Hurricane Irene marks 1st big US threat in years

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:, I hope you're all in the best state of health and iman.

Hurricane Irene is due to hit the Northeast tomorrow morning and this is most likely the biggest threat we've had in terms of national disasters.

New York City is in extreme danger as it will be in the eye of the storm. Many of my family and friends as well as those at the masjid are getting ready to evacuate. Lower Manhattan has already been evacuated and those near us have orders to evacuate before 5pm today. The city is preparing for the absolute worst.

My father's convinced that nothing will happen as it's Ramadan but all around us people are stocking up on resources in case we're bombarded and I've managed to convince him to store all our important documents in one bag. He's still convinced that we'll be okay because it's Ramadan but truly only Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala knows what's meant for us.

InshAllah it will be nothing but this is one hurricane that's got the entire Northeast region spooked. Additionally, the earthquake that hit the Northeast (the Pentagon, mind you) just a few days ago is really making the Muslims here nervous. We all know what a series of national disasters can mean :(.

At Jumuah today, Muslims were given sheets of paper with duas and adhkaar to recite during this hurricane.

Please make dua for us. I know that not everyone here is supportive of American activities and international interference in world politics (myself included) but there are good people here and I would like the support of my Muslim brethren.

JazakAllah khair.

Hurricane Irene marks 1st big US threat in years

MIAMI (AP) — Officials and residents from Florida to the Carolinas stocked up on supplies, dusted off evacuation plans and readied for the worst as Irene, the first hurricane to threaten the U.S. in three years, churned over tropical waters after cutting a destructive path through the Caribbean.

Federal officials warned the storm could flood streets and knock down power lines as far north as New England.

Hurricane Irene, which already has raked the Caribbean, could cause serious problems along the entire Eastern Seaboard, Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator Craig Fugate said Tuesday during a conference call with reporters. Fugate urged people not to become complacent, even though the forecast is still uncertain and the storm may be days from hitting the U.S.

"We need to remind people, hurricanes are not just a Southern thing. This could be the Mid-Atlantic and the northeast coast," Fugate said. "We've got a lot of time for people to get ready, but we don't have forever."

Officials on North Carolina's Ocracoke Island — where Irene appeared to be taking dead aim as of Tuesday — were taking no chances. Tourists were ordered to evacuate Wednesday, while residents were told to be off the island by Thursday, said Tommy Hutcherson, who serves on the local board that issues such orders.

Hutcherson, who also owns the Ocracoke Variety Store, said authorities have to issue such orders early because of the limited capacity of the ferries. Still, that doesn't mean everyone will leave.

"I'll be here," said Hutcherson, a 29-year resident who has ridden out numerous past storms. "A lot of the locals will choose to stay."

The barrier island is only accessible by boat. It is 16 miles long and mostly undeveloped, with a town at the southern tip.

Caitlin Blue, who works at the Kure Beach Fishing Pier, said Tuesday employees were preparing to board up the windows.

"That's really all you can do," said Blue, 17. "Everybody's a little apprehensive, especially the owner of the pier. This one is supposed to come right down on us."

The Kure pier has been rebuilt twice after being destroyed by hurricanes — Hazel in 1954 and the double hit in 1996 from Bertha and Fran.

Many people already have begun stocking up on essentials such as bottled water, gasoline and plywood for boarding up windows. But on North Carolina's Wrightsville Beach, a popular tourist destination, only a few wispy clouds dotted the sky on a 90-degree day. Bronzed sunbathers strolled around in bathing suits and towels, and traffic was heavy — most cars were headed toward the beach, not away from it.

Most in the area weren't panicking — but they were getting ready. Irene was the main topic of conversation at Craft American Hardware, not far from Wrightsville Beach, where people were trooping all day to pick up emergency supplies for the storm.

"Water, batteries, flashlights and now I'm going to get my grocery shopping done," said Sally Godwin, carrying two large jugs of fresh water out of the store with her. "I live at the beach, and they always evacuate it the day before. I have to make sure all my little stuff's taken care of."

It's possible Irene will make landfall over the North Carolina coast sometime Saturday, then move to the north into the Chesapeake Bay sometime Sunday. However, because such projections can be uncertain, it's also possible Irene could straddle the coast.

Fugate and National Hurricane Center director Bill Read said Irene could cause problems even over open water. New England is particularly vulnerable to heavy rains because the soil is already saturated from summer storms, which could raise the threat of flash flooding.

If Irene does move into the Mid-Atlantic area, it could threaten plans for dedicating a memorial to Martin Luther King Jr. Fugate said officials were discussing whether to hold Sunday's dedication ceremony. Tens of thousands are expected to attend the event at the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

Irene had already wrought destruction across the Caribbean, giving a glimpse of what the storm might bring to the Eastern Seaboard. In Puerto Rico, more than a million people were without power, and President Barack Obama declared an emergency there. At least hundreds were displaced by flooding in the Dominican Republic, forced to take refuge in schools and churches.

Irene was making its way toward the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands on Tuesday. The prime minister of the Bahamas pleaded with islanders in low-lying areas to seek higher ground, and also urged people to stock up on water, food, flashlights, first aid kits and other supplies. On the Turks and Caicos Islands, residents were putting up hurricane shutters and tourists were retreating to their hotels.

On Tuesday afternoon, Irene was about 55 miles (90 kilometers) south of Grand Turk Island, moving west-northwest at 10 mph (16 kph). Its maximum sustained winds were at 100 mph (160 kph).

In South Carolina, emergency agencies went on alert for what could be the first hurricane to hit there in seven years.

"This is potentially a very serious hurricane," longtime Charleston Mayor Joseph P. Riley Jr. said. He led Charleston's recovery from the massive destruction of Hurricane Hugo's 135 mph winds and waves back in 1989.

It's been more than a century since Georgia has taken a direct hit from a Category 3 storm or greater. That was in 1893, and the last hurricane to make landfall along the state's 100-mile coast was David, which caused only minor damage when it struck in 1979.

On Tybee Island, Ga., 18 miles east of Savannah, officials planned to be on the lookout for fierce rip currents and heavy surf from Irene. Mayor Jason Buelterman said it was possible lifeguards might close the water to swimmers and surfers. On Jekyll Island, about 60 miles south of Savannah, officials were watching forecasts in case measures were needed to protect historic buildings. Among them are sprawling "cottages" built by the likes of William Rockefeller and other wealthy industrialists in the late 1800s.

If Irene makes it as a major storm to New England, Read drew comparisons to a huge 1938 hurricane that also approached from the South and killed 682 people.

"We're very concerned about what's going to happen in New England," Read said.

Irene could bring much-needed relief to a fire blazing in the Great Dismal Swamp on the North Carolina-Virginia line, however. If the storm stays on its current track, it could soak the smoldering fire that's consumed more than 9 square miles of swamp in both states.

http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-irene-marks-1st-big-us-threat-years-071828290.html

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
New York City has declared a state of emergency. :( The President just announced it.

Certain parts of the city are being evacuated and the subway lines have shut down.

This city is home to the second largest Muslim population in the United States.

Hurricane Irene: N.Y. and four other states declare emergency

New York became the latest state to declare a state of emergency in a scramble to get ahead of Hurricane Irene as the storm prepares to make a potentially deadly drive up the East Coast.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s declaration Thursday follows those of Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley. North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue –- whose state is projected to take the first hit Saturday when Hurricane Irene makes landfall in the U.S. –- limited her declaration to counties east of Interstate 95.

The emergency declarations expand the states’ abilities to free up funds and cut through bureaucratic red tape to speed resources and emergency personnel to emergency areas.

It's also a sign that of how damaging -- and deadly -- authorities fear that Hurricane Irene can be.

Right now, Hurricane Irene is a Category 3 storm with winds clocked at nearly 130 mph as it raked over the Bahamas on Thursday. But it has the potential to grow in force and intensity to a Category 4 storm before reaching the easternmost reaches of North Carolina and its fragile barrier islands.

The storm has abruptly interrupted vacation plans for families and visitors in those areas as authorities order them to move to safety.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nat...-other-states-declare-state-of-emergency.html

strive-may-i

:salam2:

May Almighty Allah, take away this calamity just the way it was brought down upon..... Ameen

The Ruler of us all is Almighty. He has the might to punish the wrong and protect the right. he also can to test, punish the right too.... You know it!. For all the ones who are angry about US intervention, you will also find , positive response about it too... So dont despair, its not a way to punish, it could just be a way to test... Have faith in Good, this too shall pass through!

Take care...

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال

I pray that may Allaah protect the people; believers and non-believers. It might be that after [or even before] a terrifying event and with the will from Allaah, more and more people [believers AND non-believers] turn to God and hence, will find the one and only true faith. . . Islaam. Ameen.

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister Shahnaz,

When the storm passed through central North Carolina, the Raleigh area, it was mostly winds.

Here in the DC area we have winds and heavy rain. It is rather refreshing. In Maryland across the river, there are many counties without power.

Your fathers is correct.

Question for you? Why do you need a gas mask in NYC for a hurricane. But you have to pay for it.

Irene is downgraded to a Category I. There have been four death, three in North Carolina and one in Virginia.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

May Allah keep you and your family and everyone safe.Ameen.Trust in Allah and fear none but Allah,be patient inshaAllah everything will be alright.

:wasalam: