is it *salaam alaikum* or *as salaamu alaikum*?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

i thought both mean the same. but when i write salaam alaikum to muslim bros and sis' when forwarding Islamic msgs, i am replied tht for muslims we shd say *as salaam u alaikum* as for non-muslims (especially christians) we use salaam alaikum.

very confused...

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
Assalamualaikum brother

I think both mean the same.AS salamu alaikum has the word al in the beginning which makes it definite.For eg baitun means house and al baitu means "the house".Regarding the non muslims there is difference of opinion among the scholars whether we should wish them Salaam or not.

There is a hadith which i would like to share

It was reported that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the Jews greet you, they say ‘Al-saam ‘alaykum (may death be upon you),’ so respond by saying ‘‘alayk (and also upon you).’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5902; Muslim, 2461).

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam Alaikum

Assalam alaikum...here 'As' means 'the'....like al-qama...the moon...the definite article ....nothing else
so ultimately assalam alaikum and salam alaikum,both are okay to say...and Allah knows the best.

the thing you are referring to is...saam alaikum....the Jews used to greet the muslims.
saam alaikum means....curse upon you....so Prophet SAWS said that when a non muslim give you saam alaikum......you should not curse him back...just reply him with wa alika/wa alikum.....means same to you....we muslim dont want to make our toung dirty...and Allah SWT knows the best.

Jazakallahu Khairan
walaikum assalam....walauk salam...same here bro....

Fee amanillah

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
To be accurate, the greeting to fellow Muslims is Assalaamu Alaykum as everybody knows. As for "Salaamun Alaykum", it may be used for Muslims or non-Muslims. Here is why:

"And when those come to you who believe in Our verses, say, "Salaamun Alaykum (Peace be upon you). Your Lord has decreed upon Himself mercy: that any of you who does wrong out of ignorance and then repents after that and corrects himself - indeed, He is Forgiving and Merciful." (6:54)

And

"[Abraham] said (to his father), "Salaamun Alayka (Peace be upon you). I will ask forgiveness for you of my Lord. Indeed, He has been welcoming to me." (19:47)

Finally, in the context of Da`wa, the greeting to non-Muslims should be "Assalaamu ala man ittaba`a-l Huda" (Peace be upon those who follow guidance), per 20:47.

:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

akhi does that apply for greeting all non believers.we got a christian maid so i'm to greet her like that??say salam alaikom instead of asalamalaikom

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam alaikum

anyone can greet anyone salam alaikum or assalamu alaikum.
there's nothing wrong....a muslim or a non-muslim can greet a person whether he/she is muslim or non-muslim.

Unless a non-muslim greet you as saam alaika...means: curse upon you....still you need not to curse him directly but reply him wa alika/wa alikum means: same to you/upon you.

we muslims alhamdulillah the most peaceful and most peaceworthy and most peace spreading....even we can greet non muslims with salam alaikum or assalamu alaikum.

'Al' is the definite article in Arabic. when it sits before s,r,d,n in arabic, it merges like as-salam/as-shams/an-najmu/wassajara/ar-rajulu/ad-diku...
so its okay to say salam alaikum...but the best greeting is As-salamu alaikum

hope that's clear the concept....
and Allah knows the best
Jazakallahu Khair
wassalam

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Salam alaikum

anyone can greet anyone salam alaikum or assalamu alaikum.
there's nothing wrong....a muslim or a non-muslim can greet a person whether he/she is muslim or non-muslim.

Unless a non-muslim greet you as saam alaika...means: curse upon you....still you need not to curse him directly but reply him wa alika/wa alikum means: same to you/upon you.

we muslims alhamdulillah the most peaceful and most peaceworthy and most peace spreading....even we can greet non muslims with salam alaikum or assalamu alaikum.

'Al' is the definite article in Arabic. when it sits before s,r,d,n in arabic, it merges like as-salam/as-shams/an-najmu/wassajara/ar-rajulu/ad-diku...
so its okay to say salam alaikum...but the best greeting is As-salamu alaikum

hope that's clear the concept....
and Allah knows the best
Jazakallahu Khair
wassalam

:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakathu

that clears it.jazkallah khairan akhi:)