is seafood haram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeni

ONLY ALLAH
shrimp is something our prophet pbuh disliked?

sorry everyone i didnt mean haram. i misunderstood my husband. he said on geo tv (pakistani channel) some islamic show they said that its a food of like war time but our prophet(pbuh) disliked this food and we should not eat it.my husband was saying somethin about tehreemah and something else....cant remember.....so what do u guys think?is it true tho?:( :( :(

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:

All seafood is HALAL, I don't know where your husband got his information from but it clearly says in the Quran that it's not haram :

Lawful to you is the pursuit of water-game and its use for food, for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel; but forbidden is the pursuit of land-game, as long as you are in the state of Ihram (for Hajj or Umrah). And fear ALLAH, to Whom you shall be gathered back. Al-Ma-ida: 96

And it is HE Who has subjected the sea (to you), that you may eat thereof fresh tender meat, and that you may extract out of it ornaments to wear. And you see the ships ploughing through it, that you may seek (thus) of the HIS bounty (by transporting the goods from place to place) and that you may be grateful. An-Nahl: 14

And the two seas (kinds of water) are not alike: this is fresh, sweet and pleasant to drink, and that is salt and bitter. And from them both you eat fresh tender meat, and extract ornaments that you wear. And you see the ships cleaving (the sea water as they sail through it), that you may seek of HIS bounty, and that you may give thanks. Fatir: 12

Asalaamalikum,

There are different scholary views about eating shrimp/lobster, which I do not have at the moment. However, the Quran makes it clear. Alot of Muslims eat shrimp/lobster/crab and alot don't.

Personally, whenever I am in doubt in anything I just don't do it.

And Allah Knows Best

Ummzaina

Please dont say seafood is haram, we live surrounded by the sea and for generations our communities have been eating so many types of seafood including crustaceans!!!

I will rely on the Quran, unless someone could provide other Islamic evidence why it is considered haram.

Please HELP!:SMILY209:

:wasalam:

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
seafood

:inshallah: it will help ....

Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?

Question:
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Greek_Rose_2005

Yes I have heard of this also my mother and step father are christians ( I am in process of converting to Islam ) and they also said that unscaled fish and bottom feeders are unclean as they eat on the flesh of other dead fish as well as eating fecal matter off the bottom floor of lakes and oceans..whether or not its haram I dont know as my knowledge yet is very limited..

There's nothing that I'm aware of that suggests that sea food is forbidden to eat. Nothing in Islam is forbidden until a direct text can be quoted forbidding it or other rigorous proof can be furnished.

A Shee`i friend of mine once told me that they can't eat catfish. Same thing a Jewish colleague of mine told me that they cannot eat fish that don't have scales. Nothing like that in Sunna.

ja_tu_miluju

There's nothing that I'm aware of that suggests that sea food is forbidden to eat. Nothing in Islam is forbidden until a direct text can be quoted forbidding it or other rigorous proof can be furnished.

A Shee`i friend of mine once told me that they can't eat catfish. Same thing a Jewish colleague of mine told me that they cannot eat fish that don't have scales. Nothing like that in Sunna.

Most people that are not religious at all still do not eat cat fish. it it possible they do not eat it because of its filth. It tends to feed mostly on garbage. I just thought I'd kinda add that. NOt just religious people find it a dirty fish.

muharram23

Staff member

:inshallah: it will help ....

Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?

Question:
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Barakallahu feek sister

Just do add on to your quote because i want it to be the final. To all brothers and sister, try using the search engine here on TTI because these things have already been asked before. If it is something you can not find on TTI, then open a new thread otherwise we will close it. It is just a waste of space and time.

Allah knows best
wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.