Israeli legislature votes to seize East Jerusalem

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Wednesday November 14, 2007 18:47 by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC

The Israeli Knesset (Parliament) gave preliminary approval on Wednesday to a bill that would seize East Jerusalem, in contravention of international law and UN resolutions, and make it part of Israel.

The move comes just after the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas pledged that the Palestinians would never give up East Jerusalem, as it is an integral part of a future Palestinian state.

In addition, Palestinian and Israeli leaders are gearing up for a peace conference that will take place on November 26th in Annapolis, MD, in the U.S.

Before being passed into law, the proposed bill must be approved by a parliamentary committee and go to three more votes -- a process that could take months.

"(Preliminary) passage of the legislation, two weeks before the Annapolis conference, sends an important and clear signal to the entire international community that all of the people of Israel and parliament oppose concessions in Jerusalem," said Gideon Saar, the Likud lawmaker who sponsored the bill.

When Israel was created after a UN recommendation in 1948, the United Nations recommended that Palestine be split 50/50, with half of the land being given to Israel to establish the Jewish homeland. The city of Jerusalem was to remain an international city under UN control.

In the 1948 war, in which Jewish militias displaced 700,000 Palestinians from their homes in order to establish the Jewish homeland there, Israel took control of more than 60% of historical Palestine, but Jerusalem remained under Palestinian control.

In the 1967 war, preemptively started by Israel, Israeli forces took control of Jerusalem, and 78% of historical Palestine. Since that time, Israeli settlements and military attacks have forced hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, many of them from Jerusalem, to become refugees.

Although many Palestinians have been forced from their homes in Jerusalem, the city still remains a majority Palestinian city. But the Israeli Knesset, along with a majority of the Israeli population, want to kick the Palestinians out to make Jerusalem a Jewish city.

http://www.imemc.org/article/51511

Wednesday November 14, 2007 18:47 by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC

The Israeli Knesset (Parliament) gave preliminary approval on Wednesday to a bill that would seize East Jerusalem, in contravention of international law and UN resolutions, and make it part of Israel.

The move comes just after the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas pledged that the Palestinians would never give up East Jerusalem, as it is an integral part of a future Palestinian state.

In addition, Palestinian and Israeli leaders are gearing up for a peace conference that will take place on November 26th in Annapolis, MD, in the U.S.

Before being passed into law, the proposed bill must be approved by a parliamentary committee and go to three more votes -- a process that could take months.

"(Preliminary) passage of the legislation, two weeks before the Annapolis conference, sends an important and clear signal to the entire international community that all of the people of Israel and parliament oppose concessions in Jerusalem," said Gideon Saar, the Likud lawmaker who sponsored the bill.

When Israel was created after a UN recommendation in 1948, the United Nations recommended that Palestine be split 50/50, with half of the land being given to Israel to establish the Jewish homeland. The city of Jerusalem was to remain an international city under UN control.

In the 1948 war, in which Jewish militias displaced 700,000 Palestinians from their homes in order to establish the Jewish homeland there, Israel took control of more than 60% of historical Palestine, but Jerusalem remained under Palestinian control.

In the 1967 war, preemptively started by Israel, Israeli forces took control of Jerusalem, and 78% of historical Palestine. Since that time, Israeli settlements and military attacks have forced hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, many of them from Jerusalem, to become refugees.

Although many Palestinians have been forced from their homes in Jerusalem, the city still remains a majority Palestinian city. But the Israeli Knesset, along with a majority of the Israeli population, want to kick the Palestinians out to make Jerusalem a Jewish city.

http://www.imemc.org/article/51511

Salaam,

Please be careful when they say "foreground." That masjid picture in the site is NOT Al-Aqsa, it's the Dome of the Rock.
Just in case you want to know what masjid Al-Aqsa looks like - refer to this thread:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14028&highlight=aqsa

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I am so sickened and saddened when I read about our Palestenian brothers and sisters are going through. Truly Israel will not be satisifed until every inch of the land they covet is within their posession. The greed and hypocrisy I see when I read about the establishment of Israel as a nation makes me so ashamed I come from them. :girl3:

~Sarah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sweet Sister Sara do not be upset. You are a Muslim. Muslims have no issues with Jews. The politics of zionism are quite different. That has nothing to do with you.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I purchased a great t shirt from Islamic Human Rights Commission in the UK. It says a lot about Palestine and a need to end zionism. www.ihrc.org
It is worth checking out. Sister Harb..you would look great in one.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

Thanks about the idea, sister.

Did you meant that one?

t_shirt_front.jpg

"The reverse reads, 'The Worlds Stopped Nazism, the World Stopped Apartheid, the World must stop Zionism'"

Hmmm... you might be right...

:lol:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Mine is long sleeved. It is of excellent quality. But in all seriouness it sends a very stong message.

muharram23

Staff member
Salaam,

Mine is long sleeved. It is of excellent quality. But in all seriouness it sends a very stong message.

Salamu alaykum

who does it send strong message to? If murder of millions of muslims is not a message itself, a shirt is?

Wassalamu alaykum

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Seems zionists now believe they own everything in Jerusalem, including Al-Aqsa masjid... :(

Israeli Minister brings armed guards into al-Aqsa mosque; disturbs worshippers
Thursday November 15, 2007 16:10 by Maisa Abu Ghazaleh - IMEMC News

The Israeli Minister of the Environment, Gideon Ezra, on Thursday carried out a provocative visit to the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem, guarded by a phalanx of armed soldiers and security guards.

According to local eyewitnesses, Ezra and his armed guards entered the mosque through the Mughrabi Gate after the Israeli forces controlling access to the mosque increased the security checks on Muslim worshippers in anticipation of his visit.

The Israeli policemen guarding the gates of the al-Aqsa mosque began to search the mosque and its yards early in the morning, and checked the identity cards of all Palestinians who came to the mosque for prayers.

It was a similarly provocative visit to the al-Aqsa mosque by then-Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in September 2000 that set off the current open conflict.

The visit of the Israeli minister comes one day after a number of right-wing Israeli Knesset (Parliament) members conducted a tour of tunnels that have been dug under the mosque by Israeli authorities, who had previously publicly denied that such excavations were taking place.

The tunnels snake under the foundations of the ancient Mosque, which structural experts note could undermine the Mosque, causing it to collapse. The tunnels continue to the Umayyad and Othman ruins, and along the backside of the Western Wall – revered by Jews, who believe it to be the last remaining wall of a Jewish temple that stood on the site but was destroyed by the Romans several thousand years ago. The Israeli authorites have even allowed the construction of a synagogue underneath the al-Aqsa mosque.

Extremist Jews in Israel have tried to destroy the al-Aqsa mosque a number of times, with the plan to build a Jewish temple in its place. The al-Aqsa mosque is the third holiest site in Islam, and is a site of pilgrimage for the over one billion Muslims around the world.

translated by Manar Jibrin, edited by Saed Bannoura

http://www.imemc.org/article/51540

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Jerusalem’s Israeli mayor announces plan for annexation of East Jerusalem
Thursday November 22, 2007 00:18 by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC

The Israeli mayor of Jerusalem (the city has two mayors: one Israeli, one Palestinian) Uri Lupolianski announced Wednesday that his municipal government would engage in a ‘development plan’ for East Jerusalem, a plan which Palestinian residents of Jerusalem claim is actually annexation of Palestinian land for Israel.

Lupolianski presented the plan at a City Hall news conference Wednesday, stating that it is a ‘way to keep Jerusalem united’. His statement conveniently left out the fact that Jerusalem is, in fact, a city under Israeli military occupation since 1967.

"Today, unfortunately, people are busy talking about Jerusalem," Lupolianski said. "Through our actions, we will unify and strengthen Jerusalem."

His plan will involve developing a commercial center, creating new parks, and building more hotels, homes and businesses in east Jerusalem – the last part of the city from which the Palestinian population has not yet been expelled.

Lupolianski called the $50.9 million program a "Marshall Plan for east Jerusalem". Residents of East Jerusalem, however, call it a land grab for Israel.

The move comes just days before a ‘peace summit’ is set to be held in Annapolis, MD, in the US, between Israeli and Palestinian leaders.

http://www.imemc.org/article/51658

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Let me get this there will be a peace summit held at one of the military academies? What is Muslim life?
What is the Israeli population doing to help fill these parks? Seriously, do they not have a problem with keeping a robust population?
I do not mean to sound bitter or angry...

Sister, Have a good Thanksgiving. Next year InshaAllah I will fast on every holiday. As a friend of mine said while they feast I fast...