INVITATION TO RE-EXAMIN SHARI'AH THROUGH ANALYTICAL EYES

Marz87

Salam All,
I preface this by saying nothing I say here is conclusive, they are my experience and humble musings and conclusions, whatever proof I state I invite you to verify and investigate on your own Inshallah, Allah knows best. My entire upbringing I was taught that zina(adultery) was an offense punishable by stoning to death according to Shari'ah law, which I accepted on the premise that is derived from revelation and never thought twice about it. However today, a discussion with a friend prompted me to research more about this, which lead me to discover that this stoning punishment has no mention whatsoever in Quran, I checked myself(Surah an-Nur), compared the English translation against the Arabic text(I am an intermediate Arabic speaker). I noticed that the stoning aspect was included in the English translation though not in the holy verses, which deceptively includes the interpretation of scholars into the words of Allah, which was troubling to me because it is very manipulative and misleading that the interpretation of scholars, to the vast non-Arabic speaking majority who don't know any better, are propagated as mandate of Allah. Alhamdulillah I have the intellectual capability and linguistic ability to investigate on my own and clear a misconception that I've carried since childhood. Upon further investigation, I found that this ruling of stoning adulterers to death was established not through Qur'an but only 2 authentic Bukhari hadiths in which the the prophet PBUH allowed for adulterers to be stoned, 1 incident in which they were non-Muslims practicing laws of the Torah and he instructed that the justice set out by their faith be carried out. These incidents are tales narrated through third party hadiths, NONE OF WHICH THE PROPHET EXPLICITLY DICTATES THAT ADULTERERS ARE TO BE STONED TO DEATH, BUT MERELY ARBITRATED IN RARE ISOLATED INCIDENTS, and those hadiths give no background or insight into the seerah/circumstances/stories surrounding these incidents...which lead me to this unsettling thought: The grave punishment of stoning for adultery was established by scholars though there is NO VERSE IN THE QUR'AN DICTATING IT, but merely based on ambiguous hadiths which also do not dictate this punishment for the ummah, however scholars chose to incorporate this horrendous punishment in Shari'ah law which is universally accepted, and abused, propagating this violent and hateful image of Islam, whereas Islam is so peaceful and beautiful. Mashallah while reading Sur'ah an-Nur, which speaks about these issues, the prevalent theme and ayah that kept repeating is 'Allah is most-forgiving, Most Merciful', every verse that admonished indecent behavior was followed by a reminder of Allah's mercy, Subhanallah. This further lead me to question EVERYTHING I was taught about Shari'ah law which I accepted and was conditioned to believe, I've always had doubts that Shari'ah law is sometimes the interpretation of scholars which cannot conclusively be backed up by the one true source, Qur'an, and some aspects culturally skewed, fatwas established on mere opinion and accepted Arabian, or other, traditions etc but this discovery today really opened my eyes for the millionth time. I do not accept faith blindly but try to my limited capability to understand the logic, essence, sources etc for myself and draw my own conclusions.. we never stop learning about Islam, its a lifelong journey. Subhanallah, Allah knows best and my intention here today is to implore you all to please do the same. I know that in many societies it is taboo to question/challenge anything in the religion but I assure you that if your intention is pure and your path of discovery is one you hope will heighten your spirituality, your doubts will subside and your love of Islam will intensify. I am no scholar, but I/you can interpret and dissect the religion for yourself, as the very first revelation was 'read', and throughout the Qur'an Allah invites us to contemplate on his signs and revelations, and through deep exploration, analysis of our religion, we grow to love Islam more, which is the case for me. May Allah guide us all, God bless

SonOfAdam

Staff member
The scholars look at the Quran and Hadith to make judgement and they are the most knowledgeable and most qualified to make these judgements, if you look at their work you see how they formed their opinions- it is not guessing and conjecture and out of trying to abuse the religion. Sure you have some bad apples out there, but no one but ignorant people would qualify such person as a real scholar or good leader and these judgements will be strange and stand out compared to the real work of real scholars. Stoning is not mentioned in the Quran, it is in the Bible however. The punishment is death we know, it can be done through any means, firing line, hanging, etc. I believe. But in the time of the Prophet SAW guns were not invented. The act of killing someone for these sins is a purification for this deed, so when they die they will not be accountable for this on yomul kiyama or in the grave, Allah SWT knows best. We need to accept everything in Islam 100% and not just pick and choose what we like that fits into our current culture and modern lifestyle. Being Muslim means submitting yourself to the will of Allah SWT and accepting it all like it or not. If you look into the scholars works you will see that they are very respectable and trustworthy people inshallah. We by ourselves lack the knowledge and resources to start forming our own ideas on Shariah and even worse trying to modify it. To do this you will begin going astray and making your own sect. So be careful. Just leave these topics to the scholars. If you or someone else does commit zina (adultery), Allah forbid, and there are 4 witnesses to the act, then you can begin to worry about this. But until then I would not get stuck on these matters and focus on what Shariah really is, a way to protect people and live in peace. Shariah makes it very hard to convict someone of such an act on purpose because that is not it's purpose, to punish and kill people. It has a few punishments, like all penal codes have but the purpose of it is to scare people to not commit these acts to begin with. Allah SWT created us and he knows us best and what works to keep mankind on the straight path, so we should follow what Allah SWT gave us. Even if I was a disbeliever and the punishment was death, I probably still would not do it out of fear of the punishment. But really we do it out of fear of Allah SWT, not just the penal code. Even 100 years ago or so the penalty for counter-fitting money in the USA was death, so don't think Islam is harsh because it supports such punishment. We need to be proud of our religion and that we follow it 100% not be fearful of how we may look to hypocritical/one sided disbelievers. There are over 2 million people in jail and zina is so widespread in USA alone, if they would follow laws closer to Shariah they would not have these problems... you can cheat on your wife as much as you want and have 10 girlfriends, there is no law against this, subhanallah.

Marz87

Thank you for your feedback and yes I definitely agree that some of punishments/admonishments are set out as a warning to protect us, I could not agree more. I know that the conditions set out before one is convicted of adultery are practically impossible to implement etc etc, you seem to have not gotten the gist of my post. My aim here is not to simply criticize scholars, who yes I agree some are way more knowledgeable in certain matters such as seerah, fiqh etc. I shared this story not just to shed light on the zina issue(wanting to learn more about certain issues, is a personal catalyst that opens the door to seeking more knowlege) but the bigger picture that NO WE SHOULD NOT 100% accept Shari'ah law blindly because Shari'ah is man's interpretation of divine law. I accept the need for scholars, especially because there are some abiguities in the religion that sometimes can/need to be cleared by those more studied than us. I am not here to create fitnah, quite the contrary, I do not propogate defying/pushing the boundaries of Islam/"picking and choosing what you choose to accept", as Allah knows our intentions. I believe that if you are genuinely in doubt about certain issues or simply wish to strengthen your spirituality, we should not simply resort to accepting what is fed to us by scholars and books but to supplement that with our own understanding, as Allah has endowed us with the mental capability to do so. Though I have my own qualms about certain aspects in the religion, I accept completely what is dictated to us by Allah(his infinite wisdom of which we sometimes cannot fully comprehend), but that wholehearted acceptance of Allah's commands and laws is not tantamount to unequivocal acceptance and submission to Shari'ah law...it is not one and the same.

Last edited:

Marz87

Additionally, you said "I would not get stuck on these matters and focus on what Shariah really is, a way to protect people and live in peace", I disagree on that because alot of issues prevalent in the Islamic world are in countries ruled by so-called Shari'ah law, which is sometimes is used as a shield to justify oppression/discrimination/abuse of power/and protect the interests of those countries. I won't delve into that, which is a whole other rabbit hole, but these reasons are precisely why we shouldn't just accept Shari'ah law set forth by suppressive countries and rest assured in the notion that it is meant to 'protect us'(which proves contrary in some cases) but look beyond that and understand the logic behind those rulings, go straight to the divine source and verify for ourselves, if we have the capacity to do so. For example as a child if when our parents told us not to touch the stove, our instinctive response is 'why can't I touch it', to which we are explained that it will burn us, which makes sense and we accept that ruling on that premise, but why is it that when it comes to something magnanimous such as religion, which is a guide to life, we should limit ourselves to accepting that we simply should or shouldn't do certain things because they are 'haram' or 'halal, end of story, no questions asked. We should understand the reasons behind rulings, logical and spiritual wisdom behind them, as with any aspect of life. I cannot stress enough that Shari'ah law is not synonymous to Islam and I am in a position to make that statement because I have been studying Islam since primary school, graduated from an Islamic University, and lived most of my life in Shari'ah governed countries and can see the glaring discrepancies between Shari'ah law and Qur'anic/hadithic mandate, and through analysis, further understanding of things that I was conditioned to accept as haram and halal without really understanding the wisdom behind it, it renews my faith and brings me closer to Allah and I am forever in awe of his glory, and I wish that for everyone, its truly a beautiful and eye-opening journey. I'm not trying to spur some kind of revolution lol, just humbly encouraging my fellow Muslims to really strive to understand their religion comprehensively, with a pure intention. God bless :)

Last edited:

MeadowDust

Walaykumsalam,

As far as all the rulings are concerned there is always a beneficial and logical reason behind it. Shariah is divine law and not man made law. Can you explain the loop holes that you are talking about? And what about the works of hundreds of years? Since you said you have been studying Islam since young?

And the ruling of adultery is stoning for a married person, and flogging for unmarried. But since the sin is big, it could be the reason that some people who had done adultery came to the prophet pbuh to ask to be stoned. Brothers and sisters correct me if I'm wrong.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Assalamualiekum warahmatullahi wabrakatuhu,
Welcome to TTI.
This article should remove your doubt concerning the topic Inshallah:
http://audio.islamweb.net/audio/index.php?page=FullContent&audioid=5046

The ruling concerning the topic has been clearly outlined in the hadith of Abu Hurairah (radhiallahu anhu) as recorded in Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, etc:

Abu Huraira and Zaid b Khalid al-Juhani reported that one of the desert tribes came to Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) and said:

Messenger of Allah, I beg of you in the name of Allah that you pronounce judgment about me according to the Book of Allah. The second claimant who was wiser than him said: Well, decide amongst us according to the Book of Allah, but permit me (to say something). Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon ham) said: Say. He said: My son was a servant in the house of this person and he committed adultery with his wife. I was informed that my son deserved stoning to death (as punishment for this offense). I gave one hundred goats and a slave girl as ransom for this. I asked the scholars (if this could serve as an expiation for this offense). They informed me that my son deserved one hundred lashes and exile for one year. and this woman deserved stoning (as she was married). Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace he upon him) said: By Him in Whose Hand is my life. I will decide between you according to the Book of Allah. The slave-girl and the goats should be given back, and your son is to be punished with one hundred lashes and exile for one year. And, O Unais (b. Zuhaq al-Aslami), go to this woman in the morning, and if she makes a confession, then stone her. He (the narrator) said: He went to her in the morning and she made a confession. And Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) made pronouncement about her and she was stoned to death.

http://sunnah.com/muslim/29/38
And what has been reported authentically from prophet (peace be upon) is like what Allah said the Qur'an, because both are Wahi from Allah.
As Allah says in Glorious Qur'an:
وما آتاكم الرسول فخذوه وما نهاكم عنه فانتهوا
And whatever the Messenger has given you - take;
and what he has forbidden you - refrain from...

[Al-Hashr 7]

'Abdullah reported that Allah had cursed those women who tattooed and who have themselves tattooed, those who pluck hair from their faces and those who make spaces between their teeth for beautification changing what God has created. This news reached a woman of the tribe of Asad who was called Umm Ya'qub and she used to recite the Holy Qur'an. She came to him and said:

What is this news that has reached me from you that you curse those women who tattooed and those women who have themselves tattooed, the women who pluck hair from their faces and who make spaces between their teeth for beautification changing what God has created? Thereupon 'Abdullah said: Should I not curse one upon whom Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) has invoked curse and that is in the Book also. Thereupon that woman said: I read the Qur'an from cover to cover, but I did not find that in it. whereupon he said: If you had read (thoroughly) you would have definitely found this in that (as) Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, has said:" What Allah's Messenger brings for you accept that and what he has forbidden you, refrain from that." That woman said: I find this thing in your wife even now. Thereupon he said: Go and see her. She reported: I went to the wife of 'Abdullah but found nothing of this sort in her. She came back to him and said: I have not seen anything. whereupon he said: Had there been anything like it in her, I would have never slept with her in the bed.

http://sunnah.com/muslim/37/181

The ruling of Hadd punishment for zina has been established at the time of prophet (peace be upon him), during the reign of rightly guided caliphs, during the time Salaf (The first 3 generations whom prophet (peace be upon him) reffered as best 3), till today. How can someone even think that 100s and 1000s of Salaf, Muhadditheen, Fuqha never thought about such a thing and they have been carrying out such major decision just based upon opinions?

Imam ibn Qayyim rahimullah says in إعلام الموقعين عن رب العالمين :

وَقَالَ بَعْضُ السَّلَفِ: لِيَتَّقِ أَحَدُكُمْ أَنْ يَقُولَ: أَحَلَّ اللَّهُ كَذَا، وَحَرَّمَ كَذَا، فَيَقُولُ اللَّهُ لَهُ: كَذَبْت، لَمْ أُحِلَّ كَذَا، وَلَمْ أُحَرِّمْ كَذَا؛ فَلَا يَنْبَغِي أَنْ يَقُولَ لِمَا لَا يَعْلَمُ وُرُودَ الْوَحْيِ الْمُبِينِ بِتَحْلِيلِهِ وَتَحْرِيمِهِ أَحَلَّهُ اللَّهُ وَرَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ لِمُجَرَّدِ التَّقْلِيدِ أَوْ بِالتَّأْوِيلِ

Some of the Salaf used to say: Let each of you fear from saying, 'Allah has declared such and such lawful and such and such unlawful.' So then Allah says about him, 'You have lied, I did not declare such and such lawful and I did not declare such and such unlawful.' So it is not befitting for the one to speak with that which he does not know, saying that the clear revelation has mentioned it with lawfulness and unlawfulness whilst Allah has already declared it it lawful and Allah has already declared it unlawful due to mere Taqleed (blind following) or ta'weel (interpretation). [Translation taken from 'Speaking about Allah without knowledge', Maaz Qureshi, SunnahPublishing.net]

"Abu Bakr (radhiallahuanhu) said:

أَيَّةُ أَرْضٍ تُقِلُّنِي، أَوْ أَيَّةُ سَمَاءٍ تُظِلُّنِي، أَوْ أَيْنَ أَذْهَبُ، وَكَيْفَ أَصْنَعُ إِذَا أَنَا قُلْتُ فِي آيَةٍ مِنْ كِتَابِ اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ مَا أَرَادَ اللَّهُ بِهَا
What earth would give me place to live and what sky would shade me if I should speak about the Quraan with my opinion or by something I do not know.
Umar bin al-Khattab (radhiallahuanhu) said:
Beware of using your opinion in religious matters.

Ibn Abbas (radhiallahuanhu) said:
All that there is to follow and obey is the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger. Whoever makes any statement after these two according to his opinion, then I do not know if you'll find among his good deeds or among his sins.
[Above translation of narrations are taken from shaykh Jamal Zarbozo's Article "Speaking about Allah without knowledge", commenting on the saying of ibn Abbas (radhiallahuanhu) he says:
This is the style of Ibn `Abbaas that he made in many statements. Meaning that even if what you did was something good, looks like something good, you will find it among your sins.]

We clearly see care and precision of pious predecessor with regards to deen, how can they make such a big blunder? How can people who would hesitate to explicitly use haram and halal for things execute people upon mere opinion? This is simply not possible.

Last edited:

abu_amir

ASSALAAMUAILAYKUM may Allah make us accept Islaam whole heartedly. And don't not let our harts turned or be fooled by the disbelievers. Ameen.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

Welcome to TTI.

This discussion should move to the other section as this one is for introduce yourself (only?).

Also, Marz87 , I wish you will remove/change your avatar image: female image without using hijab is not very islamic.

Wa alaikum asalam Sister,

Sorry I have no firm opinion on this issue here specifically for me to share in this good post, but I'd like to share a general thought, I hope it isn't too boring. Allow me to refer to your wonderful statement, like you said sister, we continue learning things, no one can deny having gone through progress in faith throughout the months and years, my understanding of our faith, as well everything else, keeps on growing, from the progress of the personal experience Allah's evidence doesn't just get clearer it grows in size including more entities into it's spectrum, and what I keep on learning is the necessity of referring to scholars for knowledge, interpretation of that knowledge should always be within Islamic character, i.e. goodness, Major renowned scholars nowadays and from the past centuries are definitely inseparable organ of this body of Islam. Your line of reasoning is natural and makes sense, let's keep on learning and develop our experience, May Allah guide us on our path for knowledge and in the truth we May find abode.

Welcome to the site :)

Last edited:

zeeshu

Additionally, you said "I would not get stuck on these matters and focus on what Shariah really is, a way to protect people and live in peace", I disagree on that because alot of issues prevalent in the Islamic world are in countries ruled by so-called Shari'ah law, which is sometimes is used as a shield to justify oppression/discrimination/abuse of power/and protect the interests of those countries. I won't delve into that, which is a whole other rabbit hole, but these reasons are precisely why we shouldn't just accept Shari'ah law set forth by suppressive countries and rest assured in the notion that it is meant to 'protect us'(which proves contrary in some cases) but look beyond that and understand the logic behind those rulings, go straight to the divine source and verify for ourselves, if we have the capacity to do so. For example as a child if when our parents told us not to touch the stove, our instinctive response is 'why can't I touch it', to which we are explained that it will burn us, which makes sense and we accept that ruling on that premise, but why is it that when it comes to something magnanimous such as religion, which is a guide to life, we should limit ourselves to accepting that we simply should or shouldn't do certain things because they are 'haram' or 'halal, end of story, no questions asked. We should understand the reasons behind rulings, logical and spiritual wisdom behind them, as with any aspect of life. I cannot stress enough that Shari'ah law is not synonymous to Islam and I am in a position to make that statement because I have been studying Islam since primary school, graduated from an Islamic University, and lived most of my life in Shari'ah governed countries and can see the glaring discrepancies between Shari'ah law and Qur'anic/hadithic mandate, and through analysis, further understanding of things that I was conditioned to accept as haram and halal without really understanding the wisdom behind it, it renews my faith and brings me closer to Allah and I am forever in awe of his glory, and I wish that for everyone, its truly a beautiful and eye-opening journey. I'm not trying to spur some kind of revolution lol, just humbly encouraging my fellow Muslims to really strive to understand their religion comprehensively, with a pure intention. God bless :)
assalam o alaikum....i truely agree with ur views and ideas about discovering true theme of islam by studying and then pondering upon it.....and Allah Almighty Himself encourages us to do so when HE says "AFLAA TATAFAQAROONA ...."
well when u say we should make our own opinion i cauld not agree u more because here comes our basic FAITH that what is said in Hadith ad Quran is true without any doubt...it means we have to discover what is said and how it make sense to our limited understandings about religion and if we can't then we should wait and pray until Almighty reveals His knowledge onto us....May Almighty show us His right Path....

Marz87

Regarding my earlier post, I will not amend/retract any of my statements. I made it quite clear that they were based on my own experiences and anything I may have erroneously quoted (Qur'an or hadith) is to be verified/explored if one is interested. To be completely blunt, I have only had negative experiences whenever I strive to be a part of any Muslim organizations/forums/societies because my intentions are always pure but I always end up massively dissapointed on so many levels. This is obviously the wrong platform to seek out open-minded, logical, intellectual, objective Muslims. To the one who has the audacity to reprimand me "Marz87 , I wish you will remove/change your avatar image: female image without using hijab is not very islamic" I wish you would examine your judgmental and ignorant statements. The only thing you took away from my well-intentioned post is my lack of hijab, really...what does that say about you?? Very "Islamic" of you... Funnily enough I joined a Muslim organization here last year, I volunteered my time in organizing Islamic conferences/spreading knowledge and positivity, offered to give moral support to new Muslims, volunteered at soup kitchens distributing food to the poor, donated heftily to charity but despite all that, SIMPLY BECAUSE I DID NOT WEAR A SCARF, or my all-time favorite (and amusing) comment "You don't look like a Muslim" I was scorned and made to feel like a pariah...so I dissociated myself from that organization. It left such a sour taste in my mouth, yet I hesitantly decided to join this network despite my reservations...Low and behold, history repeats itself. i definitely am not victimizing myself, quite the contrary, all these experiences just open my eyes more to the hypocritical, judgmental, paradoxical, close-minded, ignorant and superficial nature of a vast majority of the 'ummah', its very saddening and shameful and reminds me why I stray away from it. With that I hereby dissociate myself from this forum and website. I leave with this final though, a previous status of mine that I hope will resonate "The best of you is the one who has the best character." - Prophet Muhammad P.B.U.H.(Hadith Bukhari) Seems we lost sight of this beautiful universal message. Compassion, respect, humility, and integrity have dishearteningly taken a back seat to superficial "pious" conduct. Outward good deeds, praying, fasting, covering, preaching, etc do not a good person make if your soul/character, the quintessential part of who you are, is rotten." Cheers...

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum @Marz87

Welcome to the site!

I'm not going to get into the discussion about the Shariah because I have so little knowledge regarding the issue that I leave it to people of knowledge.

Re feeling judged please remember that Islam is a perfect religion, Muslims are not perfect. And if you find someone who hurts you don't just run away. The famous Hadith of 'Aisha radhiallahu 'anha:

Saheeh al-Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 75, Number 404:

Narrated 'Aisha:
The Jews used to greet the Prophet by saying, "As-Samu 'Alaika (i.e., death be upon you), so I understood what they said, and I said to them, "As-Samu 'alaikum wal-la'na (i.e. Death and Allah's Curse be upon you)." The Prophet said, "Be gentle and calm, O 'Aisha, as Allah likes gentleness in all affairs." I said, "O Allah's Prophet! Didn't you hear what they said?" He said, "Didn't you hear me answering them back by saying, 'Alaikum (i.e., the same be upon you)?"

Jazakillahu khayran

zaman-gm

Salam Sister "Marz87
Please take it easy. May Allah Guide and Protect us all.
Dear Sister would you please make a simple Question that you wants to understand. Please write it.
Some time Question with seeker interpretation make some contradiction. It's better to Highlight simple Asking.
Please code your Asking in a Single line.
Wassaalm.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Dear sister Marz, as sister Um Muhammad said, we Muslims are not perfect but Islam is. May Allah reward you for all of your positive contributions to society. But if you ever do anything expecting appreciation or acceptance from people Muslims or not, you will constantly be disappointed and heartbroken. People in general are very hard to please, so please do whatever you do for Allah's sake and practice patience. Running away each time you are displeased with Muslims behavior and actions is not the answer. You should speak your mind and remind them to fear Allah if you feel disrespected.

Peace.