mouthwash

zarqa

please can someone explain to me the rulings on using mouthwash for hygienic reasons if it contains alcohol. i am not sure if i am posting this in the right section but the other night i read many threads (some regarding the very long mcdonalds debate) about eating foods with certain ingredients such as malt vinegar etc that actually contains a small amount of alcohol. This debate got me quite worried as there were then threads about ketchup etc things i had accepted as being halal. i have gone through all my cupboards and was very disappointed to learn my mouthwash ''listerine'' to be precise has this in it. I m confused so if someone can enlighten me i would be very gratefull.

:wasalam:

Daud McGuire

Say he is one
salam

Im not any one to take notice (Scholar), but if im not wrong you are not aloud to consume things that are intoxicants.

however if you are using it for mouth wash i doubt ur getting high. If that was the case, when you go into hospital, how would you think they will disinfect your wounds. OK we can say if the prophet (pbuh) ddnt use it we shouldnt. But then again we will need to stop driving cars.

If your concsience says no. Its a NO. If your consciounce says yes its yes. ONly Allah knows whats in your heart and the choices you make.

This is just my 2cents, hope you feeel better about it.

"A man looking out for your breathe"

Salam Alaikum

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Mouthwashes containing alcohol​

Question:
I have been advised not to use Listerine, a kind of mouthwash, because it contains some form of alcohol. However, if the kind of alcohol it contains is not an intoxicant, is there some other reason for its prohibition or would it be permissible to use it?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

If the alcohol which this mouthwash contains is not intoxicating, then it is ok. to use it, so long as it is not harmful, because what is haraam is only that which is intoxicating.

Shaykh Sa’d al-Humayd.

In this case we should look at the drink as a whole: if a lot of it causes intoxication then a little of it is haraam.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid