Question: If prayers can change anything or anybody, why then must we punish people in Islam?

saiqa-gellane

if prayers can change anything or anybody, why then must we punish people in Islam? Why not pray and trust in God to change them to see the wrong in their ways?

Ummah 99

Those are some nice thoughts sis, Subahan Allah.
Although I must point out at your mistake.
It is not proper to call Allah "God" because it is a biblical term and set forth by Christians. This is the explanation by Dr. Zakir Naik:

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
if prayers can change anything or anybody, why then must we punish people in Islam? Why not pray and trust in God to change them to see the wrong in their ways?

Assalaamualaikum.

It's just not the prayers that do magic sister. Even you have to take an effort. Let's say for example, I sit at home and pray that "Oh Allah, give me wealth." But I refuse to move out of the home , refuse to work hard, refuse to put in an effort. Do you think I would get anything? :D Na..

Along with your prayers, a person needs to take an effort to try to change his/her ways, has to work hard. A person has to take a step towards HIM, because even HE (I guess) wants a sign of proof that you do mean what you say. Unless your thoughts, your words, aren't in sync with your actions, you don't get the maximum benefit out of it.

A Hadith which I would like to share with you sister: -

Anas (radi Allahu anhu) reported that a person asked Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam), “Should I tie my camel and have Tawakkul (trust in Allah for her protection) or should I leave her untied and have Tawakkul.” Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) replied, “Tie her and have Tawakkul.” (Hasan) [Jami At-Tirmidhi]

Hope it helps to an extent
Peace

Precious Star

You have to remember something. Prayer is communication with Allah SWT. It is not a form of voodoo. Your dua won't change Allah's will or destiny for you, nor will it change another person. Duas are heard but unless they are the same as Allah's will, they will be granted in Paradise, not Life.

Umm Shareef

Assalam aleikum,

Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa has provided us through Qu'ran and sunnah with incredibly comprehensive guidance about how we must live our lives, alhumdulillah. He has set out clear limits in the form of the shariah about how we must behave in order to ensure a peaceful and just society where families can live in safety alhumdulillah. The shariah is undoubtedly the most perfect legal system because it is divine. Our Creator has wisdom beyond our comprehension and knows what is best for us - it is not for us to question. Like every legal system (even the most useless man-made system), it includes a system of punishments for stepping over the mark. It has been said that some of the punishments used in Islam are out of date and harsh, but they have been proven over 1400+ years to be very effective deterrents and help to provide the safe and secure society that we all want when they are used as part of a fully Islamic system.

So to answer to the OP's question, punishments are given in Islam because Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa has commanded us to do so in certain cases, to help protect the fabric of society and deter others who may be thinking of sinning in the same way. We may also pray for the person that has done wrong, but the punishment itself is a key part of the juducial process, which is why in Islam they are often carried out before witnesses.

Precious Star

There aren't any punishments that must be done in front of witnesses. Let's nit confuse islamic rules with cultural practices.

Umm Shareef

There aren't any punishments that must be done in front of witnesses. Let's nit confuse islamic rules with cultural practices.

Assalam aleikum sister,

Please refer to Qur'an, Sura 24 (An-Nur), ayat 2:

"The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment."

If you think about it, administering such punishments in public strikes fear into the hearts of everyone witnessing it or even reading about it, reminding people of the of the incredible power of Allah subhanhu wa ta'alaa and to stay within the bounds that He has set. We should try not to question what Allah has ordained, including the punishments He has set for us when we go astray, even though we may not fully understand them. Allah has created us and knows what is best for us and we should focus on fully submitting to His will.

Last edited: