is cosmetics that contains alcohol halal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fagie

the head of Mufti in my country did say something bout Alcohol which source comes from Petroleum is indeed halal to be use.
Such as spirit or ethanol for dressing wounds and etc.
Wallahu'alam

hassana elkoussi

:salam2:

Here's the fatwa from ISLAM Q &A

Cosmetic products that contain alcohol

Is it allowed to use beauty products (i.e body creams etc) that contain alcohol?

Praise be to Allaah.

It is safer not to use beauty products that contain alcohol, because of the difference of opinion as to whether intoxicating substances are naajis (impure) or not. If one is forced to use them and the amount of alcohol contained is very small, then it is OK, in sha Allaah.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

there have been numerous opinions about this subject. some say that cosmetics containing alcohol are halal because they aren't ingested. some say that it is makruh. and the last opinion is that alcohol containing cosmetics are haram. i think that you should pobably ask a shaykh at your masjid or on an islamic site that specializes in fatwa where they can provide you evidences from the quran and sunnah and you can see why they reached the verdict that they reach. insha'allah, you questions will be answered.
:wasalam:

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

It is best to stay away from products with alcoholic contents, since alcoholics are generaly Haram.
But some scholars if not most of them permitted alcohol for necessary medical use only.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
ya this is the onething that my mind refuses to beleive wat scholars says,may be cox in chemistry alcohol is not used as an intoxicant.
ans as far as i'v read from wur'an and sunnah no where it says that "anything in english which is called alcohol" will be haram,but it syas "anything which 'causes helllucination and loss of conciousness or loose sense is haram"
so it is in general we call ethanol as alcohol in english that which is used in all alcoholic beverages, but in chemistry alcohol is an organic group which contains the functional group -OH, either in conjugation with other organic groups like amides,ether,ester,aldehyde or acids. and some of the alcohols like methanol are so toxic that if somone drink it, he will die,so no one will use it as to get high.ans some other alcohols which are used in perfumes as vaporisers,are neither intoxicant,and some are so volatile that no one can really drink it nor the smell causes any hellucination.so using an alcohol with -OH group in a perfume, and all cox ethanol and other some alcohol are intoxicant, could not possib;y make that perfume haram.could it???
may be the scholars have just a literal meaning of ethanol=alcohol as in english wchich is not the case in most of perfumes,or they may be not having a knowledge of wat alcohol is in chemistry,and allah knows best.
thats wat my mind says,anywys i would also lov to know this thing in detail.

hassana elkoussi

ya this is the onething that my mind refuses to beleive wat scholars says,may be cox in chemistry alcohol is not used as an intoxicant.
ans as far as i'v read from wur'an and sunnah no where it says that "anything in english which is called alcohol" will be haram,but it syas "anything which 'causes helllucination and loss of conciousness or loose sense is haram"
so it is in general we call ethanol as alcohol in english that which is used in all alcoholic beverages, but in chemistry alcohol is an organic group which contains the functional group -OH, either in conjugation with other organic groups like amides,ether,ester,aldehyde or acids. and some of the alcohols like methanol are so toxic that if somone drink it, he will die,so no one will use it as to get high.ans some other alcohols which are used in perfumes as vaporisers,are neither intoxicant,and some are so volatile that no one can really drink it nor the smell causes any hellucination.so using an alcohol with -OH group in a perfume, and all cox ethanol and other some alcohol are intoxicant, could not possib;y make that perfume haram.could it???
may be the scholars have just a literal meaning of ethanol=alcohol as in english wchich is not the case in most of perfumes,or they may be not having a knowledge of wat alcohol is in chemistry,and allah knows best.
thats wat my mind says,anywys i would also lov to know this thing in detail.

As-salamu alaikom ,

The problem of alcohol here is not one of intoxication, it is rather a fiqh issue, as scholars regard alcohol as najas ( unclean, impure). I hope someone can provide you with the hadith on this topic.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
As-salamu alaikom ,

The problem of alcohol here is not one of intoxication, it is rather a fiqh issue, as scholars regard alcohol as najas ( unclean, impure). I hope someone can provide you with the hadith on this topic.

how possibly can an organic group of elements become najis in figh???:eek::eek:
well, actually i'v found out an answer to this question of mine in islamqa whicch states its not haraam unless it is intoxicatng, as intoxicating things are haram
and how come u say so easily that there is a hadith saying all alcohol are najis???????????????

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
As-salaamu'alaikum,

First to say something is najis you must have authentic proof, and there is no proof (authentic or inauthentic) on this matter.
The people who say that alcohol is najis quite often qoute a verse from the Qur'an in which alcohol is mentioned as rijz (filth) but in this verse gambling is also mentioned. How can gambling be najis? It can't, rather it is spiritually impure, not phsyically.
The Noble Shiekh ibn 'Uthaimin (rahimumullah) issused a fatwa concerning this

Question:

Is the external use of perfumes and scents which contain a certain amount of alcohol permissible to clean wounds? Answer:

The answer to this question requires clarification on two points: Firstly: Is Khamr unclean, or not?
On this question, scholars have differed…most of them say that the alcohol is physically impure, meaning that if it is spilt on the clothing or the body, it must be purified. There are also among the scholars those who say that alcohol is not physically impure, because physical impurity is a legal ruling, which requires evidence, and there is no evidence of that. And if it is not confirmed by legal evidence that alcohol is impure, then fundamentally, it is pure. Some may say that the evidence is in the Book of Allaah, the Most High:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ إِنَّمَا الْخَمْرُ وَالْمَيْسِرُ وَالأَنصَابُ وَالأَزْلاَمُ رِجْسٌ مِّنْ عَمَلِ الشَّيْطَانِ فَاجْتَنِبُوهُ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ​
"O you who believe! Khamr (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), gambling, Al*!-Ansaab, and Al*!-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are Rijs of Shaitaan's (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful." [Surah Al-Ma'idah 5:90]
And Rijs means filth, as Allaah, the Most High says:
قُل لاَّ أَجِدُ فِي مَا أُوْحِيَ إِلَيَّ مُحَرَّمًا عَلَى طَاعِمٍ يَطْعَمُهُ إِلاَّ أَن يَكُونَ مَيْتَةً أَوْ دَمًا مَّسْفُوحًا أَوْ لَحْمَ خِنزِيرٍ فَإِنَّهُ رِجْسٌ أَوْ فِسْقًا أُهِلَّ لِغَيْرِ اللّهِ بِهِ​
"Say (O Muhammad): "I find not in that which has been inspired to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maitah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork, etc.) for that surely is impure, or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah."" [Surah al-An'am 6:145]
That is, the above mentioned foods, the Maitah, pork or blood poured forth are all Rijs, meaning unclean. And the evidence that Rijs here means unclean is the saying of the Prophet (Sallallaahu alayhi wassalam) concerning the skin of the dead animal, that water purifies it, so his saying: “It purifies it” is a proof that it was unclean, and this is something well known to the scholars. But it may be said in reply to this that what is meant by Rijs here is spiritual unlceanness, not physical uncleanness, the of which is the Words of Allaah, the Most High:
رِجْسٌ مِّنْ عَمَلِ الشَّيْطَانِ​
"Rijs of Shaitaan's (Satan) handiwork." [Surah al-Ma'idah 5:90]
Additional evidence is the fact that gambling, Al-Ansab and Al-Azlam are not physically unclean, and the description (Rijs) here is all four: alcoholic drinks, gambling Al-Ansab and Al-Azlam… and if the description applies to all four of these things, then the ruling on all of them is the same.
Also, those who say that alcohol is not physically unclean have another proof from the Sunnah, which is that when the prohibition of alcoholic drinks was revealed, the Prophet (Sallallaahu alayhi wassalam) did not order the vessel to be washed clean of it. Likewise, the Companions emptied them out in the markets, and if it was unclean, they would not have emptied them out in the markets, because that would necessitate pollution being spread throughout them.
Secondly: Since it is clear that the Khamr is not physically unclean - and that is the most authoritative saying in my opinion – then alcohol is not physically impure, but spiritually impure, because the alcohol which inebriates is Khamr, according to the words of the Prohpet (Sallallaahu alayhi wassalam):
كُلُّ مُسْكِرٍ خَمْرٌ​
“Everything which inebriates is Khamr.”
And if it is Khamr, then its useas a beverage or a food , by being mixed with certain food to give flavour to it is clearly forbidden by the Book and agreement of the Scholars. But as for use for other things, such as cleansing bacteria and the like, it is a matter of opinion, and whoever avoids it is more prudent… but I cannot say that it is forbidden, though I do not use it myself, except when necessary, such as sterilising wounds and such likes.

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen Fatawa Islamiyah, Vol. 2, p26-28, DARUSSALAM.

May Allah guide us all to that which is best in this life and the next, ameen.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
As-salamu alaikom ,

brother,here is the answer i told about b4. this clearly states that the scholars mention the term ALCOHOL TO ETHANOL IN GENERAL as in english language,but in chemistry there are thousands of ALCOHOLS. so named alcohols which are not intoxicating is not haram as said by this sheikh.
Q: I have been advised not to use Listerine, a kind of mouthwash, because it contains some form of alcohol. However, if the kind of alcohol it contains is not an intoxicant, is there some other reason for its prohibition or would it be permissible to use it?

A: Praise be to Allaah.

If the alcohol which this mouthwash contains is not intoxicating, then it is ok. to use it, so long as it is not harmful, because what is haraam is only that which is intoxicating.

Shaykh Sa’d al-Humayd.

In this case we should look at the drink as a whole: if a lot of it causes intoxication then a little of it is haraam.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

"Of that which intoxicates in a large amount, a small amount is haram"
(Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi)

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
To put alcohol on is not a case of intoxication, unless it was severely strong in smell.
So avoid that whole side of things and just focus on the issue of alcohol being pure/impure, and as I said before it is clear from the Qur'an and Sunnah that alcohol itself is pure and there is no evidence to say it is najis.
No one can just come along and say something is najis becuase they 'think' so. ook at what some scholars say about things like vomit, semen, blood (other than menstruation), they assume these things are najis. Vomit is pure, the Prophet (sallAllhu 'alaihi wasalam) once vomited and then made wudu, which shows it is mustahab to make wudu after vomiting but not fardh as there was no command to do so. Semen, the Prophet (sallAllahu 'alaihi wasalam) used to pray in garments on which was semen as 'Aishah (radiyAllahu 'anha) said she used to scrape the semen off his garments with her nails and then he would pray in them, if it was najis then she would have washed it out. And the human in general is considered pure, how could a human be considered pure if semen was najis seeing as a human originally comes from semen?! As for blood, it is reported that 'Umar (radiyAllahu' anhu) once prayed while suffering from stab wounds and al-Hasan al-Basree who observed this said 'The Muslims continue to pray even when wounded'. It is considered mustahab to make wudu after bleeding, but again no command was given so it can not be considered fardh.

I hope this helps, this is an issue of fiqh but in the light of the Qur'an and Sunnah things are made easy.

Allahu'alam.

Status
Not open for further replies.