Names of Prophets in English and Arabic

Sanaa01

Muslima
Asalamo Alaikom brothers and sisters

Here is some info about prophets

Written by: Al-Imran Ibn Khatir 701 - 774 A.H. (1301 - 1372 C.E.)
Translated by: Sheikh Muhammad Mustafa Geme'ah of Al-Azhar

Allah sent many messengers to mankind to reveal and to reaffirm the universal message of Monotheism upon humanity. We only know of the messengers through the prophets and revelations. They came to civilizations passed and the long line of Prophets ended with the coming of the final revelation of the Quran to Mohammed. Even though in all there are far many prophets than the ones listed, however we have no knowledge of them. The prophets listed below are the ones we do know of through our Prophet and through the Quran.

Arabic Name>>>>>>>English Name
Adam
Idris >>> Enoch Approx. 1600-1800 after advent of Adam.
Nuh >>> Noah Approx. 1600 years after advent of Adam.

Hud >>>>>Approx. 2900 years after advent of Adam.
Salih >>>>Approx. 3000 years after advent of Adam.
Ibrahim >>>>Abraham Approx 3400 years after advent of Adam.
Isma'il >>>>>Ishmael Approx 3400-3500 years after advent oAdam.
Ishak >>>>>Isaac Approx 3400-3500 years after advent of Adam.
Yaqub >>>>>Jacob Approx 3500-3600 years after advent of Adam.
Lut >>>>>>>Lot Approx. 3400 years after advent of Adam.
Shuaib >>>>>Approx. 3900 years after advent of Adam.
Yusuf >>>>>>Joseph Approx. 3600-3700 years after advent of Adam.
Ayub>>>>>>>Job Approx. 3800 years after advent of Adam.
Dhul-Kifl
Yunus >>>>>>Jonah Approx. 3800 years after advent of Adam.
Musa & Harun>>>>>Moses & Aaron Approx. 4000 years after advent of Adam.
Hizqueel >>>>>>>Ezekiel Approx. 4800 years after advent of Adam.
Elisha >>>>>>>>>Elyas Approx. 4500 years after advent of Adam.
Shammil>>>>>>>>Samuel Approx. 4250 years after advent of Adam.
Dawud>>>>>>>>>David Approx. 4300 years after advent of Adam.
Daniel>>>>>>>>>Daniel Approx. 4800 years after advent of Adam
Uzair>>>>>>>>>>Ezra Approx. 4850 years after advent of Adam.
Zechariah>>>>>>>Zakariya Approx 5400 years after advent of Adam
Yahya>>>>>>>>>John Approx. 5400 years after advent of Adam.
Isa>>>>>>>>>>>Jesus Approx. 5400 years after advent of Adam
Mohammed>>>>>Approx. 6000 years after advent of Adam

Also click on the link to display prophets tree:

http://www.islamic-invitation.com/images/tree_b.jpg

Wasalamo Alaikom

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
Quite interesting... When I read about them it's like they're one after the other...But this is nice info.

@ brother ayman1>>>>>. It's a sister who posted

Sanaa01

Muslima
Asalamo Alaik brother
Thank you for the corrections

He left out Ilyasa` whose English name is Isaiah and Sulaymaan whose English name is Solomon.

If you click on the prophets tree link you will find All the names of prophets that are mentioned in the Qura'n and there English names

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
assalam alaikum warahmathullah wabarakaath.
They mentioned about the biggest things like flood in Nuh(pbuh) and about all the scriptures allah(swt) sent on human except I did not see ZABOOR mentioned near prophet DAWOOD(as) names,,... .
and also about numbering they gave prophet loot(as) 6 and Irahim(as) 7, but from what is taught to me, Lut(as) was the nephew of Ibrahim(as) who was sent to the people of sadoom.
and Allah swt knows best

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
also they must have given the arabic names for torah(taurat), gospel(injeel) and the names of the people to whome the prophet's were sent.I really do not like when islamic infos are all given in english names, other than what ALLAH(swt) has called the name to.atleast should mentioned the name ALLAh swt gave to them.
afterall we are all muslims. and what better name can be there be to call then what allah swt gave???????
I do not like this tree because of this.May be One of the TTI arabic/english sis/bro can do a tree with all arabic and english name and display here.that would be better I think

Abdul_Azeez

:salam2:

I don't want to be bugging... but do people names get translated across different languages? Like I will have a different name for every country that I go to as long as they speak a different language? It doesn't make sense to me.

I think the prophet names mentioned in the Quran & Sunnah are the original ones, and the others are the result of the modifications that happened to the original scriptures of prophets Musa and Easaa (peace be upon them). But I'm not sure, and it requires more reading to be 100% certain about it.

But it's beneficial information non-the-less. It helps when reading the current bible (some of the names mentioned here are new to me) or when talking to muslims who don't know the real names of the prophets (peace be upon them), and to show the similarities between the Quran and other books to christians and jews.

colleen.eha

Salam,
May Allah reward you!
This is SOOO HELPFUL!
I've been trying to compile a list.
My husband always tells me stories and some of them I know (I grew up on the bible) and I really REALLY appreciate this.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah

I don't want to be bugging... but do people names get translated across different languages? Like I will have a different name for every country that I go to as long as they speak a different language? It doesn't make sense to me.
:salam2: yap, they have.. like i know in chinese.because chinese language does not have alphabets, so it can't write any name,..it can only have some characters and for everythng there is charaters, like:
Mariya>>Maliya
david>>dawei
America cannot be written in chinese,,..so we tell "meiguo"
india>> indhu
pakistan>>>pajistan
sri-lanka>>sili lanka.
hmm.thats a language which I know that cannot write any name and have to change the name to the most similar tone of character because there is no alphabet.I also have another name in chinese because my name cannot be pronounced or written using the characters available in chinese.

Abdul_Azeez

thats a language which I know that cannot write any name and have to change the name to the most similar tone of character because there is no alphabet.I also have another name in chinese because my name cannot be pronounced or written using the characters available in chinese.

Thanks for the information :) I didn't know that there's no alphabet in chinese before.

We're agreeing on the same thing, but it's my fault I didn't make my point clear. What I meant was translation,like changing the name entirely to the word equal in meaning in a different language, not just pronunciation. For example: :salam2: in arabic letters mean "peace be upon you" in english translation and "Assalamu alaykum" in just pronunciation.

The point is: People names don't get translated across languages, but rather pronounced. So the names in the bible are not accurate, but rather names which got lost in pronunciation across different languages since the time of the original bible. The authentic source to get the names in their correct form (the ones they really had when they were alive) is the Quran. I remember sheikh Deedat (May Allah reward him) once said that if you call the christ "Jesus" he won't look your way because he had never heard that word before. They didn't have the letter J in their alphabet back then, anyway. I hope I made it clear this time.

May Allah bless you

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

I think the prophet names mentioned in the Quran & Sunnah are the original ones, and the others are the result of the modifications that happened to the original scriptures of prophets Musa and Easaa (peace be upon them). But I'm not sure, and it requires more reading to be 100% certain about it.

But it's beneficial information non-the-less. It helps when reading the current bible (some of the names mentioned here are new to me) or when talking to muslims who don't know the real names of the prophets (peace be upon them), and to show the similarities between the Quran and other books to christians and jews.

Same question crossed my mind while going through this thread. E.g. why should we call him Jesus when Allah called him as "Isa son of Mariam (peace be upon him)" in the Qur'an?

But yes, it is good to know their names in christianity and beneficial for daawah. Jazakallah khair for sharing.

Abdul_Azeez

Indeed, it doesn't make sense, but it is a historical fact. People used to translate names before. They don't now. As late as the 19th Century, Native American names were translated to English, like Chief "Running Horse!"

The Greeks translated names of the disciples, for instance, did you know that the name Peter comes from the Greek Petros which means a rock? That's because the disciple Peter's name was Sakhr, which is Aramaic (and Arabic) for a rock! They also translated "Messiah" which means the anointed one into Khristos which has the same meaning in Greek and that became Christ in English.
So the greek did the translation. Then the english just changed some letters to make them more acceptable into their culture. Now I understand.

Jazaka Allahu khairan for the input, akhi.