Is Eternal Punishment for Finite Sins Justified?

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:

I hope this post finds everyone in the best of health and 'iman in sha' Allah : )

[h=2]Is Eternal Punishment for Finite Sins Justified?[/h]
By Brother Kashif Zuberi

God is Just, and He will reward the doers of good with paradise and the doers of bad with Hell in the hereafter, some of whom will remain in it ‘forever’. However some people question the concept of eternal punishment in hell fire. They claim that an eternal punishment for finite number of sins is not justified.
Although there is a minority opinion among muslim scholars who claim that the punishment in hell fire will end for all and the ‘forever’ is used in the context of the life of the hereafter and not eternity , the vast majority of scholars take it literally, understanding that the punishment in hell will last forever for the rejectors of truth, and will not end as per text of Quran and Sahih Hadith.
So now the question arises, as to how can God punish someone forever for a finite number of sins committed by the person. Is this justified?
In order to answer this question, let us answer a more basic question first – Who will enter hell fire? The question of everlasting hell fire is problematic for those who answer this question incorrectly, as they think that according to Islam all non-muslims will enter hell fire. However this is not true. God clearly says in the Quran
And never would We punish until We sent a messenger [Quran 17:15]
So the punishment of hell fire is only for those to whom the message of Islam has been conveyed clearly, along with its evidences and the warning of eternal hell fire has also been conveyed to them. Yet, after realizing the truth of Islam, if they still reject it out of arrogance or for material gain, then the punishment of hell fire is completely justified as they have willingly taken the punishment on themselves out of their arrogance for some immediate material pleasures.
As for those to whom the message has not been delivered, they will be tested for their obedience by God Himself. Those who obey God will enter paradise. As for those to disobey God, while they hear His command directly, will have chosen the hell fire for themselves. The following narration by the prophet is the evidence for it.
Anas said: the Messenger of God (PBUH) said: “Four (kinds of people) will be brought forth on the Day of Resurrection: the infant, the insane, the one who died during the period between two prophets (indicating the message did not reach them) and the very old man. All of them will speak in their own defence, then the Lord, may He be blessed and exalted, will say to a neck of Hell, ‘Come forth!’ and He will say to them, ‘I used to send Messengers to My slaves from amongst themselves. Now I am the Messenger of Myself to you. Enter this (i.e., the Fire).’ Those who are decreed to be among the doomed will say, ‘O Lord, how could we enter it when we are trying to escape it?’ And those who are decreed to be among the blessed will rush to enter it. And God will say: ‘You would have been more disobedient towards My Messengers.’ So those will enter Paradise and those will enter Hell.” Narrated by Abu Ya’laa, 4224. There are corroborating reports which were mentioned by Ibn Katheer in al-Tafseer, 3/29-31.

Source
:jazaak:

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaamualaikum,
Jazakallah khair for sharing the article.
But is it possible to prove the title of the thread logically? Because I was asked the very same question a month ago and I managed to give a partially acceptable answer, I guess. Allah SWT knows the best.

Peace

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Assalaamualaikum,
Jazakallah khair for sharing the article.
But is it possible to prove the title of the thread logically? Because I was asked the very same question a month ago and I managed to give a partially acceptable answer, I guess. Allah SWT knows the best.

Peace
Wa 'alaikumassalam warahmatullah,
Indeed Allah knows best and He is Most just.Also if you can remember an ayah from Surah Ad Dukhan
Then watch for the Day when the sky will bring a visible smoke.
Covering the people; this is a painful torment.
[They will say], "Our Lord, remove from us the torment; indeed, we are believers."

How will there be for them a reminder [at that time]? And there had come to them a clear Messenger.
Then they turned away from him and said, "[He was] taught [and is] a madman."
Indeed, We will remove the torment for a little. Indeed, you [disbelievers] will return [to disbelief].[44:10-15]

My brother,if someone spent their whole lives in disbelief,there is no guarantee that they will not leave it when given eternal life(by induction) and in above ayah we see a perfect example of how humans are,how forgetful.When a little while we are not concsious of ourselves we fall into error!What about eternal life?!
I heard in Juz 'amma tafseer of Br Nouman Ali Khan ,that the name "insaan" whenever used for humans,is always used when making humans realise their mistakes like in Surah Al Abasa,"Qutilal insaanu maa akfarah","Cursed be human,how disbelieving is he!"
The word insaan comes from root which has meaning forgetfulness and the one who is attracted to things around,thus connoting a meaning,one who becomes forgetful by being attracted to things around!
Khayr indeed Allah knows best.