

Oh Allah, do not make us of those turned away from, Oh Allah quench our thirst from his blessed Basin… Ameen

4. “It is not for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war (and free them with ransom) until he had made a great slaughter (among his enemies) in the land. You desire the good of this world (i.e. the money of ransom for freeing the captives), but Allah desires (for you) the Hereafter. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise. “ [Al-Anfal 8:67]

After the trimph of Badr the Rasoul :)saw:) took the advice of Abu Bakr (ra) to ransom the prisoners, Then the next day Umar (ra) found the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) and Abu Bakr sittin in the shade of a tree crying, so he said: “what makes you cry? If it is wroth crying over I shall cry with you, and if not I shall make myself cry!”…So the Rasoul :)saw:) recited to him the ayah, and said I saw the punishment of Allah as close as that tree (pointed to a near by tree)…

SubhanAllah if the Prophet Allah :)saw:) was fearful of the punishment of Allah, who are we to feel secure and safe...
Allah (swt) said: " Did they then feel secure against the Plan of Allah? But none can feel secure against the Plan of Allah except those who are lost" (7:99)

5. And warn your tribe (O Muhammad) of near kindred.

When This Ayah was revealed to Him :)saw:) he cried, and gathered his tribe …called out “oh sons of Abdu Manaf Save yourselves from the hell fire, Oh sons of Abdul mutalib save yourselves from the fire, oh fatimah daughter of Muhammed save yourself from the fire”…

6.“Do you then wonder at this recital (the Qur’an)? And laugh at it and weep not” [Al-Najm 59]

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said, "One who weeps out of fear of Allah, will not enter the Hell till milk returns back in the udder; and the dust raised on account of fighting in the path of Allah and the smoke of Hell will never exist together".

Finally, May Allah have mercy upon you… CRY… follow in the footsteps of your beloved and cry... Make yourself cry...

May Allah have mercy upon you, remember the hadith of Abu Juhayfa, Radhi Allahu 'Anhu, where he says: 'The people said: "Yaa Rasulallah:)saw:), (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam)! we see the signs of old age beginning to show on you?" Rasulullah :)saw:)(Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) replied: "Surah Hud and similar surahs have made me old." In another narration he :)saw:) specified surat hud, Al-waaqiah, Mursalat, Amma, and Qariah.

Rememeber that abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said, "No man, who wept out of fear of Allah, will enter the Fire until the milk returns to the breast. Dust raised in the way of Allah and the smoke of Jahannam will never be joined together."

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
I wish Allah can guide me on this matters and grant me weeping in fear of Him. Ameen

Ameen. Ya Rab.
>>>>>>>>.......

One of the righteous people used to weep night and day, and something was said to him about that. He said: “I am afraid that Allaah will see me committing sin and will say: ‘Go away from Me for I am angry with you." Hence Sufyaan used to weep and say: “I am afraid that my faith will be taken away at the moment of death.”

Ismaa’eel ibn Zakariya described Habeeb ibn Muhammad, who was a neighbour of his. He said: “Every evening I heard him weeping and every morning I heard him weeping, so I went to his wife and said: ‘What is the matter with him? He weeps in the evening and he weeps in the morning!’ She said to me: ‘By Allaah, when evening comes he fears that he will not live till morning and when morning comes he fears that he will not live till evening.’”

When Yazeed al-Raqaashi was criticised for weeping a great deal and it was said to him, “If the Fire had been created exclusively for you, you would not weep more than this,” he said: “Has the Fire been created for anyone other than me and my companions and brothers among the jinn and mankind?”

When ‘Ata’ al-Sulaymi was asked: “What is this grief?” he said: “Woe to you! Death is close at hand, the grave is my house, on the Day of Resurrection I will stand and my path is over a bridge across Hell, and I do not know what will become of me.”

Faddalah ibn Sayfi used to weep a great deal. A man entered upon him when he was weeping and said to his wife: “What is the matter with him?” She said: “He says that he wants to undertake a long journey and he does not have proper provision for it.”

One night al-Hasan woke up weeping, and he disturbed the other people in the house with his weeping. They asked him what was the matter and he said: “I remembered a sin that I committed and I wept.”

It was narrated that Tameem al-Daari (may Allaah be pleased with him) recited this verse interpretation of the meaning): “Or do those who earn evil deeds think that We shall hold them equal with those who believe (in the Oneness of Allaah Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds”
[Surah al-Jaathiyah 45:21]

and he started repeating it and weeping until morning came.

Hudhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to weep intensely, and it was said to him: “Why are you weeping?” He said: “I do not know what is ahead of me – Divine pleasure or divine wrath.”

Sa’d ibn al-Akhram said: I was walking with Ibn Mas’ood and he passed by the blacksmiths, who had brought a piece of iron out of the fire. He stood and looked at the molten iron and wept.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The Weeping of the Companions (ra)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On the authority of al-'Irbaad ibn Saariyah (ra) who said: "The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) gave us a profound admonition which caused our hearts to tremble and our eyes to shed tears." (Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)

On the authority of Anas (ra) who said "The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) gave us a sermon, the like of which we had never heard before. He :)saw:) said "If you knew what I know you would laugh little and weep much!". Thereupon the Companions of the Prophet :)saw:) covered their faces, weeping and sniffing ". (Bukhari and Muslim)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The Weeping of Abu Bakr (ra)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Abu Bakr's recitation in prayer could not be heard due to his excessive weeping, as we have been informed by 'Aisha (ra) who said: "During his illness the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said: "Order Abu Bakr to lead the prayer". 'Aisha said, "I told the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) that indeed, if Abu Bakr stands in your place (to lead the people in prayer) the people will not be able to hear him due to his (excessive) weeping. So order 'Umar to lead the prayer." The Prophet :)saw:) said again: "Order Abu Bakr to lead the prayer". Then 'Aisha told Hafsah: "Tell the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) that if Abu Bakr stands in your place, the people will not be able to hear him due to his weeping, so order 'Umar to lead the people in prayer". So Hafsah did this and the Prophet :)saw:) replied: "Desist! Verily you are like the companions of Yusuf (2). Order Abu Bakr to lead the prayer."" (al Bukhari)

"Indeed Abu Bakr is a man of tender feelings, if he takes your place he will not be able to lead the people in prayer". (al Bukhari)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The Weeping of Umar (ra)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The weeping of 'Umar (ra) could be heard from the last rows, as it has been reported to us by 'Abdullah ibn Shaddaad, who said, "I heard the sobbing of 'Umar from the last rows while he was reciting the verse from the Qur'an: "I only complain of my grief and sorrow to Allah". (12:86) (al Bukhari, al Bayhaqi (2/251), saheeh)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The Weeping of 'Uthman ibn 'Affan (ra)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On the authority of Haani, the freed slave of 'Uthman, who said "When 'Uthman ibn 'Affan stood at a grave he wouls weep until his beard was wet. So it was said to him: "Indeed you make mention of Paradise and Hellfire and you do not weep, and you are weeping at this?". He replied, "Indeed the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said, "Verily the grave is the first abode of the Hereafter, if one is saved from it then what follows is made easier for him. And if one is not saved from it, then what follows is more severe". He also :)saw:) said, "I have never seen a sight more horrid than the grave"" (at-Tirmidhi -ghareeb, Ibn Majah)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The Weeping of 'Aisha (ra)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ibn al-Haarith the nephew of 'Aisha (ra) the wife of the Prophet :)saw:) narrated that she was told that 'Abdullah ibn az-Zubayr (on hearing that she was selling of giving a gift) said: "By Allah, if 'Aisha does not give this up, I will make hijrah (ie boycott) from her." She asked, "Did he say this?". They replied, "Yes". Then 'Aisha said, "I vow to Allah that I will never speak to Ibn az-Zubayr." When this desertion was prolonged, 'Abdullah ibn az-Zubayr sought intercession with the people converning her but she said, "By Allah I will not accept the intercesson of anyone on his behalf and will not commit a sin by breaking my vow". When this state of affairs was prolonged on Ibn az-Zubayr (ie he felt it hard on himself), he spoke to al-Miswar bin Makhramah and 'Abdur Rahman bin al-Aswad bin 'Abd Yaghooth, who were from the tribe of Bani Zuhrah, saying "I beseech you by Allah to (help) me to enter upon 'Aisha, for it is unlawful for her to vow to cut off relations with me ". So al-Miswar and 'Abdur Rahman went with him wrapping their cloaks around themselves, they went to 'Aisha and asked her permission (to enter) saying "Assalaamu alayki wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu! May we come in?" ' 'Aisha responded "Come in". They asked, "All of us?". She replied "Yes, come in, all of you" unaware that Ibn az-Zubayr was also with them. So when they entered, Ibn az-Zubayr entered the place which screened 'Aisha from the other men and embraced 'Aisha and started requesting her to excuse him and wept. al-Miswar and 'Abdur Rahman also started urging her to speak to him and to accept his apology. They said to her: "You know what the Prophet :)saw:) forbade regarding deserting (not speaking to your Muslim brethren), for it is unlawful for any Muslim not to talk to his brother for more than three nights". So when they increased in reminding her (of the superiority of having good relations with kith and kin, and of excusing others sins) and of the unhappy and unpleasant constrictions that are a consequence of breaking the ties of relationship, she started reminding them while she wept saying, "I have made a vow, and (the issue of a) vow is a different one". They persisted in their appeal until she spoke to 'Abdullah ibn az-Zubayr and she freed forty slaves as an expiation for her vow. Later on whenever she remembered her vow, she would weep so profusely that her veil would become wet with her tears". (al Bukhari)

The Weeping of Umm Ayman (ra) and Her Stirring of Abu Bakr and 'Umar to Weep
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On the authority of Anas who said: "Abu Bakr said to 'Umar, after the death of the Messenger of Allah :)saw:), "Let us go and visit Umm Ayman (the nursemaid/servant of the Prophet saw during his childhood), as the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) used to visit her." When they finished visiting her (and were about to leave) she began to cry. So they asked her: "What is it that makes you cry? Is not that which is with Allah better for the Messenger of Allah :)saw:)?" So she replied, "I am not crying because I am unaware that that which is with Allah is better for the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) but I am crying because the revelation from the heavens has stopped." This moved them to tears, so they both began to weep with her." (Muslim)

The Weeping of 'Abdur Rahman ibn 'Auf (ra)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On the authority on Sa'd ibn Ibrahim, that his father said, "'Abdur Rahman ibn 'Auf was brought some food when he had been fasting, and he remarked: "Mus'ab ibn 'Umayr has been martyred, and he was better than me. His shroud was so short, that if his head was covered (with it) then his legs showed, and if his legs were covered, then his head showed, and I witnessed this." He also said, "Hamzah was martyred and he was better than me. And now the world has been spread out for us." Or he said: "We have been given the abundance of the world, and we fear that we have been rewarded for our good deeds here (quickly in this world only)". Then he began to cry, such that he left his food" (al Bukhari)

The Weeping of Salman al-Farsi (ra)

On the authority of Anas (ra) who said, "Salman was suffering from illness, so Sa'd visited him and saw him crying, so he said to him, "What is it that makes you weep, O my brother? Did you not accompany the Messenger of Allah :)saw:)? Is that not so, is that not so?!" Salman replied, "I am not weeping for either of the following reasons: I am not weeping for the sake of the world nor out of hate of the Hereafter. Rather the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) entrusted me with a pledge, and I can only see myself as having transgressed." So he asked, "What were you entrusted with?" He replied, "He entrusted me with a pledge that the provision of a traveller should suffice anyone of us, and I see myself as only having transgressed. And as for you, O Sa'd! Fear Allah with your ruling when you make a judgement, and fear Him with your distribution when you distribute, and fear Him with your intention when you intend to do something."" (Ibn Majah and others)

Thaabit said: "I heard that he only left twenty dirhams from the money that he had (after his death)" (Saheeh Sunan Ibn Majah)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The Weeping of Abu Hashim ibn 'Utbah (ra)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On the authority of Samurah bin Sahm, who said "I went to Abu Hashim ibn 'Utbah and he had a knife wound. So Mua'wiyah came to visit him, and Abu Hashim was crying. So Mua'wiyah asked: "What is it that makes you cry, O Uncle?! Is it the pain or is it for the world (that you are crying)?" He replied, "Neither, but the Messenger of Allah entrusted me with a trust and I wish that I had carried it out." He said, "Verily you may attain some of the wealth which will be divided between the people. Indeed, sufficient for you is: a servant and a riding animal for the sake of Allah." So I did attain this wealth and accumulated it (ie he acquired more than what the Prophet :)saw:) advised him to suffice himself with)." (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, an-Nasa'i, Ibn Majah)
WEEPING FROM FEAR OF ALLAAH
Based on the book
al-Bukaa'u min Khashyatillaah by Shaykh Husayn al-'Awaayishah

(1) The sound of weeping without sobbing. The Arabic word used is khaneen, meaning a sound which issues from the nose (an Nihayah). Al Haafidh says in al-Fath, It is reported as Haneen with a "h" by msot of those who related Saheeh al Bukhari and al-Kashmihani related it as khaneen; the first refers to the sound that emanates from weeping of the chest and the second, from the nose.

(2) al Haafidh said in al-Fath: "The similarity between 'Aisha and the people of Yusuf was that the wife of the 'Aziz had invited some of the women (of her town) to honour them with a royal feast but her real motive was that she wanted to exhibit the beauty of Yusuf (as) to them. And 'Aisha's apparent motive for requesting the Prophet :)saw:) to spare her father from the responsibility of leading the people in prayer was that (due to his being a very sensitive man) the faithful would not be able to hear his recitation due to his weeping (whilst reciting). However the more complete meaning here is (her real motive is that she feared) that other people might see a bad omen in him (in case of the death of the Prophet saw). It is reported by al-Bukhari, on the authority of 'Aisha who said, "I persisted in my request to the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) with regards to this as much as I could. Because it never entered my heart that the people could ever love a man who took the Messenger of Alllah's place, so I wanted the Messenger of Allah to change his mind about Abu Bakr" (also in Muslim).

(3) al-Haafidh said "Because he was her nephew and she was mainly responsible for his upbringing".
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The Path Towards Weeping Out of Fear of Allaah:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Taqwa of Allah
:::::::::::::::::
Dilligently working hard to achieve it, and being sincere in it

Allah, the Most High, says in the Qur'an

"Fear Allah and Allah teaches you". (2:282)

It has been mentioned in Ruh al-Ma'aani, "Fear Allah" in what he has ordered you to do and in what he has forbidden you from. And "Allah teaches you" his laws, which contain your best interests. And weeping is from that.

Allah, the Most High, says

"As for those who strive hard in Us (our cause), We will surely guide them to our paths". (29:69)

And weeping is also from that.

On the authority of Anas (ra) on the authority of the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) who said "Three types of people will taste the sweetness of iman; the one to whom Allah and His Messenger are more beloved than anything else; the one who loves another person purely for the sake of Allah; and the one who hates to return to disbelief after Allah has rescued him from it, just as he would hate to be thrown into the fire". And weeping is included in this sweetness. (Bukhari and Muslim)

Knowledge
::::::::::::::::

"It is only those who have knowledge amongst His slaves that fear Allah" (35:28)

Allah, the Most High, also says in the Qur'an

"Say: Believe in it (ie the Qur'an) or do not believe (in it). Verily! Those who were given knowledge before it, when it is recited to them, fall down on their faces in humble prostration, and they say: "Glory be to our Lord! Truly the promise of our Lord must be fulfilled. And they fall down on their faces weeping, and it adds to their humility". (17:107-9)

'Abdul A'laa al-Taymee, said with regard to these noble verse: "Whoever is given knowledge that doesn't make him weep, then clearly he has not been given knowledge that benefits, because Allah, the Most High, has described the knowledgeable by saying: (17:107)".

Allah, the Most High, says in the Qur'an:

"And those who have been given knowledge know that it (the Qur'an) is the truth from your Lord, and that they may believe therein, and their hearts may submit to it with humility. And verily Allah is the guide of those who believe in the Straight Path" (22:54)

On the authority of Abu Dharr (ra) who said that the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said, "I can see what you do not see, and I can hear what you do not hear. Indeed the sky groans (the large no.s of angels in the sky make it heavy so that it groans) and it has a right to do so. There is not an area equal to that of four fingers, except that an angel is prostrating to Allah therein. By Allah! If you knew what I know you would laugh little and weep much, and you would not enjoy your wives in bed. But rather you would come out onto the hills, supplicating and praying fervently to Allah"
(Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, hasan)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Remembrance of Death
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

There is no doubt that death ends the delights and pleasures of this life, just as the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) has told us: "Increase in your remembrance of the destroyer of all pleasures: ie death. For verily one who remembers it when enduring the hardships of life, it widens for him (ie he no longer feels overburdened with the hardships he is experiencing). Whenever one remembers it at times of opulence, it will cause him to feel restricted and burdened (ie he will not be too involved with this life and will start to reflect on the serious and heavy matters awaiting him)."
(an-Nasa'i, at-Tirmidhi - hasan ghareeb, Ibn Majah)

The pleasures are what prevent a tear to be shed, nor any sadness and grief to be felt in the heart. So increase in your remembracnce of death, in an attempt to feel the terrors and horrors that will follow it, fearing an evil destination, so that you may succeed with weeping out of fear of Allah. Indeed this is easy for the one whom Allah wishes to make it easy for.

On the authority of Ibn 'Umar (ra) who said "I was with the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) when a man from the Ansar came up to the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) and greeted him with the salaam and then said: "O Messenger of Allah :)saw:) which of the believers are the best?" He replied "Those who are the best in character". Then he asked "Which of the believers are the most intelligent?" He :)saw:) replied: "Those who remember death the most and those who are best prepared for what comes after it (death). These are the intelligent ones""

Contemplating and Reflecting over the Terrors which Follow Death
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Contemplation and reflection upon death makes one fear the terrors and horrors which follow, beginning with the terrors of the grave and the barzakh (transitional period in the grave prior to the Day of Judgement). Do not think that death is far off, since the Messengerof Allah :)saw:) has warned us from thinking in this way. He :)saw:) said "Paradise is closer to anyone of you than your shoe lace as is the Hellfire". (Bukhari) There are many texts concerning this, and I will be mentioning a few of them as exhortation and remembrance.

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (ra) who said "We were sitting with the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) when we heard a loud thud. The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) asked: "Do you know what that was?". We replied "Allah and His Messenger :)saw:) know best". He then told us: "That was a stone which was thrown into the Hellfire seventy years ago, it was sinking further into the Fire and has just reached the bottom."" (Muslim)

The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said: "Verily the eyes of the Companion of the horn (blown into when the Day of Judgement is to be established, reported by Ibn al Mubarak in az-Zuhd and at-Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud and others) ever since he was appointed with it are fixed, gazing towards the Throne (of Allah) not looking away fearing that he will be ordered to blow the horn before his eyes fall back on the throne and his eyes are like two brilliant stars" (al Haakim and others)

In another narration "How can I lead a life of ease when the angel of the horn has put it to his lips and raised his forehead anticipating to hear the call, so when he is ordered to blow he will blow" So the Muslims said: "What should we say (supplicate) O Messenger of Allah :)saw:)?" He replied:"Say Sufficient is Allah for us and He is the best of Guardians, we put our trust in Allah, our Lord" - and perhaps Sufyan said: "upon Allah we put our trust".

How could he (the Prophet :saw:) take pleasure and he had the lawful things in mind! How is it then, for the one who commits offences and sins, while the angel of the horn has already put the horn to his lips, anticipating to hear the call, such that when he is ordered, he will blow".

On the authority of Anas ibn Malik (ra) who related that the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said "Weeping will be sent to the inhabitants of the Hellfire whereby they wil be made to weep until their tears have been used up, then they will weep tears of blood until it (the blood) leaves trenches in their faces and if ships were placed therein, they would sail" (Ibn Majah)

On the authority of 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr (ra) that the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said: "Indeed the inhabitants of the Hellfire will call upon Maalik (an angel) and he will not answer (their call) for forty years, and then he will say: "Verily you are dwellers here". Then they will call upon their Lord saying "O Our Lord, take us out from here, for if we return (to committing sins) then verily we are transgressors." Allah will not respond to their call for a span equivalent to the time span of this world, and then the Most High will say: "Away with them to the Hellfire, and do not speak." Then the people will give up all hope and there will only be (the sound) of moaning, sobbing, and braying. Their voices will be similar to the sounds of donkeys, the first of them braying and the last of them moaning".
(al Mundhiri said in at-Targheed wat-Tarheeb reportd by at-Tabraani in mawquf form.)

Umm Darda on the authority of Abu Darda she said, "I asked him (Abu Darda), "What is it with you, you do not ask for that which such and such a person asks for?" He replied: "Verily I heard the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) say: "Indeed behind you is an insurmountable obstacle, which those with a heavy burden will not be able to pass." So indeed I wish to lighten my load in preparation for that obstacle" (at Tabraani, sahih, also al Mundhiri)

Therefore in order to remember death and contemplate over the horrors which follow death, one must:

Visit the Graves
:::::::::::::::::::::

The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said "I had forbidden you from visiting the graves (before) but now you should visit them" (Muslim). In another narration he :)saw:) said: "Visit the graves for verily it is a reminder of death". (Muslim) In another narration he :)saw:) said:"Visiting (the graves) will increase you in good" (Ahmad, sahih).

In a narration of Abu Sa'id al-Khudri (ra), who said that the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said: "Indeed! I had forbidden you from visiting the graves (before), but now you should visit them for verily there is a lesson and an admonition in this" (Ahmad, al Hakim, sahih upon conditions of Muslim, adh-Dhahabi also declared it sahih)

In a narration by Anas bin Malik (ra) who said that the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said: "I used to forbid you from visiting the graves, but now you should visit them, for indeed the hearts are softened, the eyes are made to shed tears, and it is a remembrance of the hereafter". (Al Haakim, and others, sahih)
Make The Hereafter Your Main Concern

Abdur Rahman ibn 'Uthman ibn 'Affan (ra) reported from his father who said, "Zayd ibnThaabit left Marwan at midday. I said: "Nothing made him (ie Marwan) send for him at this hour except that he wanted to ask about something." I asked him (about this) so he replied: "We were asked about things which we had heard from the Messenger of Allah :)saw:), I had heard the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) say: "Whoever sets this world as his goal, Allah divides his affairs for him, He will place poverty between his eyes, and nothing will come to him from the world except what Allah has written for him. Whoever sets the Hereafter as his goal, Allah gathers his affairs for him, gives him richness of heart and the world will come to him grudgingly and submissively" (Ibn Majah, Ibn Hibban)

On the authority of 'Abdullah who related that he heard the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) say "Whoever makes the Hereafter his sole concern, then Allah will be sufficient for him concerning his affairs and needs in the world, and whoevers concerns (in the world) are divided amongst the affairs of the world, then Allah would have no care in which path he is destroyed".
(Ibn Majah, and others).

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (ra) who said that the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said: "Allah says: O Son of Adam, devote yourself to worshipping Me, and I will fill your bosom with richness and remove your poverty, And if you do not do this then I will fill your bosom with occupation and distraction and I will not remove your poverty".
(at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, Ibn Hibban, sahih).

Reflecting Upon the Magnificent Qur'an
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Allah, the Most High, says in the Qur'an:

"Do they not think deeply in the Qur'an or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)!" (47:24)

Contemplating over the Qur'an is one of the strongest ways of reaching the state of weeping. It is necessary for one to take particular interest over the tafseer of the Qur'an, in continously seek help from the scholars and the people of tafseer as much as one can. Read the Qur'an as if it was revealed to you, as some of the scholars have said.

An example of this has been established by 'Aisha (ra) when she said: "A man sat in front of the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) and said: "O Messenger of Allah :)saw:) verily I have slaves, they lie to me, are disloyal to me and disobey me. When I came to know about this I scold them and beat them. So tell me how have I been with them?" The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) replied: "What they were disloyal to you about, what they disobeyed you in, and what they lied to you about is measured, and the punishment which you inflicted upon them is also measured. If your punishment was equal to their sins, then the scale of balance is equal, it is not for you and nor is it against you. If your punishment to them was not to the extent of their sins (ie less than they deserved) then that is against you". The man then fell back and began to weep and scream. The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said: "Havent you read the verse in the Book of Allah:

"and we shall set up balances on the Day of Resurrection, then none wil be dealt with unjustly in anything..." (21:47)

The man replied; "By Allah, O Messenger of Allah :)saw:) I do not see anything better for me and them than they leave me, I call you to witness that all of them are free". (Sunan at-Tirmidhi)

Ibn 'Uyaynah said "When Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir was close to death he became anxious and worried, so they called Abu Haazim for him. When he arrtived Ibn al-Munkadir said to him: "Indeed Allah says ".. it will become clear to them, from Allah, what they were not anticipating". (39:47) And I am afraid that that which I am not anticipating will appear in front of me." Upon this they both began to weep" (Ibn Abu Hatim)

Being Concerned With Listening to the Humble and Effective Recitation of the Qur'an and Reading More of the Heart-Softening Books (ar-Raqaa`iq)

Amongst these books are az-Zuhd - Ibn al Mubarak; az-Zuhd - Imam Ahmad; at-Tuhfat ul-'Iraaqiyyah fil A'mal il-Qalbiyyah - Ibn Taymiyyah; the works of Ibn al Qayyim al Jawziyyah; Tahdheed Mawi'dhatil Mu'mineen min Ihyaa Ulum ad-Deen - al Qasimi;

Verily this has a great effect in driving away the Shaytaan, softening the heart and shedding tears.

It has been reported that a man complained to Hasan about the hardness of his heart. So he said: "Bring it closer to the remembrance of Allah", and he also said: "The gatherings of dhikr give life to knowledge and bring about khushoo' in the heart. The dead heart is brought to life with the remembrance of Allah, just as the dead earth is brought to life with rain".

Seeking Forgiveness and Taking Account of Oneself
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

There is no doubt that seeking forgiveness from Allah has a great effect in purifying and polishing the heart. As well as increasing the soul in strength and firmness. The more truthful a person is in seeking forgiveness, the more khushoo' one feels, and the more one's heart softens.

To increase in seeking Allah's forgiveness - just as it was the practice of the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) - it is necessary to take account of oneself and remembers one's sins, as Allah says in the Qur'an:

"O you who believe, fear Allah and keep your duty to Him,
And let every person look to what he has sent forth for tomorrow." (59:18)

Allah has ordered us to take account of ourselves, performing righteous actions and prepare for the Day of Gathering.

"I swear by the Day of Resurrection and the self reporaching soul". (75:12)

'Ikrimah said in an explanation of this noble verse; It is to blame oneself in good and evil, whether ou have done that or not". Sa'id ibn Jubayr said: "It is to blame oneself when doing good and evil". Mujahid said "To regret for what has passed and blame oneself for it".
(see Tafseer ibn Kathir)

'Abdullah ibn Mas'ud (ra) said "Verily the believer sees his sins as if he is standing under a mountain, afraid that it will collapse upon him. And verily the evildoer sees his sins as flies passing by his nose and he does this to it. Abu Shihaab (said whilst clarifying the action that Ibn Mas'ud made when he said "he does this to it"): "He moves it the fly away by swiping his hand over his nose". (Bukhari)

It is reported that 'Umar ibn al Khattab (ra) said "Bring yourselves to account before you are brought to account, and weigh your deeds before they are weighed".
(at-Tirmidhi in tamridh form, see Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi, hadith no. 2577)

It is reported that Maymun ibn Mihran said: "A slave is not from the muttaqeen (those who fear Allah) until he brings himself to account more severely and thoroughly than keeping account of his business partner, the two partners bring themselves to account after every action"
(at-Tirmidhi, also in tamridh form see Tuhfat al Ahwadhi hadith no.2577)

Furthermore:"The believer is firm in bringing himself to account for (the sake of Allah). Indeed lighter is the reckoning of a person who brings himself to account in the world; and indeed difficult is the reckoning of the Day of Judgement for a people who did not bring themselves to account (in the world)" (attributed to Hasan)

Beware of minor sins as the Messenger of Allah has said "Verily the example of those who commit minor sins is like a group of people who descended upon a valley. One of them brought a stick, and then another person brought a stick, and then another and another, until they gathered enough for a fire to cook their bread. This is simlar to the idea of minor sins, because the accumulation of small sins will eventually become enough to destroy you (just like the piling of sticks was eventually enough to create a fire)" (Ahmad and others)

Perfecting the Prayer
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

It was reported by Abu Ayyub who said "A man came to the Messenger of Allah :)saw:) and said "Teach me in the briefest words". He :)saw:) replied, "When you stand in prayer, pray as if you are bidding farewell (to this world) and do not utter words for which you will have to seek an excuse, and do not wish for that which the people have".
(Ibn Majkah, Ahmad, Abu Nu'aym in al-Hilyah, hasan)

What an excellent prayer is the prayer of one who prays as if he is leaving the world and its beauties, and in which one remembers death, thereby softening the heart and causing the eyes to weep

Zainudin Jaffar

Strive to be Mukmin
Weeping

Jazakallahu khair Abo Abdul Rahman, may Allah bless you.

If I can't weep now, nothing else can. I have been reading your articles again and again and again to get the meaning of it. I do understand that it relates very much to our emaan especially believing the Unseen.

I don't want to pretend weeping in any way but I have to isolate myself ( in my study room ) and contemplate until I get it "right", you know what I meant.

Subhanallah if I have to squeeze even one miserable drop of tear from these eyes, I'll do it for Allah's sake only. If not, then my eyes are worthless I might say.

"SIGH"........ may Allah truly grant me true emaan. Ameen.

Aisha hussain..

seeking knowledge
this was such a relief to my heart

"Those who have believed and whose hearts have rest in the remembrance of Allah. Verily in the remebrance of Allah do hearts find rest. (13:28)"

jazakAllah khair

Mariyah

Alhumdulillah, very benifitial!!!

I get shivers when hearing the name of our creater Allah SW!!! :tti_sister:

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
Subhanallah!! If we do not benefit from this then there is something wrong with us. May Allah help us and increase us in iman, ameen!!

Jazakallahu Khairan!:hijabi: