Medical School in US

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
:salam2:

i was thinking of going to the Carribbean medical school , anyone currently there or have graduated from there?

I am confuse about residency in the US, does it have a big effect on achieving residency in the US?

anything will be appreciated :)

JazakALlah khair

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

Yes, going to a caribbean medical school has a great effect on the residency. Those schools are also not very good. However, some people may get high GPAs in caribbean schools and then score 99% on the STEP1 exam, which helps them to get good residency. Try your best to go to a U.S. school if you are living in that land. You must study hard to achieve high MCAT scores over 30 and have a good GPA, and have some good extracurricular activities, like community service, and you are sure to get accepted in a U.S. school. If you do not get accepted in the first year, then try to reapply again the next year and try applying to D.O. schools if you do not mind not having an M.D. Then you can also work before going to med school. As a last resort go to the caribbean, there are only four schools in the caribbean that are recognized in all 50 states and receive government student federal loans: Ross, SGU (this one is supposed to be the best), AUC, and Saba (I do not know if this school is eligible for government loans). Some people graduate from caribbean schools and end up with a useless M.D. diploma because of their lack of ability to get residency.