Learn Egyptian Arabic

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
nameofallah.gif

salam.gif

Arabic Alphabet

(Arabic Is written from the right to left)

Alef ( أ )
Alef is the first letter in the Arabic alphabet ,The shape you see up is the classic shape of the letter. is usually written as vertical line ( ا ) .In the top of it there is a "hamza" which is like the vowel in the English .. and the "hamza" position weather above or under the letter Alef determines the letter's pronunciation.

Baa ( ب )
This is the 2nd letter in the Arabic alphabet. it id the equivalent of the letter (B) in the English language. this letter is one of the joined letters in the Arabic alphabet, It joined any letter that follows , the "Baa" has two forms, the full form ( ب ) use in the end of the word & the short form ( بـ ) is use at the beginning of the word or between two letters.

Taa ( ت ) & Thaa ( ث )
These two letters are the 3rd & 4th letters in the Arabic alphabet, & they are identical in shap of the previous letter "Baa".. What separates them the number & posision of the dotes.
as at the letter "Baa" its one dote under it
at the letter "Taa" its two dotes above it
at the letter "Thaa" its three dotes above it.

Geem or (jeem) ( ج )
There is no direct equivalent to this letter in the English, The pronunciations of this letter also varies between arabic dialects.. In Egypt it is (G) like "Go" and most of the other arabic countries its ( J ) like "Jam". Also the letter (geem) is a joined letter and it has two forms
( ج ) at the end of the word
( جـ ) at the beginning of the word or between two letters.

Haa ( ح ) & Khaa ( خ )
There is no direct equivalent to this letter in the English , they are similar in shape like the previous letter (Geem) , and also they are joined letters and they have two forms according to their position in the word.
The (Haa) sound like the long & heavy (H)
The (Khaa) sound like the (KH) in word (Khan)

Dal ( د) & Dhal ( ذ )
The first letter (Dal) in equivalent to the English letter (D) as in word (Day) , The letter (Dhal) has no direct equivalent letter in English but it has the sound of (TH) in word (This or The)

Raa ( ر )
This letter has no direct equivalent in English , and it have on form whaever it's place in the word. It sound like letter (R) in English in word (right).

Zaa ( ز )
This letter identical like the previous letter , and it also has no equivalent in English , its sound like letter (Z) in English

Seen ( س)
Seen is one of the joined letters have two forms according to it's position in the word, So if its in the beginning or between two letters it will be ( سـ ) if its in the end of the word it will be ( س ) , and its sound like ( C ) in the English language in word ( Center )

Sheen ( ش )
This letter has the same shape as previous one plus three dotes up of it to give it the sound (SH) in English language in word (shut) , it also has two forms as previous letter.

Saad ( ص )
Saad one of the heavy letters it's sound like heavy (S) in English language in (Sun)
Its also a joined letter has two forms, So if its in the beginning or between two letters it will be ( صـ ) if its in the end of the word it will be ( ص).

Daad ( ض )
Daad has the same shape as the previous but with a dote above it, Its also a joined letter has two forms, So if its in the beginning or between two letters it will be (ضـ ) if its in the end of the word it will be ( ض). it doesn't have an equivalent letter in English , but we can say it's sound like heave (D) in word (Door)

Taa ( ط ) - Thaa ( ظ )
These two letters have same shape but the (Thaa) has a dote , both have same form whaever their position in the word.. The letter (Taa ) like the heavy (T) in English in word (Top)
and the letter (Thaa) like the heavy (Z) in word (Zoro).

Aen ( ع ) - Ghen ( غ )
These two letters have same shape but the (Ghen) has a dote above it, they are joined letters have to forms. at the beginning & between two letters its ( عـ - غـ ) , at the end of the word its ( ع - غ ) , They don't have equivalent letters in English, The letter (Aen ) says (A) in English , and the letter (Ghen) its like (GH) in word (Ghost) its not just sound (G) but its coming from the nose when you say it (GH).

Faa ( ف ) - Kaff ( ق )
The letter Faa its equivalent the letter (F) in English and it has two forms also, at the beginning & between two letters its ( فـ ) at the end of the word its ( ف) .
the letter (Kaff) its like the heavy (C) in Engish in word (Cut) , and it has forms also, at the beginning & between two letters its ( قـ ) at the end of the word its ( ق) .

Kaaf ( ك )
This letter has equivalent letter (k) in the English language in word (Keep) , Its joined letter has two forms when it comes at the beginning or between two letters its ( كـ ) and when it comes at the end of the word its ( ك ).

Lam ( ل )
This letter equivalent letter (L) in the English language in word (Light) , Its joined letter has two forms when it comes at the beginning or between two letters its ( لــ ) and when it comes at the end of the word its ( ل ).

Meem ( م )
This letter equivalent letter (M) in the English language in word (Moon) , Its joined letter has two forms when it comes at the beginning or between two letters its (مــ) and when it comes at the end of the word its ( م ).

Noon ( ن )
This letter equivalent letter ( N ) in the English language in word (Note ) , Its joined letter has two forms when it comes at the beginning or between two letters its ( نــ ) and when it comes at the end of the word its ( ن).

Haa ( هـ )
This letter equivalent letter ( H ) in the English language in word (High ) , Its joined letter has two forms when it comes at the beginning or between two letters its (هــ ) and when it comes at the end of the word its ( ه).

Waw ( و )
This letter equivalent letter ( W ) in the English language in word (Washington ) , Its not a joined letter has only one form whatever it's position in the word it comes ( و ).

Yaa ( ى )
This letter equivalent letter ( Y ) in the English language in word (Yacht ) , Its joined letter has two forms when it comes at the beginning or between two letters its ( يـ) and when it comes at the end of the word its (ى).

======================

Some Arabic Vocabulary For Tourists

English Word - In Arabic - How it Sound.

I am أنـا Ana

You أنت Anta ( for male)
أنتى Anty (for female)

He هو Hwa ( for male)
She هى Hia (for female)

want أريد Aoreed
عاوز Awez (in the public speach)

Go اذهب Azhab
أروح Aroh (in public speach)

Eat آكل Akol

Sleep أنام Anam

Buy أشترى Ashtery

Egypt مصر Masr
Cairo القاهرة Al kahira
Pyramids الأهرامات El Ahramat ( plural of El Haram)

Egyptian museum المتحف المصرى elmathaf elmasry

I want to go to this place
أنا اريد الذهاب لهذا المكان
Ana aoreed alzehab lehaza almkan

I want to exchange my money From the bank.
أنا اريد تغيير عملة من البنك
ana aoren tagheer aomla

<wasalam>

islamicfajr​

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Greetings and departures

Greetings and departures

hello مرحبَ Marhaba
goodbye مع السلامه Ma' Al-Salama
How are you? كيف حالكKeef halak? (m) Keef halek? (f)
Fine كويس Kowayyes (m) كويسه Kowayyesah (f)
Good morning صباح الخيرSabah El-Khair
Good evening مساء الخيرMasaa El-Khair
Goodbye مع السلامه Ma'assalama
Hopefully إن شاء الله Inshalla
Thank you شكراً Shukran
Welcome عفواً Afwan (answer to Shukran)
Excuse me? لو سمحت(as question) Laww Smaht (m) لو سمحتيLaww Smahti (female)
Excuse me! عفواَ(as sorry) Afwan
Pardon me سامحني Samehni (m) سامحينيSamehini (f)
If you please من فضلكMin fadlak (m) Min fadlik (f)
Help me ساعدنيSa'adni (m) Sa'adini (f)
Sorry آسفAasif
Congratulations مبروكMabrook

Wait إستنيIstanna
Hurry up بسرعةBesora'a
Go away إمشيEmshi
Yes نعم Na'am / أيوةaiwa
no لا La'
please لو سمحت Lao Samahet / من فضلكmin fudlick
it is nice to meet you تشرفناTsharafna
What is your name? ما اسمكَMa Ismak? (m) ما اسمكِMa Ismek? (m)
My name is ... اسميIsmi ...
I don't speak Arabic أنا ما بعرف أحكي عربيAna ma ba'aref ahkee Arabee
I speak Arabic a little بعرف عربي شوية Baa'ref Arabee Showayya
take me to my hotel خدني الفندق Khodney Al-Hotel
where is the bathroom فين الحمامFeyn al hamam
how much does this cost كم السعرKam al se'er / بكام Bekam
help مساعدهmosa'ada
doctor دكتورdoctor
police شُرطةshorta
taxi تاكسيtaksi
train قِطارqetar
bus باسbaas
street شارع share'
left يسار Yasaar /شِمالshimmell
right يمينYameen
middle النص Al-Nus
under تحتtahet
Down Town وسط البلدWast El-Balad
Street شارعShare'a
Hotel فندقFondoq
Museum متحف Mathaf
Mall سوق Souq
Restaurant مطعم Mat'am
Hospital مستشفىMustashfa
Doctor طبيب Tabeeb
Police شرطهShorta
Passport الجوازEl-Jawaz
Identity هويةHaweyya
pharmacy صيدليةsaydaleya
salad سلطةSalata
bread خبزKhobz
cheese جبنةJubna
rice رزRuz
potato بطاطاBatata
soup شوربةShorba
chocolate شكولاتهChocalata
dessert حلوىHelweyat
coffee قهوةQahwa
tea شاي Shai
milk حليبHaleeb
Sugar سكرSokkar
Without Sugar بدون سكرBdoun Sokkar
Milk حليبHaleeb

purified water ميه Mai
beef لحمِ Lahmi
chicken دجاجDajaj
lamb خروفKharoof
fish سمك Samak
veal عجلEjl

bake في الفرنFi al-foron
boil مسلوقMaslooq
fry مقليMeqley
vegetable خضره Khodra
How much? بكم Bekam
Expensive غالي Ghali
Too Much كتيرKteer
The Bill الحساب El-Hesab
Invoice فاتورة Fatora

Today اليومEl-Youm
Tomorrow بكرهBokra
After Tomorrow بعد بكرهBa'ad Bokra
Yesterday امبارحEmbareh
Day يومYoum
Week اسبوع Esbou'a
Month شهرShahr
Year سنه Sana
Morning صباحSabah
Noon ظهر Dhohor
Afternoon عصر Aser
Evening مساء Masa
Night ليلLail

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

can we just have one arabic please, Fus7a. (Quranic Arabic) This will avoid any sort of confusion.

JAzakallahu khayr,

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

can we just have one arabic please, Fus7a. (Quranic Arabic) This will avoid any sort of confusion.

JAzakallahu khayr,

wa alaykum Alsalam..

Surely ur Ture..

hahaha..

it's 4 a fun...

......but i need more Explain from u..to get what u means..hahah..

...if u wanna..delete this post u wellcome..:muslim_child:

<wasalam>

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam, ya3ni fusha فصحا

I said this because there was one thread for Kuwaiti one for Egyptian.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam, ya3ni fusha فصحا

I said this because there was one thread for Kuwaiti one for Egyptian.

As i told u before.. All non Arabian speak Egyption Lagauges and..

don't forget the lessons whichu share it to me not Fusha..

about Fusha..i was Make theard about it..and i put theard name Egyption..lang..to Makeany one here..can differ. bet. calssical ( Fusha) lang and other Tridiational Arabic lang.

<wasalam>

Submitter

:salam2:

What is your name? ما اسمكَMa Ismak? (m) ما اسمكِMa Ismek? (m)

Don't you mean "Ma Ismaka" brother? Hehehe sorry couldn't resist :tongue:

Mashallah jazakallah khair, very useful.

:wasalam:

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:wasalam:
You have just made my life easier, lol. I was going to post something on the Arabic alphabet, but I see that you already have it.

Now, there's 3 types threads; some Modern Standard Arabic, one on Kuwaiti Arabic, and one on Egyptian Arabic. Alhamduallah!

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

As I lived in Egypt and Saudia for a year or so, I was so suprised to see the difference in dialect in one language!

Delyan

salam aleykom

salam aaleykom

I just want to thank you !! yes because my husband is egyptian and that I ma learning actually to speak egyptian :)))))

delyan

autumnyaar

I'm so confusedddd... I thought its all Egyptian Arabic [thread name] but I found you mixed it all! Like for chicken I never heard any Egyptian say dajaj/dagag... they always say frekh. And meat is lahma, not lahmi. And excuse me would be ba'd iznak/ik... and for asking the names, for Egyptian it would be ismak/ek eh? If I said ma ismik, all Egyptians would laugh at me. :]

And the genders are all mixed... new learners won't tell the difference maybe...

Not trying to be mean to you, just wanna help it to be clear.. :]

Al arabi mn al masr

,I like the idea of a thread for different dialects of Arabic, and I think that it is important to learn Arabic, the way it is in the Qur'an, most importantly. I would like to learn the difference in dialects, as well. This thread confused me a little, because I think it is mixing...if it is supposed to be about Egyptian Arabic, you should use
كلم من المصر بص ، لؤ سمحت
But I hope we can keep this thread, I think it is helpful, just make sure you are sticking to the Egyptian dialect.
Don’t they generally say ismak ay/ ismik ay?

I think my brothers and sisters who want to learn Arabic, better learn fusha, to understand Islam, while amiyah only used for daily conversation, and that is unfortunate many of the Arabs do not speak fusha. Apologize if there is something wrong.