Medical aspects of the prohibition of pork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseguy74

Assalam O Alaikum,

I know Islam, Christianity and may be other religions prohibits us from eating pork but is there anyone in my TTI family who can tell me the medical aspects of the prohibition of pork. May be a report published in any well known medical journal.

Being a Muslim I do follow this prohibition but I just need this information for making it easier for non-muslims since they don´t believe on Muslims and always question that if pork meat is not good for health than why it is widely used in so to say scientifically more advance countries? as a matter of fact we haven´t seen much cases on this as well.

Wassalam

p.s : only refer medical reports not any islamic fatwa or website.

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Hope this helps..

Salam,

Here's what i got. I wouldn't say that this is a medical report but something that I've bookmarked before. It's from the web: themodernreligion.com/misc/hh/pork.html

I've also been trying to find this kind of info but it's not dat easy. This is the best I could find.
Hope it helps--->

Bad effects of pork consumption

Pig's bodies contain many toxins, worms and latent diseases. Although some of these infestations are harbored in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far more predisposed to these illnesses than other animals. This could be because pigs like to scavenge and will eat any kind of food, including dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, excreta (including their own), garbage, and other pigs.

Influenza (flu) is one of the most famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is harbored in the lungs of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and humans in the cooler months. Sausage contains bits of pigs' lungs, so those who eat pork sausage tend to suffer more during epidemics of influenza. Pig meat contains excessive quantities of histamine and imidazole compounds, which can lead to itching and inflammation; growth hormone, which promotes inflammation and growth; sulphur-containing mesenchymal mucus, which leads to swelling and deposits of mucus in tendons and cartilage, resulting in arthritis, rheumatism, etc.

Sulfur helps cause firm human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage. Eating pork can also lead to gallstones and obesity, probably due to its high cholesterol and saturated fat content. The pig is the main carrier of the taenia solium worm, which is found it its flesh. These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This type of tapeworm can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage. One in six people in the US and Canada has trichinosis from eating trichina worms which are found in pork. Many people have no symptoms to warn them of this, and when they do, they resemble symptoms of many other illnesses. These worms are not noticed during meat inspections, nor are they killed by salting or smoking. Few people cook the meat long enough to kill the trichinae. The rat (another scavenger) also harbors this disease. There are dozens of other worms, germs, diseases and bacteria which are commonly found in pigs, many of which are specific to the pig, or found in greater frequency in pigs.

Pigs are biologically similar to humans, and their meat is said to taste similar to human flesh. Pigs have been used for dissection in biology labs due to the similarity between their organs and human organs. People with insulin-dependent diabetes usually inject themselves with pig insulin.

:hijabi:

Wiseguy74

Thanks for the reply........ On many Islamic websites I myself have read about the diseases that can be caused on the consumption of pork but unfortunately haven´t come across any report or article from any well known medical journal or body talking the same. Wierd.

Dosen´t mean that we should start eating it :)..... have faith on Allah(swt) and eat what we are allowed to eat.

Wassalam

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah
Assalamaliakum.

I hope this helps.

Microbial evidence: There are good number of germs, parasites and bacteria that infest swine and live in its flesh which, when it is eaten, transmit diseases to humanity. Among these parasites are: tapeworms, round worms, hook worms, faciolopsis buski, paragonimus, clonorchis senesis and erysipelothrix rhnsiphathiae.

Concerning the worm taenia, there are two species: one in fests cattle and is called taenia saginata and the other infests the hog and is called taenia solium. There are some differences in their shape and life cycles, as well as in the damage they cause in the body if the infested meat is eaten. For instance, the Saginata stays in the intestine of a human being and completes its life cycle there. Therefore the damage is restricted to the GI tract. Hence, the use of drugs will eliminate the worms and relieve the person from their damage. On the other hand, Solium cannot complete its life cycle in intestines and there for it passes through the walls of the intestines and goes with the blood stream to all parts of the body.

The germs settle down in some of the vital organs in the human body as the brain, eyes, heart, lunges, muscles and liver. In order to complet thier life cycle they form cysts whose shape and size are of a pea ar larger. If it happens that such a cyst or cyst are formed in the brain, they cause damage, cramps, loss of consciouse, hysteria and or insanity. However, if it happens that these cyst reach the heart, they create high blood pressure and most likely, heart attack.

Concerning the diseases that are transmitted by eating pork, In short the pig the supreme germ carrier, is the couse of many serious and fatal deseases, among they dysentery, trichinisis, tapeworm, round worm, hook worm, jaundice, pnemonia, suffocation, intestinal obstuction, acute pancreatitis, enlagment of the liver, diarrhoea, emaciation, high fever, hindering growth development in children, typhoid,lameness, heat trouple, abortion, sterility and sudden death.

You could read "Pork Possible Reasons For Its Prohibition"

Wasaalaam:astag:

Marwa17

First off, I think as muslims we don't question the reason behind why Allah has prohibited us from doing something...like it's haram for us to drink wine...doctors are now coming out with new studies saying that it is good for the heart...it does not matter...it's still haram...
I know a lot of non muslims who say they cannot follow islam b/c they feel that they are forced to follow blindly...
That's not true though...no mattter what medical journal writes the not eating of pork is not the basis of islam...we don't know why Allah prohibited it...but because we fear him and love him above all else we do it...
I know you guys are all aware of this fact...just thought i should mention it anyways...lol
Salam

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

There is nothing wrong with finding out the reasons for such things, in fact it can be beneficial. People ask why muslims can't touch dogs, now scientists have discovered that they habour bacterian,germs and other unhygenic particles. People ask why we can't eat pork, plently of studies have shown that they have high levels of parasites and other germs within them, not suprising as they even eat their own excrement. Allah(swt) is the all wise and all knowing, so even if scientist say things which are prohibited to us in Islam are benificial, whose word will you take? That of Allah's or the scientist?

:wasalam:

Muslimah77

Slave of Allah (SWT)
Pork is Forbidden

:salam2: Brother,

The reasons why pork is forbidden in Islam is discussed in Dr Zakir Naik's book called Answers to non-Muslims’ common questions about Islam.

Dr Zakir Naik is a Medical Doctor by professional training and a very famous Indian Scholar of Islam and Comparative Religion (Website: www.irf.net).

Here is the answer to your question from his book:

PORK FORBIDDEN

Question:
Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?

Answer:
The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork prohibited in Qur’an

The Qur’an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places. It is prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah.”
[Al-Qur’an 5:3]

The above verses of the Holy Qur’an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible

The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus:

“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you”.

“Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you.” [Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy:

“And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass.” [Deuteronomy 14:8]

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verses 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases

The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various helminthes like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which is in Layman’s terminology called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack, if it enters the eye it can cause blindness, if it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Trichura Tichurasis.

A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from Trichura Tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ova present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth

The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In the villages they don’t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour’s excreta.

6. Pig is the most shameless animal

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. In America, most people consume pork. Many times after dance parties, they have swapping of wives; i.e. many say “you sleep with my wife and I will sleep with your wife.” If you eat pigs then you behave like pigs.

:wasalam:

Najmoen

Pork in disguise

Assalaamu Alykum

In reply to Wiseguy74's question, their are numerous answers and reasons for not consuming pork, but for Muslims, the only reason we require is that Allah (SWA) commands us to do so. This doesn't mean we blindly follow but choose to do so in obedience to divine law. Yes, we may question Allah commands but not defy it, as questioning brings about specific knowledge. Knowledge that would never have materialised without ponderance.

Pigs are the worlds filthiest animal, some would argue if a pig had a better personality, it would cease to be a filthy and would be charming. But that is exactly the point, as part of their makeup, pigs are inherently filthy, its encoded in their DNA. They are destined to live in filth and have the necessary bacteria in their bodies that can counteract and consume the bacteria of decaying carcasses and effluent that they consume. Flush toilets are a modern day invention but for more than 5000 years in India pigs have been eating human excreter. That is its role in life, the cleanser of filth, the vacuum cleaner. Its is the only animal that can grow big and fat from eating filth, any other animal would have died before it reaches maturity, even with all the sicknesses described in all the other replies pigs survive.

Pigs also has a very shot digestive tract with the consequence that whatever it eats, is absorbed into its blood system within minutes as opossed to humans who have a long colon tract that can take up to 4 hours for digestion to take place. Meaning, if a pig ate its own excreter / worms / rotting flesh, it would be in its bloodstream within the hour and if someone came along and ate the pig they would also be eating its recycled food. Pigs do not eat fresh meat, for example a chicken that just died, it will leave it until the chicken starts to rot and stink then it would eat it.

Pigs do not have a jugular vein (throat) position as sheep, goats and cattle has, as observed at Qurbaan, the pigs jugular vein position is in the centre of its neck, thus if it is slaughtered in the conventional way, most of the nerves between the heart and the brain would be severed causing its heart to stop before it started pumping the blood out of its body the consequence is that the pigs blood congeales inside its flesh and whoever eats its flesh is also eating congealed blood. “Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah.” [Al-Qur’an 5:3]

There is a virus called the PRRS (Pig Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome) which causes pigs to suffer AIDS-like symptoms http://www.prrs.org/ I assume this is a divine sickness built into the pigs DNA to stem the pig population on earth. Is it possible that pig-eating-humans contracted PRRS from eating pork which assimilated in the human body as HIV-AIDS which is now the greatest threat to mankind due to their disobedience to the law off Allah?

Alghamdullillah if this is the case, let it be said that the Muslims have the lowest rate of AIDS in the world, and the highest obedience to the laws of Allah and will not eat gharam. However, Muslims need to be very careful with the various food additives (E codes example: E120, E252, E430 - 436, E441, E470a, E474, E542, E63, E 635) derived from animal matter that are used as preservatives. (The E indicates that it is a "European Union approved" food additive.) The lower numbers in the example list is from insects and the higher numbers are definitely from animal mater most likely pigs.(Bones and marrow, skin, ears, etc...) The food industry has devised these codes for additives, Emulsifier, Flavour enhancer, Stabilizer, Anti-caking Agent, Gelling Agent, Antioxidant etc... They disguise the component with and E and Muslims buy numerous processed foods unknowingly also eating pork. Subagaan Allah!

We need to discuss this topic further but right now I have to go!

Shukran wa Ma 'asalaama

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

I quickly wanted to ask a question while we are talking about medical issues.:SMILY176:

If you are a heart patient and you need your medication everyday and it has animal products does it matter?

:wasalam: :shake:

Najmoen

Alternative medicine

I quickly wanted to ask a question while we are talking about medical issues.:SMILY176:

If you are a heart patient and you need your medication everyday and it has animal products does it matter?

:wasalam: :shake:

Shukran for the question. Many cough medicines has alcohol as its base ingredient and those who are conscious of not wanting to consume gharaam tend to use alcohol-free medicines instead. Most diabetics who are insulin dependent, use insulin derived from pigs as its meat, adrenalin and endorphins are similar to that of humans. But there is insulin available that does not come from an animal source. Likewise there must me heart medication that may be used as an alternative. Please enquire.

Remember, modern medicine is only about 100 years old and is the only strain of medicine that practices the use of animal extracts. Ancient Chinese medicine is over 3000 years old most compounds from roots, herbs, plants, bark etc... Likewise African sangomas (witch doctors) also medicate using roots, tubas, bulbs, and various other plants.

Honey is an excelent source of medication, not because I say so but because Quran says (16:69] " .... There comes forth from within it a beverage of many colours, in which there is healing for men; most surely there is a sign in this for a people who reflect.

I am not saying use honey in place of the heart medicine and that its an all cure but modern medicine says diabetic patients should stay away from sweet things including honey, however some persons with daibetis who used honey have better blood stability than those using modern medicine and advice.

So to answer your question, Nobody can make Halaal that Allah (SWA) has made Gharam, so I think it does matter? Seek out alternative medicine.

May Allah (SWA) provide you with guidance, Insah-Allah.

Ma-asalaama

Status
Not open for further replies.