Islamic Studies Programs in Western Institutions

OnlyOne

As Salaamu 'Alaykum,

What do you guys think of Islamic Studies programs in Western institutions? For example, my goal is to finish a Masters and/or Ph.D, InshaAllah, in Islamic and Arabic Studies, but to also take a break before or after my Masters and go to a Madrassa to take an 'Alim course. However, I keep getting scrutiny with people saying, "Why are you learning Islam at this or that university?!! etc.." And it's getting annoying. I need advice and I want to know what you guys think. But, this way i'll be well-rounded in both the Islamic sense, and a Western sense. My final goal is teach in a Madrassa and a University. But alot of people are against it! And it bothers me when it's people close to me. I just need some sound advice and I'm hoping that InshaAllah, the people here will help. :)

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Brother its great idea ,go for it ,what can be better then having knowledge in Islam and then teach it to others...

waaleikum salam

faithzilla

Had Left TTI
O Boy this is tricky a question!

Am I allowed to express my own personal experience, I got quite long story to tell.

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
:salam2:

i think mashallah :ma:may allah give you the knowledge and courage to do what is right in making your decision but subhanallah i have heard this before my sister wanted to do islamic study but she got an earfull like "its good but it wont make money or you may not find a job" whatever the excuse i think it is great and we need muslims in teaching in schools as well they teach christianity more than islam for example when i did a gcse in RS they teached mostly christian things because i was the only muslim i think islam was mentioned 5-10 minutes each hour lesson so it not fair for muslims had i not been in the class the teacher may have just teached her religion to the students i.e. christianity.
i encourage u to do it but its your choice and the will of allah that will guide you. I think to teach the deen is very special and an honour. May allah help and guide you in what you want to do
Ameen.

:wasalam:

OnlyOne

O Boy this is tricky a question!

Am I allowed to express my own personal experience, I got quite long story to tell.

Please do tell your story. If it will help me within my situation, it is highly welcome.

Jazaak Allahu khayran for all of your responses brothers and sisters. :)

Almeftah

salam aleikum
Brother its great idea ,go for it ,what can be better then having knowledge in Islam and then teach it to others...

waaleikum salam

I agree with Aisha, learning and teaching are considered types of jahad.

BUT, before you go for it, you must be sure, learning in this field is hard, and teaching is much harder than you think.. you must be up to it!!

May allah guide you to whats best for you in this life here and the hereafter.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam

First lesson is not to trust people with Phds, any monkey can get a Phd. Learning Islam from strictly Islamic point of view, is not from University, especially from a Western University.

But, by sitting and studying with the Scholars. So, learn ARabic, study the books of Quran, Hadith and fiqh with the Scholars. Now, you can even get tapes by kibar ulema' like Shaykh ibn Baz, Shaykh ibn Uthaimeen and Shaykh Albani Rahimahumullah. So you can go through the classical books in that way.

If you look in the past, in ISlam, the scholars were people who did things sincerely to educate themselves and families. It is step by step process. The beginning point is to have correct intentions.

Doing an "Alim course" does not make a person an Alim or a Scholar. This certifications and courses simply makes people more ignorant, because they rely on those who are not real scholars who can be used for fatawa. Certainly, not to same level as Muhaditheen and other scholars of Islam.

Often, in places all over the world, especially in India and Pakistan, people go on Alim courses to secure a job. To be an Alim or Imam. This is not good, and anyway, there is no guarantee that these people actually have much knowledge.

Most universities teach nonsense, and often incorrect teachings in Aqeedah. likewise a lot of so called Islamic instituations are the same. They teach things from the Sufis, Shia etc... not from pure Quran and Sunnah.

Our problem today is that people not only dont know how to follow Islam, i.e. according to the Quran and Sunnah with understanding of the pious predecessors, they do not even know who the Scholars are /were and how knowledge is sought.

Assalamu alaykum

3:54

I know of an online Islamic university that i have enrolled with but unfortunately ceased studies with due to lack of time, called the Sharia Academy. My personal experience is that it's very beneficial, however if you don't have a sheikh to explain some of the material or the proper resources it does become confusing. Also I took the English program so you can imagine the texts were lost in translation some of the time. Fortunately the sheikh we studied with was also a doctoral linguist so most of the content was reworded for us. All in all i finished my studies with higher emaan and a better understanding of the deen.

I also encountered the whole, "Study a trade and get a career"lecture, I was peeved to hear at first but now that I think about it, work = worship; by applying your knowledge in islam to your work (honoring honest business etc) you are essentially worshiping the All Mighty, Allah:SMILY149: