I find this a little disturbing

DanyalSAC

This is "modern American Islam". I think what he teaches is wrong, in my opinion and ALLAHU ALIM.

American Imam

A quote from the article: "Although the call to prayer at a mosque is always issued by a man, Webb once joked about it being made by one of his favorite female R&B artists: 'If Mary J. Blige made the call to prayer, I'd go to the mosque; I'd be in the front row.'"

Perseveranze

No different to the so called "Quran Only" Muslims. It's just something we have to put up with I'm afraid.

Only Allah(swt) knows what the future holds for Muslims, I just hope the ummah can keep strong.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I may get flamed for this but it's my OPINION nevertheless.

I think we should be careful when labeling Muslims. I'm not talking sects, I'm talking about judging one's iman. Terms like "Quran only Muslims" and modernists should be avoided, in my opinion.

I'm just going to speak from my experience as a youth leader who worked with NYC Muslim youth and learned how to significantly connect with them. Not so much about what Suhaib Webb's personal beliefs are.

I will, however, say that I've actually met Suhaib Webb and have seen him speak. Granted I don't know much about him other than the fact that he may not be the most orthodox imam out there. But the man HAS presence and as a community leader trying to connect with Muslim youth, that is CRUCIAL.

He does use American references to get his point across, which I believe is helpful for youth especially. Being able to relate to an imam who pretty much grew up the way they did can make a significant impact on Muslim youth that were previously "unreachable." Many Muslim American youth feel as if they can't connect to their imams simply out of fear of being judged or misunderstood. You have to be able to relate to them and I do believe Suhaib Webb does that well. He not only tries to connect with them but he works on maintaining that connection because there are Muslim youth that are seriously appreciative of having an imam that actually relates to them.

As for creating an "American Islam" I think that's a bit much. Like I said I don't know him much and I'll be honest, some of the contents of the article shocked me a bit, but I think he's simply trying to bridge the gap between Islam and the west. By all means, if there is any conflict between his words and Quranic teachings, then of course it's a different subject. I simply feel that in order to connect with the citizens of a particular country, one needs to be able to speak their language and understand their culture. Whether we like it or not, today's youth can't relate as much to traditions "back home" as they can with the traditions in their home country. That doesn't mean they're necessarily correct but simply being aware of those traditions shows youth that the individual knows what they're talking about as well as understands where the youth themselves are coming from.

And then they'll truly believe that this imam cares about their well-being and isn't simply trying to tell them what to do.

Bottom line: Islam is Islam. No one should try to alter it or change it. But one should remember that presentation is key and results in how well you connect with your audience. When it comes to Islam, out beautiful deen should be presented in it's pure, unaltered form. However, using references from the environment around you are immensely helpful.

As for Suhaib Webb, Rabb ul Alameen alone is the Supreme Judge. Yes, we're all human and we make mistakes (the Mary J. Blige comment was extremely inappropriate) but I believe his intentions are pure and simply about reaching out to American Muslim youth in a way that keeps them connected to Islam. However, he should be careful about not transgressing the limits of Shariah in any way, as should all of us.

BigAk

I have to say that I support Imam Suhaib's approach to reach the youth. It is very crucial to gain the youth and the potential reverts. Why should it matter what approach is used as long as it doesn't go against all Islamic principles?? I listened to Imam Suhaib, and I think his method is very effective at delivering the message and very attention grabbing.

I urge that you open your mind and rethink your position on Imam Suhaib. We need more guys like him in this country.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

I disagree in the point that to need to connect to the audience we need to find new ways. We talk so much about the Sunnah, but when it comes to actually following it how much do we really do? It applies to me as well. The way the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم gave dawah to non-muslims or addressed the Muslim youth and the Sahaba (May Allah be pleased with them) and then the next 2 best generations is the best way to do so. May Allah Guide us a

B.H.

No different to the so called "Quran Only" Muslims. It's just something we have to put up with I'm afraid.

Only Allah(swt) knows what the future holds for Muslims, I just hope the ummah can keep strong.

I am an American Muslim and follow only the Quran. However, I am open to being taught different. I admit there is much I do not know.

I just do not want to follow fables and legends like so many of the Christians have done.

msmoorad

mommys boy
I have to say that I support Imam Suhaib's approach to reach the youth. It is very crucial to gain the youth and the potential reverts. Why should it matter what approach is used as long as it doesn't go against all Islamic principles?? I listened to Imam Suhaib, and I think his method is very effective at delivering the message and very attention grabbing.

I urge that you open your mind and rethink your position on Imam Suhaib. We need more guys like him in this country.

salaams to all

its not safe to use any & every approach that works-just to win over the youth & make an impression on non muslims.
what if your exciting & cool approach gives them a twisted picture of Islam? they will begin to have the impression that ... &... things are OK/acceptable.

to be a dynamic & attention grabbing speaker should not mean you use any/every means at your disposal. saying things like if MaryJ Blige was giving azaan, hed be in the first saff- thats not even funny.
if he clarified the issue-that women dont give the azaan etc- that would be safer.
we may think its obvious but i know there are so many muslims who lack knowledge of even the basics of Islam- and they are those that are shy to come forward to learn.
if Imam Webb had to be using the example of Rasullullah (SAW) to give dawah, i dont think he'd be saying those things.

just my views.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

When a boat is about to sink and we have run out of buckets it is time to be creative.

Chill out people. Chill out.

The youth of the US who are Muslim need to find imams who are approachable. They need someone who has had similar experiences as they have had. The imam made a joke, a cultural reference to a famous and talented singer. Subject over, next item on the agenda.

What the responders are missing are the eyes of the youth. Islam has to be gentle for the youth. They have enough issues in the daily lives at school. The poor youth are subjected to 25 year old white female teachers who are scared of them. Remember, in the US it is color based. Muslims are non-white.
I did not make up the rules.

We now have imams who are born and bred in the US. They do not have the cultural issues of foreign born imams. They are young and have a sense of the reality of living in the States. They are not inoculated in their culture.

Islam is not being sold short. The brothers are in need of role models. And the US culture is not as closed as the Arab world. We make jokes here. We take it easy.

What I see in the responses are those looking in the picture and have little clue of the condition in the picture.

Thanksgiving: Muslims can always fast on Thanksgiving. It is on a Thursday, always.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I agree if a woman teaches Islam to other women or makes tajweed lessons to the children,but if one day a woman will make the Adhan...no,it's unacceptable.if the modern islamists continue to this way,one day hijab would be banned and the music would become halal:lol:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister, no woman is going to make the call to prayer. The imam was being light.
Like I said before there are many who unaware of the situation for Muslims in the US. And there are men who are reaching to the American children. This is home to them. He is speaking a language they can understand.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

Like I said before there are many who unaware of the situation for Muslims in the US.

I've lost count the number of times I've heard this statement from American Muslims, its used in contexts to justify questionable behaviour like we see here, when in fact it changes nothing. Islaam and everything associated still deserves utmost respect from Muslims and its got nothing to do with where any of us are from.

For people who are obsessed with this phrase, wherever we happen to be from we shouldn't use it as an excuse to fall short. I say we quit the whining and take some lessons from the Sahaabah who were stoic, resolved and determined to receive the best reward from Allaah without taking strides into the grey areas in the process!

As for the youth ..they need to understand that Islaam wont bend over backwards for them, they need to bend over backwards for Islaam. If they really truly want it in its purest form, for heaven sake, nothing good comes easy, why would Paradise, of all things?

Just like I am sure many reverts on this site can speak of their struggles and what they went through to hold on to Islaam once they found it, in the end it is worth it not only now, but for an eternity, inshaAllaah.

Wa-salaam

Aroosak

As a Muslim in the west I totally understand the idea of having our imams, sheikhs, scholars etc. connecting to us. I believe many of them had done a terrific job at doing so hence the increase of Muslim youth interested in the deen and in acquiring islamic knowledge. It is impressive to go to any islamic seminar or convention and see it overflowing with people under 30 subhanAllah!.... That being I said I believe most of these community leaders have carefully learned how not to cross the lines between being "cool" and having the required respect we should have for anything islamic related. I think that someone being a "scholar" doesn't mean they cannot transgress and that we have a free pass to openly judge them. As far as I know most scholars in the west are very accessible and open to communicating with their community. I suggest contacting Imam Webb about this matter and kindly discussing it with him. Is always good to hear the opinion of others.
Humbleness should be present in each one of us so I expect any teacher to take the advice of any student since we all can make mistakes and the only All Knowing is Allah ....

auroran

I am an American Muslim and follow only the Quran. However, I am open to being taught different. I admit there is much I do not know.

I just do not want to follow fables and legends like so many of the Christians have done.

what do u mean u follow only the Qur'aan?? akhi how do u pray?

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I also follow what Quran says and I pray like millions of muslims do.
I know that(now)there is no woman calling the Prayer,but by myself it's exaggerate to joke with such a matter just to make the youngs understand.this is by myself a Haram thought,by the way that the Imam joked saying in few words that if there would be a woman like Mary J. Blige at the call of the prayer,he would have gone to the mosque more easily.what a joke is it?Islam requires respect and no young people could reach the message as a help to go to pray,because they would only go to the mosque to hear the voice of a woman calling to the prayer:girl3:

auroran

What I meant was how do you pray only following the Qur'aan? The Qur'aan says to pray but it doesn't say how so you have to look into the authentic hadiths. Otherwise you would be lost and wouldn't know how to pray.

Also why not he approach Muslims with a Muslim message and not get people interested in Islaam through culture. Mary bling lady does not matter to a Muslim. You are on American land but that doesn't mean you embrace some of its culture. Instead follow your way of life, and call others into the deen through Islaam, not Islaam with American culture.

muslima2010

i understand that the imam is trying to relate to the young folks but he is definitely crossing a line when he said its acceptable to celebrate secular holidays like thanksgiving. How dare he say we should celebrate what the kufar do? Islam should not be altered for anyone. islam is COMPLETE! there is no change to it. if you really want to know how to spread dawah, than you should follow the prophets guide.. who is better at dawah than our beloved prophet who was the messanger of islam in the first place! islam is perfect the way it is and if young muslim americans cant see that way than so be it.. and lets not forget allah guides whom he wants and misguides whomever he wants. some of the jokes he makes also belittles islam.. how can you say such things and try to justify it. subhannallah! there is a limit to everything.. Sheikh Siraj Wahaj and Sheikh khalid yasin are both american sheikhs and they both do a fine job at dawah. they dont cross any lines that shouldnt be crossed and they do their best to relate to the american muslim youth following the quran and sunnah. i think mr. Webb needs to take lessons from them. all im saying is that im a young american muslim and i believe that innovating new techniques to reach out to young americans will not do anything in the long run except give those young people the wrong perception of the REAL islam!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

What people who are unaware of the unique position of American Muslims need to understand is very simple. American Muslims choose to be Muslims over anything else they have in the best of the duyna. That is the answer.

I have to admire the reverts. They walk away from ease to a life that is disciplined. They leave the comfort of family for Islam. And the numbers are growing each day. Malcolm X is a good example of leaving the duyna and they made it so hard for him..they killed him.

No-one here is advocating straying from the path. All they are advocating is finding activities that motivate the young to come to the masjid. After school activities are necessary. In this culture we need supervised activities for our youth. This is a better solution than joining gangs.

Muslims in America do not live in secluded neighborhoods. The neighborhoods are mixed and temptation is everywhere. It is that simple.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum Aapa,

Your argument is unconvincing, there is fitna everywhere, plenty of gang culture in the UK too actually. Im not talking about supervised activities, theres no problem with those.

I would say every country is unique compared to another country, being a Muslim in say, Sweden would have different and unique challenges compared to being Muslim in the US or the UK or Australia.

American Muslims choose to be Muslims over anything else they have in the best of the duyna. That is the answer.
Many people like that exist all over the world. How many European countries have you visited? the UK, Australia, Canada? You can't claim its unique if you haven't experienced the rest.

Anyways like I said previously 'unique' or not, its insignificant, theres no reason to act like hippies and distort and contaminate the pure spring that is Islam.

Stuff *removed* (point made), is simply wrong ..how can such a thing ever be justified? How hard is it for American youth to learn Wudu without such an 'aid' may I ask?

This has nothing to do with joining gangs and what not, there are many steps between learning how to make wudu correctly from a book, from a parent, an elder in the Masjid and then running off and joining a gang, videos such as these/imitation of non-Muslim culture for the simplist things is just following ones desires and wholly unnecessary.

Wa-salaam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Your argument is weak as you make an assumption.

Sister..no-one acts like hippies anymore...that is from a bygone era.

Yes, but what weakens your stance is the original thread is about something happening in the US not Europe.

And I am not going to debate the music thing here. This is not the purpose of this thread.

To return to the topic...why not allow the young imam to grow with his congregation. How can you teach someone to understand the significance of performing wudu when they have not understood the significance of needing to pray. One step at a time.

I am out of here.