Joel Hayward gets apology from UK newspaper for its untrue comments about his Islamic faith

sisterstruth

It is not often that Muslims get public apologies after being defamed.

The UK newspaper Daily Star has apologized to Muslim scholar Dr Joel Hayward for its false allegations about his faith published in 2011. Its apology to Joel Hayward states:

"Dr Joel Hayward

"In our article entitled “RAF pilot converts to Islam” we suggested that the beliefs of Dr Joel Hayward, the Dean of RAF College Cranwell, prevented him from fulfilling the duty of impartiality and fairness imposed upon him as a teacher in the RAF, that officer cadets were in fear of saying anything that Dr Hayward might construe as ‘anti-Muslim’, and that he was giving too much time to his Islamic activities that were nothing to do with the RAF. We accept that these allegations are untrue and apologise to Dr Hayward."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/vie...uW-hq0&usg=AFQjCNF0H6T5aCoBNEeesxuL_pZeWiQx1g

----------------------------------------

Update:

Prof. Hayward has gone from strength to strength, alhamdulillah. He is now a Professor of International and Civil Security at Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi. His university web page link is:

http://www.kustar.ac.ae/academics/collegesandinstitutes/institutes/iiscs/hayward.aspx

----------------------------------------

Update 2:

Prof Hayward is clearly motivated to use his new post to learn and teach Islam accurately to improve humanity. As this news release shows, his new university is proud of that. What a difference to how a British university would regard a man of faith!

World Renowned Professor Joins Khalifa University

Khalifa University News

05/12/2012

Professor Joel Hayward will be teaching International and Civil Security

Khalifa University announced today that Professor Joel Hayward, a world renowned scholar on defense and security studies, has joined its faculty as a professor for its International and Civil Security Master’s program.

Prof. Hayward joins Khalifa University from a fellowship with Cambridge Muslim College in the United Kingdom. He previously served as Dean of the prestigious Royal Air Force College, a Director of the Royal Air Force Centre for Air Power Studies, Head of King's College London's Air Power Studies Division, as well as Program Coordinator, Centre for Defense Studies, and Senior Lecturer in Defense and Strategic Studies, Massey University (both in New Zealand).

He is most well-known for his published books and articles on military matters, including the use of air power, his 2003 biography of Horatio Lord Nelson, and his writing and teaching on the Quranic concepts of war. He has lectured widely throughout the world on various defense, security and ethics topics and is a Professor of Strategy (Adjunct) at the Indonesian Defense University, and has given strategic advice to political and military leaders. He is currently working on a book titled: Prophet and Warrior: The Conduct and Justice of Muhammad’s Military Campaigns.

“I chose Khalifa University for several reasons,” says Prof. Hayward. “First, as a scholar of security, conflict and strategy, I see tremendous potential in the Institute of International and Civil Security, which has far more likelihood of contributing meaningfully to peace and stability in the region than any other academic department or think-tank known to me. Second, the Institute is new and its emerging programs are still developing. I’m therefore hopeful of being able to use my many years of experience in similar centers to help the Institute's Director to build truly transformational and effective programs that will make a real difference to students, to Abu Dhabi and to the region."

“We are very pleased that Prof. Hayward is joining us,” says Dr. Tod Laursen, Khalifa University’s President. “His unique perspective on defense and security will be invaluable to our Master’s students. Our MA in International and Civil Security is the only one of its kind available in the region, and is directly tied in with Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision, which is why it is so important that we recruit such prestigious faculty."

In addition to his books on defense and security, Prof. Hayward is also an Islamic poet, and has published two books of short stories and two collections of poetry. His most recent poetry collection is entitled Splitting the Moon: A Collection of Islamic Poetry.

"On a more personal level,” concluded Prof. Hayward. “I am thrilled by the hope of improving my Arabic, deepening my knowledge of the region and of my religion and expanding my understanding of the Islamic concepts of international relations and conflict resolution."

http://www.kustar.ac.ae/media/news/2012/news_05122012.aspx