Is Islam a sensual religion?

R

rosiee

I've read that in Islam listening to music can be a distraction from God. I guess a flower can also be some distraction. If it is, then does this mean God is upset somehow that humans forget about him when they are distracted. Perhaps being distracted is not good for the person, and it's not so much how God reacts, if he reacts at all. In my religion, sensuality is important. Music, incense, icons, wine, reading a good book, reciting the rosary, holy water, then can actually heighten ones awareness of the spiritual. I suppose so can drugs, he he, but I won't go there...

prostestants reacted to this sensuality and pushed for purity...Is there such a thing as purity? I know I ask a lot of questions, I'm just trying to learn...

When your mind is distracted and thinking other things you can never pray whole heartedly. Imagine If you were hungry for 3 days will you be thinking about music then or only how to get something to eat. That is the passion our lord requires when one prays. Total concentration.Wine is alcohol. Yes they say in heaven there will be wine but not the type which is on earth which intoxicates.Anything that intoxicates and makes you make wrong judgement is bad. How many people you find who are alcoholics in the west. Reading is a required thing in ISLAM. Allah say in the holy quran that O man gain knowledge. The importance of pen is also written. So reading and writing is very Imp.

Object of Worship
1 Judaism -worship one Supreme God known as God of israel
2.Christianity- Worship three god heads under the one God -Trinity
3 Islam- The one Supreme Allah. The God of all mankind

Abrahams legitimate sons
1 Judaism- Isaac
2 Christianity
3 Islam- Ishmail and Isaac

Son of sacrifice
1 Judaism- Isaac
2 Christianity- Isaac
3 Islam- Ishmail

Jesus(pbuh)
1 Judaism- Do not recognize him as prophet
2 Christianity- begotten son of God
3 Islam-Prophet Of Allah( God)

Trinity
1 Judaism- No such doctrine
2 Christianity- Believe in it
3 islam- No such doctrine

Original Sin
2 Christianity- Believe in it
3 Islam-No such doctrine

Atonement of sin through the blood of jesus(pbuh)
1. Judaism-No such doctrine
2.Christianity- believe in it
3 Islam- No such doctrine. Punishment or reward based on ones deeds

Jesus(pbuh) was killed in the cross
1 judaism- No such doctrine
2Christianity- believe in it
3 Islam- Jesus was not killed. Believe in the ascension of Jesus(pbuh)

God incarnate
2 Christianity- believe in it
3 islam- no such doctrine

Resurrection of Jesus
1Judaism- Do not believe
3 Islam-He was not killed. Allah will return him to fulfil his mission as a prophet of Islam.

Adam and Eve and the fruit of the forbidden tree
1 Judaism- serpents temps Eve who is responsible for the sin
2 Christianity- same as judaism
3 Islam-Satan temps both and both are responsible for the Sin

Were Adam and Eve forgiven by God
1 Judaism- No
2 Christianity- No the concept of original sin
3 Islam- Yes, Allah forgave them after they repented.

Does God need to rest
1 Judaism- Rested on the 7th day after the creation of the heavens and Earth
2 Christianity- Same as judaism
3. Islam- God does not need to rest

Aaron fashioned the golden calf
1 Judaism- believe by them
2. Christianity- believe by them
3. Islam- Quran says Aaron (pbuh) was a prophet, rejects such notion.

Abraham weds his Sister sarah
1 Judaism- believe by them. Genesis 20:12
2. Christianity- believe by them
3 Islam- No such believe

Birth of females a double pollution
1Judaism- believe in it. Leviticus 12:15
3Islam- No such belief

Charity
1 Judaism- No obligatory charity
2 Christianity-No obligatory charity
3 Islam- Obligatory Charity- zakah

Fasting
1 Judaism- Allow to have some food/ drink
2 Christianity- Allow to have some food/ drink.
3 Islam- No food or drink during the period of fasting.

God's Quality
A Deceiving God
1. Judaism
2 Christianity- jeremiah 20:7
3 islam- No such qualities attributed to God.

A God murders
1. Judaism- 1 Samuel 6:19
2 Christianity- Isaiah 42:13
3 Islam- No such qualities attributed to God

God temps man
1. Judaism- Genesis 21:1
3 Islam- no such qualities attributed to God

A repenting God
1Judaism- Exodus 32:14
2 Christianity- 1 Samuel 15:3.5
3 Islam- No such qualities attributed to God

A hissing God
1. Judaism-
2 Christianity- Isaiah 5:26, 7:18
3 Islam- No such qualities attributed to God.

God needs rest
1 Judaism- Exodus 31:17
3 Islam- Allah ( God) feels no fatigue (12:255)

God begets sons
Jesus(pbuh)
1 Judaism -no such belief
3 Islam- no such doctrine

Jacob
1 judaism- Exodus 4:22
2 Christianity- Exodus 4:22
3 Islam- no such doctrine

David
1 Judaism- Believe in it
2 Christianity-Psalms 2:7
3. Islam- No such doctrine

Incest
Between a father and daughter
1 Judaism- Genesis 19:33-35
2 Christianity- same belief
3 Islam- There is no reference to any account/ story involving incest or adultery

Between son and mother
1 Judaism- Genesis 35:22
3 Islam- There is no reference to any account/ story involving incest or adultery

Between brother and sister
1 Judaism- Samuel 13:5-14
3 Islam- there is no reference to any account / story involving incest or adultery

R

rosiee

wine is my holy drink

thank you for your thoughts

a flower and vanilla ice cream can intoxicate me. I don't think this is bad and im not saying you think so either. ordinary life can be both intoxicating and dull but when something as simple as a glass of wine brings pleasure and happiness then I say drink more but in moderation. love in moderation, food in moderation, religion in moderation, music in moderation, sadness in moderation, etc, etc, etc

dear sister I am sorry to say but can i ask you a question are you really looking to find the difference between The Three religion or are you here to talk about alcohol and flower etc. As a teacher you know that till you dont learn the basic you should not go and search for things which you dont understand right now. Please i would say please read the quran . May the lord guide you.Your muslim sister.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum Basicofislam,

You posted the following:

Jesus(pbuh) was killed in the cross
1 judaism- No such doctrine
2Christianity- believe in it
3 Islam- Jesus was not killed. Believe in the ascension of Jesus(pbuh)

Actually, God Almighty mentioned that the Jews truly believed that the were responsible for the death of Jesus Christ [peace be upon him]. Please read verses 153-158 of Chapter 4 [an-Nisa'] of the Qur'an, especially verse 157.

Best regards

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Well according the jewish scriptures we are talking about if he died on the cross. We are not saying that they did not say we killed Isa(pbuh).

cause even in the Christain religion there are contradictions about jesus(pbuh)
Mark 15:21 says he was put on the cross
while peter 2:24 says he was put on the tree

Submitter

:salam2:

thank you for your thoughts

a flower and vanilla ice cream can intoxicate me. I don't think this is bad and im not saying you think so either. ordinary life can be both intoxicating and dull but when something as simple as a glass of wine brings pleasure and happiness then I say drink more but in moderation. love in moderation, food in moderation, religion in moderation, music in moderation, sadness in moderation, etc, etc, etc

in‧tox‧i‧cate - to affect temporarily with diminished physical and mental control by means of alcoholic liquor, a drug, or another substance, esp. to excite or stupefy with liquor.

The problem is "something as simple as a glass of wine" often leads to more than just pleasure and happiness. The prohibition on intoxicants is simple in Islam - being intoxicated "diminishes physical and mental control". You can find more detail at the following link:

Why is alcohol (and intoxicants) prohibited in Islam?

rosiee said:
religion in moderation

For Muslims, Islam is a way of life. Islam IS their life. From the minute we wake up to the time we go to sleep, we act according to the high standard of morality Allah has set out for us in the Qur'an. We try to be the best Muslims we can be at all times. Religion in moderation doesn't work for us. It wouldn't make sense for us to be a good Muslim on Monday, but then go and have a few pints on Tuesday. There is wisdom behind every single prohibition Allah has ordered, and wisdom behind every single obligatory act. Who knows more about us than our creator? There is not a single law in Islam that goes against the human race. Every single law is for the benefit of mankind, and I'd challenge anyone to find one that is harmful to Allah's creation.

rosiee said:
sadness in moderation

Why would one want to choose to have a little sadness in their lives? :confused: I would choose to have NO sadness in mine. Five times a day I ask Allah to keep me and my family happy for the duration of this short life and grant us what we all desire in the Hereafter.

I'm a little confused at what you're trying to get at to be honest. I've tried to respond to some points but I think the reason we find your questions a little difficult to answer is because they are quite broad and ambigious! If you can be a little more specific in what you are trying to ask inshallah we will be able to help further :)

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Hello,

You may find the following an interesting read:

Islam, the Religion of Ease and Moderation

Allah, the most Glorified and Most High, is the sole creator of ALL mankind and therefore knows his nature more intricately than any of mankind.

Allah, has therefore chosen for us a religion best suited to the nature of mankind, a religion that goes neither to the Extremes of hardship nor of laxity, but instead provides a middle path; in other words, a religion of ease.

Allah, most high stated in the Quran:

"Allah intends for you ease, and does not want to make things difficult for you" [2:185];

"Allah does not want to place you in difficulty" [5:6].

Such easiness is well explained in the hadeeth reported by Abu Hurairah, radiya Allahu 'anhu, that the Prophet, salla Allaahu 'alaihe wasallam, said, "Religion is easy..." [Bukhari], he also said; "The best of your religion, is the easiest." [Ahmad]

The easiness of this religion was put into practise by the best of humanity, the one who came to deliver the message, as Allah, subhanahu wata'aala, said;

"Verily there has come unto you a Messenger from amongst yourselves, it grieves him that you should suffer any difficulty, he is anxious for you, for the believers he is full of pity and merciful" [10:128]

Therefore a middle way is always taken. Patience is one of the greatest virtues a Muslim can have.

"And verily, whosoever shows patience and forgives, that would truly be from the things recommended by Allah.'' (42:43)

The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said,"Allah shows compassion only to those among His slaves who are compassionate".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said, "The strong man is not one who is good at wrestling, but the strong man is one who controls himself in a fit of rage.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

marildu

I'm a little confused on the question. In our worship there are no icons or music etc. But appreciating what Allah swt has put on this earth isn't something abominable. Like say a flower or ice cream I suppose.
I think that appreciating the nature that Allah has put on to this earth has strengthened my iman (faith). There's also nothing wrong with meditation.
I'm not quite sure what the practice of "reciting the rosary" is but in Islam we do practice something called "dhikr" which is reciting the attritbutes of Allah swt and other various phrases. Some people do use rosary type beads for this, but it is better to use the fingers. But then emphasis is on the words, not the beads.

I believe it is good to appreciate what has been given to us by Allah and to be grateful and praise Him. Like Masboot said this is a religion of moderation. It is good to enjoy this life in halal ways so long as we do not forget our creator. We are allowed to be happy with our lives on this earth. And we also must not forget that this life is not permanent, and we should focus on our goals.

R

rosiee

too many laws in religion is not good

you make a lot of sense;
here are some more of my thoughts on moderation in religion...
jesus preached against laws and preached a love for others. unfortunately my church is too caught up in laws and has at times turned away from the message of the gospels..having dogma or doctrine is good as long as it is a means to an ends and is not the entire framework of religion

jesus fulfilled the old law and set forth a practicing faith that is not defined by "do nots"

he was a practicing jew and understood that laws and rules have importance but that one can let go of them once in awhile...

there is a buddhist saying that is helpful in this regard: religion is like a boat in life--it takes you across a river but then it has to be abandoned when one has reached the bank of the river

Khadijah

Hello,

I don't think Jesus preached against laws. Didn't Jesus say this:

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you. Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven, but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:18,19.

I agree that Christians have turned away from the Gospels, but this is not what Jesus preached. Laws are supposed to be the framework of religion. They show human beings how to live a righteous life. By following them, we will be able to enter Paradise (inshallah), which is our final goal. As Muslims, we try to live by the laws of Allah, we don't change something if it doesn't suit us.

Because other religions have changed and adapted so many of their laws to suit their wants and desires, the definition of moderation has changed also. What is considered moderate today, would have been considered blasphemous, say a hundred years ago (This is why I say my way of life is moderate, but others see it as extreme). As a result, look at western society. Families have disinigrated, crime skyrocketed, etc. Islam does not change and adapt to the times, so it seems that I may be more of a true follower of Jesus than a lot of Christians are, does it not?

Peace, Khadijah

IMAM

quite true sister everything has got suit `their` needs and wants..a decade or two ago gays were called all a sort of name .but today it a measure of free society not to mention being labeled homophobic...it a mission of futility to justify to someone who whats bad today is good tomorrow.........

R

rosiee

moderation means not adhering to every law or rule

there has to be room for more than laws and codes in religion...
we are not born for instance with an inclination to pray 5 times a day. or fast, etc..I think the buddha (my brother is buddhist) preached against this kind of asceticism, and so did jesus..therefore, because we are not naturally religious creatures-- by far-- we need to be less of our rigid religious selves. We are spiritual and physical creatures and that is why i nurture both in my life.

Moderation means just that..that there are no extremes...you live a life that balances religion with what is perhaps not religious or secular..not all the time of course but that you are open to more than just doctrine. Islam it seems has a long code of do's and dont's. im sure the list is helpful in daily living but I reject literalism and puritanism

samiha

---------
Staff member
I don't agree with your anology. you see, Islam believes in ALL the prophets and we believe that they were all Muslims, meaning they submitted to God. But you see, how can you leave religion aside? Religion is life!! So it's like saying, 'yes God, you gave me a life, a brain, continueing blessings, but I don't want to thank you for all that every day, just when I feel like it. I acknowledge You are great, but I don't want to thank you like you have given me your blessings.'

We are born innocent, plus lol. do you expect a baby to do math when they are born, or how about clean themselves and thier room? Nope, cuz they are helpless at that stage, religious responsibility increases with age and understanding. Just like a baby grows and acknowledges their responsibilities in life.

No offence, just opinion.

Kayote

:salam2:

there is a buddhist saying that is helpful in this regard: religion is like a boat in life--it takes you across a river but then it has to be abandoned when one has reached the bank of the river

I cannot understand how a budha would be pleased if his slaves prayed to him & then said 'adios' when the problem was solved. This is exactly what many many non-muslims & muslims do today. They start believing in God the moment they are suffering a hardship & as soon as the problem is solved, they turn their back to the same God who helped him. They donot even understand that God knows everything about them (Past & future) & God may have left them a chance to redeem themselves & find God while they were suffering.

we are not born for instance with an inclination to pray 5 times a day. or fast, etc..

The 5 prayers are their for our guidance. One of their many purposes to help us 'stay on the right path'. We are born with in inclination to pray to God. Look at history, since the start of mankind, they have prayed for God. Even when they shifted from God, they went to other thing like praying to Fire, Earth etc.

I honestly believe, its our very nature that we seek God (Allah).

Moderation means just that..that there are no extremes...you live a life that balances religion with what is perhaps not religious or secular..not all the time of course but that you are open to more than just doctrine. Islam it seems has a long code of do's and dont's. im sure the list is helpful in daily living but I reject literalism and puritanism

Islam is a perfect religion as it should be if it is the true religion in the eyes of Allah (SHW). God knows of everything from the past to the future. God cannot be so short sighted to send something that will not be applicable in 50-500,000 years time.

The rules set in Islam are their for a purpose & will forever hold true until Allah wishes them too. & that is where Islam is so different to Christianity. Christianity will keep on changing simply because people (Priests etc) wish to keep it 'upto date'.

:wasalam:

rguyah

Rosie...

Hmm... Rosie seems to instigate endless and pointless discussion. Let not people forget... Jews live for this life and not the hereafter. They love the wine as she states so clearly... it helps them forget the Creator. Don't forget that the Hebrews questioned G-d so much that He made things difficult on them because they 'asked' for it. Stop calling this person "sister"... she's probably upon a glass or two of wine when she writes her post of instigation. Remember, the Muslim lives life not for this world but for Jannah...