Marriage: working-wife or non-working wife?

Discussion in 'Islamic Discussion' started by ahmed_indian, May 27, 2009.

?

Marriage: working wife or non-working wife?

1. working wife

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. non-working wife

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. not sure

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. ahmed_indian

ahmed_indian to Allah we belong

Ratings Received:
    +11 / 0
    :salam2:,

ofcourse i know there are many issues like what is the nature of workplace, is there mixing of men and women, is she supporting her family, etc.

i am only looking for your general preferance.

regarding me, i think i'll prefer non-working (maybe because i am an asian). but better if she's in dawah or charity work.

i generally dislike women working with men for 8 hours and then household works. It puts extra burden on them and sometimes bring some discord in the family.
  2. Nayyararsi

Nayyararsi Kashmiri Brother

STUDENT
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0

Assalamualaikum

Brother i completely disagree with you.Accordindg to me women should work and they should be encouraged to work if we want a modest and peaceful society.

If we need to have the male female segregation then females have to work.We need the female teachers,lecturers,professors etc to teach the females,we need the female gynaecologists,female surgeons,etc in our hospitals so that other females wont have to go to male doctors,we need the women police and we need women in several other fields to ensure the modest and humble society.
  3. IbnAhmad

IbnAhmad Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0
    salaam

i dont really know to be honest...depends on where she works and stuff :)
    to be honest as long as your wife is covered up properly i dont think its a problem as of course you should be able to trust your wife :)

wassalam
  4. helpinghumanity

helpinghumanity Junior Member

College Graduate
    Home page:
    Ratings Received:
    +32 / 0
    :salam2:

I definitely don't want my wife to be working. This will be one of the conditions for marriage.

I myself live in a society where gender mixing is common. School, colleges, and work places. Especially at work places women suffer a lot.... to be honest with you. They are treated as Napkins.....just use it and throw it.....(I am sorry to say that). I don't want my wife to be humiliated like that.

However when it comes to dawah and Islamic teaching then inshallah i will let her work. Pick and drop her to various location etc. But besides that ABSOLUTELY NOT....inshallah
  5. amna_muslimaa

amna_muslimaa TRUELY MUSLIMAA

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    As far as i know may be there more mens who would deffinetly not like her wife working then the mens who like her wife working.....
    walaikumsalam
  6. OsMaN_93
    Amused

OsMaN_93 Here to help

Home page:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0

I'm bit too young for this haha! but inshallah as long as Allah and us are happy with it, then it should be okay. Besides, when I finish my studies and become a dentist :p with the help of Allah, we will have more than enough time and money.
    I'll work for approx. 3 hours a day. We could get a maid if she wants to work.
    I would advice her to work from home, if possible.

Besides, why would you want to work if you have (almost) everything you want (money, time, children, fun....) in this world?

You know what, this made me think, I might as well marry a woman who is a dentist, hmmm... inshallah!
    Hehe :D :salam2:
  7. Ibn_hassan

Ibn_hassan Servant of Allah

student (O' lord increase me in knowledge)
    Home page:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    If the husband is working why does the wife need to work? I dont see the point, it is for the husband to earn the living for the family. :wasalam:
  8. q8penpals

q8penpals Junior Member

Computer Teacher at an Arabic/English bilingual Sc
    Ratings Received:
    +8 / 1
    Assalam aliekum

If women don't work, who is going to educate your daughters? If women don't work, who is going to medically treat your wives, mothers, sisters, and daughters? You want your girls to be taught by men only? You want your women seeing only male doctors, even for baby delivery, pap tests, breast exams, etc? If you don't allow your women to be teachers, doctors, professors, nurses, etc., then YOU are forcing women to mix with men in the instances that they need teachers and professors and doctors, etc.
  9. Kakorot

Kakorot Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0
    :wasalam:

nice topic. when i get married InshaAllaah I want to carry on working for a bit. It's only when I start having children InshaAllaah then I will take a break, but then when they grow I would want to go back to work, as I would want my children to go to madrassa. I'm wana be a nurse InshaAllaah, still thinking.
  10. allah is with me

allah is with me Rabana Wa laqal Hamd

preaching others bout islam
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0
    is this for brothers? i also want to answer..so okay, if i would be a guy, then i would choose a working wife...
  11. abubaseer

abubaseer tanzil.info Staff Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0
    LOL :SMILY303:
  12. helpinghumanity

College Graduate
    Home page:
    Ratings Received:
    +32 / 0
    :wasalam: Sister:

We also dont want our wife to be humiliated. We also don't want our wives to neglect our children. We want to have wife who cares about the husbands. Who cares about their homes and who cares about their children. We want to give positive message to our children that whenever you are down we are their to help you. We are there to listen to you.

How would you feel if you (being a daughter) came from school, and you don't see you mama because she is too busy at work. She has no time for you But she does have time for others. She is educating others but she is forgetting you. She left you with babysitters, who just want money. That babysitter doesn't have a pound of love for you.

Educating children and working or two different things.

13. IbnAhmad

IbnAhmad Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0
    salaam

i just want to say i agree with you ukthii...may allah swt bless you..amiin :)
    :)

wasalam
  14. helpinghumanity

College Graduate
    Home page:
    Ratings Received:
    +32 / 0
  15. Nayyararsi

Nayyararsi Kashmiri Brother

STUDENT
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    Assalamualaikum

Brother asking a counter question is not the answer to the question.Sister q8penpals asked that how you are then going to prevent the mixing between men and women and you are asking a counter question.

Further there might be the problems in your country but case is not same everywhere so you cant make a general statement.I think you do not know but the first wife of Prophet was Khadija(MAY AALAH BE PLEASED WITH HER) AND SHE WAS A WORKING LADY.So when Prophet had no problem marrying a working lady i think that no muslim should have as long as the job is modest.
  16. Muslimah16

Muslimah16 ServantOfAllah*

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0

If i ever wer to get married I would like to work as an Islamic teacher.

If my partner would disagree, then ofcourse i would leave the job. But inshaAllah he wouldnt do that, We need Muslim sisters out there to help teach others.

I totally agree with what sister q8penpals has said.
  17. TeenagerMuslim

TeenagerMuslim Junior Member

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    A working wife, with very flexible hours - to make sure that she is able to give maximum time to her husband and the family.

I would like to offer her the Option not having to do a job, as Islam has suggested. But it's her choice in the end, of course.
  18. stiks

stiks Amatur-Rahman

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    Asalaamualaykum,

It seems to me that we are struggling to find the precarious balance! We want our women to stay at home but we also want them to be treated, educated, served etc, etc, by Women.

Different women want different things, are capable of doing various sorts, and are quite able to choose the best decisions for their selves (inspite of what some wish). What works for one might not work for someone else. If a lady is able to work and look after the family (with a little help from mr. husband ofcourse) then she should.

Personaly speaking i would absolutely go barking if i had to stay day in day out in the house! even if i were married i'd work part time. Whereas someone else might find all the satisfaction in staying at home!

This is not a decision that should be made generaly but each family should make it according to what will work out best for them plus its not a decision that a man should take without consulting with his wife!
  19. slaveofAllah88
    No Mood

slaveofAllah88 Slave of Allah (swt)

Slave of Allah
    Ratings Received:
    +67 / 0
    aslam o alikum,

I really dont see a problem in a wife working if she is not mingling with the member of the opposite sex, and abstaining from evil while keeping her modesty, whats the big deal.
    especially before kids, but i have to agree with "stiks"

This is not a decision that should be made generaly but each family should make it according to what will work out best for them plus its not a decision that a man should take without consulting with his wife!

Alot of times husband (as observed by me) just want things their way forgetting Women should have an equal say.
  20. Hard Rock Moslem

Hard Rock Moslem I'm your brother

Allah's servant
    Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0
    I voted for "non-working wife" because I was responsible in asking my wife to quit her dream job. The kids grow better when their mother is at home. But in some situation, women may have to go to work to reduce husband's burden.