Need help using medicines with alcohol

friend263

Assalamualaikum dear sisters and brothers in islam i wanted to ask thatwhether it permissible to use such medicines in which alcohol denat
Is used actually From the past few days i am suffering from severe hairfall which has lead to decrease my hair a lot and when i went to the doc she suggested me some oral vitamins capsule and this medicine lotion which i have to apply on my scalp the name of the lotion is alpecin from Dr. Wolff research...

Also i wanted to know that can we use listerine so as to clen aour mouth becausr in that also in the ingredients coloumn alcohol is written...

HirraJaved

If i were you i wouldnt use any of those things, just in case its bad but its good your asking maybe someone will give a better answer.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Is it permissible to use medicine that contains as one of its ingredients alcohol? Is it permissible to use if it is being applied to the skin only?

Praise be to Allaah.

If the medicine containing alcohol is essentially an intoxicant, such that drinking a large amount of it would make one drunk, then it is haraam to take it or to give it, because the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whatever makes one drunk in large amounts, a little of it is haraam" (Reported by the four muhadditheen and others; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 5530). If it is not an intoxicant, then it is permitted to give it and to apply it to the skin, etc.

And Allaah knows best.

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/601

What is the ruling on medicines that contain a percentage of alcohol?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not permissible to mix medicines with alcohol, because alcohol must be thrown away. It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: We had some wine belonging to an orphan, and when al-Maa’idah was revealed (i.e., the prohibition of khamr or alcohol), I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about it and I said, “It belongs to the orphan.” He said: “Pour it away.”
Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1263; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.
Secondly:
If the medicine is mixed with alcohol, and the percentage of alcohol is so great that this medicine is intoxicating, then it is khamr and it is haraam to take it.
If the percentage of alcohol is very low and it does not intoxicate, then it is permissible to take it.
It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/110):
It is not permissible to mix medicines with intoxicants, but if it is mixed with alcohol, if drinking a lot of it will cause intoxication, it is haraam to handle it and drink it, whether a small amount or a large amount. If drinking a lot of it will not cause intoxication, then it is permissible to handle it and drink it. End quote.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect. End quote.

Liqaa’aat il-Baab il-Maftoohah, 3/231.

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/40530

friend263

Is it permissible to use medicine that contains as one of its ingredients alcohol? Is it permissible to use if it is being applied to the skin only?

Praise be to Allaah.

If the medicine containing alcohol is essentially an intoxicant, such that drinking a large amount of it would make one drunk, then it is haraam to take it or to give it, because the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whatever makes one drunk in large amounts, a little of it is haraam" (Reported by the four muhadditheen and others; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 5530). If it is not an intoxicant, then it is permitted to give it and to apply it to the skin, etc.

And Allaah knows best.

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/601

What is the ruling on medicines that contain a percentage of alcohol?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not permissible to mix medicines with alcohol, because alcohol must be thrown away. It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: We had some wine belonging to an orphan, and when al-Maa’idah was revealed (i.e., the prohibition of khamr or alcohol), I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about it and I said, “It belongs to the orphan.” He said: “Pour it away.”
Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1263; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.
Secondly:
If the medicine is mixed with alcohol, and the percentage of alcohol is so great that this medicine is intoxicating, then it is khamr and it is haraam to take it.
If the percentage of alcohol is very low and it does not intoxicate, then it is permissible to take it.
It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/110):
It is not permissible to mix medicines with intoxicants, but if it is mixed with alcohol, if drinking a lot of it will cause intoxication, it is haraam to handle it and drink it, whether a small amount or a large amount. If drinking a lot of it will not cause intoxication, then it is permissible to handle it and drink it. End quote.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect. End quote.

Liqaa’aat il-Baab il-Maftoohah, 3/231.

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/40530
SO it means i can use it? But still confused

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

Here is mobile number to imam in my country (Finland). Imam speaks Finnish, English and Arabic:

Anas Hajjar: 041 5361870

:muslima:

Oops you need Finnish areal code before it... Ask it from Google.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

The fatwa is saying to stay clear of alcohol if you think it might intoxicate even in a little amout. That scalp lotion is to apply on your scalp, right? As a rule, mostly all skin creams have some form of alcohol. You're not drinking it. However, I would stay clear of the Listerine - there are plenty of other brands that don't use alcohol..

friend263

t: 603657, member: 6103"]Salam alaykum

Here is mobile number to imam in my country (Finland). Imam speaks Finnish, English and Arabic:

Anas Hajjar: 041 5361870

:muslima:

Oops you need Finnish areal code before it... Ask it from Google.[/quote]
Jazaki allahu kharen sister herb u gave me a very useful number i will try to call him today itself. Also sisiter if u could give me the number of any imaam in india because calling up an imaam internationally will cost me a lot i hope u understand or any personal e mail id of this imaam where i can tell.him my priblems and he can reply...i hope.u understand