Huge tsunami slams Japan, at least 5 dead

Abu Talib

Feeling low
(Reuters) - The biggest earthquake to hit Japan in 140 years struck the northeast coast on Friday, triggering a 10-meter tsunami that swept away everything in its path, including houses, cars and farm buildings on fire.

At least six people were killed, five in Fukushima prefecture north of the capital, Tokyo, where four million homes were without power, and one in eastern Tochigi prefecture, media said. A hotel collapsed in the city of Sendai and people were feared buried in the rubble.

The 8.9 magnitude quake caused many injuries, public broadcaster NHK said, sparked fires and the wall of water, prompting warnings to people to move to higher ground in coastal areas.

The Philippines, Taiwan and Indonesia all issued tsunami alerts, reviving memories of the giant tsunami which struck Asia in 2004. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued alerts for countries to the west and across the Pacfici as far away as Colombia and Peru.

There were several strong aftershocks. In Tokyo, buildings shook violently. An oil refinery near the city was on fire, with dozens of storage tanks under threat.

GREAT KANTO QUAKE

"I was terrified and I'm still frightened," said Hidekatsu Hata, 36, manager of a Chinese noodle restaurant in Tokyo's Akasaka area. "I've never experienced such a big quake before."

Stunning TV footage showed the tsunami carrying the debris and fires across a large swathe of coastal farmland near the city of Sendai, which has a population of one million. The pictures suggested the death toll was going to rise.

Sendai is 300 km (180 miles) northeast of Tokyo and the epicenter at sea was not far away.

NHK showed flames and black smoke billowing from a building in Odaiba, a Tokyo suburb, and bullet trains to the north of the country were halted.

Thick smoke was also pouring out of an industrial area in Yokohama's Isogo area. TV footage showed boats, cars and trucks floating in water after a small tsunami hit the town of Kamaichi in northern Japan. An overpass, location unknown, appeared to have collapsed into the water.

Kyodo news agency said there were reports of fires in Sendai where waves carried cars across the runway at the airport.

The western prefecture of Wakayama ordered 20,000 people to evacuate after further tsunami warnings.

"The building shook for what seemed a long time and many people in the newsroom grabbed their helmets and some got under their desks," Reuters correspondent Linda Sieg said in Tokyo.

"It was probably the worst I have felt since I came to Japan more than 20 years ago."

[yt]o-r5SPvkpdE[/yt]

[yt]wL5D-_xsYcM[/yt]

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

I have friends in that area. Need to check how they are.

:tti_sister: Please make dua for them (and all there too).

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Aboo Hurayrah: The Messenger of Allaah said: "The Hour will not be established until the earthquakes start to increase and become numerous." (Saheeh al-Bukhaaree Kitaab al-Fitan 81/13)

[yt]j3fUqdGXLbM[/yt]

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
The Associated Press is also now citing Japanese nuclear safety agency officials as saying that radiation levels inside one of the reators at the Fukushima-Daini nuclear power plant have surged to 1,000 times their normal levels after the cooling system failed. Pressure inside the reactor has risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

There's been an explosion in the nuclear plants, but they're not sure if it's leaking radiation or not. However, the white smoke coming out of the plant looked very similar to the incident at Chernobyl.

All we can do is :tti_sister:

Abu Talib

Feeling low

There's been an explosion in the nuclear plants, but they're not sure if it's leaking radiation or not. However, the white smoke coming out of the plant looked very similar to the incident at Chernobyl.

All we can do is :tti_sister:

:wasalam:

Some citizens have been quarantined hope its not a meltdown.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Reports say there are two more reactors which have had cooling system failures - Japan has evacuated more than 10,000 people from around the reactors. As if the earthquake and tsunami weren't enough, now there is huge threat of 3 nuclear reactor meltdowns - I pray a major catastrophe is averted, and may Allah have mercy on the people - may it be a means for the non-muslim's eyes to be opened to the truth of Islam. Ameen.

Shak78

Measurements have the Plate movement of up to 8 feet, the normal movement of the plates in the region is between 3-4 cm/year. That is a lot of movement in one incident.

justoneofmillion

:salam2:I wish to extend My depest solidarity and love to the people of Japan.May Allah swt have mercy on them and may the Muslims over there be in the forefront of bravery and help inshallah.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I agree brother, the Japanese are good people who have a history of making success after devastation. May they be blessed and may we assist them.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Horrible news coming out of Japan now - three nuclear reactors have exploded and there is dangerous level of radiation spreading. High chance that the radiation will spread over to the West and lower central parts of the US.

The tragedy keeps getting worse and worse. May Allah ease the pain and suffering and give them ease.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

I am surprised there is not much reaction in this thread - I know there's not much to be said on the topic, but I've been following the Japan situation pretty closely, and it is *very very dangerous* over there right now. Apparently, Fukushima had been keeping spent rods for the past 40 years in that plant, and it's all exposed and out there now.

The flourishing Japan of last week might never be there again. It's like reading about how the Thamud and Ad and the others perished.... O Allah, help the people :tti_sister:

And they say the New Madrid fault line is long over due. There are tons of nuclear plants in that area.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Yes its really getting dangerous as the containment system has failed and this will make the radioactive smoke to escape. They need to maintain water levels at the fuel rod pools if they dry up then the radiation goes up.

The 70 per cent fuel rod damaged is alarming