Is 3D Animation Prohibited ??

sajjad sharif

:salam2:
Assalamoalykum! I m new to this forum and had a query..as follows.. One of my cousin wants to take 3D animation as his profession; he is very interested in it ;and alhamdulillah he has a ample knowledge with gr8 languages like HTML; DHTML;VB etc; but he is doubtful whether 3D animation is prohibited in islam; before he takes up 3D animation as his profession he wants to know the views on this frm references frm the authentic sources or hadees..kindly do reply if u hav any idea related to it;i ve posted the same question in other forums as well but got very less number of replies hope here i would get a good responce inshallah.... :astag: irrelevant or unrelated replies neednt be posted..Jazakallah Wassalaam..

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Walaykum Salaam
I think he should stay on the safe side and consider 3D animation just like drawing.

Drawing living things (such as humans and animals) is prohibited:

"Those who depict images will be punished on the day of resurrection; and it will be said to them: 'Breathe soul into what you have depicted.'" [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

3D animation is on a computer instead of on paper, so techically you're not drawing the object (per-say). However, it's best to remain safe:

"Leave that about which you have doubt and adopt that which you are certain of." [An-Nasaa'ee]

Most of the time, 3D animation requires humans or animals. I would say that the brother shouldn't get into it unless he is CERTAIN that he'll only be drawing trees or other non-human/animal things (though that would be some boring 3D animation!).