is yoga allowed in islam?

lema

is making yoga allowed? some muslims friends online suggested to make it for health. but local muslim friends say that it's not allowed in islam for certain. and what you think about it?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

Yes it is allowed as a form of excercise and to have better health.

Yoga originally stems from polytheist beliefs and worship rituals. I think it is Hinduism. However, many martial arts, languages, foods and other cultural acts have some sort of background to them. This doesnt mean that they are forbidden to Muslims. Just like we use words even in the English language that originate from the Greeks or from Sanskrit (the ancient language of the Indian polytheists) i.e. the word thug, originates from words used by Hindus in Sanskrit.

Likewise Yoga is done by many people all over the world regardless of their beliefs. It is done as a form of excercise and is very beneficial for that. As long as you do not compromise any of your own beliefs and also you seperate any of the nonsensical meanings to some of the forms then it is Ok inshaAllah.

Personally there are some excercises and martial arts that i have done which are from other religions, but of course I dont believe in the meanings to them.

Wasalam.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

I did yoga one time, it was when i went to stay with my brother down south. Me and my sis-in-law went, it was sooo much fun but hard doing yoga....lol. :)

I dont have time now :frown: but maybe in future might start it up again insha-allah...

ma'salaama

Delyan

really

el salam aaleykom,

woww, I was convinced it was not allowed as it comes from polytheist belief, Im surprised to learn that it s not haram, I guess you are sure of what you say !! lol.. we learn every day more ;)

thank u wa salam

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

Pilates is also really great. I used to do both and I got in pretty good shape for having a daughter. I thought there was some "baggage" that would never go away... but it did. Insh' Allah I will get back into the routine when I have more time.

:wasalam:

AishaR

refers to the way the method encourages the use of the mind to control the muscles. The program focuses on the core postural muscles that help keep the body balanced and are essential to providing support for the spine. In particular, Pilates exercises teach awareness of breath and alignment of the spine, and strengthen the deep torso muscles, which are important to help alleviate and prevent back pain.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

lol... pilates, they look so easy, and are pretty easy to begin with, but the whole 'engaging the core' thing hurts sooooo bad after a while. It's like u tuck in tummy and get your neck off the ground... weird it hurts the neck more than anything... and there's other positions and stuff...

anyway..... i've never done yoga, i've seen it, but nothing else. Is it hard??

Wassalam.

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

May Allah (SWT) reward you for adding the words "For Exercise"; because at a higher level "Muraqaba & breathing exercises" are linked to Shirk because of the way they are done & the words/connotations used.

You will be unable to progress after a while without getting into Shirk.

Assalamu Alaykum,

Yes it is allowed as a form of excercise and to have better health.

Yoga originally stems from polytheist beliefs and worship rituals. I think it is Hinduism. However, many martial arts, languages, foods and other cultural acts have some sort of background to them. This doesnt mean that they are forbidden to Muslims. Just like we use words even in the English language that originate from the Greeks or from Sanskrit (the ancient language of the Indian polytheists) i.e. the word thug, originates from words used by Hindus in Sanskrit.

Likewise Yoga is done by many people all over the world regardless of their beliefs. It is done as a form of excercise and is very beneficial for that. As long as you do not compromise any of your own beliefs and also you seperate any of the nonsensical meanings to some of the forms then it is Ok inshaAllah.

Personally there are some excercises and martial arts that i have done which are from other religions, but of course I dont believe in the meanings to them.

Wasalam.

aqsa

YOGA

assalamualikum,
Sorry sisters, but as much as i love it
myself, but according to ASK IMAM yoga is not allowed in islam
check out the following answer :

1. Q: Is 'Yoga' as a fitness programme permissible?

Yoga, according to the World Book lexicon is, 'A system of Hindu religious
philosophy that requires intense mental and physical discipline as a means
of attaining union with the universal spirit.' (World Book p. 2421). Hence
even though Yoga is used only as a fitness programme, it is not permissible
due to its close links with the Hindu religion.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

BintMuhammad

Staff member
assalamualikum,
Sorry sisters, but as much as i love it
myself, but according to ASK IMAM yoga is not allowed in islam
check out the following answer :

1. Q: Is 'Yoga' as a fitness programme permissible?

Yoga, according to the World Book lexicon is, 'A system of Hindu religious
philosophy that requires intense mental and physical discipline as a means
of attaining union with the universal spirit.' (World Book p. 2421). Hence
even though Yoga is used only as a fitness programme, it is not permissible
due to its close links with the Hindu religion.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Mufti Ebrahim Desai follows the Deobandi belief and I do not want to take anything from him. HOWEVER, I do somehow agree with his ruling regarding YOGA because of its CORE OBJECTIVE. I think Karate, Kung FU and the like is a different issue since it's mainly a form of martial arts and primarily used to defend oneself.

I'm sorry, please don't misconstrue me. I'm not ruling a Fatwa here but that's just my opinion.