Im getting married!

Beck

Im new to this site.

Im hoping someone can advise me please.
Im getting married to my muslim fiance in November, and after reading as much as i can on Islam, i am wanting to convert in time.

As i have been raised a Christian, and am under the impression that Muslim men are permitted to marry Christian women, i dont see the rush to convert as yet. I would like to do as much research and discover more knowledge first.

Although i have a few questions regarding the up coming marriage.

Do we need to have a dowry/Mahr in place for the marriage contract? And if we dont - does this alter the commitment we make to eachother?

I have 2 children from a previous relationship, and although my fiance is fantastic with them, and stands as a wonderful father figure, my children idolise him in fact, when the time comes for my future husband and i to start a family of our own, how will this effect my 2 children i already have? As i dont want to impose that they follow Islam, although any children i have with my husband will of course be muslim. So Islamic values will be in place in our household. But my children now, are raised as Christians. Could they continue to be raised as Christians until they are ready within themselves to convert, if they wish to?

I am sure im sounding very clueless right now, and i apologise, but would really appreciate any help you can give.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Hello,
Welcome to the site ...

Try to read and research more about Islam ,you will discover many beautiful things ..Islam answers all the questions ....

enjoy your stay

revert2007

Love Fishing
sister all kids are born muslim..the parents deviate them..since now ur a muslim n ur future husband is muslim..plz raise ur children the muslim way...make ur kids to say the shahadah and teach them everything that u know....there are many people who can help u..i can share some stuffs for kids to know islam coz i hv started to collect islamic stories n materila for my son who is only 8 months old now.lol
plz raise ur kids as muslims.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Welcome.

I know a few revert sisters in similar circumstances. I can not emphasize enough how important it is to have one faith in a family. You can not have a house wherein a set of children want Christmas and will not attend masjid as well as a set of children who attend masjid and do not celebrate Easter or Christmas.
You have made the choice to marry a Muslim. You have to fulfill your obligations. A revert sister could not understand why her husband went out of town on Christmas as she decorated her house. Marriage is not a melting pot. I know a brother who married a Christian woman. He went to church camp for summer vacation. I spoke to several brothers at our masjid and told them to tell him to return to us immediately. His wife does not come to the masjid. Nor do his children..however, Insha'Allah they will.

I must be coming on strong. That is not my intent. Your question is very serious. I am attempting to give you a response that matches the intent of your question. Islam is more than a culture. Islam is serious business. Sister, in all honesty if you wish for your children to remain Christian it would be best for them to live with their father.

Learn more about our irresistible faith. Please bear in mind I am not attempting to be rude..I am being honest. Should you have question please ask..there are many on this site with knowledge.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Salaam,

Welcome.

I know a few revert sisters in similar circumstances. I can not emphasize enough how important it is to have one faith in a family. You can not have a house wherein a set of children want Christmas and will not attend masjid as well as a set of children who attend masjid and do not celebrate Easter or Christmas.
You have made the choice to marry a Muslim. You have to fulfill your obligations. A revert sister could not understand why her husband went out of town on Christmas as she decorated her house. Marriage is not a melting pot. I know a brother who married a Christian woman. He went to church camp for summer vacation. I spoke to several brothers at our masjid and told them to tell him to return to us immediately. His wife does not come to the masjid. Nor do his children..however, Insha'Allah they will.

I must be coming on strong. That is not my intent. Your question is very serious. I am attempting to give you a response that matches the intent of your question. Islam is more than a culture. Islam is serious business. Sister, in all honesty if you wish for your children to remain Christian it would be best for them to live with their father.

Learn more about our irresistible faith. Please bear in mind I am not attempting to be rude..I am being honest. Should you have question please ask..there are many on this site with knowledge.

Could not have said it better.