I was told to not wear Kufi in class

Mohammad87

Hey guys My Name is Mohammad Im 19 years old and from New Jersey, I go to St. Peter's College in New Jersey and Yesterday in my History class, I was told by my history teacher to take my kufi off my head...I just started wearing one yesterday..she has known me for 1 year now so she know's I don't usually wear it...I started wearing one because I think it will help me in becoming a better Muslim...but anyway I still don't think she has a right to tell me to take my kufi off...I tried to explain to her that it is a religious headgear , but she kept telling me that no one was allowed to wear any hat's or do-rags or anything on their heads ...unless it's a headscarf..and she went on to tell me that it wasnt a big deal for me to take it off since this was the first time I have worn it in class...she is VERY VERY stubborn .but anyway I'm really mad that she had made me take it off...I need advice..what can I tell her and the Dean of my college?..How can I explain that I have the right to wear it because it is religious ...I am confused because she kept bringing up the point that it's not that same thing as a headscarf ....I need your advice..thanks alot!

apocalypse77

chuck it away, my dear. thats just a sunnah. islam is a flexible religion.

OH im sure there are some pple here who are gonna scrutinise me for saying this

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
chuck it away, my dear. thats just a sunnah. islam is a flexible religion.

OH im sure there are some pple here who are gonna scrutinise me for saying this

No i wont. i wont say chuck it away but you can wear it once you got out of school . keep it in the bag then

It is not wajib but akhi there are many other ways to help you become a better muslim.....

mahdi

yeah, just take it out when you are in her class and u can put it on when you are out of her class

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

that school in jersey city is known to be racist. a good friend of mine had left that school because of it. a kufi, because of it's reputation of being islamic identity is seen as threatening to them over there. it is a catholic college after all, and they can't afford to have people convert to islam. think about it. you never wore the kufi before, now that you do, people will be questioning you about it, which gives you an opportunity to talk about islam, something although they won't admit it, they don't like.

although the kufi isn't essential, your professor should have layed off. it's much different than a do-rag or baseball hat. she is trying to compare it to something that thugs wear. this school is located in a section of a big city on kennedy blvd where countless numbers of muslims are passing by, she shouldn't be surprised if students come dressed looking like muslims. plus you're paying for school.

:wasalam:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

that school in jersey city is known to be racist. a good friend of mine had left that school because of it. a kufi, because of it's reputation of being islamic identity is seen as threatening to them over there. it is a catholic college after all, and they can't afford to have people convert to islam. think about it. you never wore the kufi before, now that you do, people will be questioning you about it, which gives you an opportunity to talk about islam, something although they won't admit it, they don't like.

although the kufi isn't essential, your professor should have layed off. it's much different than a do-rag or baseball hat. she is trying to compare it to something that thugs wear. this school is located in a section of a big city on kennedy blvd where countless numbers of muslims are passing by, she shouldn't be surprised if students come dressed looking like muslims. plus you're paying for school.

:wasalam:

Yeh i just realise that. Your teacher comment is kind of insulting....

Oh yah ....in my country they dont call it college , they call it university .
I thought for universities , there are lots of freedom.....Strange....

IMAM

One thing you will tend to notice,atleast on my part living among muslims from literally every Islamic country is how different their choice of clothing is kufi and hijab included.To answer your question brother as much as islam was spread to different lands over the centuries it always took a native face.You can be just like anybody else but what counts is the practise not a question of display.Hope i didnt come across as blunt.I would agree with those who have said you should chuck it.

sajjuaiah

As-salaam alaikum,

May Allah help you brother.

I agreed with the brothers; you can wear while you are out of college.

Don't worry, there are many ways that you can be better muslim.

:salah: :tti_sister: :SMILY346:

Sabahulkhair

Mashallah bro,
Allah always test those who are the strivers for good....So don't worry about what your Prof. says..Just remember Allah never gives us a test that we can not handle..

quotation of scholars:

man taha wana bil adabi hurimassunana, wa man taha wana bissununi hurimal faraida, waman taha wana bilfaraida hurimal aakhirata kaja fii tálimil mutaállim.

who feel lazy to maintain adab, he will mahrum from maintain sunnah,who feel lazy to maintain sunnah,he will mahrum from maintain fard,who feel lazy to maintain he will mahrum from maintain he will mahrum from the niamah of hereafter.

sorry brother my english is not so good and also not arabic.
it will be better if any brother can help to translate that quotation.

hope i make it clear about the importance of adab or sunnah.

( thats just a sunnah.)

one of my brother quote this sentence.There is nothing wrong in that sentence.But during the time of sahaba they couldn´t even think about to leave sunnah of prophet(sw).They thought we will be in trouble if we left the sunnah of prophet (sw) but now a days we leave even fard salah but not awaring of any problem.

As brother nyerekareem gave us some information about that institue so i think if you cant do this you can chuck it.
No i wont. i wont say chuck it away but you can wear it once you got out of school . keep it in the bag then

It is not wajib but akhi there are many other ways to help you become a better muslim.....

I will also say the same things what brother alkathiri said.
The problem as you said you start it wearing since yesterday not from the first day of school.
And such things is not understable by some people.
it would be better if you had worn it first day of class.
I got same situation with kufi in my class when i was in 10 standard.
even muslim teachers make fun about it(specially my religion teacher).
i feel such pain in my heart and then i did dua to allah that ohh allah i want to practise sunnah and increase my iman.
alhamdulillah allah accept my dua and even there are a few german atheist teacher in my class they allow me to wear kufi but not the another boys who wear caps.

Brother i hope you have beard , if you have then i hope you have also beard which is more then one hand full(wajib).

Hope its will be help you to save you from some fitna´s.

I think kufi is very importent sunnah indeed.Hope this thread will help to understand the importance of kufi:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13435

I just wonder.......What is the purpose of male wearing a Kufi anyhow?

One of the sunnah of prophet mohammad(sw) and there is no hadiths which tell us that prophet (sw) hadn´t any kufi and or imama on his head and walking through the market.
He had alsways kufi or imama on his head.

al-muslimah

salam alaycoum akhai..i think in colloges you are free to wear what you like..anyway maybe a new system..look wearing a kufi is not wajib..its only a suna...and if you think it lets you be a betta muslim there are lots and lots of ways to make you look like that..may good help you..
walaycoum alsalam
:)

kayleigh

Seeing as it's not obligatory, you should respect the rules of your college and take it off while you're in class. You can always put it back on when you get out.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

The default ruling in Islamic Law regarding the customs and traditions of society is that they are lawful and permissible – as long as they do not in any way contradict the teachings of Islam established by the sacred texts.

Keep in mind that we are talking here about societal customs, not matters of worship and devotion.

Respecting customs is indeed the Sunnah regarding customs. We are supposed to respect the norms and traditions of the society in which we live or in which we find ourselves, as long as those norms and traditions do not violate Islamic teachings.

A society’s norms of dress provide us with an excellent example. We are not supposed to dress in a manner that people regard as strange in order to dress like the people of Arabia at the time of the Companions. Doing something like that goes against the very practice of the Companions.

When Islam spread beyond the borders of Arabia, they never called the people to dress like the inhabitants of the Hijaz region. They left each people to their own manner of dress.

The reason the Companions did not command the people who entered into Islam to change their style of dress is because norms of dress are regulated by custom and culture, and the only requirement is that the norms of dress should comply with the broad dictates of Islamic law – for instance, the dictates of modesty.

The same applies to social customs, like those relating to wedding traditions and wedding receptions. Each society has its own norms and customs about such matters, and these should be respected as long as they do not violate Islamic mores and Islamic teachings.

And Allah knows best.

Islamtoday

Mohammad87

Thanks for all your advice everyone! It is true I guess I can wear it out of her class..just not in her class..but I just wanted to wear it to identify myself more clearly as a muslim..many people didn't know I was muslim even though my name is Mohammad which is an obvious muslim name..I always get people asking me whether or not I am a muslim..which is so weird for me...but anyway... wearing the kufi was a way of letting everyone know that I was proud of it..and I do attend a Catholic college so that might have been one of the reasons people are so uneasy about me displaying myself as a muslim..but anyway thanks for the advice and take care ...

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
First of all become better muslims starts in your heart and your actions to bettering oneself. I would agree with the sisters & brothers take it off during classes and put it on when you leave school zone. The teacher has a point It is not the same as Headscarf is require for us islam womens (but i never heard Kuffi being require for guy) so even if you choose to fight you will lose. Good luck!!

Mohammad87

yea you have some good points..It truly doesnt matter what I wear on my head..it's what's IN my head...but thanks for the advice..

najbc

Assalam

Hey guys My Name is Mohammad Im 19 years old and from New Jersey, I go to St. Peter's College in New Jersey and Yesterday in my History class, I was told by my history teacher to take my kufi off my head...I just started wearing one yesterday..she has known me for 1 year now so she know's I don't usually wear it...I started wearing one because I think it will help me in becoming a better Muslim...but anyway I still don't think she has a right to tell me to take my kufi off...I tried to explain to her that it is a religious headgear , but she kept telling me that no one was allowed to wear any hat's or do-rags or anything on their heads ...unless it's a headscarf..and she went on to tell me that it wasnt a big deal for me to take it off since this was the first time I have worn it in class...she is VERY VERY stubborn .but anyway I'm really mad that she had made me take it off...I need advice..what can I tell her and the Dean of my college?..How can I explain that I have the right to wear it because it is religious ...I am confused because she kept bringing up the point that it's not that same thing as a headscarf ....I need your advice..thanks alot!

I did not know the university had dress code. just wear it after class.