I have lost my faith, and need help getting it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

B232

I am a Muslim who has lost my faith. Not because I converted to another religion. And not because I decided to adopt a secular life-style to fit in. I've lost my faith, after much thinking and questioning, and finding in the end that I could not see the logic of religion at all.

I am sad to have lost my faith, and have turned to this forum, to get help, because I am trying to be optimistic that there is something I have missed, and that if I realize what I have missed, I will find my faith once again.

I have to admit that life can be more difficult without faith. When things are going for you, you feel on top of the world, even without faith. But when you fall into a low-point in your life, it can be very depressing, because there is not life after this one. So unlike other athiests such as Christopher Hitchens, I am not happy at all by the prospect of no God; it is just that I am realisitic and feel that I must grudgingly admit that God does not exist.

If I knew for a fact that one of the religions was for a fact correct, I would most very likely choose Islam because it makes the most sense. But overall, I don't think any make sense. The reason I had trouble maintaining my Islamic faith is because of the following:

1. If God is so merciful, how could possibly burn someone in Hell eternally simply because he did not believe in God. I know that this is a cliche argument made by athiests, but I feel it has yet to be answered. Sure, I could see why a murderer or a rapist should burn in Hell eternally. But to burn someone eternally because they simply didn't believe in God seems sadistic and egotistical of God, and far from compassionate. What if someone wasn't convinced of the truth of God, such as myself, my fate would be to burn eternally even if I am a good person. Yet someone who believes in God but commits a grotesque crime may be forgiven and granted Paradise. Yet I would be condemned to eternal damnation.

2. Something couldn't have come from nothing. People of faith often tout this; athiests argue it is a straw-man argument. My view is that this is a reasonable statement from people of faith; indeed it makes no sense for something to come from nothing. I believe in evolution. I believe in the Big Bang. But that doesn't explain what the source of all that matter/energy is. However, I don't feel that people of faith have a better answer. They say God created it. But who created God? Again, a classical, yet I think fair question. People of religion will argue that God wasn't created. But that doesn't simplify things; it means we now have to explain where God got the building materials for the universe, and how he came about.

3. Why doesn't God just prove his existence? People of faith will say because then the element of faith would be non-existent. True enough. But that's also admitting that there's no way to prove his existence and so to punish someone who did not believe in something that could not be proved would be grotesquely unfair--especially when the punishment is eternal damnation.

4. Why did the Prophet marry a nine year old. Yes, I've heard the explanations about how she was physically mature, and how it was culturally acceptable, and she was post-pubescent. But something seems intrinsically wrong (from a moral stand-point) about a fifty year old man marrying a nine year old child/woman. I understand that its not pedophelia if she had the body and biology of a woman, and that the attraction is conveivably normal if those were the circumstances. But something just seems off.

5. Relating to point one, how could God eternally burn Abu-Talib simply because he didn't believe, in spite of the fact that he was a good man, who had helped and protected Muhammad, and helped the cause of Islam? It seems evil, malicious, and back-stabbing of God to do this to him.

6. Why would God let his most pious followers suffer so much? I don't really buy the argument that it's a trial, or we don't know. How can God justify letting a young child be raped, for example? Or justify a young child being eaten alive by a wild animal, as has happened? Can children who are unaware of the concept of God be trialed--clearly not.

Please do not misunderstand my. I am not attacking Islam. I am not a decoy for some athiest movement trying to uproot you from your religion. I believe that Islam is the most logical of the religions and generally can be quite just. And I believe that having faith can make you a much happier person. It gives a sense of inner peace and helps extinguish anxiety, depression, and anger.

However, this is only true if you believe, not if you simply practice religion. I am unable to believe--I want to--but I can't. And I want help, because I hope that there is something I'm missing that will make me believe.

I'm unfortunately a psychological wreck. I suffer from severe anxiety and depression, as well as painful guilt, shame, and emotional imbalances. I wasn't traumatized or anything in my childhood, but I've gone through very difficult and exceptional circumstances that have eventually caused me to collapse psychologically. I am now desperate for a solution to put my life back together, whether its through faith or psychological help. I'm reluctant to get psychological help because of the fact that would be entered in my medical records, and would thus leave me with a stigma that would follow me to the rest of my life.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for their advice. And know that if you help me find faith again and overcome my difficulties, you have done an infinite service beyond reward to a fellow human being.

JenGiove

I'm reluctant to get psychological help because of the fact that would be entered in my medical records, and would thus leave me with a stigma that would follow me to the rest of my life.

Brother,

First, allow to me tell you how empathetic I feel for you. I am not a Muslim but a Native American Indian. I was raised in so many religions that I'm a bit of a mish-mash. I KNOW there is a Creator and I know that he loves us, his children. Anything beyond that I will not share here. It's not the place.

As for the medical records thing, that I CAN tell you will not follow you unless you disclose it. HIPPA laws prevent such things. I've spent 20+ years in theraphy. This topic I DO know! :)

With all the love I contain, I wish you well and hope that your heart finds a resting place.

Jennifer

B232

Thank you Sister Jennifer for your kind words.

With respect to the issue of confidentiality, I'm not from the United States, but I realize that there are similar strong laws maintaining confidentiality here in Canada as well. However, I have been reluctant to use the services provided free-of-charge on campus not because I fear that they will divulge this information to professors. Rather, I'm afraid that it will always be an achilles-heal that will dog me. What do I mean by this? I understand that under normal circumstances, it won't be an issue. But what I mean, is that it could compromise you inexceptional circumstances. Let me give you an example of what I mean.

After so many years of being put down, discriminated against, and being the target of violence and intimidation (especially the latter), and institutionally discriminated my tolerance to aggression and injustice has been worn down. I have much less tolerance to aggression, and feel extreme grudgery when I am aggressed against, and can't do anything to respond to the aggressor. As such, I walk around with a baggage of grudges and anger against all who have hurt me. Before I was an extremely forgiving person, who easily let go of grudges--I just let it go, moved on, and it didn't bother me. Now, I no longer have that tolerance, and am unable to let go--instead I feel deep resentment, anger, and grudgery. If I were to admit these feelings to a counsellor and they were put on record at the campus therapist's office, this informaiton could be abused against me, if an unfortuantely situation were to come up on the future. For example, if I were to be physically attacked, and while defending myself I injured the attacker, my records could be pulled out as part of the investigation--I'm presuming. Then I would be labelled as an individual with anger management issues or something else, and so you can see how I would lose my rights. Psychological illness is commonly used to stigmatize individuals, and to score points against invididuals when there is conflict/disagreement. It's used to attack the credibility of the person. That's why I find keeping records is unhelpful the person being helped.

But in any case, thank you very much for your response and kind words.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
There is No god But Allah(swt) n Prophet Muhammad(s.a.w) is Allah (swt) messenger!

:bismillah:
:salam2:

:astag:
You have a Very serious problem my brother :)
You are putting yourself at stake !!!

At-Tawba (Repentance)
009.123 O ye who believe! fight the unbelievers who gird you about, and let them find firmness in you: and know that Allah swt is with those who fear Allah swt.

009.124 Whenever there cometh down a sura, some of them say: "Which of you has had his faith increased by it?" Yea, those who believe,- their faith is increased and they do rejoice.

009.125 But those in whose hearts is a disease,- it will add doubt to their doubt, and they will die in a state of Unbelief.

See they not that they are tested once or twice in every year? Still they turn not in repentance, neither pay they heed. (126)

And whenever a surah is revealed, they look one at another (as who should say): Doth anybody see you? Then they turn away. Allah (swt) turneth away their hearts because they are a folk who understand not. (127)

There had come to you a messenger, (one) of yourselves, to whom aught that ye are overburdened is grievous, full of concern for you, for the believers full of pity, merciful. (128)

Now, if they turn away (O Muhammad(s.a.w) say: Allah(s.w.t) sufficient(enough) me. There is no God but Allah(s.w.t). In Allah(swt) have I put my trust, and Allah (swt) is god of the Tremendous Throne. (129)

I suggest you consult your parent regarding this matter but if you wish to have a personal discussion over this issue you can always consult your problem to the muslim association in your country to get a good advice!
Hang in there !

Remenber!
To Allah(swt) is the return of all of you; it is a promise of Allah(swt) in truth. The promise of Allah(swt)is true and sure! Allah(swt) produce creation,and keep reproducing it, that Allah (swt) may reward those who believe and do good works with righteousness;
while, as for those who disbelieve, theirs will be a boiling drink and painful doom because they disbelieved. (4)
Surah Yunus .

Dear brother,
Whatever it is that you don't understand just leave it to Allah s.w.t. ,
Too much qestion will lead you to No where but loss !
Concentrate on increasing your iman(faith) Not decreasing it!
I don't understand why you have to see into a dead end just because of some unexplain!
iF NOBODY CAN just wait till the end when you see Allah swt and you will get a good answer!Until then stay believing!

See, even our friend JenGiove disagree with your attitute!

I hope,i solve your problem,insya'allah!
as you can see brother we are approaching to the end(only Allah swt knows when)
such people like you are surface and this had already come to our knowledge with many al hadith that the prophet Muhammad s.a.w had revealed!
So do not be alarm and stay in Iman(faith)!

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!

:shahadah:
There is No god But Allah(swt) n Prophet Muhammad(s.a.w) is Allah (swt) messenger!

[url=http://www.glitter-graphics.com] [/URL]

~Say!
[url=http://www.glitter-graphics.com] [/URL]

~Salam to all brothers and sisters :)

Thank you,
Take Care!
~Wassalam :)

kayleigh

It seems like a lot of the things you're asking are specific to Islam, or monotheistic religions in general, but not the actual existence of God. For example, you asked why God would punish someone for not believing in him. Says who? Islam? Even if Islam did say that, then why should that effect your belief in God? It might effect your belief in Islam, but you can certainly believe in God without believing in Islam.

I won't address everything you asked, but I think you need to think about the fact that religion can be separate from God. I know plenty of people here would disagree, but it's true - someone can believe in God without believing in an organized religion. I've seen people of all different religions get confused about their religion, but instead of backing away from their specific religion, they give up the idea of God completely. You don't need to do that. If I were you, I would get to the core of it and figure out whether or not you believe in God. Not a Christian God, a Jewish God, or an Islamic God, but just the belief in God. When you've figured that out, then worry about specific religions later.

I've had a lot of the same doubts you do, and I've definitely doubted the existence of God. For me, I didn't gain strong faith in God unless I took a step back from all religion and just focussed on God.

It sounds like you need both faith and psychological help. Don't be afraid to seek help though. So many people go to a therapist these days that there's hardly a stigma anymore. Even if there was, who is going to know besides you and your doctor? Trust me - it won't follow you around. I have dealt with severe anxiety and depression, and it's something you need to get help for. It won't fix itself. There's not going to be a big red stamp in your medical files that say you're a nutjob or something lol (and you're not). Which is worse - living a stunted life because you're trapped by your anxiety and depression, or dealing with the possibility that something totally improbable might happen like you just described?

I'll probably be hated for posting this. To be clear, I'm NOT saying you shouldn't be Muslim. That's something only you can decide. I'm probably not the best at explaining things but if you ever want help or to talk you can message me or reply here.

B232

Dear Kayleigh,

Thank you for your time and advice. I agree, you make a point, that I realize is true, but that evaded me when I was writing up my post.

There's the belief in God, without a religion per se, and then there's the belief in God within a framework that we call religion.

But even if God existed without the framework of religion, and let's say disbelievers were not damned to hell, and we were able to negotiate many of the problems associated with the various religions, there remains a crucial problem:

Why would God create human beings only to allow so many of them to suffer in excruciating pain--millions upon millions, including innocent children and babies who could not have possibly deserved any punishment? Would that not suggest that God is callous--even sadistic since he sees human beings suffering so painfully--but actively maintains the suffering (since he is all controlling)? I don't at all mean to be rude or blasphemous, but how else can I express my confusion at this. I know it's such an old over-used argument by athiests, but I have yet to hear a good response from people of faith.

All I've heard are variations of:

We don't know. God is all loving and has his ways and goals, which we cannot understand with our infinitely smaller minds and lesser wisdom.

I hope most Muslims on here don't take offence to your posting. Much of the reason that all of this has festered to this point, is because there's such huge taboo when it comes to expressing your true feelings, beliefs, and doubts. I used to be enrolled in Islamic classes a few years ago as a teenager, and I excelled, but whenever I asked the "sheikh" (equivalent of priest) even the most innocuous question (nothing nearly as daring as what I've posted), I would be made to feel blasphemous and ridiculed before my classmates, and given a clear hint to drop the matter, lest things escalate.

Thank you again, and if you have an answer to my question regarding suffering and God, please share.

Islam!!yay

I went through the same thing, I doubted God or Allah and started believing that really something can come from nothing And that Evolution could be real. But I kept fighting that thought. I am sort of a sciencey guy so in order to help strengthen my faith I helped myself by looking up videos over youtube. Not religious videos but scientific videos. The type that they try to prove that there Is a God or an "Intelligent Designer". And it helped me.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/IllustraMedia#p/p

This person has a playlists of videos that proves God's existence

To make it easier for you: -On the top of his profile Click "Playlists" -Look on the right and you will Find

"The Privileged Planet" <<< ( This video has also a book and I think it goes more in depth than the video, cause its really thick )
"Unlocking the Mystery of Life"
"The Case for a Creator"

All make an Attempt to prove That there Is a "Designer".

NOTE: The videos comes in parts so you will have to click on the next video if you want to continue watching the series.

Note that that Last video i mentioned tries to prove that Christianity is the true religion.Ignore that claim whenever they mention that.I read a book once that the Bible had some inconsistencies when it comes to science. But 99% of that video talks about scientific FACTS .......not made up facts but REAL scientific facts.

And one thing I like to point out about evolutionists is that whenever they say Intelligent Design might a real thing, they would say that Aliens somewhere in the universe came to Earth and seeded the Earth with life and thats why we have todays biodiversity Thanks to the Aliens. But then we have to ask who created The Aliens ? they surely cant evolve because evolution is not a proven theory so how did they come about ?

And dont judge what people did in the six century based on 21st context. The marriage between Prophet Muhammed PBUH and Aisha was normal. Remember now we think racism and segregation as inhumane and stupid and there would global resistance to it if it was still practiced today.But Just 50 or 70 years ago it was widely practiced and acceptable. So imagine how different people would be in the SIX century era!

Do you like to read ? I suggest to you "Muhammed" by Karen Armstrong.

And I dont Think that EVEYBODY non-muslim will burn in hell.God will judge who will go to Heaven or burn in hell and God is the Best of Judges.

B232

That's not true. God only punishes people who received His message yet chose to reject it. He says in the holy Quran,

"And We would not be tormenting until We send off a Messenger" (17:15)

Why aren't you? Did you read the Quran? It's not rocket science. The knowledge of God is the innate nature of all creatures.

This is an ill-posed question, because it makes the assumption that for an entity to exist, it needs building materials and a maker. This is true for creatures but not for God. God, by definition, is the One who can create without building material and exists without a maker.

To ask, "Who created God" is like asking "What revolves around the moon?" A moon, by definition, is a celestial being that revolves around a planet. Nothing revolves around it. If something revolved around it, it would be a planet (or a star) but not a moon.

Not true, because God instilled in all His creatures the certain knowledge that He is God. See 7:172. Those who reject God go against the conviction of their own souls.

You may also find this web site helpful.

This a common misconception. See this post for more details.

That said, why would that be cause for you to abandon Islam? Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the Prophet (PBUH) did something wrong, why would that convince you that Islam is not true? He was human. He made mistakes and some of them were mentioned, and corrected in the Quran.

But marrying `Aa'isha bint Abi-Bakr, may God have been pleased with both, was quite proper, since she was nineteen at the time.

As he was dying, Abu-Taalib had his nephew, peace be upon him, on his right side, and his brother Abu-Jahl on his left side. The Prophet (PBUH) kept begging him to say the Shahaada and he could see in his eyes that he wanted to do it, but Abu-Jahl kept shaming him by saying, "Are you going to abandon the religion of Abdul-Muttalib (their father)?" Abu-Taalib chose Taqleed to doing the right thing. That's why he will be punished. Our choices in life carry consequences. The foremost choice, acceptance of God, must therefore carry the biggest consequences.

Evil is a necessary result of the free will. These articles may help you understand this better.

As for horrible accidents to innocent people, they are a test of faith of those who survive them. The child is not trialed. His parents are. The child, in fact, is in heaven having skipped all trials of this world!

What you're missing is the Quran. It is God talking to you. Say to yourself that you are going to study the Quran like your life depends on it! Give yourself time to reflect on what you study. Ask questions about what you don't understand. We are all here to help you.

And above all, ask God to help you. If you are sincere in seeking the truth about Him, then He will certainly guide you if you ask Him.

I agree; God only punishes those who have received his message and reject it. Let's say I have received his message, and I am unable to believe it. I am good to others, but I am still unable to believe in Him. I wish he existed and I wish I could believe, but I can't. How is it reasonable for me to burn--burn alive essentially--in hell eternally. Yes, choices carry consequences. But such a consequence for simply not believing is unbelievably severe. With regards to Abu-Talib, yes I agree he refused to convert out of pride. However, he served Islam like a Sahabi, and he was known to be a good person. If God is all Knowing would he not have realized that Abu Talib is a human being and because he is human and has weaknesses could not resist the perceived feeling of shame and so did not say the Shahada. I just don't get why God is seemingly obsessed with his creatures believing in him.

With regards to Aisha, believe it or not, that point is not of great concern to me, because I can conceive how it can be overcome--regardless of whether she is 9 or 19. And not because somethings are wrong now but were right before. Things are either right or wrong or neutral.

Regarding who created God, I don't see how it compares to the moon? I'm talking from a strictly scientific perspective. The moon doesn't require something to be rotating around it. However, matter cannot come from nothing. That's not physically possible.

With regards to having an innate belief in God--I don't know if that's true, but I think we have an innate desire to understand and find the truth, and God is an attracitve idea. To be honest with you, prior to Grade 9, I was a complete athiest--even as a child I was an athiest, convinced that the Prophet Muhammad was either a self-serving confabulator, or a kind-hearted man who created the concept of religion in order to put an end to the evil in teh world, and I felt the latter was very likely because I believed that religion had such a positive influence even if it were not true.

In grade 9, I experienced from some shrot term psychological problems. I lay there on my bed, pondering and willowing in depression. Thoughts of death--not suicide--began to creep. I began to imagine what it would feel like dying, and the fact that we will all die one day. And that we would turn in to dirt, and would be decomposed by bacteria, insects, and worms. I had never deeply considered hte consequences of a lack of God because I was on top of the world, and was a very cheerful person. When I fell into depression, I began to introspect, and I finally realized that no God means no after-life, and this life is it. Parents will die, and you will never see them again. You will die, and that will be the end of you. I started crying, and I begged for a God to be out there. You won't believe it, but as I just wrote this, my eyes teared, becaue I remember this experience vividly. I half-accepted the possibility of the existence of God, hoping.

I continued to suffer from depression for a few weeks. Finally, I made the effort to find God by going to the mosque. My dad also got me involved in an Islamic program for youth, and he taught me how to pray properly and do ablution.

I began to learn a lot about Islam, and enrolled in classes, where I gained a lot of knowledge of Islam. I began to memorize the Quran. I began to photocopy pages and read them on the subway. I wanted to learn more and more. I have to admit that I was not fully practicing. I did not pray all five times, for example. However, I fasted, and when I prayed, I was very sincere. I felt faith in me, and it was so comforting. I found a second family and felt like I belonged, and was around people who cared about me, after a long childhood and school life devoid of real friendships and of bullying.

I had overcome my depression within a few weeks, but relapsed after a year momentarily. But I was on top of the world academically, athletically, in terms of faith, and in terms of my happiness after overcoming the second bout and in between teh first and and second bout. My faith began to wane, and I left classes. I did not pray, and I did not fast. And I began to question religion. Why? Because after months of classes, I was not praying all five times. I asked myself why. If praying were for money or marks, would I have missed so many prayers. The answer was a resounding no. But yet I was missing them, when the reward is Jannah, which is infinitely better. What didthat mean; it meant that I was not sure that God and Jannah did exist.

Despite having left, I was still on top of the world in terms of happiness.

However, I collapsed psychologically a period of time later, and have now been suffering for five years from depression, anxiety, shame, and guilt. But even when I practice religion, these symptoms don't get better.

However, I think finding real faith, may help--at least partially.

I feel choked, and there is no one to turn to, to speak with. I have become desperate for a solution as my life is being destroyed before my very eyes to a level that no one would have predicted, which is why I have turned to this site.

fatma_said

Asalamu alykum brother

i want to make a correction to your statement..
why would you say that aisha was nineteen at the time maybe you could clarify that however she was nine

The kuffar like to make the isssue of aisha a big issue just like at the time of the prophet s.a.w the kuffar like to make a big issue out of the the issue between Zaid and the proposal to Zainab bint Jash.

on BOTH of these occasions it was ALLAH the almighty, the wise and the All-knowing who INSTRUCTED the prophet s.aw to marry aisha ra.a

infact as a sign of the times if the prophet was not to marry her, a man before that had asked to be given to her in marriage.

The disbelievers forget that even their customs at the time was that babies not even children would be promised to each other...

anyway the point here is not the customs but that Allah chose Aisha r.a.a for the prophet for a reason and what a tremendous blessing she was for the whole ummah.

Aisha r.a.a was one of the most learned scholars of her time, so much so that sahaba would come and ask her for information about certain actions of the prophet (which she would know because she learnt first hand from the prophet)

we owe such a debt to aisha r.a.a . Where would the muslims a have been if it was not for the immense knowledge that she preserved

may allah join us with the righteous sahabah in jannah!

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

1. pray to Allah humbly to give you faith and guidance.

2. read Quran translation, prophet's bio and few other Islamic books.

inshallah, you will develop faith in Him. in the beginning you may find it uneasy...but inshallah soon, you will love it.

may Allah help you.

World Peace

Islam is Light
Asalam aleacom brother B232

May Allah guide you to his straight path, and brighten your heart with the light of Iman.

Regarding your questions, the following links provide you with the answers.

Discover the truth about Islam
http://www.theradiantlight.blogspot.com

Islam Religion
http://www.islamreligion.com

The truth about Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him)
http://www.rasoulallah.net/v2/index.aspx?lang=en

I hope you read through them.

Do not give up your fight against Satan.

With a sincere heart, Make dua that Allah guides you to his path while seeking knowlege.

Wasalamo aleacom

kayleigh

Why would God create human beings only to allow so many of them to suffer in excruciating pain--millions upon millions, including innocent children and babies who could not have possibly deserved any punishment? Would that not suggest that God is callous--even sadistic since he sees human beings suffering so painfully--but actively maintains the suffering (since he is all controlling)? I don't at all mean to be rude or blasphemous, but how else can I express my confusion at this. I know it's such an old over-used argument by athiests, but I have yet to hear a good response from people of faith.

I don't know. If everything in the world was fair and just and painless then this wouldn't be the world, it would be paradise. You're right that it's entirely unfair that some people starve and live in war zones while some people live in safe little suburbs and completely gorge themselves on food and material wealth. But it's not really God doing those things, it's humans. I guess you could ask why he created humans to have the capacity to do these things, or why he doesn't stop it. I couldn't really answer you then. I'd like to think people who suffer greatly in this life will have it made up to them in the next.

Men of Allah

Ya Allah,Ya Rahim.
I am a Muslim who has lost my faith. Not because I converted to another religion. And not because I decided to adopt a secular life-style to fit in. I've lost my faith, after much thinking and questioning, and finding in the end that I could not see the logic of religion at all.

I am sad to have lost my faith, and have turned to this forum, to get help, because I am trying to be optimistic that there is something I have missed, and that if I realize what I have missed, I will find my faith once again.

I have to admit that life can be more difficult without faith. When things are going for you, you feel on top of the world, even without faith. But when you fall into a low-point in your life, it can be very depressing, because there is not life after this one. So unlike other athiests such as Christopher Hitchens, I am not happy at all by the prospect of no God; it is just that I am realisitic and feel that I must grudgingly admit that God does not exist.

please, don't be sad my brota !:( we are all here for you..:arabi1: .. that's why this forum has been made to keep you stay unite with us...:SMILY126: Just keep this in mind, we must always remember Allah in all circumstances ..:SMILY61: whatever any difficulty in life that always happen ..
Allaah is the One Who made us
You and also me!
Allaah made the whole wide world
And all the things we see.
Allaah, He knows everything
He knows the things we do
Allaah hears and sees all things
And knows what we’re up to.
Allaah, He looks after us
And gives us life to live
He gives us clothes and food and health
All good things He does give.
Allaah, He protects us all
And keeps us far from harm
He gives us shelter from the cold
And keeps us safe and calm.
Allaah is the One Who guides
He tells us what to do
Allaah says to worship Him
This way we’ll be good too.
Allaah is our One best Friend!
There’s none like Him for sure!
The Kindest One and Merciful
So let’s love Allaah more!

Well, Allah is all that. Allah is always there for us. Whenever we need Allah we simply raise our voices in du'aa (supplication) or we pray! It's a free 24 hours phone line to Allah.
It's easy. Just make du'aa... He is always hearing you and knowing what you say. Then... we can always talk to Allah.. .tell Him what is bothering us.. tell Him what our problems are. He always listens and He is always helping us, in His own way, if we ask for Him for Help. Maybe we think Allah is not helping us... but He is; we just don't know! I'll give u an example...
A friend of mine was so upset.... she didn't know what to do... she cried to Allah and asked Allah for help... but then she thought... Allah is not helping me!!! Next day... she was reading Quran... and the sadness just went away...
I said to her... see.... Allah helped you.. He let you read the Quran.... you think He didn't help... but He was waiting for the right time.
See my young Muslims.... Allah is always always there for us. ok!!:SMILY149:.

Don't ever give up on Him. Just always make du'aa and wait... if Allah didn’t answer your du'aa yet... make du'aa again! and Again and Again!! until things become smooth and easy ok.

Then you might ask.. but I can't visit Allah... yes you can... whenever you pray... you are in a meeting with Allah... whenever you go to the masjid... you are going to Allah's house... whenever you go to Makka if you can... then you are visiting Allah's house!!

See... so Allah is our friend.... just trust in Him and love Him... if you love Allah, then Allah will love you too. If you trust Him... Allah will not let you down...
The reason I write to you is because I trust in Allah... I trust that if I try to help young people learn Islam.... Allah will help me and He will guide them... I have so much hope in you my dear young Muslims... so please be wonderful Muslims... and love Allah... and be good.
:wasalam: wa Rahmatu Allah...

B232

Thank you everyone who has posted advice. I am making the time to try to read through all of the resources you've posted.

B232

I ask you this question......which matters more in the end, your pride at having to stand trial for injury to someone else? or the possibility that you perform an act that HAS no return, such as murder? How would you feel then? Sometimes you have to "suck it up" and trust that what you are doing has a greater benefit. You can not go it alone anymore. You don't have to either.

Thank you for your explanation. I don't understand what you mean by this? Do you mean that having injured another human being is a more important issue than facing legal consequences?

I don't agree with this logic; it seems pacifistic, and I'm not a fan of pacifism to say the least. What is terrible is not violence; it is aggression. For example, in the Congo right now, government troops and rebels are both now killing innocent civilians and raping women. These soldiers are deserving of the death penalty. This judicial retribution is very ethical; it would be unethical to no execute them. As another example, which is not retributive but defensive, imagine if someone tried to mug you, and in self-defense you fought back, and in the process they fell to the floor with a serious concussion. You would have done absolutely no wrong. You had every right to protect yourself and cannot control what happens while defending yourself, but must do what you have to do to ensure your safety, and the attacker risked this unpredictable result when he attacked you.

Aggression is what is unethical; not violence on its own. That includes violence for personal gain or unnecessary violence. For example, a criminal mugging a passerby.

In any case, the example I gave is hypothetical. What I mean to say is there are circumstances where your medical file can be pulled out against your will including but not limited to criminal proceedings (regardless of whether it's against you or another individual, and you're a victim or witness), lawsuits, certain job applicatios (e.g. army--this doesn't apply in my case, but I mention it as an example), and perhaps campus officials if there is a disagreement between you and aministrators and investigation is called. In a perfect life, one wouldn't have to worry about these possibilities, but life isn't perfect. And so one would constantly feel he is followed by the threat of medical file that will compromise him unfairly.

I guess there's a threshold at which point a person couldn't care less and submits himself to therapy because the pros far outweigh the cons. I completely understand that.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

Please someone post this questions in www.islam-qa.com as that would be more helpful. As the brother needs some serious help and our opinions won't just do. I will speak shortly on the point of our Prophet :saw: marriage to Aisha r.a.a. First of all, though prophet hood was received the Prophet :saw: at the age of 40, Allah had always watched over him and his actions and did not let him take any wrong steps in his life. In fact, it was Allah who directed the prophet :saw: to his steps to create the way for his prophet hood. The prophet :saw: did not marry for his personal pleasure, not Aisha r.a.a. and not his other wives. All his marriages had a special purpose and was uniquely beneficial to Islam. For example, Khadija's r.a.a. wealth was used as a charity to those muslims who suffered from the boycott of the Mushriks and also she was the first to except Islam. Then the prophet's other marriages included marriage to slaves to get them freed and their mahr was their manumission. The wisdom behind the marriage with Aisha r.a.a. as explained by the scholars is that she witnessed a very good portion of the prophet's :saw: life during his prophet hood and later on she lived for a longer time. She then used to teach the ummah about various actions of the Prophet :saw: in his personal life such as late night prayer, etc. Aisha r.a.a. is very vital in a such a situation as these certain actions can only be narrated by someone as close as a wife. So, Aisha r.a.a. was the perfect choice with reference to her age and also her wisdom, memory, etc (other qualities which people never even talk about ). May Allah forgive me for mistakes and please brother and sisters do correct me if you find mistakes. And as I've said, it is better that you take these questions to a good scholars. You need some good facts and logics and not opinions. May Allah guide us all and for us all.

N:B- I would advice you to post these questions on www.Islam-qa.com. I will try to post them myself as well. Insh'Allah if you want the truth, you will know the truth.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
Another advice brother,

You should know some facts. Your brain and my brain has its limitations. The part of your brain which sees, is itself dark. All it processes are electric signals. Probably you know it all, just a reminder. Try as much as possible you can never perceive infinite happiness or infinite sadness. The brain just crashes, just like a computer program does due to a infinite loop. Infinite is beyond our domain in this dimension. Just like that you can not perceive questions like "Who created God" let alone the answer. This is beyond your and my domain to try to find out or even think about. And also, you can not ever understand why does God wants to punish someone who does not believe in Him.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarkatuhu dear brother.

May Allah subhan wa teala help you to find your answers and give peace to your heart and mind. SubhanAllah, you see dear brother that you can not completely rely on noone except on Allah. Allah is The Most Mercyfull,and The Most Benefical,and is helping always to his honest Servents who do good deeds and stay away from fobidden for His sake, because it is the only to reach neerness of Allah Almighty.

Faith is in the heart,and everything is begining from ihlas( honesty) in ones heart and it is expressing trough our deeds. Some things we can not understand with our reason or mind, but if heart is a wake and is thinking even without reaosn ( which offcourse does not mean that we should not use our reason) it finds all answers in heart, because SubhanAllah, Allah is The Most Greatest and He made human beings with fitrat and pure souls, that is why every human feels when he does something good or something bad. And Inshallah you should look for answers in your heart dear brother, offcourse with Allahs help and Mercy.In Arabic language, for heart is useing the word " qalb", which can mean something variable, or something that it can be change. That is why Allahs ResulAllah sallahu alayha wa salam said that Allah is keeping everyone heart in His hands, so if Allah wish to change it for better, He is able to do so,the same if one is not asking help of Allah to guide his heart to be pure, than Allah will leave it like it is, corupt or bad. And also to add, Allah is The Most Just, He is fogiving, rewording or punishing, but only those who deserve it, like for doing Shirk or doing big sins forbiden by Allah. Because, even for humans goodnes is reflecting in ones justice, and justice means to reword those who are doing good deeds, and punish those who are doing bad deeds and who deserved punishment.

Our beloved Prophet Mohammed sallahu alayha wa salam said: "Surely there is in the body a small piece of flesh; if it is good, the whole body is good, and if it is corrupted, the whole body is corrupted, and that is surely the heart". Imam Bukhārī

May Allah help you dear brother and guide your heart towerd the only truth, our beautiful religion Islaam. ameen summa ameen :tti_sister:

I pray that Allah helps you in everything.

:wasalam:

B232

So wait, you finally got an A in philosophy101 and you now know it all. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I got an A in art and all I can draw are stick figures. Your defense is weak. The reasons you portray, in their essence, are illogical.

Your reason #1: If God is so merciful,..

We should mean nothing to God to begin with. It is God's Mercy that gave us that tiny bit of significance. God is not like your mommy or daddy, who are obligated to feed you and dress you up. God took care of you because He chose to. Sadly, you'll only begin to appreciate Him when He chooses to not take care of you. Show gratitude before it's too late.

Take a course in Modern Physics and you'll see how retarded and primitive this reason is. I'll give you a hint: time has no effect on light, and whatever moves faster than light, will not be in our earthly dimension.

God has given you all the proofs you need to understand His existence. Instead of reading those BS atheist books, read the Quran and TRY to put together all aspects of nature--actual principles and NOT theories--then you'll truly understand life. And it's all written in the Quran.

Prophet marrying a 9 yr old??? Where did you get that from? Were you actually there to witness it? Even if it true, who chooses when a person can be an adult, God or your nation's constitution?

Pedophilia? Do you even know what that term means? After taking that physics course, try taking a course in Psychology.

I'd love to go on, but you make me sleepy. BUT, do yourself a big favor and do your thorough research next time. :SMILY153:

Clearly you have taken offence to my posting, despite my having just asked questions. There are civil and respectful ways to communicate your disagreement. Resorting to immature and rude ad hominems is not the way of civil discussion.

To respond to your posting:

1. I clearly said in my posting it was NOT pedophelia. So I don't understand why you're harping on pedophelia. And I have taken a few psychology courses, including abnormal psychology. It's not pedophelia because she was sexually mature. Her age is relative. I'm not arguing from the standpoint of the constitution. Obviously, girls do not become women at eighteen; most do so much earlier. I merely pointed this out to be a point of concern. In any case, as I've mentioned, it is a minor point of concern and I can appreciate the defenses posted by the different individuals in this thread. My main concerns are the more philosphical points; not the historical ones.

2. I did not claim that I knew anything about philosophy, but as a human being I have an inquriing mind that is naturally curious for answers. It does not take formal education to ask these questions and to wonder about these points. I did not say I have the answers; I think it is arrogant for anyone to say so without proof, and no one has proof. I am saying I am doubtful, and don't know the answers. I feel confused and am looking for the answers. The reason so many people die in the state of belief that their parents had, is because people are afraid of change and afraid to challenge deeply held convictions. Unless you sincerely believe, and not just because your parents raised you that way, then you are doing yourself a disservice, because you have found tradition, and not the truth.

3. Actually, God can be held to greater account than your parents. Yes, he must accept responsibility for our creation. Why did he create us, if only to allow us to suffer? We are not play-toys. That would be tantamount to parents having children and throwing them in the streets to the elements, and telling them there's no onus on us to take care of you. That's absurd. God is allegedly infinetly more loving and powerful than parents, and so the onus is even greater that he look out for His creations.

4. I'm not going to go into the physics of it, because I am not a physics major, and even if I were, that's not nearly enough background. However, I'm merely pointing out that matter and energy coming from nothing goes against physical principles--that's fact.

5. I haven't read any of those "BS books" such as the "God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and "Why God is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens, but I have viewed their videos. In fact, I disagree very much with these two men, especially when it comes to their assertion that religion has done more evil on the world, and their happiness at the fact that God in their view does not exist. I did not become an athiest because of them. I viewed their videos because I started losing faith, and wanted to get the final word. I think the best state to be in is to have 100% faith. The second best state is to have 100% athiesm in your heart. And the worst is to be unsure if you believe in God or not, becuase in this state you will always be terrified in the back of your mind that you will burn in Hell eternally if it happens that you do not qualify as having enough faith because you doubt God's existence. The athiest on the other hand is sure that God does not exist, and so he has no fear of death in his heart--not no fear, but a more manageable level of fear. However, he who has absolute faith, is the happiest, because he doesn't have a neutral view towards death--he has a very positive view, because he knows he will be going to a much better place--a perfect world called Heaven.

What I have written in my post is not a disproof of religion. Rather they are sore points that have failed to be addressed by religion, in my understanding of the topic. Athiesm also has answers to give. I'm not preaching anything. I'm just expressing doubt and confusion, and my natural human instinct, is to find certainty and truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.