Muslims as portrayed by Bollywood

Abu Juwairiya

I won't speak for all actors and actresses who work in Bollywood and claim to be Muslim, but what about Shahrukh Khan. He said in a public TV programme he did not have time to pray Salah. He said he would love to pray, but could not do so. He is married, not to a Muslimah but to a Hindu and his home has an assortment of idols. His children are also Hindus.

I won't say all those who are in Bollywood will be like this, but the pressures, the image and the lifestyle will play a part and while no Muslim should be in Bollywood to begin with, but he/she should be aware of the difficulties ahead and we, those who are outside it, are aware of what the film industry and a Non Muslim one at that, represents at the outset.

zaman-gm

Salam,
Pray To Allah SWT for all.
Those who are known as a Muslim by name they should Believe the Fundamental of Islam and Iman.
If i try to understand and explain Islam according to my own thought surly i will fall in danger.
Once i heard that brother khan said he is a moderate Muslim. I didn't get it, how could a Muslim be a moderate. Does it mean that he can continue with his profession what ever he wants and address himself as a Muslim(moderate). Sorry to say Islam is not easy in this regard.

May Allah swt Guide us forgive us. Amin.

Abu Juwairiya

Salam,
Pray To Allah SWT for all.
Those who are known as a Muslim by name they should Believe the Fundamental of Islam and Iman.
If i try to understand and explain Islam according to my own thought surly i will fall in danger.
Once i heard that brother khan said he is a moderate Muslim. I didn't get it, how could a Muslim be a moderate. Does it mean that he can continue with his profession what ever he wants and address himself as a Muslim(moderate). Sorry to say Islam is not easy in this regard.

May Allah swt Guide us forgive us. Amin.

I agree. Muslims should either take Islam as it is and leave interpretation, understanding and application to those with knowledge and the proper training that it deserves. If one believes in the creed as it is, but does not practice it than that is between them and Allah, but the person who goes beyond this- to say you are a moderate, a relaxed Muslim, is to say you disagree with some key aspects which make up the Deen. To those Muslims who are labled as 'rank and file' or ordinary the situation is less of a public issue, but to those who are known either regionally or worldwide as 'celebrities', the situation is more graver.

Those in the public eye have choices. They can veil themselves from scrutiny by avoiding discussion, reveal little or try to accommodate others as much as possible or join the bandwagon by agreeing to what is incorrect about Islam. Those who engage in the first option still have a moral obligation to admit to themselves what they really believe, how much and to what extent they will defend and represent Islam or to not do so. The personal choice is what will define them and truly test their invigorating spirit or otherwise the lack of it.

mosabaig

Assalamoalakum

A muslim can do many wrong things but he/she can not a lier, Mr S our brother has imaan in his heart but need that courage and what is imaan without scrificing somthing for it, people in his kind of work are doing haraam and encouraging haram misguiding muslims and non moslims for sake of some material gains. Unless they repent and change their work and lifestyle they are risking a huge punishment. There are many muslims who need reminding and efforts are needed with scrificing our time to visit and revisit one on one bases and praying for them asking Allah to bring them back as they will set up a good example.
One bollywood actress is now a changed person and married etc by the name Veena Malik. These kind of muslims are fallen in a ditch they need help from fellow muslims to help them out with their messed up affairs.

Abu Juwairiya

Assalamoalakum

A muslim can do many wrong things but he/she can not a lier, Mr S our brother has imaan in his heart but need that courage and what is imaan without scrificing somthing for it, people in his kind of work are doing haraam and encouraging haram misguiding muslims and non moslims for sake of some material gains. Unless they repent and change their work and lifestyle they are risking a huge punishment. There are many muslims who need reminding and efforts are needed with scrificing our time to visit and revisit one on one bases and praying for them asking Allah to bring them back as they will set up a good example.
One bollywood actress is now a changed person and married etc by the name Veena Malik. These kind of muslims are fallen in a ditch they need help from fellow muslims to help them out with their messed up affairs.

Ma'shallah, it's always good to hear when Muslims are 'reformed', so to speak, and project a more enhanced and improved image of Islam through their actions, character or otherwise. Allah does not need us, we are the ones in need of Allah and the message/Shariah of the Messenger of Allah (SAW). Those with a better understanding of Islam, a high state of Eeman, knowledge and skills that can help the Ummah and ourselves can and should help lead the struggle to remove misguidance, both from forces outside Islam and those with weaker Eeman and choose to follow the misguided wrongly due to ignorance.

Those with an eagerness to follow Islam as it should be, but who for some or whatever reason, are at present unable to do so, Allah will guide them based on their circumstances, sincerity, abilities and willpower. They will also be tested on the way, just like everyone else.

Abu Juwairiya

Allah knows what condition is best for us:

The Messenger of Allah ( صلى الله عليه وسلم ) said, “Allah said:

‘Verily, from amongst My slaves is he whose faith cannot be rectified except by being inflicted with poverty, and were I to enrich him, it would surely corrupt him. Verily, from amongst My slaves is he whose faith cannot be rectified except by wealth and affluence, and were I to deprive him, it would surely corrupt him. Verily, from amongst My slaves is he whose faith cannot be rectified except by good health, and were I to make him sick, it would surely corrupt him.

Verily, from amongst My slaves is he whose faith cannot be rectified except by disease and illness, and were I to make him healthy, it would surely corrupt him. Verily, from amongst My slaves is he who seeks worship by a certain act but I prevent that from him so that self-amazement does not enter his heart. Certainly, I run the affairs of My slaves by My Knowledge of what is in their hearts. Certainly, I am the All-Knower, All-Aware.‘”
[Reported by al-Tabarani.]

Abu Juwairiya

I would also add that irrespective of what one thinks of Bollywood (or Hollywood for that matter), it is still a thriving multi- million dollar industry and from what I gather with a highly international lucrative market that is increasing year by year. According to statistics, more Bollywood movies are produced per year than those from its American counterpart.

Islamically, the issue is not about whether it is good or bad, had positive role models, portrays Muslims in a good manner, but if it is useful for Muslims to spend a great deal of time on watching, discussing and thinking about. In reality, as Muslims our time is precious, our lives are limited and we have one chance of making it successfully to the next. We have to account for our time used, our money spent, our youth passing and the legacy we leave behind to our families. Where does Bollywood fit into all of this and how many of us will be proud to assert on the Day of Judgment that some of it was utilized on watching films and many of them based on fiction anyway. We have to be careful on what we take from Muslims just in case it might be wrong or misleading, what then can be said from a Hindu film industry that has nothing to do with Islam in general and cannot on its own help us enter Paradise.