I am Jordan....

JordanWilson

I have joined this forum in order to gain a greater knowledge of Islamic culture and Islam in general. I am undecided in my beliefs, I am a white British male of 17 years old with an open mind and any information on Islam would be appreciated. I am studying religion and I wanted to start with Islam. I am also learning Arabic, primarily to be able to read the Qu'ran in its native language. I have a Qu'ran, by the way, but I am undecidedin my beliefs, asI have said. Thank you, Jordan.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Welcome Jordan! My husband was born & raised in Britain as well! (Soth Yorkshire, England)

Insha'Allah this site will help you decide on your beliefs, if you need any help dont be scared to let us know.

Wasalaam.

JordanWilson

Thank you very much. I own a Qu'ran and need help regarding how to readit,as I don't want to violate any traditional Islamic customs and such. So, I would appreciate any help anybody can offer.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Thank you very much. I own a Qu'ran and need help regarding how to readit,as I don't want to violate any traditional Islamic customs and such. So, I would appreciate any help anybody can offer.

As long as you are clean when touching it, and be sure not to treat it like crap (throwing it about, leaving it on a dirty floor) Of course as Muslims we like to treat it with respect since its the book that is a direct revelation from Allah (swt) to Muhammad (saw)

I am also a convert, and when i first got it I didnt know I was supposed to read it from cover to cover, I was trying to find out the order I should read it, lol.

Perseveranze

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Muslims believe it is the word of God, so we always wash our hands before touching it.

Any questions regarding what you read or anything, be sure to ask here Brother in humanity.

Some interesting links regarding the Quran for you -

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Miracle/ - Quran's Challenge
http://www.abdurrahman.org/qurantafseer/biblequranscience.html - Excellent read
http://www.defending-islam.com/page166.html
http://www.harunyahya.com/miracles_of_the_quran_01.php - Quran Miracles

:)

Isra

aka Tree2008

As salamo alaikome (peace be upon you) Jordan and welcome to TTI! I hope inshallah this website will give you all the information you need on your journey into discovering the truth in religion!!!

If you have any questions at all please dont hesitate to ask because this site has some of the most informed members I have encountered! If they cannot answer your questions themselves they are very quick to find someone who is able to!

About Quran.......please do your best to read it and from cover to cover is the best way! Is your copy an English translation? As Alf2 mentioned we Muslims show the utmost respect when handling Quran such as washing before touching it and treating it as if it is a precious gem because of course to us it is just that! Other than that the only advice is to find a place where you can completely devote all of your attention towards understanding the words you are reading and most importantly have an open mind!

If you dont mind my asking........what religion are you now or what religion were you raised? I am so happy to hear that you are investigating for yourself to find the truth. I pray that Allah guide you to the straight path and that your heart is accepting inshallah.

Like you I am currently trying to learn to read Arabic so that one day soon inshallah I will be able to read Quran in Arabic. I hope you find the way easy with Allah's guidance.

One other suggestion I have for you is to google information about Islam as the internet is a really good source to learn. Depending on your intention and desire inshallah you should find it very useful!

Good luck Jordan and may Allah guide you Ameen!

Wa salam

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Hey there Jordan!

welcome to TTI ! I hope you find it helpful. Ask away all the questions you have and God willing, you will learn a lot from this great website. Dont be afraid to use the search engine on TTI. Its the best I have used so far! =)

google information about Islam
I would respectfully disagree with you dear sister Isra. Google is not very informative when it comes to Islam. There is so much misinformation on there and so much misconceptions. I tried to use it for "research" paper and was some what angered by all the lies against this pure religion. For someone like brother Jordan, places like TTI are the best!

May Allaah show you the truth! ameen

JordanWilson

Thanks very much everyone. :)
To Isra, I was raised without religion, as an atheist. My family are mostly atheist, but they will allow me to do as I wish and accept me, which I am grateful for.
I have some Christians in my family,too.
I am about to start reading the Qu'ran tonight, and I look forward to it.
I am going to be a regular visitor here. It seems excellent. :)

Isra

aka Tree2008
Thanks very much everyone. :)
To Isra, I was raised without religion, as an atheist. My family are mostly atheist, but they will allow me to do as I wish and accept me, which I am grateful for.
I have some Christians in my family,too.
I am about to start reading the Qu'ran tonight, and I look forward to it.
I am going to be a regular visitor here. It seems excellent. :)

As salamo alaikome

Thats good to hear Jordan! Youre very lucky your family is so openminded about your choices! I hear so many reverts stories about how their families are not so accepting as yours is! Alhamdulillah at least you wont have to worry about that being a problem in making your decision!

I am happy to hear that you will be visiting us often as well and please do ask many questions and remember no question is silly or "wrong" to ask! Its our duty as Muslims to inform and teach as best we are able!

I do want to correct what I told you about using google to search for information! I did use it when I was investigating Islam for myself but in all fairness I had people supporting me and as some of the older members here can tell you I have never been afraid to ask questions so it was ok for me but as sister *AmatuAllah4lyf* said in her post its not the best place to find information that is accurate and unbiased! I must agree with her and change my original posting to match what she said about using the search engine here at TTI for accurate information about Islam! TTI also has some very informative and interesting videos you might want to check out when you have time!

Again good luck in your search and inshallah you will find what you are looking for with Allah's guidance!

Wa salam

samiha

---------
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Jordan, I hope your stay here comes to benefit!

We're really glad to have you amongst us, and I'm sure you'll find many people here from various backgrounds who all are looking forward to helping and assisting you in whatever you need to find. It's really heartening to see you come with such an honest and open attitude, and for that I do really wish you well in your time here.

As for the Qur'an, I think it's definitely good that you started reading the translation, and I'm amazed at your ambition to read in Arabic! Until that point you can always listen to different recitations through Youtube or even various threads within the forum to get a feel of what it is like, as for many of us, even when we don't understand the words the effect they have is miraculous. Most even have English translations to help understand what's being said.

Have you gotten a chance to look into the basic pillars of Islaam, in action or belief?

JordanWilson

I haven't looked into the basic pillars of Islam, but I assume I will find out by reading the Qu'ran? I have begun the Qu'ran now, and I am currently reading the second Sura. I am finding it hard to understand but no doubt I will understand in time.

samiha

---------
Staff member
I haven't looked into the basic pillars of Islam, but I assume I will find out by reading the Qu'ran? I have begun the Qu'ran now, and I am currently reading the second Sura. I am finding it hard to understand but no doubt I will understand in time.

That you will, although I will have to tell you off the bat that you will come to find that more than a religion -- Islaam is a way of life. A guidebook to the morals, behaviors and characteristics needed for the successful existence of man, the cornerstone of which is recognition of the Oneness of God (Allaah).

In Islaam there is no third party connections, each and every person is responsible for their actions, and each and every person asks and worships straight to God without any intermediatory person or object. We worship God alone and His Messenger (the Prophet Muhammad :saw:) whom He sent with the last and final message (the Qur'aan). The rest comes with the package, and sometimes you'll find that certain 'Muslims' don't really portray Islaam as it should be, and I'm glad you seem to look beyond that and into the actual teachings.

Just as a question, could I enquire as to what translation you're using? And of course if at any time you have questions, do feel free to ask us! We're not scholars, and the Qur'aan is a very eloquent book, and sometimes even we need help and clarification, so if anything like that comes up, do ask yeh?

Mairo

Maryama

Salaam Jordan,

Do not be discouraged if you are finding the Quran difficult to understand, you are still quite young and may not be at a point in your life yet where you fully understand the meanings of the message. When I was in my early 20's I tried reading the Quran for the first time, but honestly it mostly went right over my head. I just didn't see how it was applicable to my every day life. At that time I benefited more from learning some of the history of Muhammad, some of the basics about the religion, and learning from the good practices and outstanding character of well practicing Muslims, which really had an impact on me.

It wasn't until maybe 10 years later that I picked up the Quran again and had a completely different reaction. After the accumulation of so many life experiences and the guidance of Allah over time, reading it then I could literally see and understand the truth in every verse. So everyone has a different road to follow . . .

There are some excellent articles about the foundations of Islam and history of important Islamic figures, including the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), which you can find in this site in the Islamic Articles Library / Islamic Articles and Important Information section. I would encourage you to explore that part of the website.

A few you might want to start with:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2432

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2668

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3183

Best wishes to you.

WhatOnEarth?

Sister Isra it would be a lot better if your post matched in appearance to the rest of the posts because it does put you off reading.

islamlover49

Etiquettes of Listening to or Reading the Holy Quran (Q&As)

Brother Jordan:

this mite be useful for you to an extent. May Allah give you hidhaya (guidance to straight path).

Etiquettes of Listening to or Reading the Holy Quran (Q&As)

Question: Is it permissible to listen to the Qur'an (audio tapes, etc.) when involved in other activities (assignments, reading, etc.)?

Answer: When the Qur'aan is recited, it is compulsory to listen attentively. It is not permissible to play an audio tape of the recitation of the Qur'aan while engaged in other activities. That diverts one's attention from listening to the Qur'aan and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Question: I want to know that listening Quran from recorded cassettes will give one the reward of listening. According to the Ayah of Surah Aaraf (204)

Answer: The Qur'aan as played on an audio cassette does not hold the same status as a live recitation. Hence, the reward will not be the same.

However, whilst the cassette is being played, the recitation should be accorded some respect. Either listen to the recitation or switch it off altogether and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.

Question: I live in an apartment with thin walls. My friend says I shouldn't play Quran because he can hear the recitation in his room and he will be sinning if he didn't pay attention. What should I do?

Answer: Allah Ta'ala says in an Aayat of the noble Qur'aan, ?And when the Qur'aan is being recited then listen attentively to it, and be silent so that mercy be shown on you.? (A'raaf Aayat 204)

It is not correct for you to play the Qur'aan in such environment wherein people are involved in other works because this results in disrespect being shown towards Qur'aan. (Ma'ariful Qur'aan part4 pg.164). You should, therefore, play the Qur'aan in such a manner that only you can hear or may be you could possibly make use of earphones.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Question: Can a female pray, or listen verses from Quran-e-Pak without covering her head.

Answer: One should display respect when listening to the Qur'aan. That includes a female covering her head.

Question: What are the adaabs of reading Quran? How should you sit, how should you hold the Quran etc, etc. can you keep Quran on your lap or should you hold in your hands? can the knees be above the Quran level? Jazakallah

Answer: One should sit in a respectful manner on the ground. It is best to place the Qur'aan on a low table. If this is not available, hold the Qur'aan in one's hands. It is against etiquette to place it on one's lap.

If the Qur'aan is on a low table, then there is no harm if the knees are slightly higher than the Qur'aan.

Question: What is the proper way of reading Quran..?

Answer: There is no need to have Wudhu to merely recite the Quran without touching it. If one wishes to recite the Quran by also holding it, then Wudhu in necessary.
There is no specific direction to face while reciting the Quran. However it is advisable to face the Qibla while reciting the Quran. In principal when one engages himself in any form of ibaddah (at any time day or night) it is advisable to dress respectfully. That includes wearing a topee (head cap).

Question: When you come across a Sajdah Ayaat in the Quraan, whilst listening to it on tape, do you have to perform a sajdah Tilawat?

Answer: Respected Brother-in-Islam

Assalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuhu

There is no Sajdah Tilaawat when the Aayat of Sajdah is heard on tape and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Question: Can we hold and recite Quran without Wudhu wearing gloves?

Answer: It is not permissible to hold the Qur'aan with gloves on the hands but without Wudhu and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best