Is Yu'-Gi-Uh! Haram?

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah
:salam2:

Is it haram? I mean does it have some haram staf or something that is not good for a child. I ask these question becouse I don't know nothing about it and my 9 year old is asking about it.

By theway Yu'-Gi-Uh is one of the cartoons on t.v.

MutlekM

I beleive it is not right since it has cards that they beleive has power when Allaah subhanna watala is all powerful and none other than him. I know this because I used to play with yu Gi Oh cards when I was 6 but my parents told me to stop since it aint good for a child. It makes kids believe it actually has power.
Peace

Fatih*

No, your statement is false. I used to play the game and you don't believe that the cards have more power then Allah. You have to be an idiot to think that the cards have any worldly powers, even kids know that the cards can't do anything in real life..Sure they have powers in the game but that's what makes the game.

mor3b

it's haram , wa alaho a'alam ( he know )

it is haram coz in the card some note said : he (monster on that card) have a power and he called god of war or love , we all believe in one god . we should dont play it at all

thanx for important Q

MutlekM

No, your statement is false. I used to play the game and you don't believe that the cards have more power then Allah. You have to be an idiot to think that the cards have any worldly powers, even kids know that the cards can't do anything in real life..Sure they have powers in the game but that's what makes the game.

I never said they believe that the cards were stronger than Allaah subhanna watala I said they might see that cards actually has power. And you can not come to a conclusion that they do not believe just because you did not. kids way of thinking differ greatly. I hope you understand and I hope I didnt offend anyone.
Peace:)

Rashadi

salaam aleykom, it all depends on who you ask. if you ask "salafis" they will say it's haraam of course so it depends. nothing is haraam unless there is evidence from quran or sunnah. now what can a 7 year old do to anger Allah wa ta'ala? by playing with cards? saying the child will think it has power is absurd with all due respect. be sure to teach the child about Allah and He alone has power and let the kids play wiyh toys that aren't negative. some people go too far and label things haraam without evidence or based on their own opinion

MutlekM

salaam aleykom, it all depends on who you ask. if you ask "salafis" they will say it's haraam of course so it depends. nothing is haraam unless there is evidence from quran or sunnah. now what can a 7 year old do to anger Allah wa ta'ala? by playing with cards? saying the child will think it has power is absurd with all due respect. be sure to teach the child about Allah and He alone has power and let the kids play wiyh toys that aren't negative. some people go too far and label things haraam without evidence or based on their own opinion

Well isnt wasting your time Haram? Especially when those kids could be learning the word of Allaah(Quran)?
:wasalam:

Fatih*

Well isnt wasting your time Haram? Especially when those kids could be learning the word of Allaah(Quran)?

If your a parent I feel sorry for your kids. If your kids wanna have fun let them do just that; they don't have to do ibadah 24/7. -.-

Fatih*

I never said they believe that the cards were stronger than Allaah subhanna watala I said they might see that cards actually has power. And you can not come to a conclusion that they do not believe just because you did not. kids way of thinking differ greatly. I hope you understand and I hope I didnt offend anyone.
Peace:)

Once again; when you play you don't believe that the cards have power. They in game strengths and powers but it isn't associated with real life.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullah,

Akhi, rather than letting your kids playing with cards, its better to teach them to love Allaah and the Messenger even from a young age. There's a malay proverb that says 'Everything should start from a young age'. Its not about taking away their childhood fun but its a matter of teaching them of our deen since young.

Teach your children to love 1.Allaah and Prophet Muhammad sallahu alaihi wa salam 2. The Quran

Besides, playing with games (computer games, play station or even cards) has been famous among the boys youth and not only it caused waste of time but it caused them to be addicted to the game when they actually can fill their time with something of more benefits.

Im not saying the children couldnt have fun or play at all, they still can play soccer, go to the playground or any outdoor beneficial activities that can make them healthy.

Its hard to live in todays world with lots of fitnah and nothing can save a youth except for a strong faith within his heart. So if one's doesnt start teaching their kids with our deen, when will they?

Just my opinions.

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullah.

bettertimes

Playing cards is not permitted !

salamo3alikom
Inchallah I will talk in general about card games not just YU GI one, and I say:
The Standing Committee was asked about playing cards if that does not distract people from prayer and there is no money involved. They answered:

Playing cards is not permitted, even if there is no money involved, because the problem with that is that it distracts people from remembering Allaah (dhikr) and from prayer. Even if they claim that this is not the case, then it is still a means that may lead to gambling which is expressly forbidden in the Qur’aan. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to false gods) and Al-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful”

[al-Maa’idah 5:90]

These cards have an effect on society, for the bonds of a strong society are achieved by means of two things: following the commands of Allaah and heeding His prohibitions. A society disintegrates when it neglects any of those duties or does any of those things that are forbidden. These cards form one of the factors which have an effect on society. They cause people to neglect prayer in congregation, and they generate alienation, breaking of ties, hatred and negligence through the committing of haraam actions, and they make people too lazy to earn a living.

Fatih*

Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullah,

Akhi, rather than letting your kids playing with cards, its better to teach them to love Allaah and the Messenger even from a young age. There's a malay proverb that says 'Everything should start from a young age'. Its not about taking away their childhood fun but its a matter of teaching them of our deen since young.

Teach your children to love 1.Allaah and Prophet Muhammad sallahu alaihi wa salam 2. The Quran

Besides, playing with games (computer games, play station or even cards) has been famous among the boys youth and not only it caused waste of time but it caused them to be addicted to the game when they actually can fill their time with something of more benefits.

Im not saying the children couldnt have fun or play at all, they still can play soccer, go to the playground or any outdoor beneficial activities that can make them healthy.

Its hard to live in todays world with lots of fitnah and nothing can save a youth except for a strong faith within his heart. So if one's doesnt start teaching their kids with our deen, when will they?

Just my opinions.

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullah.

-.-" Really? Here we go: You SHOULD teach your kids quran and stuff but that doesn't mean that if they play games or the computer that they are wasting time; they are enjoying themselves. They don't to spend every minute of their free time studying religion.

MutlekM

If your a parent I feel sorry for your kids. If your kids wanna have fun let them do just that; they don't have to do ibadah 24/7. -.-

First i am not a parent yet but they could go play outside have fun while being healthy and learning they could do sports too. I am just saying they could have fun while learning and being healthy.

MutlekM

Once again; when you play you don't believe that the cards have power. They in game strengths and powers but it isn't associated with real life.

Well you might not have that way of thinking. My little brother used have that way of thinking playing with Pokemon cards.

Fatih*

First i am not a parent yet but they could go play outside have fun while being healthy and learning they could do sports too. I am just saying they could have fun while learning and being healthy.

It's not fun just because someone says it's fun. Being outside is not always funner then being inside.

MutlekM

Just because your "little" brother thinks like that doesn't make the game harram. ;)

Thats not the point that I was trying to get to you with this thread. You said that they will never be associated with reality as if you knew how all the kids think I am trying to tell you that kids think differently. And using my lil bro as an example.
Peace

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

If Yu-Ghi-Oh is about magic and fictitious monsters like I think it is, then remember that magic is a type of shirk. It is simply letting your child get attached and grow fond of shirk, just through another one of it's shades. As for the cards, then of course, they contain pictures and animation. Hence the angels wouldn't enter the homes which holds these images.

Remember, Islaam began as something strange, and will return strange just as it began. So glad tidings to the strangers! (Saheeh Muslim) So yes, while all the other kids; disbelievers and non-practicing/some Muslims are allowing this sort of entertainment for their children, the believers are distinguished. We are seen as strange, and don't need a shirky cartoon for our kids. There are many halaal ways of having fun, yet we ignore them and look to what is haraam. There are many good ways one can raise children, yet we always relax and turn our eyes to some of the crap that is fed to the masses, feeding it to our kids as well.

Maa shaa' Allaah, I know a brother whose children have never seen a cartoon in their life! They know what they are through their understanding, but have never actually seen one on screen. This is strange to the kuffaar, extreme to the negligent, but good to us.

Raising children is definitely a hard battle, but I must say, that the best of children I've seen (even those who have reached adulthood now) are those whose parents took utmost care with their upbringing. So they home-schooled them fearing Allaah (despite the bogus claims that this blocks there sense of cohesion etc), they taught them what is good for them and prevented them from what is harmful to them. Yet, they didn't go to extremes and deprive their children from fun (like some claim and sadly, some do). Rather, they weeded out the haraam fun for what is halaal...

Anyway, I hope I haven't offended anyone with this. But instead of arguing halaal and haraam, we should look at the harms/benefits, and the obvious factors that would help us determine if these sort of programs are sound under an Islamic framework. Wallaahi, I don't see any excuse for this program, and most of those you find today.

DanyalSAC

I can't say if the show is haram or not but I can say its reeeeaaallly bad :)!!!

And frankly I find nothing wrong with allowing a child to have a bit of imagination. They are after all children. Yes, teach them what is right and what is wrong. Teach them to love Allah and our Prophet, peace be upon him. But if your child wants to read The Hobbit or play a game that stimulates the mind on the PS3 let him or her - but in small doses. I started out reading books as a child and to this day I still enjoy some sci fi or fantasy novels or programming. I think I am also a pretty good Muslim.

Sure, magic is a form of shirk but playing with cards isn't going to make the child turn into a sorcerer. The child isn't doing magic and isn't going to grow up to do magic any more than the child who plays baseball is going to grow up and kill someone with a baseball bat.

Raising a child totally outside the dunya is going to produce a child that will rebel at the first chance he gets. If a 4 year old wants to pretend his pine cones are soldiers killing the dragon made of a fallen branch that's storming his castle of an upturned flower pot, let him. That 4 year old is doing what is necessary for the development of his mind and his motor skills. Its not sin, and I pray for the child who's parents make him stop just because they think he has "idols".

This is all just my opinion, and if I'm wrong on any of it its my ignorance. Allahu alilm.