Islam Surpasses Roman Catholicism as World's Largest Religion

Jibran

Salaam

VATICAN CITY — Islam has surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest religion, the Vatican newspaper said Sunday.

"For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have overtaken us," Monsignor Vittorio Formenti said in an interview with the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano. Formenti compiles the Vatican's yearbook.

He said that Catholics accounted for 17.4 percent of the world population -- a stable percentage -- while Muslims were at 19.2 percent.

"It is true that while Muslim families, as is well known, continue to make a lot of children, Christian ones on the contrary tend to have fewer and fewer,"
the monsignor said.

Formenti said that the data refer to 2006. The figures on Muslims were put together by Muslim countries and then provided to the United Nations, he said, adding that the Vatican could only vouch for its own data.

When considering all Christians and not just Catholics, Christians make up 33 percent of the world population, Formenti said.

mezeren

Surely,quality is more important than quantity.A true believer of Allah can challenge the whole world.i hope,one day,i could be one of them.

sajjuaiah

As-salaam alaikum,

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=4553209

Vatican: Islam Surpasses Roman Catholicism As World's Largest Religion

Islam has surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest religion, the Vatican newspaper said Sunday.

For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have overtaken us," Monsignor Vittorio Formenti said in an interview with the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano. Formenti compiles the Vatican's yearbook.

He said that Catholics accounted for 17.4 percent of the world population — a stable percentage — while Muslims were at 19.2 percent.

"It is true that while Muslim families, as is well known, continue to make a lot of children, Christian ones on the contrary tend to have fewer and fewer," the monsignor said.

Formenti said that the data refer to 2006. The figures on Muslims were put together by Muslim countries and then provided to the United Nations, he said, adding that the Vatican could only vouch for its own data.

When considering all Christians and not just Catholics, Christians make up 33 percent of the world population, Formenti said.

Spokesmen for the Vatican and the United Nations did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment Sunday.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Waalaikumsalam,

I just got to know about this.
SubhanAllah.
Indeed Islam will be victorious.

An-Nasr
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
When, comes the Help of Allah, and Victory, (1) And thou dost see the People enter Allah's Religion in crowds, (2) Celebrate the Praises of thy Lord, and pray for His Forgiveness: for He is Oft-Returning (in Grace and Mercy). (3)
Alhamdulillahi Robbil Alamin

Ibn_hassan

Servant of Allah
Does that mean they will respect the religion of islam and take part in the effort to stop the insulting drawings of prophet muhammad.

MTYKK

Banned
assalaamu alaykum wa raHmatullah.

MashaAllah, this is very good, let's take a lesson from this wonderful event, I would like to remind myself not to forget, we already know Islaam will be victorious, but will we take part in that victory and collect the unfathomabla hasanat, or will we be by-standers and just say, MashaAllah? Also I first remind myself, even though this is great news let's not allow this to get the worst of us, numbers aren't what makes Islaam Haqq, it's Allah Ta'ala and Allah's Word, Qur'aan that makes the case for Islaam. Let's live our Islaam, be an example to all the nations with our devotion to Allaah Ta'ala, be the best example and strive to be worthy of the mighty Messengers of Allaah Ta'ala and example of the Beloved MuHammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam. Be just, be kind, be articulate, be educated, knowledgable, be loving, be compassionate, reflect on Allah's names to the best of our ability, it's easy to say Muslim, hard to deserve the name. But we're the ummah that can do it.

wassalaam.

ps. it also does seems like Pope may be using this to incite awareness in Christians. Allahu 'Aalim.

sajjuaiah

As-salam Alaikum,

As Mr. Vatican mentioned in the above news.

I think the Vatican is still cannot see the growing number of muslims are not only from giving birth.

Might he is feeling shame or Forget to mention "MANY CHRISTIANS ARE REVERTING TO ISLAM" :tti_sister:

:SMILY346::SMILY346::SMILY346:

:muslim_child:

samwich717

Surely,quality is more important than quantity.A true believer of Allah can challenge the whole world.i hope,one day,i could be one of them.

Absolutely right. There are people who call themselves Catholic and people who call themselves Muslim. It all depends on what you ACTUALLY are.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

I pray that as Muslims we succeed in every test that is laid upon us by the Almighty Creator. I pray that we become better Muslims and better ambassadors for our religion. I also pray that one day Insha Allah Islam become the most fastest spreading religion of the world and we all, with one voice, one body, to recite our Kalimah and be the torch bearers of this One true religion.

Aameen.

Assalamualaikum