In the US, Gaza is a different war

warda A

Sister
:salam2:

No wonder most Americans do not understand a thing!
Some of the comments made by people just made me angry,what is wrong with people?

http://english.aljazeera.net/focus/war_on_gaza/2009/01/20091585448204690.html

In the US, Gaza is a different war
By Habib Battah

The mainstream US media has been careful to balance images of Gazan suffering with those of Israelis, leading to accusations it is not reflecting the unequal death toll [EPA]

The images of two women on the front page of an edition of The Washington Post last week illustrates how mainstream US media has been reporting Israel's war on Gaza.

On the left was a Palestinian mother who had lost five children. On the right was a nearly equally sized picture of an Israeli woman who was distressed by the fighting, according to the caption.

As the Palestinian woman cradled the dead body of one child, another infant son, his face blackened and disfigured with bruises, cried beside her.

The Israeli woman did not appear to be wounded in any way but also wept.

Arab frustration

To understand the frustration often felt in the Arab world over US media coverage, one only needs to imagine the same front page had the situation been reversed.

IN DEPTH

Latest news and analysis from Gaza and Israel

Send us your views and videos

Watch our coverage of the war on Gaza
If an Israeli woman had lost five daughters in a Palestinian attack, would The Washington Post run an equally sized photograph of a relatively unharmed Palestinian woman, who was merely distraught over Israeli missile fire?

When the front page photographs of the two women were published on December 30, over 350 Palestinians had reportedly been killed compared to just four Israelis.

What if 350 Israelis had been killed and only four Palestinians - would the newspaper have run the stories side by side as if equal in news value?

Like many major news organisations in the US, The Washington Post has chosen to cover the conflict from a perspective that reflects the US government's relationship with Israel. This means prioritising Israel's version of events while underplaying the views of Palestinian groups.

For example, the newspaper's lead article on Tuesday, which was published above the mothers' photographs, quotes Israeli military and civilian sources nine times before quoting a single Palestinian. The first seven paragraphs explain Israel's military strategy. The ninth paragraph describes the anxiety among Israelis, spending evenings in bomb shelters. Ordinary Palestinians, who generally have no access to bomb shelters, do not make an appearance until the 23rd paragraph.

To balance this top story, The Washington Post published another article on the bottom half of the front page about the Palestinian mother and her children. But would the paper have ever considered balancing a story about a massive attack on Israelis with an in-depth lead piece on the strategy of Palestinian militants?

Context stripped

Major US television channels also adopted the equal time approach, despite the reality that Palestinian casualties exceeded Israeli ones by a hundred fold. However, such comparisons were rare because the scripts read by American correspondents often excluded the overall Palestinian death count.

By stripping the context, American viewers may have easily assumed a level playing field, rather than a case of disproportionate force.

Take the opening lines of a report filed by NBC's Martin Fletcher on December 30: "In Gaza two little girls were taking out the rubbish and killed by an Israeli rocket - while in Israel, a woman had been driving home and was killed by a Hamas rocket. No let up today on either side on the fourth day of this battle."

Omitted from the report was the overall Palestinian death toll, dropped continuously in subsequent reports filed by NBC correspondents over the next several days.

When number of deaths did appear - sometimes as a graphic at the bottom of the screen - it was identified as the number of "people killed" rather than being attributed specifically to Palestinians.

No wonder the overwhelmingly asymmetrical bombardment of Gaza has been framed vaguely as "rising tensions in the Middle East" by news anchors.

With the lack of context, the power dynamic on the ground becomes unclear.

ABC news, for example, regularly introduced events in Gaza as "Mideast Violence". And Like NBC, reporters excluded the Palestinian death toll.

On December 31, when Palestinian deaths stood at almost 400, ABC correspondent Simon McGergor-Wood began a video package by describing damage to an Israeli school by Hamas rockets.

The reporter's script can be paraphrased as follows: Israel wanted a sustainable ceasefire; Israel needed to prevent Hamas from rearming; Hamas targets were hit; Israel was sending in aid and letting the injured out; Israel was doing "everything they can to alleviate the humanitarian crisis". And with that McGregor-Wood signed off.

Palestinian perspective missing

There was no parallel telling of the Palestinian perspective, and no mention of any damages to Palestinian lives, although news agencies that day had reported five Palestinians dead.

For the ABC correspondent, it seemed the Palestinian deaths contained less news value than damage to Israeli buildings. His narration of events, meanwhile, amounted to no less than a parroting of the official Israeli line.

In fact, the Israeli government view typically went unchallenged on major US networks.

The US media has been accused of prioritising Israel's version of events [EPA]
Interviews with Israeli spokesmen and ambassadors were not juxtaposed with the voices of Palestinian leaders. Prominent American news anchors frequently adopted the Israeli viewpoint. In talk show discussions, instead of debating events on the ground, the pundits often reinforced each other's views.

Such an episode occurred on a December 30 broadcast of the MSNBC show, Morning Joe, during which host Joe Scarborough repeatedly insisted that Israel should not be judged.

Israel was defending itself just as the US had done throughout history. "How many people did we kill in Germany?" Scarborough posed.

The blame rested on the Palestinians, he concluded, connecting the Gaza attacks to the Camp David negotiations of 2000. "They gave the Palestinians everything they could ask for, and they walked away from the table," he said repeatedly.

Although this view was challenged once by Zbigniew Brzezinski, a former US official, who appeared briefly on the show, subsequent guests agreed incessantly with Scarborough's characterisation of the Palestinians as negligent, if not criminal in nature.

According to guest Dan Bartlett, a former White House counsel, the Palestinian leadership had made it "very clear" that they were uninterested in peace talks.

Another guest, NBC anchor David Gregory, began by noting that Yasser Arafat, the late Palestinian president, "could not be trusted", according to Bill Clinton, the former US president.

Gregory then added that Hamas had "undercut the peace process" and actually welcomed the attacks.

"The reality is that Hamas wanted this, they didn't want the ceasefire," he said.

Columnist Margaret Carlson also joined the show, agreeing in principal that Hamas should be "crushed" but voicing concern over the cost of such action.

Thus the debate was not whether Israel was justified, but rather what Israel should do next. The Palestinian human tragedy received little to no attention.

Victim's perspective

Arab audiences saw a different picture altogether. Rather than mulling Israel's dilemma, the Arab news networks captured the air assault in chilling detail from the perspective of its victims. The divide in coverage was staggering.

For US networks, the bombing of Gaza has largely been limited to two-minute video packages or five minute talk show segments. This has usually meant a few snippets of jumbled video: explosions from a distance and a momentary glance at victims; barely enough time to remember a face, let alone a personality. Victims were rarely interviewed.

The availability of time and space, American broadcast executives might argue, were mitigating factors.

On MSNBC for example, Gaza competed for air time last week with stories about the economy, such as a hike in liquor sales, or celebrity news, such as speculation over the publishing of photographs of Sarah Palin's new grandchild.

Most US networks have reported exclusively from Israel [GALLO/GETTY]
On Arab TV, however, Gaza has been the only story.

For hours on end, live images from the streets of Gaza are beamed into Arab households.

Unlike the correspondents from ABC and NBC, who have filed their reports exclusively from Israeli cities, Arab crews are inside Gaza, with many correspondents native Gazans themselves.

The images they capture are often broadcast unedited, and over the last week, a grizzly news gathering routine has been established.

The cycle begins with rooftop-mounted cameras, capturing the air raids live. After moments of quiet, thunderous bombing commences and plumes of smoke rise over the skyline. Then, anguish on the streets. Panicked civilians run for cover as ambulances careen through narrow alleys. Rescue workers hurriedly pick through the rubble, often pulling out mangled bodies. Fathers with tears of rage hold dead children up to the cameras, vowing revenge. The wounded are carried out in stretchers, gushing with blood.

Later, local journalists visit the hospitals and more gruesome images, more dead children are broadcast. Doctors wrap up the tiny bodies and carry them into overflowing morgues. The survivors speak to reporters. Their distraught voices are heard around the region; the outflow of misery and destruction is constant.

Palestinian voices

The coverage extends beyond Gaza. Unlike the US networks, which are often limited to one or two correspondents in Israel, major Arab television channels maintain correspondents and bureaus throughout the region. As angry protests take place on a near daily basis, the crews are there to capture the action live.

Even in Israel, Arab reporters are employed, and Israeli politicians are regularly interviewed. But so are members of Hamas and the other Palestinian factions.

The inclusion of Palestinian voices is not unique to Arab media. On a number of international broadcasters, including BBC World and CNN International, Palestinian leaders and Gazans in particular are regularly heard. And the Palestinian death toll has been provided every day, in most broadcasts and by most correspondents on the ground. Reports are also filed from Arab capitals.

On some level, the relatively small American broadcasting output can be attributed to a general trend in downsizing foreign reporting. But had a bloodbath on this scale happened in Israel, would the networks not have sent in reinforcements?

For now, the Israeli viewpoint seems slated to continue to dominate Gaza coverage. The latest narrative comes from the White House, which has called for a "durable" ceasefire, preventing Hamas terrorists from launching more rockets.

Naturally the soundbites are parroted by US broadcasters throughout the day and then reinforced by pundits, fearing the dangerous Hamas.

Arab channels, however, see a different outcome. Many have begun referring to Hamas, once controversial, as simply "the Palestinian resistance".

While American analysts map out Israel's strategy, Arab broadcasters are drawing their own maps, plotting the expanding range of Hamas rockets, and predicting a strengthened hand for opposition to Israel, rather than a weakened one.

Habib Battah is a freelance journalist and media analyst based in Beirut and New York.

nighean

News In America

I've got news for everybody - Not only is the news regarding Gaza/Israel slanted in America, it is almost nonexistant! I watch the news every night on TV and, if I go to get a drink of water or blink my eyes, the spot about Gaza is over.... My friends and I were talking about this. If we went out where we live, knocked on doors and asked peoples' opinion about what was happening in Gaza - they WOULD NOT say "Oh, we agree with Israel and Bush!" They would simply say "Where? Never heard of it. Oh, is that them foreign terrorists over there?" The Vast majority of Americans are not even aware of what is happening in foreign countries, don't know, don't care. They are too concerned with the price of gas and the spiraling prices/loss of jobs here in America. I have learned just about all I know about Gaza in the past week and a half by surfing the net and asking my best friend, who is Kuwaiti. I certainly did not learn it from the media here in America. My viewpoint has drastically changed over the last week and a half too. I guarantee that Barak Obama was not elected because of his stand on foreign policy but because he promised to make economic changes after George Bush. What people overseas are seeing from the American media is being reported by the few to the masses that they want to keep in the dark - and the masses aren't complaining!

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

Its loathsome,the ignorance.Moreover Condoleezza Rice says Hamas is to blame for the attack and so the responsibility rests squarly on the shoulders of Palestinians?!Wow!The media all over the world doing the same.Like its a war of equals.No its no war.Its genocide,massacare.Gazans being holed up by Israeli terrorists and shot by sophisticated weaponary with no medicine or food supply or power(negligible).AKs against sophiticated weaponaries and Drones.Being cornored being bombed and shot from all side.Still Palestinians are to blame??Dude what the hell??

Hello Nighean,

It true, most Americans are content with their own complacency and affairs while others are being oppressed.

We don't need to throw a shoe to unveil the hyprocracy as the emperor stood naked. Research, study, read, be criticial, open minded, and you'll see how hypocritical the system is.

Those in power control the media.

Did you know that the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) & Homeland security spends more on defense than all the countries in the world combined!

Did you know that the DOD & Homeland security are the only two federal agencies not subjected to audit even though FFMIA legislation (since 1996) required ALL federal agencies to have external auditors check its books.

By the way, DOD & HS always fails it's annual audits. Congress has been complaining but nothing has been done. There goes taxpayers dollars.

nighean

Hello Nighean,

"It true, most Americans are content with their own complacency and affairs while others are being oppressed.

We don't need to throw a shoe to unveil the hyprocracy as the emperor stood naked. Research, study, read, be criticial, open minded, and you'll see how hypocritical the system is. "

I was told this a long time ago by someone who is a very, very conservative Republican. So, I have followed this advice. Unfortunately, it has had the opposite effect than what he intended!!! LOL!

Nighean

"It true, most Americans are content with their own complacency and affairs while others are being oppressed.

We don't need to throw a shoe to unveil the hyprocracy as the emperor stood naked. Research, study, read, be criticial, open minded, and you'll see how hypocritical the system is. "

I was told this a long time ago by someone who is a very, very conservative Republican. So, I have followed this advice. Unfortunately, it has had the opposite effect than what he intended!!! LOL!

Hey sometimes the opposite is just A-O-kay.....:SMILY259:

When Islam came, it started as a stranger....something unique...different..it set values, morals, respect for the family, worship for the One God of mankind, etc... while Arab pagans were burying their daughters, worshipping idols & other pagan figures..this idea was strange to the Arab pagans....So God says...give glade tidings to the stranger :)

nighean

Hello Nighean,

"There goes taxpayers dollars."

I think you also hit the nail on the head here. If the average American knew the truth about what was going on in Gaza and that it was our tax dollars funding it, they would be outraged. The problem is that the average American thinks that our dollars are going to fight terrorism, Gaza (if they know about it at all) included because that is what we are being told! It's not that Americans are just callous and don't care about others suffering. If we saw the real images from Gaza each night over our TV dinners, you would see a different response from the American public. It just blows my mind that I search the TV every night to find information about what is happening and there is almost nothing. It makes me sick at heart.

I think you also hit the nail on the head here. If the average American knew the truth about what was going on in Gaza and that it was our tax dollars funding it, they would be outraged. The problem is that the average American thinks that our dollars are going to fight terrorism, Gaza (if they know about it at all) included because that is what we are being told! It's not that Americans are just callous and don't care about others suffering. If we saw the real images from Gaza each night over our TV dinners, you would see a different response from the American public. It just blows my mind that I search the TV every night to find information about what is happening and there is almost nothing. It makes me sick at heart.

I take a different stand for the root cause of Gaza....if you study the Federal Reserve system (use the search function to see my post) then you'll understand that paper generated out of thin air is the problem for prolonging not only the war in Gaza, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, etc but robbing the American citizens of their money by imposing the Income Tax. You really can't sleep at night when you figure how monumental this problem is.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

one aspect that hasn't really been mentioned is that America's pro-israel stance is pushed very strongly by the country's evangelical christian lobby. republicans tend to be very sympathetic to the christian right and the christian right is very sympathetic towards israel. the republicans know that they can't win without the evangelical vote; so if they come out supporting Gaza, they will lose their base. with politics self preservation is key. not only are our tax dollars helping israel out, but regular churchgoers are donating money every sunday in churches across america that is intended to help out israel.

basically, they're receiving two sources of income not including the support from jews outside of israel.
:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

My beloved brothers do not get me started. I just got the FBI off my back. Let us go back to 1911. Please HumbleWun and Nyerekareem..get Taxhonesty on line. It is all connected. The New World Order. They planted AIDS..there is no economic crisis. They invented one.

I went to work..and no one said a word. They are so ignorant and arrogant. Their world is sex, food, football, basketball, and shoes. Keep it. The government is robbing them blind.

Earlier I wrote a post regarding the unknown paternity of the president elect. A young sister became upset and could not understand why I would attack the president elect. I was not. The point I was trying to make was this;
The powers that be gave the president elect his last name..one assumes it is Muslim. There are circulating rumors that his paternity is unknown. As his paternity is unknown he is Jewish by birth. He must abide by the rules of Jews. Thus, the powers that be in the guise of a black man really elected the first Jewish president.

And people are questioning why America is biased. The president elect is a Jew!!!

Please forgive me but I must stop and pray as my blood is boiling right now.

eemaan1

Salaam,

My beloved brothers do not get me started. I just got the FBI off my back. Let us go back to 1911. Please HumbleWun and Nyerekareem..get Taxhonesty on line. It is all connected. The New World Order. They planted AIDS..there is no economic crisis. They invented one.

I went to work..and no one said a word. They are so ignorant and arrogant. Their world is sex, food, football, basketball, and shoes. Keep it. The government is robbing them blind.

Earlier I wrote a post regarding the unknown paternity of the president elect. A young sister became upset and could not understand why I would attack the president elect. I was not. The point I was trying to make was this;
The powers that be gave the president elect his last name..one assumes it is Muslim. There are circulating rumors that his paternity is unknown. As his paternity is unknown he is Jewish by birth. He must abide by the rules of Jews. Thus, the powers that be in the guise of a black man really elected the first Jewish president.

And people are questioning why America is biased. The president elect is a Jew!!!

Please forgive me but I must stop and pray as my blood is boiling right now.

say what? he is jewish? where did you get that? d'yu know i always had my suspicions about him, just cudnt confirm it!

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

Its loathsome,the ignorance.Moreover Condoleezza Rice says Hamas is to blame for the attack and so the responsibility rests squarly on the shoulders of Palestinians?!Wow!The media all over the world doing the same.Like its a war of equals.No its no war.Its genocide,massacare.Gazans being holed up by Israeli terrorists and shot by sophisticated weaponary with no medicine or food supply or power(negligible).AKs against sophiticated weaponaries and Drones.Being cornored being bombed and shot from all side.Still Palestinians are to blame??Dude what the hell??

I understand in Islam women can be a judge in the court of law but not giving death sentence. This is because (I understand from this prof) they give birth to man and woman so they should not do something that contradict their motherly nature. Women like Condoleeza Rice and Livni (whatever her name - foreign minister of illegal state of Israel) should not have authorised such a massacre to invade and kills so many innocent children.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I read a lot. I get lost in my articles. I read an article on line about Obama's formative years. In this article it described how white females were recruited to become the mistresses of promising international leaders. Fiedel Castro has a daughter from such a union. She is living in NYC. Obamas mother was a recruit in the 1960's. The issue of his birth certificate is worth noting. One article stated his mother is listed as cuacasian. Rightly so. His father is listed as Africian. Problem is in the 1960's nomenclature the term would have been Negro.
The issue at hand thus becomes the Manchurian Candidate is Jewish by birth.
Forgive me for not pasting the links...at the time I did not think it would be important.
As a believing woman all I have is my word that indeed I read such an article.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Salaam,

I read a lot. I get lost in my articles. I read an article on line about Obama's formative years. In this article it described how white females were recruited to become the mistresses of promising international leaders. Fiedel Castro has a daughter from such a union. She is living in NYC. Obamas mother was a recruit in the 1960's. The issue of his birth certificate is worth noting. One article stated his mother is listed as cuacasian. Rightly so. His father is listed as Africian. Problem is in the 1960's nomenclature the term would have been Negro.
The issue at hand thus becomes the Manchurian Candidate is Jewish by birth.
Forgive me for not pasting the links...at the time I did not think it would be important.
As a believing woman all I have is my word that indeed I read such an article.

Sister, I will not be surprise if he is. Every American president always expected to take us for ride. By the way, I'm interested to read about this article, can you give me some links?

palestine

Servant of Allah
Ya rabb! how much longer must i cry? subhanaAllah! OH Allah join me with my brothers and sisters in Islam and in Palestine. Ameen ya rabal alameen. oh brothers and sisters in islam please make dua for me that Allah joins me with the brothers and sisters in Islam inshaallah.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Ya rabb! how much longer must i cry? subhanaAllah! OH Allah join me with my brothers and sisters in Islam and in Palestine. Ameen ya rabal alameen. oh brothers and sisters in islam please make dua for me that Allah joins me with the brothers and sisters in Islam inshaallah.

Hold on brother, it should end very very soon brother. Our prayers with you all brother.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

I'm not surprised at all and I dont' think anyone should be surprised.
Muslims never got a 'favorable' impression in U.S. News Media, and it only got worst after September 11.

Just think about how much coverage the Delhi bombing got and compare the coverage of Gaza! Amazing! How many people died in Delhi? 73? It was a one time thing, but more than 500 people died and it's still continuing.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

I'm not surprised at all and I dont' think anyone should be surprised.
Muslims never got a 'favorable' impression in U.S. News Media, and it only got worst after September 11.

Just think about how much coverage the Delhi bombing got and compare the coverage of Gaza! Amazing! How many people died in Delhi? 73? It was a one time thing, but more than 500 people died and it's still continuing.

Sorry brother, it should be Mumbai (former name Bombay) not Delhi. Mumbai was by an organisation claimed to be fighting for Islam. But Gaza massacre by a barbaric govt called zionist regime and it is 'bona fide' terrorism sponsored by US and UK and few other govt. You are absolutely right brother, 73 people died in Mumbai but draw respond from worldwide. But for Gaza, even UN is powerless against zionist. So long US and UK hold the veto power in UN zionist will legalised anything under the sky in the name of "self defence".